• Published 5th Feb 2023
  • 374 Views, 69 Comments

Adventures in the TARDIS - Scroll



An extention of the adventures of Feather Wind, Stern Wing, and Vision's journey with eccentric Time Lord the Doctor and his adorable assistant, Derpy Hooves.

  • ...
1
 69
 374

PreviousChapters Next
Stranded in Space Part 7: Knights of the Hourglass

“There he is!” Feather Wind exclaims when the Doctor and Doctor Kelly both enter the TARDIS control room together. “He's up.”

“I told you he would come, and I know you believed me,” Vision remarks. “So don't act all surprised now.”

“It's good to see you back on your hooves,” Stern Wing tells the Doctor warmly.

“How is he?” Derpy asks Doctor Kelly. “I assume you checked on him before the two of you came here.”

The Doctor regards Doctor Kelly as she sighs then says, “I did detect a lot of residual energy of what I would normally call magical energy, but apparently is regeneration energy natural to his race to help them recover from a death blow. That energy was stronger earlier but appears to have stabilized now.”

“But why did it trigger in the first place?” asks Stern Wing. “As best as I can tell, the Doctor didn't suffer a death blow unless shouting at the top of his lugs counts.”

“There are extra factors in play here that I wasn't aware of until recently,” the Doctor informs as his look transfers from Kelly to across all the rest of his companions. “This particular instance isn't a regeneration in the traditional sense. Instead, it's more like a burn off of excess energy that I had stored in my body. Apparently it got there sometime shortly after I arrived in this pony universe.

“That's not all. Fragments of my memories from an earlier time have returned to me that helps to explain some of this experience. Apparently it was a memory I sealed from myself until the proper time. That time is now to some extent.”

Everyone falls silent for a moment as they digest what is said. During that time, the Doctor looks at and then approaches the TARDIS controls. He takes that step up beyond the rail surrounding the console. From there, he affectionately pats it.

“The memory I have unlocked has also helped me to realize a deeper meaning of a proclamation, and recent goal, of mine,” the Doctor goes on after the long pause. “Ever since I learned that the Time War exists in this pony universe too, the wheels of my mind kept on turning. Some goals and plans came into especially stronger focus when I learned that the Magi has, in their possession, an unusual fleet of TARDISs.”

The Doctor gazes up at the contraption in front of him which continues all the way up to the ceiling.

“There is something important you all need to keep in mind when it comes to time travel, though,” the Doctor goes on. “and that is if something is ever going to happen in the future then it already has happened from the perspective of some other timeline. That's important to note because it means the results of our future actions can already be felt. That, in turn, helps us to achieve our goals in the first place. A causality loop is thus formed.”

The Doctor spins about and then approaches the rail leading beyond the center console. From there, he props his forehooves up on top of the rail as he continues to gaze down at the rest of his companions.

“That is why every one of you needs to make an informed decision here. I initially drew you in to help keep me company in my adventures and, in exchange, I show you what is out there in all of time and space.” The Doctor scans across Feather Wind, Stern Wing, and Vision as he adds, “For some of you inviting you here had a more specific purpose. I also did it to save your lives and to prepare you for what you left behind.” He looks across them all again. “Ultimately, all I really intended was for us to have fun learning and exploring together, but my purpose out here has since gained more focus and a large-scale goal. In pursuit of that goal I, and anyone who volunteers to join me, may assist me to whatever degree that they can. As such, we may feel the shadows of the Time War as we continue to prepare for it.” He lifts a hoof. “But beware. Those the Time Lords fought against also had access to time and space travel in order to keep up with their enemies. If we continue this journey with the purpose of helping to refine the outcome of that War then we can also expect the shadows of the Time Lords' enemies to also try to get in our way. That might come in the form of hired thugs, conquered slaves, deceived fools, cowed cowards, or even the Daleks themselves.

“So you need to know that, if you choose to continue this journey with me, it may also be with a commitment to a larger purpose with its own slew of enemies and allies who are each fighting on opposite sides of this goal. I run into incidental villains and obstacles all the time in many worlds that I visit, but if the enemies of the Time Lords get involved, or even the Time Lords themselves in a hostile way, for not every one of them wanted peace, then you need to know that we could also be the target of a focused assault at any moment. An organization that specifically targets and attacks us, and maybe those dear to you, just to keep us from reaching our goal.

“With all of that in mind, from now on, I'm going to have to ask you all, and every would-be companion that might join me ever on into the future, if you and they are willing to commit to a purpose this grand. I don't plan on avoiding the fun stuff and generally trying to enjoy the journey as much as possible, but the shadows of one of the greatest conflicts I have ever known may be felt here and there, so what do you think about all of this?

“Keep in mind that I would not blame any of you for wanting to back off now if you think this is a whole lot more than you have willingly signed up for. In that case, I'll accommodate you with the safest option I can think of. It's your life, your choice, and I shall always respect that. I also want you to be aware that I'll always value you personally no matter what you decide from here on. Furthermore, if you ever change your mind about this in the future, just let me know.”

The Doctor looks at and addresses Derpy directly as he says to her, “Derpy, since you are the first of my present companions to join me, I'll ask you this question first. After being informed of everything I have said here, do you wish to continue your journey with me while aware of the enhanced risks involved?”

The Doctor falls silent as he waits for his answer. Derpy gazes about and notices that everypony is now paying her focused attention. Probably also Vision in her own way. When she realizes this, she blushes shyly for a second, but then shakes it off as she puts more focus on the Doctor's question. She pauses for a moment as she considers her feelings and words carefully before looking back up at the Doctor initially with both eyes but the left eye lazily drifts off.

“When you first told me that you were a time traveler, I got excited. I don't know why I believed you so much at first other than seeing your cutie mark, but there was this shade of doubt in me as well. You exhibited plenty of other signs that made me think that you might be crazy too, and for a short while there, I stopped taking you seriously until I noticed how committed you were to saving lives.

“Then, as the journey continued, you opened my eyes to many wondrous possibilities and with the promise that there would be many more to come. All of that excited me and made me feel special. Continuing my journey with you gained intense allure for me even while knowing there would be danger involved.

“Danger, but also an important purpose. Whenever I faced that danger with you, it often resulted in something vastly more positive than it would have been had we not intervened. I grew proud of myself for that reason. Finally I, the most klutzy and ditsy pony in Ponyville, who used to feel so worthless for so many reasons, am privileged to be offered the chance to be part of this grand journey. I couldn't believe it. I often wondered what it is about me that you found so valuable and special.

“But whatever it is, I decided for myself that I would remain committed to helping you no matter what that entails because you, Doctor, are now among the most important ponies I have ever known. I . . . I . . .” she heavily blushes shyly. “. . . I love you and . . . and . . . I want to be a part of your life as much as I can be.” Her blush fades as she gets a more determined look. “You're important to me so I want to remain by your side and help you as much as possible no matter what you may face.” She shakes her head. “Knowing there is extra risk involved doesn't change anything because I know it will only enhance our purpose too. Both always go hoof and hoof with you. That's what I learned in this journey and I'm proud to remain a part of that.

“So, uh . . .” she shyly swings her right forehoof back and forth for a second. “There you go. That's my two bits on this issue.” Her shy smile seems to convey that they can move on to somepony else now.

“Thank you for sharing that and for making your feelings clear with honesty and integrity,” the Doctor expresses back to her. “And for the record, as I said to you before, you are all very dear to my hearts as well.” He then focuses on Feather Wind next. “Feather?” he asks in a way that clearly implies it is the small blue stallion's turn next.

Just like Derpy did before him, Feather also looks around at the others gathered here and notices how their attention is focused on him now. Like Derpy before him, he also feels shy about that fact, but at least he expected it and was somewhat mentally prepared for it. Also, like Derpy before him, he closes his eyes and examines his thoughts and feelings carefully before opening his eyes and addressing the Doctor.

“There is much about this journey I did not expect. For me, it feels random like it came out of nowhere. I was still in the middle of trying to figure myself out as well as my purpose in life. I'm sure everypony in here with a cutie mark can appreciate the implications of that struggle on some level or another. Figuring out one's self is never easy.

“But wherever I go and whatever I do, I feel determined to pursue my destiny with authenticity. It's very important to me to fully be who I am and whatever that may entail.”

Feather Wind pauses for a brief moment before he sweeps his gaze across them all as he tells them, “Years ago, I followed cries on the Wind and discovered that a family of farmers were under attack by a force that had a hidden mastermind among the bunch, but it turns out the true source of the threat was even higher than that and my family was even connected to that threat.” Feather returns his gaze to the Doctor, this time with a sidewards look, as he goes on to say, “Before I launched myself to follow that call, I was scared. Part of me couldn't believe what I was about to do, but I did it anyway. I didn't really even fully consciously think about it. I just followed my instincts which I later discovered is so like me. A pony so deeply connected to nature would also innately follow its natural equilibrium. It took me a while to realize I can follow my destiny without any clear conscious plan. Following my heart was what led me to discover my cutie mark in the first place. I trusted it even when it told me something that seemed unlikely to be true. Ever since, I learned it may be my destiny to defy the seemingly impossible on a regular basis, for it seems to happen to me over and over again.

“Before I met any of you, who would have thought I'd ever become swept in a journey like this? That, too, many would have thought to be impossible, but here I am. Standing here as if I'm meant to be a symbol to represent that nothing is impossible.

“But ever I have been a feather drifting in the wind. I'm a smart pony too and capable of advanced plans, but in the end . . . this is always what I end up being. Just a Feather in the Wind.

“Destiny is its own wind of sorts, and the wind has ever been something I've naturally been well connected to. More and more, I've learned to trust it and it has led me here so far. There must be an important reason for that.

“Plus, I have this.” He telekinetically floats up the Red Crystal for emphasis. “In there marks the stains of my family's history. A family that has become well known to be sacred keepers of that history. But here lies hope for a change as well. This is the last of Sombra's true essence. This is the last that he could preserve after all that he had suffered through. I always innately respected others who try to be authentic with themselves. To that end, I'm fully willing to commit to helping him to fulfill his last wish; the return of the Crystal Empire into a state of freedom, and freedom has always been an innate theme of my life. Ever shall the Winds blow free as they desire. That is it's nature, and that is who I am.”

Feather Wind stops floating the Red Crystal.

“Thanks to Doctor Kelly, along with the inward guidance I had from Crystal Sage all along, I believe I am now proficient enough with this Crystal that I can start to use it for the purpose we had intended it for. I'm sure there is plenty of room to improve my connection with this crystal. I have plenty of time with that later, but elements of the Earth, like where this Crystal is born from, doesn't mesh with me as innately but I'm learning and I'm bound to get better.

“As for this journey,” he looks around the TARDIS, “I trust it to lead me to wherever I am meant to be. It may be more than I ever expected before, but when one is adrift in the whimsical winds of fate, one has to eventually surrender to it.”

Feather Wind focuses back at the Doctor as he goes on to say, “In my time of need, you came to save me.” He winces slightly as he asks, “How could you possibly believe that I wouldn't return the favor during your time of need?” His eyes return to normal. “Besides, I fully endorse the purpose you're trying to aim for. Minimize the scope of a very violent war? I'd be proud to be a part of that even as I wrestle with my fears at the same time. To me, it's worth the struggle. It's worth it and I trust you, Doctor, because I know you are a good pony at hearts. Anypony who is like that I am both happy and proud to call my friend.”

Feather Wind then casts a final nod as a non-verbal signal that he is done with his speech and sharing his thoughts about this specific issue for the time being.

The Doctor acknowledges that nod with a nod of his own before focusing his attention on Stern Wing.

Stern Wing passes a grin back at Feather Wind for a moment before looking back at the Doctor as she says, “It's Feather Wind here that is the poet who can come up with pretty and heroic-sounding speeches on the fly. Anything to do with 'flying' has ever been his forte no matter how unlikely it may seem at first.

“But me? I'm a far more simple mare who has a much greater focus on her destiny. I don't overanalyze myself or my destiny. As such, I'll keep this simple and brief.

“I am a guardian. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts about that. This journey gives me a chance to fulfill that role to a greater extent and I'm perfectly willing to be a part of that. You, Doctor,” she nods to the Doctor, “wish to do whatever is in your power to minimize a very bloody war. Translation: You wish to save lives. I can get behind that fully committed. As such, I'll back you up with any degree of strength that I have in me to help you to accomplish that goal.

“I am also a pony who is very loyal to her friends. Whenever I learn that my friends might be in greater danger, I don't back off. Instead, I just grow even more determined and resolved.

“That's all you'll get from me, Doctor. I am who I am, and that's all that I am. Take it or leave it.”

Stern Wing gives a firm nod to show that she is done as well.

“Very well,” the Doctor accepts then turns to Vision. “Vision, since I know you can't see me and my non-verbal cues, I'll just straight up tell you it's your turn now.”

Vision blinks once then says, “Feather and I are a lot alike in some regards. Ponies who can sense the winds of change. Perhaps one difference between us is I'm more willing to guide fate. That has ever been my purpose as a prophet else there would be no real reason for that foresight.

“Like Feather Wind, though, I am content to settle into my fate even as I guide it. The future is just a series of choices. I reveal what the options are and it is we who decide what to pick from among the options. Any future I can reveal can be avoided. The astute may realize that has ever been the theme of this journey. Nothing is fixed. Not even the past. All of time is mutable. All of time is a choice. I'm here to remind all of you of that fact so that you can properly respect and lay claim to your sovereignty in its entirety. Absolutely all of what is thought to be impossible is a record meant to be broken. Ultimately it all comes down to will and intention.

“And Doctor . . . you have made your will and intention quite known. For as long as you hold to that resolve, the future you wish to claim shall be yours. Time bends around our wills, Doctor, not the other way around. If you continue to hold to this course then of course you're going to run into more and more signs of it. If you suddenly changed course, then you'll find more and more timelines that run parallel to that new decision. That's how all of this works.

“Your hearts, and will, is a powerful draw, Doctor. It's like a vortex that drew all of us here. You attracted like-minded individuals who would have chosen to support you of their own free will. Accordingly, it's almost moot to ask us what our intentions are from this point forward because you've only ever attracted those who would agree with you anyway, at least whenever it comes to your most important goals and trusted companions. I understand why you value free will, but I want you to also realize what you are really dealing with here.

“Keep asking the others here if you don't believe me. In the end, they are all going to tell you the same thing. The same applies to everypony you will recruit.

“As it is willed, so shall it be. That has ever been the way of things.”

Now Vision falls silent.

Derpy mopes as she says, “It's hopeless to ever expect you to act your age, isn't it?”

“I believe I will surprise you no matter what your expectations are of me,” Vision says with a grin. “I think it's because, deep down, that's what you really want.”

Derpy shrugs as she says, “You may be right.”

“My turn, I take it?” Doctor Kelly checks as she floats a new lollipop into her mouth. “You seem to be going in the order your companions joined you, after all.”

In answer, the Doctor just nods at her.

“Well then. Let's see.” Doctor Kelly pauses a moment as she thinks about it. Unlike the others, though, she is acting way more casually about this.

“Being here was quite a shock for me too even though I got some forewarning about this,” Doctor Kelly expresses when she finally begins. “Issues like worthiness have been juggled in my mind. No matter how gifted or useful I clearly seem to be, part of my mind kept thinking that there could be somepony else out there more worthy than even me, so why me? Why was I chosen?”

Doctor Kelly looks at the Doctor.

“Helping those on this ship from a medical and psychological front was a given considering my prior talents, education, interests, and intentions. If I had a cutie mark, it likely would be a Red Cross or Pole with Twin Coiled Snakes or something of the like. What I am is clearly established and it is not a useless role on this ship, especially considering the frail condition of one of the members here.” She tilts her head. “Yet I also seem redundant because there was already a Doctor aboard this ship. His name is the Doctor because he is a doctor. Is my presence here an indication that this particular specialty will come in especially high demand? If so, then I'm glad I'm here.”

Doctor Kelly straightens her head as she says, “Another reason I seem to be here is to bear witness to your accomplishments, particularly in one regard, and that is the return of the Alphalmians to Water World. As a Magi, it is our sacred duty to guard the natives of that world. The fact that some of them got kidnapped anyway shows cracks in our defenses. Cracks that might have been there on purpose for some reason. For as long as I am here, I may bear witness to what really happened and then later share that testimony with my fellow magi perhaps.

“As for this Time War thing . . . I suppose my kind has always been a part of it. Ever since the Time War, the Doctor saved us from his own kind. That's likely the first of many to follow that pattern. We're already living in a reality where some of the Doctor's intentions come to fruition.

“On top of that, we just happen to have a fleet of hidden TARDISs at our disposal?” Doctor Kelly adopts a doubtful look. “Coincidence? Maybe, but we're talking about time travel here. Any possible fate we can imagine could have been engineered, and the Doctor's mind is capable of especially brilliant designs. He's already proven that time and time again. On top of that is the many varied talents of every companion he recruits from now unto all of eternity for all we know. Time Lords began their existence already capable of toying with something that many societies in the universe are already convinced is impossible to toy with to begin with, but we have always existed in a reality where this race can do this and others like them.” She floats her lollipop out of her mouth and points it across them all as she says, “I think the important thing to grasp, here, is precisely how that power is used.” She floats the lollipop back in her mouth. “Power, in any form, can be used to abuse or save lives. Time travel must, then, be regarded as a double-edged sword. It can be used for good purposes or bad purposes. The intent of various lifeforms in the universe has always been varied, so we can expect this to be no different. If you want to assume the role of a hero then realize that you'll be up against others with opposing viewpoints. In reality, that has always been true regardless if you meet the challenge or not. If you don't do it, somepony else will.”

Doctor Kelly looks down for a moment as she regathers her thoughts before looking forward again and resuming. “With all of that said, I don't mind being a part of that. I always valued history anyway. It would be very interesting to see it come alive. Likewise, I may encounter those who wish to both abuse and protect history. I'd like to think I fall in the latter category. I don't know why, but that feels like a role I'd naturally settle in.

“And I know I just joined this journey but I already feel too committed to feel satisfied just trotting away from it now. I want to see how this story ends. For me, at the very least. I also feel like we're doing something important, and I don't believe I'm the only one that sees it that way.

“There certainly can be far less important ways to spend one's life. Many, even most, of my kind are content to settle for that. Just fritter their lives away in ultimately trivial pursuits. Speaking for myself, however, I'd like to die someday knowing I've done something meaningful with my life. I may not see how that ending will be at this point. I'm not a seer.” She says with a brief glance at Vision. “But I am content to follow this story to the very end, come what may.” She looks at then nods to the Doctor. “So, in other words, just for the sake of clarity, I'm with you, Doctor.”

“Very well, then,” the Doctor says with a tone of acceptance. “You have all made your intentions quite clear. I can't say I'm surprised either given what I know of each of you so far, but I hope you understand and respect why I gave you this educated choice upfront. Before now, it was all about aimless wandering and perhaps getting caught up in a few overarching quests, but this has grown to something so much larger than I had imagined until recently. If we are going to do this, then we have become an organization with a united purpose. As such, what should we call ourselves from now on?”

“You mean something to signify what our purpose is as an organization?” Feather Wind checks.

“Aye,” the Doctor confirms with a nod.

“Well, we seem committed to becoming guardians of time,” Stern Wing points out. “I'm down for that.”

“True, but it's more than that,” the Doctor refines. “This is more than just protecting history from being abused. We have an active as well as reactive role in this story of ours. We are trying to form a specific version of history through our own actions and intentions. What name can we give ourselves to signify that purpose?”

“Well, if we're going to be involved in a war, however remotely, then it seems to me we've taken on the role of a warrior somewhat,” Doctor Kelly muses.

The Doctor winces as he says, “I've never been comfortable with the idea of warriors and soldiers because both of those roles support a war. I'm trying to oppose it, or at least minimize it.”

“But you are okay with the role of a guardian, correct?” Stern Wing checks. “If not, then why did you recruit me?”

“Of course I am,” the Doctor confirms. “Champions. Heroes. All of that. That I fully endorse.”

“How about a Knight, then?” Feather Wind proposes. “That conjures up words like a guardian and gallivant heroes. They can be warriors too if need be but they tend to have a more refined purpose than that. A knight is a symbol of something greater than themselves.” Then he grows a wide smile on his face. “I got it. How about we call ourselves the Knights of the Hourglass?”

“Knights of the Hourglass, huh?” muses the Doctor. “Huh. It has a nice ring to it. Well played, my warrior poet.” He looks across them all. “But that is just my opinion. If we're all going to be called something then I want it to be something we all agree with, so what do the rest of you think?”

“I'm down for that,” Stern Wing agrees. “I've come to expect anything Feather to come up with to have a nice ring to it. In this case, it sounds distinguished too. If I'm going to represent something, I want it to be something that would clearly show others where I stand. This is good enough for me.”

“I think it's excellent,” Derpy cheers.

“Works for me,” Vision accepts with a neutral shrug.

“Good as any, I suppose,” Doctor Kelly also accepts. “If we stick with this, then we can expect other future travelers with the same purpose to announce themselves by that as well. That's just something we need to keep in mind, then.”

“Knights of the Hourglass then!” the Doctor decides as he spins about to face the TARDIS controls. “Very well. With our united purpose and name in mind, it is time to continue our journey together. Onwards and Upwards, my friends!”

PreviousChapters Next