• Published 5th Feb 2023
  • 374 Views, 69 Comments

Adventures in the TARDIS - Scroll



An extention of the adventures of Feather Wind, Stern Wing, and Vision's journey with eccentric Time Lord the Doctor and his adorable assistant, Derpy Hooves.

  • ...
1
 69
 374

PreviousChapters Next
Part 6: New Opportunities

When the Doctor arises, he soon realizes that he must have passed out from sobbing too hard. It had been such a long time since he last did something like that.

The Doctor awakens in a new holographic room designed just for him. Doctor Kelly isn't there, but she did leave a holographic duplicate of herself which gives the Doctor a message to explain her absence and the fact she created this room for him to see to his needs. She also left him with plenty of information to help get him started on whatever he wants to do within his present legal limits.

To that end, the Doctor decides to finish getting his visitor's visa. When he does apply, he finds the laws do have a lot of common sense for the most part. Of the few laws that are a little more unique to this culture either involve their advanced technology in some way (and not every culture would indeed have that), or it involves the sacred duty of the race, such as taking care of and not interfering with the earth ponies down below.

That last one is noteworthy to the Doctor because that teaches him that the duty of this race towards the world they orbit is such common knowledge that even visitors to this moon are required to know this.

In any case, the Doctor passes his test with ease. Now armed with a digital certification as a legal visitor to this world, the next order of affairs quickly makes itself known. Close to the same place that shows the Doctor's new legal status and visa certificate, the Doctor receives an e-mail that reminds him of the interest of one of the members of Parliament to see him. If the Doctor accepts, he only has to push one virtual button on a holographic screen to not only accept the invitation, but to also transport him to a waiting room where he'll wait until the member of Parliament is ready to see him. This the Doctor accepts with no hesitation.


While the Doctor waits in a new, undoubtedly holographic room which is surrounded by windows in this circular room and has a circular couch on the lower center floor, he sifts through a transparent holographic window to review any data about this society that interests him. Among that information is various types of music. He plays them while doing his research.

The view out the windows made him seem to be in a tall tower that affords a view of a highly technological, seemingly planet-wide city that includes many lines of flying vehicles. When the Doctor first got here, this view fascinated him for a brief moment, but not for long because he knew it isn't real. Besides, he had been to other worlds where views like this are actually real.

While the Doctor waited, he also kept track of precisely how long he is waiting because he knows that can be a negotiation tactic sometimes. By keeping track of that, the Doctor can gauge the mindset of his new would-be host.

When the dual sliding glass doors open, the first ones to trot through are a pair of pegasi in regal-looking red armor. That armor covers every inch of them, including their face. Held in their right-wing appears to be some kind of plasma rifle. Noticing that detail causes the Doctor to wince in disdain a bit.

Once these guards trot in, they spread apart and flank both sides of the still-open door where they take their guarding stances.

The next individual to trot through is a bright red stallion with a very short black mane and tail, both of which are neatly trimmed. He has a small goatee on his chin. His eyes are golden brown and artificially glow slightly. His left eye is covered with an apparatus that has lots of lenses on it. When he regards the Doctor, that apparatus clicks through a few types of lenses as if he is trying to size up the Doctor in various ways.

The newcomer wears a golden chest plate and a long red shiny cape with a golden fan-like collar vest behind his head. The outfit is complete with a tiny golden cap at the center of his head which stretches back over his neck. He has golden plates on each of the front of his hooves which extend up to the first bending joint. They give each of his steps a bit of a metallic clicking sound.

To top it all off, the impressive and imposing motif is complete with a regal-looking staff that floats near his presence all by itself. It has a glowing red sphere at the top which whirls with a cloud within. The sphere is clutched by an image of a golden griffon talon.

That outfit, in particular, captures the Doctor's interest because that is actually a very close design to something the leaders of the Time Lords once wore, pony physiology notwithstanding.

After the Doctor takes in his own moment to size up this approaching individual, he stands up from the circular couches below and bows as he says, “Prime Minister Kratus Garivalidi, it is quite an honor for you to be graced by my presence.” The Doctor rises from his bow and gives the Prime Minister a coy look which, in turn, freezes the Prime Minister in surprise for several reasons.

The Doctor continues.

“You have kept me waiting for seven hours, forty-seven minutes, and sixteen seconds according to your time. You're obviously wanting to put me on edge as well as indicate that you're an important and busy man. Then, when you finally do show up, you do so in the royal regalia of my own people which even further serves to present your image of self-importance while simultaneously trying to advertise to me that you have had contact with my people before. I thank you for that information, Mister Prime Minister. I've been wondering if my people still existed in this universe.”

Prime Minister Kratus pauses for several seconds since he is so caught off-guard by what the Doctor had already said. Then he looks at the holographic window the Doctor had been studying. When he regards it, the apparatus over his left eye clicks through several lenses to take a closer look at that window and do it in several ways. Doing so makes him realize that the Doctor had been spending some time researching the various members of the current Parliament which includes the Prime Minister.

“I see you've done your research,” Prime Minister Kratus notes in an attempt to regain control of this conversation. “I suppose that comes as no surprise from you, Doctor.”

“And I see you're a pompous prick who likes to inflate his value as a first impression, but you and I both know you could have delegated your tasks more smartly and shown up to this meeting much sooner.

“Do us both a favor, Mister Prime Minister, and dispense with the bull crap. It does us both a disservice,” the Doctor warns.

“That's a pretty obstinate tongue you have there, Doctor,” the Prime Minister accuses with a wince of disgust. “I must say, I did not expect that from the legendary and only surviving Time Lord.”

“Surviving?” the Doctor echoes with alarm. “The other Time Lords are gone?”

Prime Minister Kratus's expression softens as he says, “That which we can tell. You might be the last of the Time Lords.”

“Because of the Time War?” the Doctor checks. This time the Prime Minister just nods. The Doctor's eyes then widen in shock as he exclaims, “That was the would-be conquerors of this society! It was my people that tried, and failed, to take you over! That would also explain how you got a hold of some of our tech.”

The Doctor looks away as his intense shock doubles again when he realizes something else extremely alarming.

“And it was I who will rescue you all from my own people. Ergo, I will participate in this universe's version of the Time War!!!”

The Doctor collapses on the couch behind him in a sitting position. His head rests over the top edge of the couch, staring up at the ceiling in horrified shock.

“By all the stars, NO! No, no, NOOOOOOO!” He covers his face with his forehooves. “I thought I was done with all that mess! The Time War! Bloody hells! Someone kill me now.”

At this point, Prime Minister Kratus is completely spooked and mostly lost. This meeting isn't going how he planned at all so far. Several things the Doctor said just went over his head, especially the term, “this universe's version of the Time War.” He is well aware of the existence of the Time War because his own people partially got caught up in it, but what other version is out there? Does it mean it will return again?

“Pony universe, you failed me! You're supposed to remain innocent!” the Doctor wails.

“Ah . . . should I come back another time?” Prime Minister Kratus asks nervously. The cool and regal mystique he was hoping to go for in this meeting seems to be shattered now. That leaves him uncertain about how to proceed which means a large part of his mind is calling for a tactical retreat and then later reassessing the situation. “You seem to have some issues to work out.”

“Wait a second!” the Doctor pops his eyes open as something else dawns on him, but this time it is a good thing. “What if it still is more innocent? Can I still arrange the war so that both sides are chucking apple pies at each other instead of laser blasts?”

Prime Minister Kratus says nothing because he has no idea what to say. He's barely following this conversation anyway, so that leaves him just observing in uncomfortable silence.

“No! I'll do it one better! I will make sure the war is settled that way!” the Doctor firmly decides. “The last time the War just dropped on my lap, but this time I have forewarning. Given enough prep time, I can arrange any circumstances in my favor! I have a time machine, after all, and plenty of time to use it. Whatever it takes, I'll make damn sure this war won't go down like last time.” The Doctor narrows his eyes as his grin grows. “This time I am Time Lord Victorious! I am, once again, the last one standing when the dust settles. If I'm to face the war again, then this time I'll do it on my own terms. This time I will remain The Doctor!”

“I can see that this is a bad time for you,” Prime Minister Kratus decides with an uncomfortable voice. “I'll arrange for a different meeting sometime later.”

The Doctor widens his eyes and then snaps his gaze back to his host as he exclaims, “What?! Oh no. No, no. I prefer we settle our issues between us now. It's obvious that you have an agenda with me and, quite frankly, the prospect is mutual. I wanted to see a member of this government body too. You are perfect in this regard.”

“Are you sure you're ready for this?” the Prime Minister double checks. “Because I can come back later.”

“No, no," the Doctor insists as he continuously shakes his head for two seconds then waves at part of the circular couch ahead of him. “Please. Why don't you sit down and make yourself comfortable,” the Doctor invites as a statement even though his sentence was technically phrased like a question. “Whatever issues we both have with each other, I'd rather settle them now so I can move on with my journey with a clear conscience. The realization I had a moment before is, I'll admit, deeply personal to me but I'll settle all of that later.”

“Very well. If you're sure,” the Prime Minister says cautiously then moves to sit across from the Doctor. “And I'll admit, I have been looking forward to this meeting greatly. The last time you rescued our society, you said you would one day return when we need you again, but you didn't specify exactly when that would be. Regardless, my people have been looking forward to our reunion for quite some time and, to some extent, we have been preparing for it.”

“In what way, if I may ask?” the Doctor asks.

The apparatus on the Prime Minister's left eye clicks through a few lenses before he asks, “Before I answer that question, would you care for a spot of tea? It may help you relax.”

The Doctor grins as he says, “If I visited your society before, you might have what my favorite tea is on file.” He sighs pleasantly then shakes his head and wipes a hoof in front of him back and forth several times. “That's okay. If I am to have tea, I prefer the real thing. Not all of this holographic nonsense.”

Finally, the Prime Minister has a chance to grin smugly as he says, “I thought you'd say that, so please . . . have a treat on me.”

The glass doors open and a pony maid enters who is levitating a covered silver platter. This she delivers to a white-lit coffee table in the center of the room as if the table is the center of the bullseye of this circular room. Once the platter is there, the lid is levitated off which reveals a glass pitcher and two saucer cups. She pours some brown-looking hot tea into each of their cups then levitates the cups towards the both of them.

“It is real tea,” the Prime Minister assures. “Not everything in our world is synthetic, and we had plenty of time to prepare for your arrival.”

After he says that, the Prime Minister levitates the cup to his lips and takes a sip. As he does so, the apparatus on his left eye changes lenses at the Doctor again for some reason.

Real tea, huh?” the Doctor says with interest. “Well, in that case, don't mind if I do.”

The Doctor bites into a silver spoon and uses it to stir his tea first. Doing so causes more steam to rise from his cup. Once that is done, he spits the spoon aside and then grips the cup between his hooves carefully. The Prime Minister observes how the Doctor handles the cup not that proficiently even for an earth pony. It's as if the Doctor isn't used to being a pony at all.

Still, he manages to deliver the cup very carefully to his lips and takes a few sips. After he does, he settles back into the couch and seems to greatly relax.

“A taste of home!” the Doctor says with a smile. “Ah! This brings me back. If only we had crumpets, we'd be all set.”

The Prime Minister looks surprised at that request before saying, “If you wish, I can make those arrangements.”

“Perhaps later,” the Doctor says as he very carefully tries to return the teacup back to the saucer on the coffee table. Once again, this takes quadruple the time it normally would for any other average earth pony.

“Tell you what,” the Doctor says as he settles back on the couch after finally returning the tea to the table. “I'll take you up on your offer in a different way. If I make a list, could you deliver some special food items to the TARDIS? I'm afraid we used up a bunch of supplies on the old girl in one of our other recent adventures. As it so happens, it is the planet your moon is orbiting around.”

“You were there recently?” the Prime Minister asks in a bit of alarm.

“Indeed, and that is what I've come to talk to you all about,” the Doctor brings up. “I'm sorry I didn't have a visitor's visa at the time, but even if I did, I would need to be granted special dispensation to be there legally. That's actually one of the issues I came to address with you. The other is to inform you that some of the natives on the planet have been taken.”

In utter shock, the Prime Minister spits out the tea he has in his mouth and floats the cup back to the table in a hurry as he asks, “Excuse me? Did you just say some of the natives of the planet below have been taken?”

The Doctor nods as he says, “More specifically, they have been taken by a race known as the Klaxians. They are space pirates and dirty merchants who traffic both legal and illegal goods, or even legal goods acquired illegally. I know their ships are also armed with cloaking devices which may serve to explain how they were able to penetrate your defenses undetected. I can't explain how they penetrated the planet's force barrier but they seem to have their ways. Perhaps if I offer more knowledge about their tech, maybe you can use it to devise a counter strategy and prevent more thefts.”

“We'll do more than just that!” the Prime Minister says in anger. “I want a complete inventory of everything and everyone they took. Armed with that knowledge, we'll seek them out and make sure they return that which they have stolen.” The right eye of the Prime Minister widens back to a more grateful expression as the apparatus on his left eye clicks through a few more lenses again. “That said, we would also appreciate any knowledge you have on their technology. If we can understand their tech and adapt ours to detect theirs, we can at least prevent future thefts.”

“It would be my pleasure because that is one of the biggest reasons for this particular visit,” the Doctor informs. “Nothing would make me happier than to ensure that you are armed with the knowledge you need to prevent more thefts. That, in turn, will further secure the natives down below.” The Doctor tilts his head as he says, “However, when it comes to tracking down the rest of the Klaxians, are you sure you don't want my help? I can do it for you, or perhaps we can work on this together.”

The Prime Minister cuts a hoof across the air as he says, “That's quite alright. We've inconvenienced you enough.”

“Inconvenience? On the contrary, it would be my pleasure,” the Doctor corrects.

“Please don't. These people are our responsibility,” the Prime Minister counters. “And frankly, I find this whole affair embarrassing. We are the ones who should have prevented this mess in the first place, and we are the ones who should clean it up. Besides, I've got many resources at my disposal so that should be enough to take care of this issue once you've given us a full report of everything you know of these despicable Klaxians. We also want to make sure that we deliver the justice that they deserve for this theft. By doing so, it sends a message to all other would-be thieves. Even if they temporarily get away with a crime, we'll know eventually and meet out justice swiftly and assuredly. We want every other society to know we can hoofle this issue on our own without relying upon the Doctor all the time. You saved us once. Please allow us the honor of showing you how much we've learned.”

“Well, if you're sure,” the Doctor relents in a tone of reluctance. “I should give you contact information anyway just in case you change your mind or if I encounter any more relevant info.”

“Now that would be appreciated as well,” the Prime Minister says with a nod of acceptance and appreciation.

The Doctor settles into the couch a little further as he lays both of his forelegs on top of the couch and then he asks, “Well, that settles the main issue I wanted to present you with. What did you want from me?”

Prime Minister Kratus casts a long sigh before he says, “After you told us about the theft of some of those we're meant to guard on the planet below, I feel almost too embarrassed to make any other request of you.” He looks at the Doctor and then says, “A big part of the reason our people decided to undertake this responsibility was actually to prove to you that we could do it. We knew you would return one day and that was one of our ways to prepare for your arrival. The goal was to prove that we are ready to take the next grand step for our society, and the method to accomplish that is something only you can lead us to do.”

The Doctor looks intrigued as he asks, “Pray tell, what do you mean by that? What can I show you that you haven't already accomplished?”

The Prime Minister settles back onto his side of the couch now as he says, “It's taken us a long time to learn how to use the tech of the Time Lords. We never could understand all of it so far, and those that we did succeed to reverse engineer, well . . . you see the results all around you.” He gives a grand, sweeping wave of both hooves all around them. “When we adapted what tech we did understand, we did it our way. That was a long process and longer still to fully utilize and master. As we gradually stepped into a larger role in this universe, we decided we wanted to become what the Time Lords used to be during their most noble days. They once heralded themselves as guardians of the universe and over time in particular. They were sort of like time and space police, if you prefer.”

“I'm well aware of the role the Time Lords attempted to take,” the Doctor assures with a bit of an offended tone.

“Forgive me. I did not mean to sound like you wouldn't know,” the Prime Minister says apologetically.

“What is your point?” the Doctor presses.

“Well,” the Prime Minister gazes forward and pauses in silence for six seconds before looking back at the Doctor and says, “among some of the tech we couldn't crack yet, but we still have in our possession nonetheless, is other TARDISes.”

The Doctor instantly widens his eyes in intense shock as he exclaims questioningly, “Are you serious?!”

Prime Minister Kratus nods as he says, “We have quite a number of them. For the moment, I'll keep the exact number we have classified, but if you agree to help teach us how to pilot them, or even how to open the darn things in the first place, then I'll appoint you the Fleet Commander of the whole fleet.”

The Doctor slowly looks down as he digests this latest bit of shocking news.

“I hope it is not lost to you the sheer magnitude of what I am requesting,” Prime Minister Kratus presses. “I think now you know what I mean when I said I want you to guide us into the next evolutionary step of our society. We'll take over the prior duties of the previous Time Lords, only we will do it better under your tutelage.”

Still feeling numb, the Doctor lifts his shocked gaze back to the Prime Minister.

“What I need to know is if you accept this unspeakably important task I am offering you,” the Prime Minister goes on.

“Wow!” The Doctor rubs both sides of his head. “That's a lot to take in.”

“You're the last of the Time Lords,” the Prime Minister reminds. “At least, that which we're aware of. Who knows? There might be more of your people hiding somewhere in time and space, but for the moment, you're the only one we can turn to. Furthermore, you might be the best one we can turn to anyway. The other members of your species tried to conquer us ruthlessly. While they were trying to use us against an even more vile race, the fact remains they didn't give us a choice. You did, and we have never forgotten that.

“Quite frankly, we've looked up to your heroic example ever since. We tried to demonstrate that by guarding this planet, and it humiliates and infuriates me to no end that we managed to botch up the one job we had that we were hoping to use to prove to you that we are worthy of the task I am offering.

“But, then again, perhaps I can turn this around in my favor and say that this failure on our part proves all the more that we need your guidance. Please, good Sir, guide us with all of your mighty and wonderful experience.”

“I'll need time to think about it,” the Doctor responds.

The Prime Minister nods in acceptance as he says, “Understood. Take all the time you-”

The Doctor interrupts by suddenly declaring, “Actually, no. I take that back. I don't need time to think about it because I have already reached a decision.”

“Oh?” the Prime Minister asks with interest and a small shade of worry. “I pray, do tell.”

The Doctor focuses his gaze back on Prime Minister Kratus as he says, “I'll do it . . . but I have several conditions.”

“Oh?” the Prime Minister repeats as he lifts the one eyebrow that is not covered.

“I'll give you a full list of details of my conditions at a later time, but the most important one I need you to agree with right now is I get to train the future captains and pilots of the crafts,” the Doctor proposes.

“I see.” The Prime Minister strokes his small goatee. “Very interesting.”

“You wanted the benefit of my wisdom and experience anyway,” the Doctor reminds. “So this is my way of granting that request. To start with, for any candidate that I think might one day be worthy to pilot such legendary crafts, I'll first need to test and train them by inviting them to be companions of mine on my TARDIS. Using that, I'll introduce them to many things that are out there in time and space. While doing so, I'll teach them what they need to know to handle situations like that.”

“So it is on-the-job sort of training,” the Prime Minister realizes.

“In my humble opinion, Sir, that is the best kind of training,” the Doctor insists. “I'm sure you'd put them through theoretical lessons and plenty of holographic simulations, but none of that can prepare them for the real thing better than the real thing. I'll still be there to hold their hand . . . or hoof, as it were . . . in order to keep them from being overwhelmed too much.

“However, you need to know, Sir, that even if I take them to the safest planets I can think of, the unexpected can happen at any time. To properly prepare them for this journey, they need to experience that firsthand.

“I'll be there with them through the first few legs of the journey. If they continue to be worthy after surviving many trials and tribulations, then those who 'graduate' from my class will be offered their own keys to their TARDIS. From there, the new captains will recruit and train others as their companions. Those who prove worthy of their crew might graduate and get their own keys. And so on.”

“Interesting proposal,” the Prime Minister muses. “Okay. I am on board with this. How many of my ponies do you need to get started?”

“It is true that I have one in mind already who is from this world,” the Doctor says back, “but I have to warn you that I could find worthy talent anywhere and anywhen.”

“Whoa! Wait a minute!” Prime Minister Kratus gives a pushing motion toward the Doctor. “I didn't say we'd open our doors and give these keys to other aliens. That defeats the point of this project. I'm trying to show that we are worthy candidates to replace the role of the Time Lords themselves. To do that, we, the Magi, have to be the ones to accomplish this role ourselves.

“Besides, if we hoof this role to some other race, they may not prove as trustworthy with such a dangerous and important power.”

The Doctor shakes his head as he says, “It is true that that is the way the Time Lords handled issues like this, and that is also why they ultimately fell.”

“Huh?” Prime Minister Kratus asks with a confused blink of his right eye and a few clicks through more lenses on his left eye.

“Their arrogance was their downfall,” the Doctor elaborates. “Do you want to follow that example too? Or do you want to copy the tactics of the One Time Lord who actually survived the whole Time War?”

Prime Minister Kratus's expression shifts from confusion to thoughtful, then he nods at the Doctor invitingly as he says, “Please continue.”

The Doctor shakes his head as he says, “In the whole of their society, they thought along the same lines as you right now. They thought of themselves above everyone else. The only ones who are truly worthy of being the ultimate guardians of time and space. They dismissed all others as primitive and stupid savages. Because of that, they kept others at a distance as if that would help to reinforce their own ego and superiority complex.

“But I, meanwhile, took a much closer look at those we were supposed to guard. I got down on my hands and knees and crawled through all the muck that others were going through. Because I did that, I understood them better, including their values that most of the other Time Lords overlooked.

“I repeat, most of them overlooked this, but not all. Fortunately for me, my own teacher was much wiser and more humble. He taught me what it takes to be a true guardian and hero to the universe. For that to happen, you simply can't hold yourself as high, mighty, above and separate from everyone else. Instead, you got to be there as one of them. You have to lift them up and teach them to be better while simultaneously opening yourself to learning new lessons from other 'mortals'.

“Because I did that, because I was personally there to suffer through all the trials and tribulations of my many varied journeys, I was far more capable and adaptable in the Time War. The other Time Lords still looked down upon me for the way I lived my life as well, yet they couldn't deny my usefulness when all the chips were down either.

“When they got desperate and were finally scared for their own lives, many of them threw away their own morals and principles by saying things like, 'We must survive by any means necessary. No evil is too great. No tactic is too extreme. As long as we come out on top in the end, then the end will always justify any means necessary.'

“Well, I'm telling you now, a true hero doesn't think like that. A true hero is always ready and willing to make the ultimate sacrifice themselves if that is what it takes to protect others, and for the life of me, I WILL NOT assist anyone who upholds the values of my own people without really understanding the value of that which they guard.

“Even now, you hold yourselves as liken unto gods orbiting the planet down below. Some of them worship you, and you've taken no steps to correct this. On the contrary, you've only encouraged this perspective by sending 'angels' in the form of the other pegasi to declare your divine decree. As such, you follow the example of my people all too well, and that will lead you to your doom in the end.

“But if you follow me and my example, the One Time Lord who survived when all is said and done, then I would lead you down to the planet itself. I would introduce you as a fellow mortal being who cares for their welfare and are willing to suffer with them if that is what it takes to help them.

“You don't get stronger by putting stamps on paperwork from an executive desk from a distance, you get stronger by actually being there with the people who go through these trials. I dare you to face other enemies of mine, like the Daleks, and threaten them with stamped paperwork and say, 'I have legal authority over this land. Be gone, you cretins, for you are trespassing on our lands.'

“If that tactic actually works, then this universe is far more different than I thought earlier. In this case, I would approve, but one usually stands a better chance of survival by actually going through many dangerous situations and learning how to survive in them in the first place.”

The Doctor waves a hoof outwardly as he goes on to lecture, “Out there, in all the vast periods and space, there are many races that have gifts and talents you can easily overlook if you're never there to personally observe them, but I have. There are so many diamonds in the rough out there, and every single race is usually good at something. Some special talents and some unique ways to survive any danger they encounter. It may be different from us, but that is a good thing. It means that, collectively, we are varied and adaptable, especially when we learn to work well together. By learning from them and figuring out how to utilize their talents to the utmost, you maximize your odds of success during any encounter you could make.

“So the bottom line is, don't be the crushed and defeated fools that most of my people were. Instead, follow me . . . and I'll show you a much better way.”

During most of the Doctor's speech, the Prime Minister has a thoughtful look on his face. Sometimes he was nodding too. Now that the Doctor seems to have reached his conclusion, he says, “I tell you what. Go out there in time and space and train any recruit you think is worthy. If they pass all of your tests and thus graduate as next-level candidates, bring them back to us for a final evaluation. If they pass our tests as well, then we'll give them one of our keys to the many TARDISes we hold. Does that sound fair?"

Any recruit? Even other races?" the Doctor double-checks.

“Yes indeed, good Sir,” the Prime Minister confirms. “You are the last of the Time Lords. There must be a good reason for that. Likewise, there must be a good reason your people failed and perished in the end. We certainly don't want to follow that example too closely. As I said before, I want you to lead us to the next evolutionary step in our society. If that is what it takes, then I'd be a fool to just dismiss you out of hoof. I'm at least willing to give these other races a chance and you have significantly more experience finding worthy talent out there compared to us. That's precisely one of the qualities we wish to even out. Teach us how to find talent like that too by bringing such worthy candidates back to us. The more you do so, the more we'll realize the pattern that keeps on resulting in a winning combination. We're here to learn from the past mistakes of our predecessors. Together, I believe we can forge a much brighter and more stable future.

“So what do you say?”

The Doctor stands up and offers a hoof as he says, “I say yes. As a very experienced adventurer, I'm willing to give any promising future a chance.”

The Prime Minister stands up and meets the Doctor's hoof with a bump of his own as he says, “Then we have an accord.”

PreviousChapters Next