• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 1,260 Views, 68 Comments

The Quiet Kid: Day by Day - aegishailstorm



The tale of a one man army's acclimation to day to day life in Equestria.

  • ...
63
 68
 1,260

PreviousChapters Next
Confronting the Celestial Tyrant

It was a morning just like any other in Canterlot, the sun was out, the sky was a deep blue, cloudless dome, and the streets where filled with ponies just going about there day. Among the passerby's and civilians walked 5 armored bat ponies, and a single human, touting a rifle on a sling and clad head to toe in combat fatigues, and a pistol lying dominant in a holster located on his left thigh, he dragged his feet as he walked, gaze fixed straight ahead, not speaking a word. Not many would know it, but they where on their way to a very important meeting. Silently, they approached the front gate of Canterlot castle. The entrance was bared by a wood gate and metal portcullis. And flanked on either side by unicorn guards in gold armor.

As they crossed the moat, lieutenant Nightshine stepped forward, and whispered something to the 2 guards. They nodded, and a second later, the gate came rattling up. They walked inside, headed straight for the royal throne room. "Listen, I know she may be your commanding officer, and your leader. But I'm innocent, and I couldn't care less about either of those things." The Lieutenant looked up at William as though he was crazy, "You better watch your tongue around the princesses William." He smirked, "Where I'm from, our government is governed by the people. Not mythical creatures capable of raising and lowering the sun and moon at will.

"What do you mean by, "Governed by the people?" His grin remained, "I don't want to get into it, right now. Let's just state my case." They all grunted in agreement.

However they may have presented themselves on the outside, he knew the truth. As was the case with all other ponies, they were biologically programed to care for those in distress. Bat ponies even more so, from what he had heard, their history was long, dark, and bloody, they had learned to care for one another. And truth be told, William was a tad bit honored that they thought him worthy of it as well. At last, they reached the throne room, motioning for the guards to leave, he swung it open. And looked into the vast, cavernous space that was the equestrian royal throne room. As he expected, on the far side sat Celestia and Luna, as innocent looking as ever, he knew better.

"Well I'll be damned! Last time I was here this place was in shambles!" He exclaimed with a hint of sarcasm, the 2 celestial alicorns giggled at this, and finally, Celestia answered him, " So, to whom do we owe the pleasure of this visit?" He facepalmed out of both disbelief and frustration. " My ego, and my conscience. By the way, your assassination attempt failed."

He pointed down at the 5 armor clad bat ponies standing at his side.

"My princess, please accept my deepest apologies-" Luna held up her hoof, implying for Lt. Nightshine to stop talking.

" There is nothing to apologize for lieutenant. You did well." She saluted the princess and trotted back to her squad mates.

Celestia turned to William, " In truth William, I asked Luna to send our most hardened soldiers after you because we believed you had become a threat to Equestria that Twilight and her friends could not handle. So I suggested that we capture you by... Unconventional means. Clearly, it did not work out as we planed. "He let out a booming laugh, and smiled earnestly.

"Heck no it didn't! I disarmed them, talked them out of killing me, and befriended them. All without Twilight's teachings, what do you say to that?" Nightshine raised her hoof, and began speaking, "Princess, before you go off assuming anything-" Luna stopped her, and Celestia joined in.

"Well then William, you are free to go, simply by proving that you could turn an enemy into a friend. You demonstrated that you where not a threat to equestria, or it's inhabitants. " He nodded, and tapped the stock of his rifle. "Well, that wasn't the response I was expecting, but thank you. Oh, and one more thing, Celestia. I know you want to know the secrets behind my weapons. And don't think I don't see you back there, Shining armor. Let me guess, the princesses put you there as a counter measure in case things went sideways? It's ok, you can come on out, besides, aren't you married now?"

A tall unicorn stallion dressed in purple and gold armor stepped out from behind a marble pillar. "Yes, yes I am." He paused for a moment, and scratched his chin, "Your voice sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it." He shrugged, "Eh, mystery for 'nother time. See you later, royal sisters." He waved, spun 180 degrees, and began walking out of the room, this time. Lt. Nightshine and her team didn't follow.

"Oh, one more thing, I've arranged for a royal carriage to bring you home. It's waiting in the royal garden."

He growled in annoyance, waved goodbye. Then walked out the door alone. Down the maze of corridors, and out the front entrance. Sure enough, there was a carriage waiting there, pulled by 2 pegasi. He laughed, and slapped his knee. "She expected me to take this home, oh hell no. This is downright slavery." He walked up to the carriage, and snapped his fingers, the pegasi's ears turned to the sound of his voice before their heads did. "Where to?" They asked.

William's face wore an expression consisting of a mixture of determination and annoyance. he waved to them, "Umm, hello there. Listen, here's some free advice, get another job, this ain't worth it."

He walked away, right out of the castle walls, planning to take the train instead. Briskly, he jogged his way to the train station, purchased a ticket with the bits he had on him, and headed off towards Ponyville.

As the vehicle sped down the tracks, he couldn't help but think to himself, " Why did Celestia let me off that easy?"


He knew the answer of course, she was for almost anything friendship related. Something he personally found quite overrated, with exception of a few but still, his encounter with the bat ponies had given him the chance to check yet another thing off his bucket list. Plus, he had made a few new allies, in an unlikely place at that.

Several hours later the train ground to a stop at Ponyville station, all way quiet. Being that it was late evening, and the sun had begun to go down. William was angry now, he hadn't eaten since this morning. And the ponies on the train had been haggling him nonstop for his backstory. "He looks weird, surly he must have some pretty wacky and wild stories in that head of his." They must have thought. William didn't talk, the whole trip back he sat there, arms folded and leg's propped up, in utter silence. Daydreaming. He looked out he window to see that he had arrived, and, with a quick wave to the conductor. He walked off, and stepped out onto the wooden deck of the train station. A single alicorn stood on the far side.

"So, how did it go?" Joey asked, he had just been informed of William's predicament that morning, and was curious as to what the princess had said. William grunted. "I'm hungry, lets get something to eat, I'll tell you about it then, also, anything odd happen while I was gone? I swear, I always miss the best fights." His friend laughed. "As you said, it can wait 'till we have food in front of us.

PreviousChapters Next