• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 1,259 Views, 68 Comments

The Quiet Kid: Day by Day - aegishailstorm



The tale of a one man army's acclimation to day to day life in Equestria.

  • ...
63
 68
 1,259

PreviousChapters Next
My kind of Chaos

"Holy hell, this thing is amazing." William thought to himself as he finished the rest of his brand new MG 68's ammunition's pouch, and looked down range to admire his work, where there had once been thriving trees, was now a mess of craggled and broken wood, sticking up from the ground, the weapons 6.8 MM rounds had more then done their job. He unhooked the ammunition pouch, opened up the feed tray, and began the process of reloading. So far, everything about his "Birthday present" Had been working out perfectly, from it's appearance, to it's accuracy, to it's handling. But by far his favorite part of it, was the computer assisted sights, the weapon practically aimed it's self. Add to that it's new type of 'hybrid' ammunition. Which weighed only 20 percent more than the 5.56 NATO rounds on the M249, while being almost twice as powerful. He stopped for a moment, and listened to the the eerie silence of the forest around him.

"Perfect, just perfect, nothin' but me, my gun, and the wind blowing through the tree's on a cold and fogy Everfree morning." He said out loud as he seated the ammunition in the gun, slamming the feed tray on top of it, and racking the bolt back in forth in one, fluid and practiced motion. He admired his work one last time, before sighing, and starting off back towards Ponyville. Most creatures would never dare enter the Everfree forest, for any reason, William, was quite the opposite. Whereas most ponies would find the unpredictable weather, monsters, and thick, untrimmed brush terrifying. He loved it, more than that, he had always felt innate sense of understanding within the forest. One that always reminded him of the massive redwood forest's back home. As he passed through a portion of the forest, he noticed something... odd, yet not entirely out of place. A set of vaguely canine prints, crossing over his own. He knew exactly what this meant, and hefted his squad automatic weapon to his shoulder, waving it around at the dark treeline.

"Hey, I know you're in there, no use hiding!" He could hear growling coming from behind him, slowly, but surely getting closer. Without a second thought, he spun around and blind fired a 10 round burst of tracer round's into the fog, he heard whimpering, and a moment later, and badly wounded timber wolf stumbled out of the bushes, with holes in it's chest and head, falling dead at William's feet.

"Wrong playground, partner." He joking whispered to it as he continued on his way. The odd timber wolf encounter was just the kind of thing you had to worry about on a daily basis when the Everfree was your favorite vacation spot in Equestria. At last, he broke through the treeline, groaning in annoyance as he felt the Equestrian sun beating down on his face.

"Damn pegasi," He cursed, "Why couldn't you just sleep in for once?" The tall grass under his feet turned to dirt pathway, and eventually, to cobble. He looked around Ponyville, to find that something was off, namely, the excessive amount of heart shaped decorations.

"What, does valentine's day come late for Equestria, or is this just another ploy by Twilight to make the 'magic of friendship' more prominent?" He asked a group of ponies as they passed him by, only one responded.

"Uh, valentines day? It's hearts and hooves day." William nodded, and waved them along.

"What the #### is wrong with this place?" He murmured as he walked back to his home street, gagging at the sight of all the...less than pleasant decorations. As he did, he cought sight of Joey, heading the opposite way of him.

"For once, he hasn't snuck up on me." He thought to himself.

"Hey, Joey, explain!" He shouted, waving a hand at the rows of decorated buildings, with his SAW still slung around his chest.

'"Uh, oh, hi William, according to the town, it's 'hearts and hooves' day, ring any bells? "William shook his head.

"I asked some folks that on my way back into town, they gave me the same answer. It's like they expect me to know everything about their 'culture' I guess you could call it, from the start. "He was a bit uneasy on that last part, but, a culture was a still a culture, no matter how odd it may be.

"Twilight?" Joey asked. William shrugged in response.

"You go try and figure this out, I'm going home." Joey nodded, at this point, he knew better than to second guess William, especially on matters as...sensitive as this.

Some time later...

William sat on his roof, watching the sky out of boredom. He was more or less fed up with the Everfree for the day, and had nothing else to do. When at last, Joey returned.

"Hey, uh, William, I figured it out."

"Lemme guess, Valentine's day?" His friend nodded. William let out a casual sigh, and pushed himself to his feet, balancing himself on the ceramic roofing.

"I swear, if I so much as see you within 10 feet of a mare, I will cut off your wings and hang you above a fire ant nest in the Everfree, that understood?"

"Wait, why would I- Oh, don't worry."

"Now why's Big Mac in such a hurry?" William asked, quickly changing the subject.

"I duno, romance problems?" He shrugged.

"In the immortal words of Ron Swanson: The less I know about other's personal 'affairs', the happier I am."

"Couldn't have said it better myself." Said a voice from above them, one that sounded oddly familiar, and yet, William couldn't quite place it.

"Q?" William asked. He could hear laughing.

"No you idiot, it me, Discord!" In a flash of light, a new being appeared before the 2 of them, a freakish amalgamation of various Equestrian creatures.

"Er, what are you?" They both asked.

"Oh bother, this again? I'm a draconequus, the lord of chaos, to be specific."

"Why are you here?" Joey questioned.

"Uh, Joey, quick sidebar." William pulled his friend away from the conversation.

"He's the lord of chaos!?"

"Uh, yes, I mean, he just said he was-" William stopped him.

"You are aware of the fact that I'm a big Warhammer 40k fan, right?" Joey rolled his eyes.

"Really? What's your favorite astartes chapter?"

"Salamanders, war crimes, war crimes everywhere!" Joey nodded, of course the Salamander's were his favorite space marine chapter, they were famous for their indiscriminate use of explosive and incendiary weapons, fitting Williams quota of overwhelming firepower almost perfectly.

"Dude, Warhammer 40k is fictional, this, is real, I'm sure he doesn't mean any harm." He said, gazing back at the abomination hovering just off the roof.

"I can hear you from over here!" It said. "My favorite chapter's the Ultramarines."

"I don't care- Wait, did you say Ultra marines?"

"Yes, I'm big into your worlds 'pop-culture', nopony else seems to get it though."

"Hey, Discord, get back here, Big Mac's getting away!" William heard Spike's voice call out from below.

"We shall talk later, go with the small purple dragon."

"Well, that went better than expected." He said to Joey as he clamored off the room, onto the windowsill below, with Joey hovering at his side.

"I was half expecting you to turn a bolter on him!" William laughed.

"That's enough 40k jokes for now, wouldn't want GW suing us now."

"What are they gonna do about it!? We're in another dimension."

PreviousChapters Next