• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 19,162 Views, 2,156 Comments

Unexpected Confessions - Dianwei32



Rarity and Rainbow Dash both confess their love for Fluttershy at the same time. Shenanigans ensue.

  • ...
107
 2,156
 19,162

Fallen

Unexpected Confessions

Chapter Twenty Three

Fallen

“Here you are, Opal.” Fluttershy placed a bowl of food down in front of the cat, who gave her the briefest of appreciative glances before tearing into it. “Oh, my, I guess you were hungry.” Fluttershy picked up the empty can of cat food from the counter, unfazed by the noxious smell after years of dealing with it, and carried it over the the trash can.

Fluttershy!

Dash’s shout startled her and she dropped the can, letting it clang to the floor as she ran back through the showroom and up the stairs. “Dashie? What’s wro—” Her question died in her throat when she reached Rarity’s bedroom and saw the unicorn laying across Rainbow’s back. Dash herself was throwing a window open, her wings already going through a few light flaps in preparation for take off.

“Something’s wrong with Rarity. She won’t wake up.” Dash took a few steps back from the window, giving herself room for a running start. “I’m taking her to the hospital, you go get everyone else and meet us there.” Without waiting for a response, she galloped the short distance to the window and leapt out, her wings flaring as soon as they cleared the shutters. A few powerful flaps later, she disappeared into the night, racing for the hospital.

Fluttershy stood frozen in place for a moment, unwilling to accept what she had just seen. Her eyes drifted down, landing on the empty bottle Rainbow had found. “Oh no...” She ran for the window and followed Dash’s lead, leaping out and taking to the air. Flapping her wings as hard as she could, she angled for Sweet Apple Acres, one thought playing over and over in her head.

This is all my fault.

*

Dash gritted her teeth against the burning in her wings and pressed onward, flying as fast as she could without Rarity sliding off of her back. All she could do as she flew to the hospital was question herself. How did she miss the signs? Rarity had been sad, sure... but this?

"Tell her... I will always love her and that I am sorry we couldn't work it out. I-I had hoped... But no, it was foolish. I think that may be the thing I love most about you, Rainbow. Loyal to a fault. Go, be happy. I won't stand in your way. You have my blessing, and my love, both of you."

Dash banked hard into a turn, grunting as the wind yanked on her wings and pulled on the tendons in them. She sounded so weird! She was giving up… just not the way she said she was.

"I am... hurting, Rainbow Dash. I appreciate the concern, but... There is nothing you can do. It will take some time before that pain fades."

Dash could see the hospital up ahead. She was falling, just like in the dream, and I watched her fall. She pumped her wings one final time before flaring them, trying bleed off speed before she crashed through the doors. All I had to do was reach out. I should have caught her.

Something picked at the back of her mind. Come on, there’s no way I could have known she’d do something like… this. Dash risked a peek over her shoulder as she raced toward the hospital. But I should have. She felt sick at the idea that she’d let something so horrible happen to one of her friends.

“Gah!” She let out a pained yelp as something in her wing popped, sending a searing lance of pain through the appendage. A second later, her hooves hit the ground and she raced toward the hospital doors at a full gallop. Whatever. I’m going to fix this, no matter what. Leading with her shoulder, she barrelled through the doors, skidding to a halt on the tiled interior. “I need help!”

The nurse behind the check-in desk stared at her blankly for a moment, shocked by her sudden entrance, but then jumped up and ran around the desk. “What did you—” She froze when she saw Rarity’s head hanging limply off of Dash’s back. “Redheart!” She yelled down a hallway, prompting the nurse in question to step to out from a room. “I need a gurney over here!”

A few moments later, Nurse Redheart came galloping down the hall, the handle of a gurney clenched firmly in her teeth. The cart slid to a halt next to Dash, and she carefully transferred Rarity over to it. Rainbow looked down on the unconscious unicorn and felt the need to say something, even though she knew Rarity couldn’t hear her. She wanted to apologize, to say that she should have been there for her. The words caught in her throat and she hesitated, and before she could say anything, the cart sped away again, rambling down the hallway from which it came. She watched it go, cursing her own cowardice until a voice broke into her self-recrimination.

“Ma’am?” Dash turned to see a nurse standing next to her, a pink-coated earth pony with a two-tone purple and white mane and a quill clenched between her teeth. The nurse resumed her line of questioning after gaining the pagasus’ attention. “What can you tell us about the accident?”

“I... I don’t know.” Dash shook her head, trying in vain to quiet the fear that was building in her. “My friend and I just... stopped by to see her and she was—” She swallowed to clear the lump building in her throat. “—like that. I tried waking her up, but nothing worked.” She took a hesitant step in the direction Rarity had disappeared.

“And has she been—”

Dash didn’t hear the rest of the nurse’s question as she broke into a gallop after Rarity. She glanced in each room she passed, growing more and more frantic with each one that didn’t house her friend. Just when she was considering turning around, she saw Rarity’s distinct mane in one of the rooms she passed. Her hooves clattered and skidded on the floor, unable to find purchase to slow her down. When she finally came to a halt, she wheeled around and ran into the room, colliding with Nurse Redheart on her way out.

“What’s wrong with her? Is she gonna be okay?” Rainbow craned her neck to see over Redheart.

“We don’t know yet.” The nurse pressed a hoof against Dash’s chest, slowly extricating the cyan mare from her personal space. “Doctor Stable has ordered a full complement of tests, but we won’t know what’s wrong until we get the results back. Hopefully, the information you gave Nurse Sweetheart will help us figure out what caused this.”

“The what I gave who?” Rainbow finally stopped trying to catch a glimpse of Rarity and focused on Redheart. After a moment, she realized that the nurse was talking about the other nurse from when she had barreled into the lobby. “Yeah... I don’t think I answered all of her questions.”

Redheart stared at her flatly. “How many did you answer?”

“One?” Dash chuckled nervously.

The nurse let out a sigh and shook her head almost imperceptibly. “Alright. Well, do you have any idea how this happened, or how long she’s been out?” She walked back to Rarity’s bedside while she spoke.

“No.” Dash slumped down, a twinge of pain running through one of her wings. “I was... out of town for most of today. I saw her yesterday, and she seemed—” Rarity’s words from the other day ran through her head again, and Rainbow silently cursed herself. “—fine. I mean, she might have been a little... down, but this? No, I just didn’t—” She froze as the bottle from Rarity’s room flashed through her mind. “Wait, there was a... a bottle in her room, like for medicine.”

Nurse Redheart perked up. “What kind of medicine? Do you remember the name?”

“It was... some kind of sleeping pill.” Try as she might, Dash couldn’t remember the name that had been on the bottle. She felt helpless. Even worse, she felt useless. Rarity had needed her help before this, and she’d failed. She’d watched as Rarity slowly fell apart and the cracks in her mask grew, but she’d shrugged it off. Now, Rarity needed her again, and she was going to fail... again. Hot, angry tears stung at her eyes, and she wiped at them equally angrily. Come on, Dash. There has to be something... anything. “There were N’s.” She blurted out, not even thinking. “Two N’s in the name.”

Redheart thought for a second, her eyes darting around. “Nighty-night Sleeping Pills? How many did she take?”

Dash shrugged. “I don’t know. The bottle was— Oof!” She took a step to the side as the nurse shouldered past her, sticking her head back out into the hallway.

“Sweetheart! I need a stomach pump in here, STAT!”

“A... stomach pump?” Rainbow slowly made her way over to Rarity’s bed, looking down at her friend for a second before turning back to the nurse. “Why?”

“Nighty-night sleeping pills contain a powerful ingredient that can permanently damage the liver in high doses.” Redheart trotted back over to the bed, pulling the pillows out from under the unicorn’s head. “We need to get as much of it out of her as we can.” She tilted Rarity’s head back, glancing toward the door as Nurse Sweetheart wheeled the machine through the doorway. “You may want to step out for this. It’s a... rather unpleasant procedure.” Her eyes landed on Dash’s side. “Besides, you should probably get that looked at.”

“Get what—” Dash followed the nurses gaze and saw her right wing sticking out from her side awkwardly. Flexing it a bit, she grimaced as she became aware of the pain each movement sent through the joint. Gritting her teeth against the pain, she sat down. “I’ll get it looked at once she wakes up.” Sweetheart opened her mouth to say something, but Rainbow shot her a glance that silenced her.

“Um, Rarity?” All three ponies whipped their heads around to the door, where Fluttershy stood with Pinkie Pie and Applejack behind her, while Twilight was seated somewhat precariously on Pinkie’s back. She wilted for a brief moment under the sudden attention, but slowly inched her way further into the room. “I-is she okay? Wh-what’s wrong with her?”

“Ah came as soon as—”

“Ohmygosh, I hope Rarity—”

“This doesn’t make sense, why would—”

“Alright, that’s it!” Nurse Redheart stepped away from the bed and began shooing all of them from the room. “Everypony out! Medical staff only until the gastric lavage is complete.”

“Gastric lavage?” Twilight turned her neck up to get a better look while the five mares slowly shuffled out of the room. “Why not use activated charcoal? It’s just as effective, and has fewer contraindications than—” The rest of her suggestion was cut off the the door slamming shut. They all sat in silence for a few seconds, looking helplessly at the door.

“Oh my gosh, Dashie!” Pinkie broke the silence, squirming her way over to Rainbow’s side and causing Twilight to wobble on her back. “What happened to your wing?” She asked, lifting a hoof to poke at the offending appendage.

“Ow!” Dash shied away from the party pony’s touch. Her face contorted in pain as she flexed her wing a bit, letting it rest with her primaries sticking out at an awkward angle. “I don’t know... I was flying Rarity here and something ‘popped’ right before I landed.” She let out an annoyed huff and turned back to the door, jiggling the handle only to find it locked.

“Rainbow.” Twilight leaned down from her perch to get a better look at Dash’s wing causing Pinkie’s ever present smile to widen just a bit. “You need to get this looked at. Something could be seriously wrong. It could impact your ability to fly for months.”

“I’ll be fine.” Dash started pacing in front of the door. “I’ll get it looked at once Rarity wakes up.”

“Now listen here, sugarcube.” Applejack stepped in front of Rainbow and put a hoof to her chest to stop her pacing. “Do ya think Rare’s gonna be happy if she wakes up and finds out that you risked yer future to pace outside the door?”

“Well, no...” Dash looked between the closed door and her wing. “But—”

“But nothin’, sugarcube.” Applejack cut across her friend’s response. “You go get that thing looked at, and if’n Rares does wake up, we’ll come get ya right away.”

“I... alright.” Dash finally conceded. After one last glance back at the door, she looked up and down the hallway. “So, where do I go?”

“The, um, front desk is this way.” Fluttershy was standing apart from the rest of the group, motioning down the hallway with her head. “I can, um, go with you. I-if you want me to, that is.”

“That’d be great, ‘Shy. Thanks.” Rainbow joined her marefriend and the two made their way back to the front desk, where Doctor Stable was talking to another nurse. “Hey, doc? Can you—” She grimaced as she extended her wing a little bit. “—take a look at this?”

“What seems to be the problem?” The doctor levitated a pair of glasses down from above his horn and rested them on his nose.

“I dunno.” Dash shrugged. “I was flying, tried to slow down too fast, and something ‘popped.’ Now it hurts when I move it.”

“Well, then, don’t move it.” Doctor Stable chuckled for a second. “Sorry, old doctor joke. Now, let’s take a look see.” He stepped up to Dash’s side and looked closely at her wing, occasionally prodding a certain area or gently moving it a bit. After a few moments, he straightened up. “A simple dislocation. I can pop it back into place easily enough, but no flying on it for the next twelve hours, and only light flying for the next few days, Miss Dash.”

“What? No flying?” Rainbow panicked for a moment before she remembered Rarity’s condition. “Right, no flying.”

Stable grasped Dash’s wing in his magic, aligning the wing bone with the joint. “Now, this is going to hurt a bit. Are you ready?” He waited for Rainbow’s nod. “Alright, on three. One, two, three.” In one quick motion, he forced the wing back into the socket with a pop.

Dash tensed up, letting out a slow breath through her nostrils. “Ow.” She groaned, gently flexing and rotating her wing. After taking a deep breath, she turned back to the doctor. “Thanks, doc.”

“You’re welcome, Miss—” The rest of Doctor Stable’s words were lost as Dash turned and bolted down the hallway back to Rarity’s room.

Fluttershy, watched Rainbow race down the hallway for a bit, then turned back to the doctor. “Um, s-sorry about that. Th-thank you for fixing her wing.” With that, she turned and followed Dash’s lead. By the time they reached the room, the door was open again, and Rainbow ran inside. Her spirits fell when she careened through the doorway only to find the rest of her friends sitting around the bed, with Rarity still asleep.

“What gives?” Dash trotted over to the bed, squeezing between Twilight and Applejack. “I thought the gasto-thingy was supposed to wake her up.”

“They got what was still in her stomach out, but the some of the pills had already dissolved and gotten into her bloodstream.” Twilight scooted over to give Dash a little more room. “We have to wait for what’s in her system to run its course before she’ll wake up.”

“Well, how long will that be?” Rainbow asked, her eyes never leaving Rarity.

“There’s no way to know.” Twilight shook her head. “It could be any minute now... or it could be twelve hours from now, possibly even longer. There’s nothing we can do now but wait.” She glanced at a row of chairs along the wall, then up at her injured horn, frowning. Applejack quickly pulled the chairs around the bed, waving away Twilight’s mumbled apology. The group settled in around the sleeping unicorn’s bed, doing the only thing they could.

They waited.

They tried to make small talk, discussing things like the weather, the health of Fluttershy’s animals, or the current harvest at Sweet Apple Acres, but every conversation quickly petered out, allowing silence to reign. As the minutes stretched on into hours, Twilight, Pinkie, and Applejack left to get some sleep before their respective workdays, each asking for notice if Rarity woke up. While getting ready to leave, Twilight seemed less than enthusiastic about riding on Pinkie’s back again, opting instead to rest her casted foreleg across Pinkie’s withers. As the first light of dawn brightened the horizon, only Fluttershy and Dash were left to watch over the sleeping unicorn. Just after the clock tower rang out six chimes, Dash stood up from her chair, stretching her stiff limbs.

“I’m gonna hit the little fillies’ room. Be right back.” Sparing a glance back to the bed, she made her way to the door, her steps heavy from a lack of sleep. Once she was gone, Fluttershy got up and stepped closer to the bed, tears welling in her eyes.

“I-I’m sorry, Rarity. Th-this is all m-my fault.” She reached up and laid a hoof on Rarity’s foreleg. “I-if I could have j-just been honest with you and Dashie... you wouldn’t...” She choked back a sob. Before she could speak again, she heard hoofsteps coming down the hallway so she scrambled back into her seat, rubbing the tears from her eyes.

“Cleaning crew was in there, I’ll try a—” Dash froze in the doorway for a split second before running over to Fluttershy’s side. “‘Shy? What’s wrong?” Her gaze flickered over to Rarity, who was still sound asleep, then back to her marefriend. “What happened? ‘Shy, talk to me.”

“I-it’s nothing...” Fluttershy wiped a hoof across her nose. “I-I’m just w-worried about Rarity.” She cursed herself for lying again, for being too weak to be honest.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine.” Dash hopped back up into her seat, wrapping a wing around the other mare’s back. “Twi said it could take awhile for her to wake up, but we’ll be right here for her when she does.” Rainbow’s words pushed Fluttershy over the edge, and the last of her composure crumbled as she devolved into a mass of quivering tears and sobs. Dash could only look on in shock for an instant before she tightened her hug and tried to soothe her marefriend. After a minute of crying, the distraught mare was able to speak.

“I-it’s a-all... my f-fault.” Fluttershy managed to stutter between sobs. She tried in vain to wipe away the tears flowing from her eyes, but a constant stream of them replenished any she could get rid of. Eventually she just gave up and let them flow.

“What? No, it’s not.” Dash used a hoof to raise Fluttershy’s head, forcing the other mare to look her in the eye. “Fluttershy, this was not your fault, you hear me? If anything, it was mine. You didn’t do anything wrong, understand?”

“Yes I did!” Fluttershy shouted, wrenching her head away from Dash’s grasp. “You and Rarity… you were both so intent on fighting over me… and I still couldn’t choose between you. I couldn’t hurt either of you like that, so I… I…” Her shoulders slumped in defeat, and the truth came pouring out with her tears. “I lied to you, to both of you.”

Dash blinked in confusion as the pieces aligned in her head. “You mean… so you never dumped… Oh…” She was silent for a time, processing what she just heard. “But then… why did she let me think…”

“Sh-she figured out what I did… and lied about it.” Fluttershy sniffed loudly, tears still streaming down her face. “She did it so that you wouldn’t have to know what a horrible pony I am. I let her lie for me… a-and n-now she…”

Rainbow hopped down from her chair, her eyes darting around while she thought. After a few moments, her eyes locked on Rarity’s prone form. She slammed a hoof on the bed, causing Fluttershy to jump.

“I-I’m sorry.” Fluttershy squeaked out before jumping down from her own chair and running from the room.

“Wait, ‘Shy, I wasn’t—” Dash let out a frustrated sigh and turned back to Rarity. “I’m sorry about this, Rares. I saw how much it hurt you when I turned you down… but I didn’t know what you were trying to do.” She slumped and shook her head. “No… I did know, but I was… scared. After seeing what happened with my parents… what happened to Moonshine… I was too scared to try, to risk that happening to us.” A small smile flashed across her face for a second and she laid a hoof over Rarity’s. “But I’m not scared anymore, and I… I wanna give it a shot.” Tears welled in her eyes and she squeezed the sleeping mare’s hoof. “You gotta wake up though, Rares. We can’t do this without you.” With a parting smile, Rainbow trotted out of the room to find her marefriend. A quick conversation with Nurse Redheart had her climbing the staircase and heading for the roof.

Fluttershy briefly glanced over her shoulder when she heard the door to the roof close, but quickly went back to staring at her hooves afterward. A few final sniffles escaped her as Dash sat down next to her. She waited for Rainbow to start yelling at and berating her, but the other mare simply watched as Celestia’s sun crested the horizon. As the silence stretched on between them, Fluttershy mustered the courage to speak. “I’m so sorry, Dashie.”

Dash smiled at her, leaning in for a quick nuzzle. “You don’t have anything to be sorry for, Flutters.” When Fluttershy opened her mouth to protest, Dash held up a hoof. “Okay, yeah, you lied to us, and that…” She looked off to the side for a moment. “That hurts, ‘Shy.” She turned back to her marefriend with a sheepish smile. “But we didn’t exactly make it easy on you, did we? We were both so focused on winning you over and getting an answer that we didn’t think about how much it sucked for you. You were in a no-win situation, and we kept pestering you to choose one of us. I’m sorry about that.”

“Oh, um, i-it’s okay, really.” Fluttershy scuffed her hoof on the ground, kicking a stray pebble.

“No, it’s not, but it’s nice of you to say that.” Dash leaned in for another quick nuzzle, punctuating it with a kiss on the cheek. “Don’t worry, as soon as Rares wakes up, we’ll make this work. All three of us.”

Fluttershy finally looked up, shock clear on her face. “R-really? After all of this, you still want to try?”

“Of course.” Dash scooted closer to Fluttershy and wrapped a wing around her back, leaning against her and watching the sun rise.

*

After watching the sunrise, Dash and Fluttershy returned to Rarity’s room, and spent hours just talking. They traversed topics from the weather scheduled for the next few days, to how Fluttershy’s animals were doing—Rainbow was disappointed to hear that the squirrels and mice had indeed eaten all of the soup—to the game the previous night, or what they had actually seen of it. When mundane topics ran dry, they turned to juicier ones.

Out of morbid curiosity, Dash asked something that had been itching at the back of her mind since the rooftop. “Say, ‘Shy… how was your date with Rarity?”

Fluttershy shrank into her chair a little bit, her eyes darting over to the unicorn’s sleeping form. “It, um, it was very… nice.”

“Come on, ‘Shy.” Dash nudged her marefriend with an elbow. “You can do better than that. Where’d you guys go? What’d you do?”

“Um, I don’t know, Dashie…” Fluttershy tapped her forehooves together nervously. “I-I don’t really think that’s, um, a good idea…” She glanced up at Rainbow from behind her mane. “I don’t want you two competing again.”

“Hey.” Dash leaned over and wrapped a wing around the other mare, nuzzling against her cheek. “I said I wanted to give this a shot, right? I just wanna know how things went with Rares.”

"Well, all right, if you really want to know..." Fluttershy inhaled deeply, and words began spilling out from her like a waterfall. "She took me to an upscale restaurant, very cozy. The waiters were all really nice, but the food got messed up because the cook had a new assistant. It tasted awful, so Rarity asked them to take it back. They had a wine steward behind me that kept refilling my glass every time I took a sip, and I lost track of how much I drank. From there it gets really fuzzy, but I remember falling in the tub, then coming downstairs when I heard a loud noise. I found Rarity on the floor, she'd hurt herself by slipping and crashing into a wall. From there… I think we had some tea and she had us sleep together.” Blood rushed to her cheeks as Rainbow’s eyes shot open. “No not that way, Dashie. We just slept." She stopped, gasping for air. "I-it was all very… nice."

Dash nodded for a moment before something her marefriend had said clicked. "Wait... She hit her head? Did you take her to the hospital for that?"

Fluttershy chewed on her lip for a moment before shrugging. "She said she was okay?” She wilted under Rainbow’s stare. “She was passed out for a while when I found her, but she woke up when I shook her..."

Dash threw her hooves up in the air. "You don't just let a bird fly away if it tells you it's wing is fine do you?" Before Fluttershy could even open her mouth to respond, she kept going. "No, you don't. You check to make sure for yourself before you let it go!" Dash hopped down from her chair and walked over to the bed, laying a hoof on Rarity’s. "What if that’s what caused her to go all weird on us?!"

"Well, um, I-I don’t think so…” Fluttershy gingerly climbed down from her own seat and crept over to the bed. “She just had a bad bump on the head and a headache. She seemed fine, at least I think so…” Rainbow looked at her askance and raised an eyebrow. “Dashie I… was really very… I think I set my tail on fire.” She glanced back at her tail, which was a little shorter than normal. “I don't remember much. I-I'm sorry."

Dash let out a sigh that trailed off into a light chuckle. "It’s alright, ‘Shy... but we gotta tell the doctors about that. They need to take a look at her head and make sure it’s okay... and I wanna know what you meant when you said you and Rarity 'slept together.'" She turned back to her marefriend, a playful grin on her face.

"Eep." Fluttershy hid behind her cascade of curls guiltily. "We just... slept, Dashie, I promise.” Her voice dropped to a barely audible level while she tried to drill a hole in the floor with her eyes. “I-I, um, w-wanted to, um… do things, j-just like when I was, um, all… oh, excited at your house… but, um, sh-she said her head hurt, so we just slept. Th-that’s all, just sleeping." She finally pulled her eyes from the floor and looked up a tiny bit, her cheeks a deep crimson.

“I’m just messin’ with ya, ‘Shy.” Dash nudged her marefriend with a shoulder before darting in and planting a kiss on her forehead. They climbed back up into their chairs just as Nurse Redheart came into the room. Throughout the day, Redheart and Sweetheart stopped in to check on Rarity. They drew blood samples twice, but didn’t say much about her condition, leaving Dash and Fluttershy to wonder when, or even if, Rarity would wake up. As afternoon wore on into evening, Twilight returned to the hospital, this time with a roller skate attached to the end of her casted foreleg.

“Wh-what’s with the skate, Twi?” Dash asked, after her giggles had died down.

“Well, it’s fo— whoa!” Twilight nearly lost her balance as the skate slipped out from under her, but after a few seconds of flailing, she regained it and tried to nonchalantly continue on to the bed. “It’s to help me get around.” She turned back to Fluttershy and Rainbow, the latter of whom was clutching at her sides and nearly falling out of her chair laughing. Twilight cleared her throat, a blush staining her cheeks. “I’m… still getting used to it. Anyway, has the doctor been by to see Rarity today?”

“Um, no, not yet.” Fluttershy stepped down from her chair and over to the bed side, brushing an errant strand of mane out Rarity’s face. “The nurses have been by a few times, but we haven’t seen Doc—” The rest of her sentence was lost as the door to the room opened abruptly, sending the skittish pegasus scurrying for cover. Doctor Stable stood on the other side of the threshold, his eyes running over a chart floating in front of him as he stepped through the doorway.

“Hmm…” Stable hummed to himself as he approached Rarity’s bed, he flipped through the chart for a few moments before dropping it on the foot of the bed, finally turning his attention to the conscious occupants of the room. “Well, I’m sorry, girls, but I don’t know what to tell you. The drugs have all cleared her system. There’s no medical reason for her to still be asleep. It’s almost like she doesn’t want to wake up.”

Fluttershy stood back up from her position near the floor and glanced back and forth between Rarity and the doctor. “Um, well, she hit her head the other day… and she, um, passed out for a little while. C-could that be the reason?”

Stable raised an eyebrow and walked around to the side of the bed. “When was this? How long was she unconscious?” He leaned in and examined Rarity’s forehead.

“Um, about… four days ago?” Fluttershy tried to think back to when she found Rarity lying on the floor, but the events were fuzzy. “She wasn’t out for very long… maybe a couple of minutes?”

“Hmm…” The doctor gently lifted Rarity’s head and felt along the back of it to the base of her neck. After he was done, he took a step back, shaking his head. “No, I don’t think it’s related. Like I said, medically speaking she’s fine. Though, I wonder…” Stable closed his eyes and his horn lit up, with the accompanying glow surrounding Rarity’s head. After a few moments, the spell ended, and the doctor rubbed a hoof against his chin. “Curious. Her brainwaves are normal REM sleep waves… but she’s been in REM sleep for far too long.”

“Too long?” Dash hopped down from her chair and stood next to Fluttershy. “Whaddya mean ‘too long,’ Doc?”

“Well, in a normal sleep pattern, you move in and out of REM sleep throughout the night, but Miss...” He glanced down at the chart for a moment. “—Rarity has been in REM sleep almost the entire time she’s been here.”

“And that’s… bad?” Dash heard Fluttershy whimper next to her and threw a wing over her back.

“It’s not bad necessarily, just—”

“Ponies aren’t supposed to get more than an hour or so of REM sleep every night.” Twilight finished for him, earning her a stern scowl. Upon realizing what she had done, she chuckled nervously. “Sorry.”

Dash shook her head and let out a frustrated huff. “Well, does this RAM sleep—”

“REM sleep.” Twilight corrected her.

“Whatever.” Dash rolled her eyes. “Does it mean we can do something to wake her up?”

The doctor shook his head. “I’m afraid all we can do is what we’ve been doing… wait and see. I’m sorry.” He turned and left the room, leaving the three mares to sit and stew in an uncomfortable silence.

After a few minutes, Applejack walked through the open doorway, letting out an exasperated sigh. She gave her friends an apologetic glance. “Ah’m mighty sorry y’all’re ‘bout to haveta see… well, this.” She waved a hoof vaguely at the the door. Right on cue, Pinkie jumped through the doorway, dressed up in a colorful and poofy suit and gesturing dramatically.

“But soft, what light through yonder… um, window...” Pinkie faltered, tapping a hoof to her temple before striking a new dramatic pose. “Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to… uh… double, double, toil and troub—”

Pinkie Pie!” Twilight could only stare at Pinkie in utter confusion, just like the rest of her friends. “What in the wide, wide world of Equestria are you doing?”

“Neigh, my fair maiden.” Pinkie pulled a hoof to her chest. “I knoweth not of this… Pie of Pink of which thou speakest. Verily, I am Prince Charming, and I hath come now to wake fair Rarity with true love’s kiss.” While her friends looked on, stupefied, Pinkie hopped up onto Rarity’s bed and kissed the sleeping mare on the lips, holding it for several seconds before pulling away with a big smile. As the seconds ticked by and Rarity didn’t stir, her smile fell. “Aww… I really thought that would work.”

“What the hay, Pinks?” Dash reared up and grabbed Pinkie’s tail, pulling her off of the bed. “What’s the big idea?”

“This is how it works in all of the books Rarity reads.” Pinkie stared at the floor, occasionally glancing at Rarity. “The princess gets put to sleep by some spell, then Prince Charming comes along and wakes her up with a kiss. I just thought…”

“Pinkie…” Fluttershy adopted a tone of voice that she usually reserved for her more troublesome animal friends. “I know that you’re just trying to help, but this is a very serious matter. We need to let the doctors and nurses handle it.”

“But… I just thought…” Pinkie’s shoulders slumped, and her mane deflated a tiny bit. “I just don’t want to lose another one of my friends.” She mumbled.

“What’re ya talkin’ ‘bout, sugarcube?” Applejack laid a comforting hoof on Pinkie’s shoulder, leaning down to hear better as Pinkie continued to mutter unintelligible words. Meanwhile, Rainbow stepped back toward the bed.

“I don’t get it. The doctor said the medicine’s gone…” Dash laid a hoof on the bed, her ears folding back against her head. “So why won’t she wake up?”

“Because she does not wish to.”

The group turned toward the doorway, where Princess Luna was standing. Twilight turned and smiled.

“Oh, hello, Princess.” She started to turn back, only to whirl back an instant later, her eyes wide. “Princess Luna!” The rest of the group turned to face the alicorn, their reactions ranging from Twilight’s surprise to a slight bow from Applejack, Fluttershy cowering behind Rainbow, and Pinkie waving enthusiastically with a huge grin plastered on her face. The grin was short lived, however, fading away just as quickly as it appeared.

“She doesn’t want to wake up?” Pinkie looked at Rarity, fear and confusion mixed in her expression. “Why not?”

“Because somepony very precious to her awaits her there.” Luna strode across the room and around the far side of the bed. “What started as a simple comfort in her time of need has grown and twisted, digging treacherous barbs into her mind until she now feels that she cannot live without it.” A glimmer of an old and hidden pain flashed across her eyes for an instant.

“Well, can’t you get her out?” Dash stepped forward, rearing up and planting her forehooves on the bed. “Dreams are your thing, aren’t they? Just pop in and tell her to wake up.”

“I am afraid that it is not that simple.” Luna shook her head, her eyes resting on the sleeping unicorn. “While it is true that dreams are… ‘my thing,’ as you put it—” Her corners of her mouth twitched up into a slight smile. “—I have not been able to visit, or even view, Rarity’s dreams for several days now.”

“But, um, wh-why not?” Fluttershy asked, slowly rising from her position near the floor. “Oh, um, if you don’t mind me asking, that is.”

“Of course not, dear Fluttershy.” Luna smiled warmly at the timid mare. “The reason is simple. I cannot view her dreams because she does not want me to.” Her gaze shifted from Fluttershy back to Rarity. “Her dreams have been closed to me ever since a particularly… powerful lucid dream that she had recently.” Unnoticed by anyone, Twilight glanced about and swallowed nervously, her ears plastered to her skull. “As she gained skill in manipulating her dreams, so did her subconscious. Eventually, her subconscious noticed my presence and… kicked me out, as it were.”

“Can’t you force your way in?” Dash’s wings fluttered in agitation. “I mean, you move the moon, after all.”

“I could.” Luna nodded solemnly, leveling a stern gaze at Rainbow. “But to do so would risk great damage to her mind. If she truly does not wish for me to enter her dream, then to force myself in could shatter her psyche. If she ever did wake up again, she would be but a mindless husk.”

Dash stepped down off of the bed, momentarily cowering before the princess. Clearing her throat, she straightened back up, focusing on Rarity. “S-so, is there anything we can do?”

“There is.” Luna paused, taking a breath. “If you wish to rouse her, then you must give her a reason to wake—” She leveled her gaze at the five mares on the other side of the bed. “—and only one of you can do that.”

“But… why can’t—” Twilight clamped her good hoof over her mouth when Luna turned to her with a raised eyebrow. After taking a moment to steel herself, she tried again. “Wh-why only one of us? Wouldn’t it be better for all of us to go? To talk to her together?”

“Perhaps.” Luna nodded, but her eyes fixed on Twilight’s casted leg. “However, you are injured, Twilight Sparkle. It would be unwise to subject yourself to the rigors of Dreamwalking. As for the rest of your friends—” The princess forged ahead as Twilight opened her mouth for a rebuttal. “—While it would be ideal, the combined strain of so many invading her mind would be no better than me forcing myself in.” She sighed heavily. “I know that you all wish to help her, but only one of you would truly be welcome in her dreams.”

Fluttershy gulped nervously, but stepped forward. “O-okay, I-I’ll…” She stopped, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. “I’ll do it.”

“An admirable notion, dear Fluttershy.” Luna smiled warmly again. “But I am afraid that you are not the one. You would appear only as a ghost to her, a figment of her imagination. In the dream, she will only listen to one pony.” Her gaze drifted over to Rainbow. “Her wife.”

“Her wife?” Dash shifted uncomfortably under Luna’s gaze. “She’s, uh, married in the dream?” She swallowed, steeling herself for the next question, one which she feared she already knew the answer to. “Um… to who?”

“Yes, Rainbow.” Luna’s smile transformed into a playful smirk. “She’s married… to you.”

Dash’s jaw fell open, and her friends all turned to face her. “Me?” She swallowed again. “Sh-she… married… me?” At Luna’s nod, she fell to her haunches, blinking in confusion for several seconds. When she could finally speak again, she could only utter one word.

“Why?”

“Well…” Luna’s horn flashed, and a cushion appeared behind her, which she promptly sat upon. After a moment to get comfortable, she turned back to Rainbow and her friends. “That, I’m afraid, is a rather long story.” She waved a hoof at the row of chairs behind the standing mares and waited for them to take their seats. Once they were all settled in, Luna launched into recounting Rarity’s recent dreams, starting with the initial one after the unicorn had hit her head.

When she mentioned that Fluttershy had died in the dream, the mare in question clamped her hooves over her mouth, letting out a shocked squeak. After some gentle prodding from Dash, she told everyone how she vaguely remembered Rarity acting strangely when she had woken up, like she had seen a ghost.

Rainbow had been largely silent as the events were relayed to her, but suddenly exclaimed in surprise. "That's what she meant!” Everyone in the room turned to stare at her. “She asked me the weirdest question ever just before I left to go talk to ‘Shy! Something about…” She pressed a hoof to her head, squeezing her eyes shut in concentration. “If it weren't for ‘Shy... did me and her ever have a chance? It was just this out of the blue, super weird thing—"

"It's called a non-sequitur, Dash." Twilight rolled her eyes. “It means—”

"Yeah! A nonsequential thingy!” Rainbow nodded excitedly, cutting Twilight off before she could slip into full-on Lecture Mode. “It was like 'Why would she even ask that?'"

“Ahem.” Luna used the lull in conversation to clear her throat and regain everyone’s attention. “I am sorry to interrupt, but there is more to tell and time is of the essence. I must warn you, however—” She fixed Rainbow with a serious gaze. “—what happens next is not pleasant.” Dash swallowed nervously, but nodded. With that, Luna resumed her tale, recounting the portion of the dream where Rainbow had beaten Rarity, causing the five mares to cringe, though Dash in particular looked like she was going to be sick. By the time Luna reached the proposal, Fluttershy, Pinkie and Twilight were wiping half-formed tears from their eyes.

Dash, however, had a big, dopey grin plastered on her face. "Wow, swept her right up and flew her around the Corner.” She nodded at nothing in particular. “I gotta give it to dream me, that was pretty radical."

"Um… Dashie?” Fluttershy tapped her marfriend on the shoulder nervously, wiping her other hoof across her nose and sniffing a final time. “You, um, do know none of that really happened, right?" She quickly backtracked, fearing an angry reaction from Rainbow. “I-I mean, it sounds really, um, sweet and, um… nice, but… it was all in Rarity’s dream.”

“Well, yeah…” Dash's grin dropped slightly, but quickly reasserted itself. "But it's about how I woulda done it, ‘Shy.” Her gaze drifted to Rarity. “I guess it's kinda nice to know that Rares just... gets me like that." Her grin faded away and she furrowed her brow. “Though, how could she have known about the pinion thing?” A light blush crept into her cheeks, and she ruffled her wings a bit.

“Prolly read it in one of them frou-frou, lovey-dovey romance novels she says she don’t read.” Applejack shook her head, smirking, then turned to Princess Luna. “This seems like one heck of a dream to be havin’ in a few minutes. There any more?”

Luna nodded and finished her story, telling the assembled friends about the wedding and Blueblood’s interruption. When she was done, Dash had a very self-satisfied grin on her face.

“Ah yeah!” Rainbow puffed her chest out a little. “Put that scumbag right in his place.”

“Careful, RD.” Applejack punched Dash in the shoulder playfully. “Yer head gets any bigger and it might not fit through the door.”

“Hey, I can’t help it if I’m awesome in somepony else’s dreams.” Dash rubbed a hoof against her pelt and examined it, drawing a series of eye rolls from her friends. She turned to Luna expectantly. "Okay, I'm down. How do we save her?" Her grin faltered a little bit as a thought came to her, one that she wasn’t entirely sure she wanted the answer to. “Say, princess, if we got married, does that mean that we had a honeymoon? Where we—”

“If you wish to rescue her—” Luna interrupted, a little more loudly than necessary. “—then you must travel into the Dream Realm. Once there, you will need to convince her to wake up.” She walked slowly around the bed.

“Alright then, let’s do this!” Dash stepped forward, flapping her wings once and stopping in front of the princess at the foot of the bed.

“Be warned, Rainbow Dash.” Luna spread her wings, her horn glowing. “While you will be in Rarity’s dream, you will not be dreaming with her. Dreamwalking is fraught with peril, and I do not send you there alone lightly.”

“What’s the difference?” Dash shrugged, unfazed by the princess’ warning.

“By physically entering the Dream Realm, you are subject to its reality. For instance, if you were to crash there, or otherwise injure yourself…”

Dash looked back at her wing in agitation, realizing what Luna meant. “Great, so if I fly too hard in there, my wing could pop out of the joint again.” She stomped a hoof, letting out a frustrated cry. “Augh! I was looking to doing some fast flying in there, at least.” She sat down, crossing her forehooves and sulking for a moment. “Stupid Dreamwalking…”

Luna looked down at Rainbow, fighting to suppress an amused smile. “Do you still wish to do this, Rainbow Dash?”

Dash stood back up, her face set in determination. “Definitely. I can’t just leave her hangin’. ‘Sides…” She looked back to the bed. “Rares and I’ve got some stuff to talk about.”

“Very well.” Luna nodded, the light from her horn increasing. “Prepare thyself, the journey can—”

“Um, wait please.” Fluttershy stepped forward, momentarily freezing under Luna’s gaze. Making her way over to Rainbow’s side, she leaned in and snuggled up to her. “Be careful, Dashie, and bring Rarity back to us.”

Dash wrapped a wing around Fluttershy, hugging her close. “Don’t worry, Flutters. I’ll be fine, and we’ll be back before you know it.” She darted in for a quick kiss on the cheek before letting the other mare go. “Alright, let’s—”

“Hey, RD?” Applejack moved forward. She took a deep breath and smiled. “You go in there and do yer thing, Dash.” She winked. “She’s waitin’ for ya.”

“Thanks, AJ.” Dash trotted over and pulled Applejack into a quick hug, then moved back in front of Luna. “Like I said, we’ll be back before you even know I’m gone.” She turned back to the princess. “Alright, let’s do this.”

Luna glanced expectantly toward Twilight and Pinkie, who shook their heads. Satisfied, she looked down at Rainbow again, her horn once again brightening. “Prepare thyself, the journey to the Dream Realm can be quite… jarring.” Before Dash could respond, Luna cast the spell, sending her into the Dream Realm with a blinding flash of light. When it faded, the spot Rainbow had been standing was empty, leaving everyone present to sit and wait.

*

Dash squeezed her eyes shut against the blinding flash, throwing up a foreleg to shield them. She blinked rapidly to clear her vision, but took a few extra seconds to realize that the room she was standing in actually was white. Looking around briefly, she noticed that the room and all the furnishings were made of cloud, save for a few Wonderbolt posters along the walls.

“Wait… is this supposed to be my house? It doesn’t look anything like—”

The rest of her complaint was lost when she turned and saw someone strikingly familiar standing on the other side of a doorway. She dipped into a combat stance, only to be mirrored by the other Dash. She waited several long seconds before cocking her head to the side, the action again matched by her counterpart. Moving slowly, she crept toward the doorway, each minute action matched by the other Dash. Once she was only a step away from her mirror image, she stood up, a bemused smile on her face. “Leave it to Rarity to dream up mirrors in my house.”

In a flash of motion, the other Dash lashed out and hit her upside the head with enough force to send her sprawling across the floor. Darkness crept into the edges of Rainbow’s vision, but she saw a pair of cyan legs step in front of her. Mustering the last of her fading strength, she looked up to see her own eyes staring back at her in anger just before everything went black.