• Published 3rd Nov 2021
  • 3,351 Views, 287 Comments

Family Begins With You - Jmaster49



The Sirens devote themselves to protecting Canterlot City and each other as they come to understand human holidays and traditions.

  • ...
8
 287
 3,351

PreviousChapters Next
Arc XXII Episode IV: Emotional Comfort

To spare him the painful retelling of Pear Butter and Bright Mac’s story, Applejack took a quick jump to the most important part of their relationship: When they got married.

“...and here’s their weddin’,” Applejack pointed to the photos of a fair-skinned man wearing a leather vest, jeans, boots, and a hat that was eerily similar to the one Applejack wore, and fair-skinned woman with a messy head of orange hair wearing similar attire--albeit with a slimmer vest and daisy dukes as the Mayor stood behind, and married them. “...After all his research in Japone was complete, pa came back home and ma refused’ta listen’ta Grandpear.They got married and…had three lil’ rascals ya might be aware of.”

Subsequent photos showed a young Big MacIntosh born first, then him getting older and following in the footsteps of their father as a farmer as Applejack was born, with Pear Butter appearing more weary with each photo despite her smile. Lastly, once Applebloom was born, she appeared to be more confident than before as she watched the teenage Big Mac and adolescent Applejack grow older.

“Goddamn,” Keiji muttered in amazement, “Your mother was a freakin’ goddess. She managed to power through having kids and still never lost her looks or her smile.”

“Ya got that right, sugarcube,” Applejack said as she wiped a tear from her eye, “Ma was always an inspiration, powerin’ through everythin’ that got in her way. Even while pa was off farmin’ in the late hours, she’d always be in here cookin’ up somethin’ nice and makin’ sure we did our homework. And even then, she never lost a shred of her charm--routinely goin’ out and spendin’ time with Mrs. Cake and the Mayor…she did it all, Keiji.”

Keiji nearly bit his tongue. Now, part of him didn’t even want to know what happened as he felt like the truth would twist a proverbial knife in his side. However, he knew he had to see it through to the end, so he asked…

“That sounds amazing…but when…how did they die?”

“...They passed on not long after Applebloom’s 7th birthday,” Applejack huffed as she lied down on her bed. “Hit us all like a truck full’a bricks. Never did find out what happened to ‘em…”

“...No cause of death, or anything?” Keiji asked.

Applejack simply responded with a quiet shake of her head, and continued moments later. “But we buried ‘em not too far from here…”

“...Where exactly?”

Applejack then got out of bed, and walked to one of her bedroom windows that overlooked the backyard which included the corn fields where Applebloom had been working. Beyond that, there was a cabbage patch, a chicken coop, pig sty, and a few cows grazing. And way off in the distance, surrounded by other trees…

…was an apple and pear tree that had intertwined and grew around each other.

“Over yonder,” Applejack pointed out the tree, “That was where they declared their love for each other and got married. We felt it was only fittin’ta lay ‘em to rest there.”

“...Ouch…uh--I--man…” Keiji stumbled over his words as he scratched his head while trying to figure out what to say. “You…you were a lucky one. All three of you.”

“...What makes ya say that, Keiji?” she asked while leaning against the windowsill.

The vampboy folded his arms as he formed a more concrete thought to reply with. “Well…your folks were beautiful people--people who fought tooth and nail just to stay together against the wishes of both families at first…only to be taken away from you.” He opened his eyes and walked up next to her, leaning against the windowsill as he looked down at the ground outside with a regretful, pained look of anguish in his eyes. “Meanwhile…my folks were terrible ponies--er, people. Terrible people who fought tooth and nail…because of me.”

“...Keiji…” Applejack’s expression fell as the boy started to break down in front of her.

“...Me and my entire existence…they were spiteful towards each other because of some stupid throne laws, never once considering how I felt…” Tears started to fall from his face and onto the ground outside as he clenched his teeth. “As if I didn’t matter, Applejack…what I wouldn’t give to have parents like yours…”

“...” Applejack was speechless. The vampboy who had been rough around the edges was so emotionally moved by the tale of her parents that it caused him to fully let his guard down, rending himself emotionally vulnerable for the first time since he arrived here.

“...And…and I just want someone to look up to…someone who I can rely on once in a while,” Keiji sobbed, his voice breaking as he spoke in between a sniffle or two. “And your parents…they sounded so perfect, so loving…just seems so unfair! They didn’t deserve to be taken away from you all like that!”

Applejack silently put an arm around him, holding him close for a hug as she gently patted him on the head with her left hand. “Shhh…no matter what happens, sugarcube--I’m here for ya.”

Keiji had been pressed against her abdomen, and his sniffles slowly came to a stop as he looked up at her caring, almost motherly smile. “...You are?”

“A’course I am--and Sunset, the Sirens--we all are,” she went on, “We’re yer family now, Keiji. It doesn’t hafta start with blood. Family begins with you, lil’ buddy.”

“...I suppose it does,” he replied with his arms now around her body, holding onto her for comfort. “But it still sucks that your parents were removed from you guys’ lives so early…”

Applejack gave a content sigh as she placed a hand beneath his chin to tilt his head upwards. “...Keiji. I don’t see it that way. They weren’t taken from us. It was simply their time. I don’t know what made ‘em pass on, but…I’ve made peace with it. We all have. Ma and pa wouldn’t want us’ta live in sadness all the time.”

“You have a point…” Keiji muttered, “Doesn’t it eat you up that you don’t know why they’re gone though?”

Once again, Applejack shook her head and gave an honest answer. “No. Because I know that my life is my own. And I’mma live it to the fullest fer the sake of who’s still here with me. That goes fer Big Mac, Applebloom, my best buds at school…and you, ya lil’ fruit bat,” she said with a teasing smile as she ruffled his hair again.

The bat comment made Keiji chuckle a bit. “...You’re lucky that was funny. But I think I see why you’re so…capable and mature. You don’t let the past dictate how you feel in the present. I wish I had that strength…”

“Ya don’t need strength, lil’ feller,” Applejack denied as she continued to comfort him with a hug, “Ya just need people who care about ya, ya hear? Strength alone ain’t nothin’ compared’ta comin’ home’ta a lovin’ family after a hard day’s work.”

“...You’re absolutely right,” Keiji replied with a nod, “I’ve been going about it all wrong…I need to watch out for those around me and live in the present. Not the past.”

Applejack flashed a wide grin, “Now that’s a strong lil’ man. Yer growin’ up nicely…don’t let anyone tell ya otherwise.”

“Got it, Jacks…and thanks,” he held onto her more tightly, “I think I’m starting to understand myself a bit better thanks to you.”

She scoffed and laughed it off. “...Shucks--I’m just a silly ol’ apple girl tryin’a get her degree in environmental science and develop better soil’ta solve hunger. Don’t go around spinnin’ tales about how I’m a miracle worker or nothin’ alright?”

“Fair enough,” Keiji replied with a fanged smile as his stomach rumbled, “...Got any extra food? I’m kinda hungry after all that farm work.”

“I think I can whip up somethin’ fer ya and Applebloom as soon as she’s done with--”

Just then, the bedroom door was opened up by the youngest Apple sibling in question who stopped in her tracks as soon as she saw the two hugging each other. “Heya, Applejack I…oh. Am I interruptin’ somethin’?”

PreviousChapters Next