• Published 3rd Nov 2021
  • 3,351 Views, 287 Comments

Family Begins With You - Jmaster49



The Sirens devote themselves to protecting Canterlot City and each other as they come to understand human holidays and traditions.

  • ...
8
 287
 3,351

PreviousChapters Next
Arc XX Episode I: Friendly Chat

The next few days were…difficult for everyone. The news of a magical threat that caused everyone to be rushed to the hospital spread rather quickly and caused mass concern among everyone’s parents. The combined efforts of everyone involved made it evident that the school--and the city as a whole--were in capable hands when it came to keeping everyone safe. That was the silver lining. However, Aidon wasn’t going to let it stop there, as he publicly announced that he would take up the sole responsibility of helping everyone understand their magical abilities via classes that he would teach--magic training classes to be exact.

Thankfully, there was no opposition to such a proposal. Given Aidon’s role as a key member in stopping the threat, everyone was more than willing to accept that he’d be willing to teach their children how to defend themselves.

However, once he made the announcement and came home…that’s when the realization of responsibility hit him.

“Goddammit…” Aidon muttered to himself as he tossed away his suit and flopped onto the couch in his living room. “What in Hades’ name did I just agree to? Will I really be able to handle all of this myself?”

Twas true--he was more experienced as a math teacher than as a magic teacher. But this change would need to be made for the sake of everyone’s safety. If another threat tried to attack the city or worse--merge the dimensions of Equestria and the Human World, having everyone able to fight back, rather than just a select few would increase their chances of success in defending themselves.

The problem was that this man was, as he noted, unsure of himself. Could he really accomplish so much on his own? After all, his own abilities were still extremely unstable. Then again…

“...Maybe this would be good for me too,” he mused, “Give me an outlet to make use of my abilities more often so I can keep my sanity up. Hm…”

Before he could think about it for much longer, his train of thought was interrupted by his doorbell ringing.

DING-DONG!

“Hm?” Aidon got up from the couch and answered the door. “Hello?”

And behind the door, wearing her casual skinny jeans and tank top, was Ms. Luna, holding one of her arms in a bashful manner. “...Aidon? Good--er, are you busy?”

“Oh no--what am I wearing-?!” Aidon looked down at himself and realized he was in rather casual clothing as well: A white tank and some khaki shorts. Nothing damning. “...Not at all. Come in.” He stood aside to let her in, and closed the door behind her. “I take it that you’re feeling better after what happened last week?”

“I am, thanks,” Luna replied with a nod, “I was wondering if I could speak to you more…candidly about what happened on that day.”

“...” The man paused and took a deep breath. “...You remembered everything, huh?”

“...We did,” Luna replied, “We all did. I just want to extend my gratitude for what you did to help us through. Celestia and I have been talking, and…we’ve agreed to take some time off for a while.”

At first, Aidon was completely on board with this idea. “Well that makes sense. You both deserve some time to yourselves to think things over and evaluate life--” But then, the elephant in the room mentally ran him over as he scratched his head. “Erm…but who will take over as active principal while you’re both gone?”

“That’s exactly why I came here to speak with you…I want to know if you’re willing to take up the mantle as principal. At least for a few days while my sister and I work things out.”

Aidon’s eyes shot open, and he silently walked past Luna, shuffling towards the kitchen where he could be seen reaching into his fridge and taking out what appeared to be a bottle of alcohol and a shot glass.

With a concerned tilt of her head, Luna walked over and asked, “...Aidon--are you alright?”

He poured himself a shot of what appeared to be a black-colored drink, and immediately downed it in one sip before coughing once, twice into his fist. “Ahem! Sorry about that. I just needed something to help me process what I just heard you say.”

“I-I’m sorry!” Luna squealed while shyly pressing her index fingers together, “I just…you’re easily the most capable one here and my sister and I need time away from school to think about what we both want for ourselves and each other. You’re the only one I could turn to--oh, but don’t worry! We have already hired someone to manage the other classes and act as a substitute for math should you accept…” She interlocked her fingers, pleading with her blue eyes in a broken state. “...Please. It would mean a lot to us.”

“For the sake of their mental health, they do need a break. I won’t make things more difficult by refusing.” Once Aidon had mentally rationalized it, he agreed. “Alright. On one condition though.”

“Hm? What is it, sir?”

“That you and I go shopping again once you return,” he requested, “I think I enjoyed more time with you than I realized on that day. You’re a great friend, you know that?”

Luna blushed while idly twirling the end of her ponytail around her left index finger. “...Thank you. You’ve no idea how much I’ve been looking to make friends outside of work. It’s…not been the easiest thing in the world.”

“No problem at all,” he agreed, “We’ve both got our own demons to work through. It’s better when someone has your back through it. If you ever need someone to simply speak with, I’m here.”

“Agreed--er…” Luna gazed at the bottle in his hand. “What exactly is that?”

“Oh this?” Aidon raised it. “It’s a black licorice lager from Shetland’s Brew. It’s a kind of drink that I used to enjoy back home. Thankfully, they exist here as well. It’s quite bitter but it helps clear the sinuses. Want some?”

“...Poor man. He likely hasn’t had anyone to hear him out either.” Luna thought sympathetically to herself before answering. “Sure. Though…I’m more interested in you. What was it like--in Equestria I mean?”

“...”

PreviousChapters Next