• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 4,673 Views, 27 Comments

The Heart Never Seems To Learn - BronyBraeburn



Discord defeated the Elements of Harmony, and Celestia can only stand by and watch.

  • ...
8
 27
 4,673

Chapter 3

“Coming!” Cadance called out as she trotted across the living room to answer the knock at the front door. “Twilight! So good to see you again, please, come in, come in!”

“I have to ask you something, something important,” Twilight said as she sat on the couch.

“Oh, of course,” the pink alicorn nervously replied, surprised by the mare’s serious attitude, and sat across from her guest. She wasn’t ready to talk about their plans for the future with her sister-in-law and certainly not the possibility of a foal until she was certain she was pregnant. “Would you like something to drink?” But the unicorn would have none of the usual pleasantries; she was a mare on a mission.

“What exactly is your special talent?” The ever-curious student was disappointed in herself for taking so long to ask, but she didn’t feel comfortable asking as a filly, afraid the answer would go beyond science and more into the area of coitus and other adult matters. “I remember once when I was young that we were walking in Canterlot, and we passed a couple who were arguing. You used your magic and suddenly the two were making goo-goo eyes at each other, completely forgetting about their fight. What did you do exactly?”

“My magic bring the love that is already inside someone to the forefront of their minds, blocking out other emotions,” she answered with a sigh of relief. “Though the power I used against Queen Chrysalis isn’t typical of me, a lot of factors played into it. I was desperate to protect Shining from that…thing, and I put every ounce of magic I could muster into my spell. I don’t think I could do a repeat performance; what I did to Lucky and Wild Fire is more typical.”

“But your love for him is strong, right, and vice-versa? Surely that played a role!”

“Yes, but why are you asking me this?” Her eyes got wide as she clapped her hooves together in anticipation. “Do you have a very special somepony? Aww, my little Twilight is growing up!”

“No!” Twilight exclaimed, her face a bright red. “This isn’t about me, this is about Princess Celestia.” She paused a moment, wondering how to bring up such a topic, and suddenly worried that Cadance wouldn’t want anything to do with her potentially harmful plan.

“You better start from the beginning then,” the pink alicorn suggested, growing more serious.

With a deep breath, she told her tale. “Princess Celestia confided that she and Discord were lovers when they were young, but reality got in the way, and things got bad quickly. She maintains that she still has feelings for him, and claims he feels the same way. She deserves love just like any other pony, maybe even more so considering everything she’s done for Equestria, and for me, over the years. I still don’t understand how she could love such a monster, but there must be something I’m missing, and I’m not one to judge her. I just want to help. She had his statue moved to the crystal caves beneath the castle. I was hoping that we could try to somehow free him and give the two a second chance at a fruitful relationship that won't endanger Equestria.”

Cadance blinked twice. This was certainly unexpected. “I think I wish you were talking about your own special somepony instead, though you know Auntie Celly will give him or her the third degree

Twilight blushed even harder. She never really considered the idea of a very special somepony for herself, and Celestia having a problem with the idea of one was a new thought as well. “That will happen when it happens. You can’t tell me you knew Shining Armor would be your very special somepony when you first saw him.” Her ears laid back in annoyance as her sister-in-law suddenly lost the ability to look her in the eye. “You can’t be serious.”

“Blame yourself, you introduced me to him!”

“How? I barely mentioned him, and he never came around when you were foal-sitting me.”

“The day you moved to Ponyville, I was walking with Auntie Celly, and we watched you say goodbye to Shining from a platform above you, and I felt a spark. I must admit I was jealous, I assumed he was your boyfriend. Auntie Celly told me otherwise, and she…‘arranged’ for us to meet.” By suddenly pushing me over the edge and have me tumble head over hooves because I was too surprised to remember I had wings. She’s such a troll. “I was prepared to leave Equestria and go back to my homeland, but I stayed for him, and I’ve never happier, except when I was foal-sitting you, of course.”

Twilight lowered her head, humbled and honored that she, even inadvertently, brought the two together. “Thank you, but don’t you think Princess Celestia deserves that same kind of love that you two share? She knows what a danger he is, but she still speaks fondly of him, cries over him. This is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever come up with, but surely there has to be a chance to reunite them, safely.”

It was a stupid idea, but Cadance wasn’t prepared to squash Twilight’s hope just like that. “How do you expect to break him out the statue? It can’t be broken with force, and I don’t think it can be overwhelmed with magic. I’m not nearly as strong as my aunts, they’re so much older than I am.”

“Discord initially escaped because he latched onto the negativity from the little fillies. If you used your magic to remind him of the love he feels for the princess, maybe it’ll be enough to let him break out of the statue. The properties of crystal block magic from seeping through, meaning he can’t teleport out. We can block the entrance, effectively turning it into his prison.”

“What if he hurts you, or worse? You put him back into stone again, what if he’s holding a grudge? I couldn’t bear it if you got hurt under my watch, and Shining and Auntie Celly would never forgive me.”

“He’s not violent, he doesn’t physically attack anypony, just assaults them mentally. He won’t hurt us, and maybe if positive energy helps him escape, then maybe he’ll be more willing to seriously consider what we have to say.”

“You’re determined to do this, aren’t you?”

“Princess Celestia has done so much for me, I want to do something just as important for her. I know there’s a chance we’ll fail, but it’s a risk worth taking. We’ll get the Elements and summon the girls and imprison him once again if need be.”

“Guess I don’t have much of a choice, do I?” Cadance said with a soft smile. “Alright, let’s do this then.”


It took the better part of a day, but the two managed to find him placed near Cadance’s holding cell during her stay, making the pink alicorn dreadfully uneasy with fresh and sharp memories of worrying about the fate of her fiancé. Would Discord somehow stop her from seeing her Shining Armor as well? “Let’s get this over with and quickly. You had better be right about this, Twilight.”

“I sincerely hope so,” she replied, watching as Cadance used the love spell, sending three red hearts brimming with energy into the statue’s torso. An ominous drum beat filled the room as a small section in his chest began to glow purple and pulsate, slowly growing bigger as cracks began to travel up and down the statue. Twilight swallowed nervously as the draconequus broke free, pausing his delight to stare menacingly at the ponies before him, his prison a mere pile of rubble at his feet. I hope I’m doing the right thing.

“Come to finish me off on your own, Twilight Sparkle? Your precious princess wouldn’t approve of blood on your hooves. If Celesta requires outside forces to stop me from spreading my artistry, what makes you think you can destroy me all on your own?”

“I’m not here to kill you; I’m here to try and negotiate your freedom.”

“You’re not Applejack; you have no right to lie me. From the moment I was set free last time, you and your absentee friends were immediately set on my trail to stop me. You want me gone, plain and simple. Where are they anyway, did I ultimately succeed in splitting you apart? Or are you too much of a Canterlot snob to be seen with anyone but alicorns?”

“What you did only made our friendship stronger,” she asserted, trying not to let him get to her. “Princess Cadance is my sister-in-law.”

“I guess it is to be expected; your whole family is just a bunch of puttane for princesses.”

Twilight growled deep in her throat, prepared to turn around and leave. Celestia doesn’t deserve you, what the hay was I thinking? No, keep it together; don’t let him see you angry. Emulate Trixie, turn it back on him. “Last I checked, you were the original whore for a princess,” she replied, doing her best to keep her tone casual. Bile rose in her throat for saying such a thing, but Discord was partially right, Celestia was special enough to have a vice grip on both their hearts, and Cadance filled in for her brother’s absence when she moved to the castle.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” Discord lied, not once breaking his façade.

“You love Princess Celestia,” she bluntly stated, unwilling to play games. “You’ve loved her for over a millennium, and she loves you back, though I honestly can’t see why.”

The chimera’s eyes widened as Twilight continued, telling him everything the princess told her about their relationship. “So she sent you here to do what exactly? Stab me in the back just when I’ve sufficiently let down my guard?”

“I’m doing this completely on my own,” the mare replied, pleased to see him raise an eyebrow in surprise. “No one knows anything about this. I want the princess to be happy, and you want to be free. If you control your chaos to some hidden-away land, away from the populace, I don’t see why you and the princess can’t live together in harmony, both of you getting what you want.”

“Newsflash, Twilight, I am the living representation of disharmony. Who’s to say I even desire a harmonious life with Celestia? Did you ever stop to think that I thrive on an unstable relationship?”

“I think the princess captured your heart and there’s nothing you can do about it,” she retorted, hoping and praying that she was right. “She’s the only stable element you want in your life. That’s why you came back to the castle after you hid the Elements, to see her.”

Discord stood there in silence for a moment before he let out a loud and hearty laugh that filled the room and echoed in the connecting passages. “Wow, Twilight, just wow, I thought you were a lot smarter than this. I came back to gloat, to simply rub it her face that I was free and there was nothing she could do about it. A great and powerful alicorn, she couldn’t even lift a hoof to protect her country when I returned, she had to depend on six, young mares, how pathetic.”

Twilight grit her teeth and lowered her head, her chest heaving with deep breaths as hot tears streamed down her face, desperate to control the rage inside her.

“Then stay down here and rot!” Cadance shouted as she stood in front of Twilight. “Just remember you had your chance at freedom, monster!” Using her magic, she molded crystal and the stone rubble into a wall, containing him within a small cave. She spat at him and then wrapped a comforting wing around Twilight, “Come on, let’s go.”

Silently, the unicorn nodded and slowly followed her out, sitting in the grass as the alicorn sealed the entrance with magic. Her anger had dissipated and she was left with nothing but despair that her plan failed. She didn’t dare open her mouth, afraid of the sobs that may escape as the two made their way back to her house. “I can’t believe I was so stupid!” She cried as soon as the front door was shut. “Why did I ever think he would change? Why does Princess Celestia care so much about that monster? Now he’s going to escape and wreck chaos all over Equestria again, and I don’t even know if I can open the doors of Canterlot Tower without her help, so she’ll have to know I made the stupidest mistake of my life!”

“It is both our faults, Twilight,” Cadance assured her as she wrapped her wings around the sullen mare. “I had faith in your plan too. I don’t know what happened, but I think it’s great that you at least tried. Auntie Celly will appreciate how much you care for her, and she won’t hate you because of this, I promise.”

“You really think so?” She sniffled, looking up at her former foal-sitter with wide-eyes.

“I know so,” the alicorn smiled, wiping away Twilight’s tears. “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake; clap your hooves and do a little shake,” she sang as she did the dance, pleased to see the unicorn mare snap out of it and join in.


Celestia rolled from her right side onto her left, hoping the change of position would better ease her into sleep, but her
distracting thoughts still remained. The best cleaning crew in Canterlot had been dispatched to her mountain cabin, and sent back a letter saying a thorough magic sweep found nothing out of the ordinary: no filth of any kind, including bodily fluid as they had been instructed to specially search check for, no dents in the wall, no broken furniture, nothing misplaced. “If we didn’t know any better, we would say no one has been here for quite some time,” the letter finished. Did the two spend their final day scrubbing and fixing, hiding all the evidence of two weeks of wild sexual abandon? The gleam in Cadance’s eyes suggested nothing less!

“Why am I so fixated on this? Why do I care?” She wondered aloud, half-hoping Luna would hear and come give her the answers she sought, though it was doubtful. Her sister never once confided about a special somepony since her return, not even an illicit liaison or a simple statement like, “Wow, that stallion is really cute.” Had her loins shriveled up and died during her banishment? If only I could be so lucky! In the thousand years since her sister’s banishment, sex was very few and far-between, and a very special somepony was unheard of. Luna got lucky with her very special somepony Clodhopper, finding him during the short time where ponies will still adjusting to their new rulers and the social distance between monarch and subject was not quite set. She no longer felt comfortable looking for romance among her subjects, no matter how close she became to someone. Since Discord’s return a little over a year ago, her long dormant desires were awake again, and hearing about Cadance’s honeymoon only made it worse. She grabbed the blanket in her teeth and wrapped it around her tighter. “I’m glad you found someone, Cadance, and may he make you happy like Discord once made me,” she murmured as the sweet embrace of the sandmare finally claimed her and she fell into a deep sleep.

Her ears barely twitched as the balcony door swung open with a slight whine and an intruder flew inside with gentle flapping of wings, covering the princess’s bed with a long, thin, shadow.