• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 5,154 Views, 169 Comments

Camaraderie - walk-in closet brony



"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers." - Francois Fenelon

  • ...
9
 169
 5,154

Chapter 7

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

-Napoleon Bonaparte

Battle of Baltimare Day 1-9:37 PM

"Captain Applejack! You ready to move out?" Yelled Ross.

As if the trip back across the plain to the barricades surrounding the outskirts of town was bad enough, telling the men that they needed to lay their lives down on the line once more that day with one less marine in their ranks was pure, agonizing torture. After informing his marines, Ross confronted Applejack and told her of the plan their general had concocted. They'd been silently preparing for the past few hours, awaiting the moment when they would have to leave their comrades to defend their newly won territory.

"Just about!" Replied Applejack, turning to Rainbow Dash.

"Are you sure about this? What if something happens?" Said Rainbow worriedly.

"Relax Rainbow, ain't nuthin' gonna happen to me." Applejack said, tightening her saddle pack.

Rainbow bit her lower lip and nervously squirmed where she sat.

"I mean, what if something happens to me? You were so in control today and I, I just lost it! Without you, I don't know what I'd do! I would just-"

Applejack put a hoof to Rainbow's mouth, effectively shutting her up.

"Ya don't have ta worry 'bout anything Rainbow. They probably wont even attack us tonight. We whupped 'em good today. They'd be crazy just to try." Applejack said with a stern voice.

Rainbow sat still for a moment.

"You're, you're probably right. Sorry I freaked out on you." She admitted.

"That's alright. I gotta go give them changelings what-for so ah'll probably be back before dawn. Stay safe, got it?" Said Applejack, turning away to rally her troops.

"Yeah, sure." Rainbow said dishearteningly.

Applejack trotted over to her soldiers. They were tired after today's fighting and showed obvious signs of fatigue. They looked even worse than she did after having to buck all the trees on the farm herself during apple-bucking season. The human, Ross, stepped over and spoke quietly to her.

"Aright, here's the deal. When we reach the pass, I want you to take your troops and circle around the left. I'm gonna take my boys and go around the right. Strolling down the middle of the road would just give us away so stick to the foliage coming in. Wait for my signal, then give the order to charge. They wont even know what hit 'em." He said triumphantly.

Applejack looked at him with concern. He was so sure his plan would work that he probably didn't even bother to consider any X-factors. What if they had reserves? What if they had a better defense? What if they weren't even there at all?

"You seem pretty confidant. Are ya'll sure this'll work?" She asked.

"Well, we tried it once, but they were waiting for us. Somehow, they knew of our attack. They probably don't even know we're coming this time though." He said reluctantly.

Applejack sighed. He really didn't know if it would play out right or not. She was sure of it.

"Ah guess..." She said, turning toward her soldiers.

"Alright everypony, we're gonna creep up that road west of here and give them changelings a good scare. Hopefully, they'll turn tail and run when we show up. Ironhoof, lead the troops up the left side of the road and stick to the bushes so they don't see us coming."

"Yes ma'am."

"Good. Once we get to the road, get into position until ah give the signal, understand?" Said Applejack.

"Yes ma'am!" Replied her guards.

Ross stepped up and waved the battalion over to his position.

"Everyone get ready to move light and fast. Once we leave, it'll leave Shining Armor and his boys here pretty weak so we gotta do this quick. We'll move double-time up the road until we get close to the pass. Got it?"

The congregation of soldiers nodded silently.

"Great. Lock and load boys, lets go kill us some changelings!" Said Ross.

"Hoorah!" Yelled the marines, the ponies following suit with their own quaint cheers.

Shining Armor, Rainbow Dash, and the rest of the troops watched their force weaken one by one as Ross and Applejack led the main body of the army out into the blackness west of their feeble defenses.

_____________________________________________________

Canterlot Castle 9:39 PM

Twilight sat at a table viewing tactical maps. They were old topographical and political maps with scribbles and markings on it.

The maps depicted the city Baltimare.

When Twilight came across the parchment, her mathematical curiosity got the best of her and she had to take a look. When she finally realized what it was however, she immediately became even more interested. The map dictated the tactical moves employed by the Equestrians when the changelings had invaded. She could immediately point out several tactical errors that had cost them the city and the terrible losses they had taken.

"Tsk tsk tsk... no no why would they move them here? There was obviously a larger force defending that courtyard!" Twilight said.

She could only sit in question at the idiotic moves obviously undertaken by military advisers and generals. The princesses couldn't possibly make moves like these without realizing the consequences. Then she looked at the outskirts of the city. Scribbled on the lower half were the words "Hold here until humans arrive" written in big black ink and circled.

That's where Rainbow and Applejack are right now. She thought solemnly to herself.

"Hiya Twilight!" Pinkie yelled as she comically tore her head straight through the map she was reading.

"AH!" Twilight screamed as she flipped over on her back.

"We're sorry if we interrupted you... oh please don't be mad!" Fluttershy said as she burrowed her face in her hair.

Twilight got back on her hooves and fixed her ruffled mane. Looking up, she was greeted by the apologetic faces of her friends.

"It's okay, I was about to put those maps up anyway." Said Twilight.

Rarity trotted over, observing the maps in question.

"Why on earth would you even be touching these filthy things anyway? They're so...dusty." She said with disgust.

"Oh, they're nothing. Just some old stuff I came across."

Just then, the door to the throne room flew open and an excited guard pony galloped through towards the princesses.

"The human garrison has arrived!" He said standing in the middle of the room, all eyes on him.

Princess Celestia looked up and nodded.

"Excellent. I'll be down at once." She said while stacking documents on a desk with her magic.

Twilight, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie raced down to the main gate followed by a cowering Fluttershy. They skidded to a stop at the road leading into the city as the approaching army marched by. The humans wore body armor on their slick uniforms unlike anything they'd ever seen on Equestrian royal guards. The soldiers resembled Ingram and Taylor but came in all different sizes.

"Woooooooooooow!" Pinkie said, prolonging her exasperated reaction to the human presence as they passed their small group and the surrounding ponies.

"I say, what on earth are those things?" Said one pony with emphasis.

The pampered citizens of Canterlot stood by with their children, watching the humans intently. The soldiers did the same, glancing at the curious ponies behind their helmets and gas masks.

"Они говорят. Теперь я видел все." Said one of the troops.

More chatter came from the army as they approached the castle.

"Huh? They don't sound anything like Mr. Taylor or Mr. Ingram." Fluttershy said timidly.

"Ugh! Those outfits look atrocious! I hope I don't have to go near any of those things anytime soon." Said Rarity.

Suddenly, a gust of wind blew her service cap off her head right next to the column of troops.

"Oh no, now I have to go and get it. Uh, I suppose I can wait until those ruffians pass by." Pouted Rarity.

Just then, a seemingly young soldier stepped out of line and glanced at Rarity then back at the cap. He leaned down and gripped the fabric, hesitated, then stood up.

"Eeeeeww! It's touching it! Celestia knows where those barbaric hands of theirs have been! What if he tries to make off with it? I custom-made that!" Rarity gasped.

The soldier turned toward the group of ponies and began taking small steps, then larger ones, until he was only a few feet away from the group. Fluttershy hid behind Twilight while Rarity cringed at the sight of the rugged man coming her way. Pinkie was now at the front of the line greeting every soldier as they passed by. The man with the cap was now only a few inches in front of them, staring down silently at the white pony. He reached out his hand holding the colorful headgear and blatantly stared. Then he spoke.

"Это твое?" He said.

Rarity quickly snatched the cap out from the soldiers hands to which he winced at her display of never-before-seen magic.

"Um, thank you?" Said Rarity.

A larger soldier emerged from the column and shouted at the one that had returned Rarity's cap.

"Василий! Еще в строю!" He shouted.

The young man jumped at the other's voice and wheeled around on it's heels, standing at attention.

"Да, товарищ!"

The soldier looked back at Rarity, nodded, then ran back in formation. An anxious Pinkie returned gasping for breath.

"Wait! I didn't get your name! Come to think of it, I couldn't get any of their names. All I heard was 'blah blah blah!'. They should really learn proper Equestrian so they can-"

Pinkie was interrupted by General Taylor's arrival.

"They're Russians. They have their own native language." He said.

A distinguished soldier stepped out of line and greeted Taylor in a thick accent.

"General Taylor I presume?"

"That's right. Pleased to meet you general Leonev." Said Taylor as he shook hands with the decorated commander.

"It is Good to see a friendly face. We were attacked by those ублюдки on our way here. We took no losses but got roughed up quite a bit."

"Good to know You made it here alright. Oh, I'd like you to meet some of the important figures we have here. This here is Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie." Said Taylor.

The girls responded in their usual fashion.

"Hello."

"H-hello....."

"Charmed."

"Hi! My name's Pinkie Pie and I like-"

Taylor cut in.

"Anyway, the princesses should be down in a little bit. Get your men acquainted while your at it. The barracks for your troops is set up on the north side of town and the nearby market should provide food for them." He said.

"Good. I'll see to it they know. Сергей! Возьмите людей к северной стороне города и заставить их создать в казармах обеспечен!" Shouted the General.

"Да, сэр!" Responded a soldier.

The army of Russians shouted orders down the line as they veered their column towards their new home. Princess Celestia and princess Luna arrived shortly afterward, accompanied by a consort of royal guards.

"Ah, you're the Russian commander, yes?" Asked Celestia.

"That would be correct." Confirmed Leonev.

Luna trotted up and did something akin to a curtsy and spoke proudly.

"We welcome you and your gallant warriors to Equestria fine commander. Please make yourself at home." She said.

Leonev bowed slightly and replied.

"I thank you for the exceptional welcome your majesties."

Celestia came forward.

"It is well you have come to aid us general." Said Celestia, gesturing a wing towards the castle.

"We have much to talk about."

____________________________________________________

West of Baltimare Day 1-9:53 PM

Ross' and Applejack's unit quietly crept their way up the sides of the road until they reached the rocky pass they were ordered to seize. There was no sign of anyone ever having been there so they continued along the rugged path.

"Ah don't like this. It's too quiet." Said Applejack.

Ross didn't know what to say. He was already on-edge following the absence of the changelings. The last time they had tried a preemptive strike it had played out in their favor but at a cost. The changelings were waiting for them at the ambush point resulting in casualties that should have never occurred.

"We should keep moving down the road. We'll find their encampment eventually." Ross replied reluctantly.

"If you say so." Said Applejack.

A mile down the road, the army had reached a rocky cliff that overlooked the plains surrounding Baltimare. From their position, the Equestrians and the humans could see their own friendly positions sitting on the northern outskirts.

"Looks peaceful from here doesn't it? It's almost like the war never happened." Said Sgt. Freeman.

Sergeant Ironhoof looked over at the human and scowled. He didn't need to answer to the likes of them. His hatred for them fueled by the loss of his family still burned on. Even after the attack on the city earlier that day he had felt no different.

"Don't it?" The man said, now staring at Ironhoof and expecting a reply.

"Hmm... yeah, sure." Said the pony, looking away.

"You okay?" Asked Freeman.

Ironhoof didn't answer and instead stared at the eerie silence of the grassland in front of him, gazing eagerly to confirm if what he thought he saw earlier was real.

"Because if you need someone to talk to I can surely-"

"What was that?" Asked Ironhoof.

Freeman tried to pinpoint where Ironhoof was looking.

"What was what?"

"That, down there. Oh Celestia, the changelings! They're attacking the garrison!" Yelled Ironhoof.

Ross and Applejack looked down at the city to confirm what the frantic pony had just uttered. Ross grabbed the pair of binoculars off his neck and scanned the outskirts, curious to see what had caused the panic.

"Holy motherfucking ass-crackers! They're attacking our troops!" Shouted Ross.

"Wha- oh no. Rainbow. We gotta get down there now!" Replied Applejack.

"Lets move! Everyone down the pass, we gotta go help our guys!"

____________________________________________________________

Battle of Baltimare Day 1-9:59 PM

"RAAAAA-"

The changeling in front of Rainbow Dash hit the ground, a bloodied spear torn right through its chest. The attack had come in silence up to the point of a distinct changeling war cry and the sound of lances crashing against armor and flesh. The changelings had attacked shortly after the humans and Applejack left, leaving them stranded and vulnerable.

"Just hold out a little bit longer!" Yelled Silver Sparks.

Rainbow had frozen in place when the changelings began flowing out of the woodwork but was now actively maneuvering her way towards Twilight's older brother for extra protection. Because right now, he was the safest pony to be next to in the whole war.

"Eat this!" Yelled Rainbow, driving her lance through the back of an unsuspecting changeling.

Another one came at her from the side, lance extended for the kill. Quickly, she dodged and counterattacked, effectively finishing off the attacking enemy.

"Ha! Too slow!" She said, employing her brash personality in the heat of combat.

She could now see Shining Armor clearly in the moonlight. He was surrounded but obviously had the situation under control as several changelings went flying every time he bucked his legs. All she had to do was-

'Fwump'

Rainbow Dash hit the ground hard. A changeling captain had pinned her to the ground and raised his spear for the killing blow. All she could do was wait for it to end. Hopefully it wouldn't be as painful as she imagined it would be.

Crack!

The changeling's head opened up and brain matter spilled onto Rainbow's face. The lifeless body hung there eerily, even in death maintaining it's stance. The human, Ross, kicked the body over then reached for his helmet and spoke.

"Nice shot Jacobs! Keep it up!"

Ross looked down at the stunned Rainbow Dash and held a hand out to her.

"Get up captain! This ain't over yet!"

____________________________________________________

Battle of Baltimare Day 1-10:03 PM

The attack ended just as soon as the humans arrived with Applejack and her troops. The changelings disbanded and fell back into the city, not even bothering to grab the wounded. Ross, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash sat on a few crates drinking from their canteens.

"You okay? You look pretty shaken up." Said Ross as he took a swig of water from his canteen.

"Yeah, I'm cool. I totally handled myself back there. Applejack you would've been amazed at how awesome I was during that fight, I totally-"

"There ain't nuthin 'awesome' about war." Applejack said, cutting herself off by taking a drink.

It was quiet for a minute after that, the three no longer discussing that day's events. The soldiers however, were relieved to see their buddies alive and happily conversed with one another. Those who lost friends mourned where their bodies sat. It was a sad reunion, but under the circumstances the Equestrians would take it. They looked forward to a long nights rest because tomorrow, they would be entering the city to root out all remaining enemy resistance.

__________________________________________________________

Battle of Baltimare Day 2-8:32 AM

The advance into the city was slow paced and agonizingly quiet. For the first ten minutes the advancing forces hadn't seen a lick of the changelings. The battered ruins in front of them offered only silence and obstructive debris. The Equestrians would take it street by street. Then they would move into the buildings and clear out each room, taking prisoners if they had to.

If they could only find prisoners to take.

"Where the hay are those guys?" Asked Swift Wind.

"Shhhh. Don't break silence." Said Shining Armor.

Further back along the advancing column Private Sandler, a replacement, noisily crunched the broken glass beneath their feet as he and the soldiers around him pushed forward into the city.

"Why do we have to go in first? Cant we just wait till the reinforcements get here?" Sandler asked.

"Because the brass wants this city taken as soon as possible to make the rendezvous in the capitol city. Besides, the Germans and the British'll be here soon so quit your complaining." Lance Corporal Childers said irritably.

"Sheesh, take it easy. I didn't mean nothing by it. I just cant wait to get me a changeling. You guys took all of 'em last night before I could get a shot off." Said Sandler.

Sergeant Cumberland looked up and shook his head.

"You rooks think you know everything. 'When do I get to fight?' or 'when am I gonna bag me a tango?'. You kids don't know the first thing about whats going on here. You wanna know the best part about this? Right now. Why? Because we're not fighting and dying. I don't know about you, but I cant wait to get home from this goddamn war and see my wife and kids." He said, looking away from the crowd of troops now staring at him solemnly.

It was quiet for a long time until they came to an intersection near the town square. Ross halted the troops and crept forward accompanied by Shining Armor.

"Whaddya think?" Said Ross.

Shining Armor scanned the buildings in front of them and frowned.

"It's too quiet. We should keep-"

"Contact!"

Suddenly, the air around them was filled with plasma bursts prompting the entire army to stop and hit the dirt.

"We cant stay here!" Yelled Applejack.

"I know, I know! Just let me think!" Yelled Ross.

Dark figures moved around behind the windows of each building firing plasma shots at the pinned down infantry. Any Pegasus that tried to get airborne was picked off with ease. The Unicorns and marines fired aimlessly at the buildings, praying the madness would end.

"Move into the buildings! We have to get off this street!" Yelled Ross.

The army surged left and right as each squad picked a door to escape the hailstorm of fire coming at them from all sides.

Sergeant Cumberland lined up alongside a few other marines and ponies. One of them, a rainbow maned Pegasus, reared up to kick down the door.

"Whoa, hold it!" Yelled Cumberland.

Rainbow Dash halted her legs fast enough that she just barely scraped the door.

"Are you crazy?! We have to get off this street!" She yelled.

"How do you know if they aren't waiting for us to rush in? Put some grenades in those windows!" Yelled Cumberland.

The marines smashed in the windows and lobbed their fragmentation grenades into the shop. Several loud bangs accompanied by screams of pain were heard shortly after.

"Kick that door in!"

Rainbow reared back again and bucked the door off it's hinges, sending it splintering across the room.

"Go go go!" Ordered Cumberland.

The ponies and marines rushed into the lobby of the store they had breached and were welcomed by the ravaged bodies of the changelings they had killed with the grenades.

"See? What'd I tell ya?" Said Cumberland.

"I... I had no idea.." Said Rainbow.

"Exactly. Now lets go clear the upper floors. We gotta take the heat off our guys in the street!" Shouted Cumberland, rushing up the stairs towards the sound of changeling spell bursts.

Outside, Applejack crouched tightly behind a barrel praying a plasma shot wouldn't hit her. Swift Wind galloped past and knocked her aside, saving her from a plasma burst that would've killed her.

"Oh Celestia! I owe you ma life!" Yelled Applejack.

Swift Wind smiled and nodded at her.

"No problem, now lets get moving before they-"

Swift Wind's head jerked and her body hit the ground. Applejack stumbled back and beheld the sight of the lieutenants scorched head. Her mane was burning and the skin around her face was singed black.

She was dead.

Applejack was in hell. All she could do was sit and wait until this deadly firefight ended so they could keep pushing into the city. Because in actuality, she just wanted to get as far away from the corpse in front of her as possible.

Ross watched Swift Wind hit the ground ten feet away from him. Next to him, Shining Armor bravely returned fire, completely oblivious to what just happened.

"God dammit! We have to get off this road!" Yelled Avery.

"Wait! You see that? The buildings on the left aren't shooting at us anymore!" Said Silver Sparks.

Sergeant Cumberland, Rainbow Dash, and the rest of the troops had effectively cleared out the upper floors of the strip mall across the street and were returning fire on the buildings that were still changeling-held.

"Yeah! We got 'em on the run! Yelled Ironhoof.

"C'mon! Lets chase 'em down!" Shouted Avery.

Ross and Shining Armor halted their troops.

"No, hold up!" Yelled Ross.

Shining Armor galloped in front of the soldiers.

"Stop, STOP!" He yelled.

The troops skidded to a halt, huffing from the tiresome fight that took place a few seconds ago.

"What gives?"

"C'mon, we can end this now!"

"Look! They're getting away!

Ross climbed up onto a wagon and addressed the weary soldiers.

"Listen up! We cant go any further today. Right now, we need to regroup and resupply. Tomorrow, with the help of the Germans and the British, well push into town and finish it!" He Shouted.

The troops calmed down and began milling around the area searching for friends that had gone missing and items they might have dropped. Rainbow Dash found Applejack and rejoiced. Shining Armor and Ross met on the street corner and began discussing the plans for the next day.

"When we hear the reinforcements coming from the north, we'll start our advance. The changelings should be pressured enough into surrendering by then." Said Ross.

Shining Armor nodded and stared out into the remaining blocks they had to secure.

"Tomorrow's gonna be a long day. I cant believe we-"

A soldier called out from behind them, cutting off Shining Armor.

"Captain!"

The two commanders walked over to the source of the voice and immediately regretted it. After cutting through the large crowd, Shining Armor could only stare at the limp body of his esteemed lieutenant.

"What's going on here- oh god..."

Ross stopped where he was, glanced at the corpse, and then at his captain counterpart. Shining Armor wore a somber look, never taking his eyes off the unfortunate pony in front of them.

"My condolences. If it makes you feel any better..." Ross trailed off, realizing Shining Armor had already trotted off.

The bereaved pony captain stood in the middle of the road, eyes closed, head pointed up at the sky.

He remained like that for the rest of the day.

__________________________________________________

Battle of Baltimare Day 3- 11:43 AM

The sound of gunfire in the distance awoke the startled Equestrian troops in the early light of the morning. Ross, Shining Armor, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash rallied their troops for the long day ahead of them.

"Lets go! We gotta help the others!" Yelled Ross.

The marines and ponies quickly filed into their squads and began to move out. Halfway up the block, They came under fire by changeling infantry firing in all directions.

"Hit the deck!" Yelled Avery.

Suddenly, a voice crackled in Ross' earpiece. It was foreign, and appeared to be speaking to him.

"Günther, halten das Feuer! American unit! We are under heavy fire and need support! Can you confirm our location?" Yelled the soldier.

Ross touched his earpiece and replied.

"Uh, yeah! We can see you from our position across the street! It's the destroyed building on the left right?"

"Ja! We can see you as well! My men are entering the building on the right. Tell your troops to hold your fire!" Yelled the man.

"Got it! Everyone hold your fire! Hold your fire!" Shouted Ross.

Over the battles being fought across the city, the marines and ponies outside the building ahead of them could easily hear the one taking place in front of them. The sound of breached doors and flash-bangs could be heard echoing throughout the structure. Then, for the most part, silence.

"What happened?" Asked Rainbow Dash.

"Just wait a sec." Said Ross.

Human soldiers began pouring out of the buildings and shouting commands.

"Amerikanische Soldaten! Halten Sie Ihr Feuer!" Shouted one soldier as he stepped out from cover and sprinted over to Ross.

"You are the Americans, yes?" Asked the soldier.

"Yep. Captain Arthur Ross. We've been here quite a while. It's good to finally see some more friendly faces. Germans right?" Ross said extending a hand.

The soldier shook it quickly and replied.

" Ja. Major Hans Ackart. The British came in on the other side of town. We need to push through to the center of the city. We'll meet them there and end this." Said the major.

"Sounds like a plan. Gather around!" Yelled Ross.

The Equestrians formed a wide arc around Ross and leaned in.

"Shining Armor, I need you to take your guys and move down that street. From there, you should be able to see the advancing British forces. Follow them in. We'll meet you in the center of the city."

"You got it. Be careful out there. You never know what kind of tricks they might pull on us." Said Shining Armor, leading his forces down the street opposite the marines.

"Rainbow Dash and Applejack, you two break off down that road and get a flank on these bastards. When we send 'em running, I want you guys to encircle their retreating forces and capture or kill as many as you can. Got it?" Said Ross

Both nodded vigorously.

"Alright, lets get this done."

The troops all moved in their specific directions and engaged the wavering changeling force desperately trying to hold on to the dying city.

________________________________________________

Canterlot 11:41 AM

"Дмитрий, приносят собак здесь!"

The Russian barracks was was no longer the empty corner it was a few days ago. It was now a lively encampment that often kept the civilians of that district awake and annoyed. Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie stood nearby watching the humans perform their curious tasks only further confusing the nearby ponies. Then, to everyone's surprise, they heard the loud barking of dogs. Fluttershy gasped.

"Wow, they have puppies! I cant wait to smooch and snuggle them and-"

A Russian turned the corner pulling a leash attached to five huge, snarling German Shepherds.

"Oh my..." Fluttershy whimpered.

Pinkie wasn't fazed and began jubilantly hopping over to the large dogs, Getting closer to them by every passing second.

"Ooooo! They look so cute! Applejack has a dog like that, only smaller and cuter and-"

'Snap'

Pinkie jumped back in surprise, the barking dogs in front of her ferociously snapping their jaws at her.

"Hey, Winona doesn't do that!" She said.

The other Russians began laughing to themselves at the sight in front of them and continued doing whatever mundane duty they were tasked as if nothing happened. Rarity swooped in and pulled Pinkie back toward the group.

"Hey girls, maybe we should go check out the shops..." Said Twilight, slowly turning away from the foreign soldiers.

_______________________________________________

Battle of Baltimare Day 3-11:58 AM

The center of town was in sight, and the changelings were making the humans and ponies pay for every inch of it in blood. Shining Armor and the British armed forces had just cleared a small courtyard and were now sprinting across a street to clear a building overlooking the city square.

"Lets move! They're pulling back!" Yelled the British captain.

"C'mon! The door is this way!" Shouted Shining Armor.

The humans stacked up against the door while the unicorns put suppressing fire on the changelings down the road.

"Flash-bangs out!"

The windows of the shop were smashed in and the distinct sound of numerous bangs and cries for help were heard shortly after.

"Alright lets get 'em!" Said a soldier rushing in and emptying the clip in his Enfield rifle.

The lobby of the building was cleared and a portion of humans clambered noisily up the stairs. Private Mills, a sharpshooter, passed by numerous corridors and hallways but skidded to a stop at a specific spot. It was a door, beautifully engraved with praise for the ruling sisters, but still nothing special. But there was something off about it.

"Hold up lads, you hear that?" He whispered.

"No, what it is?"

Mills pointed toward the door and mouthed the word, 'inside' at his comrades. They nodded and set a breaching charge on the door, waiting to storm the room and kill whatever was inside.

Blam!

The door blasted into the room and the Brits rushed in, filling the walls with pock marks from their assault rifles.

"Cease firing!" Said the captain.

Just as Mills had expected, a small contingent of changelings had set up a command post in the small room.

"Good job private. Carlyle, fill those windows and pick off any changelings you see defending that square." Ordered the captain.

"Yes sir!"

The British snipers lined the window panes and, with the utmost precision, began efficiently blowing holes through any changeling's head that dared reveal itself.

Down below, Ross and the Germans slowly advanced across the destroyed town square.

"Unterdrücken diese Wechselbälger!" Yelled major Ackart.

"Keep moving! They gotta give up soon!" Yelled Lance Corporal Childers.

Ross scrambled over a small brick wall and ducked behind a splintered wagon. He leaned over to corporal Rossetti and hailed him.

"Rossetti! Put an AT-4 round on that parliament building!" Said Ross.

"Aye skip!"

Rossetti leveled the weapon on his shoulder and fired.

'Boom'

A large hole opened up in the building, exposing several frantic soldiers. In a mass panic, the entire garrison routed to the left out of town.

Straight into the waiting lances of Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

"We got 'em now!" Shouted Rainbow.

The retreating changelings rammed right into the wall of spears, a select few managing to get by, not even bothering to engage.

"Woohoo! We did it!" Shouted Sgt. Cumberland.

The remaining Equestrians got up and cheered. German, British, American, and pony alike happily embraced one another.

The battle for Baltimare was over.

_________________________________________________

Baltimare outskirts 2:34 PM

"Yes sir. We have retaken the city." Said Ross, speaking to general Taylor through his radio.

Outside, the soldiers rejoiced and started rounding up supplies, enemy intelligence, and ammunition.

And prisoners.

"Where do you think your going?" Said private Francis, throwing a changeling back in line.

Up ahead, Lance corporal Childers, Yellow Star, and a few other troops manned a checkpoint guarding the way out of town. Childers waved them down and walked up to private Francis.

"Hold up private, I'll take it from here." Said Childers, halting the group and pulling a small group of changelings to the side. He looked at them for a few seconds and then lined them up on the wall.

"Any documents or personal letters?" He asked the first changeling.

It looked confused for moment, then shook his head. Childers continued down the line asking the same question, actually receiving a few journals and letters to god-knows-who.

"Alright, face the wall." Said Childers.

Not knowing what was to become of them, the changelings obediently turned towards the wall of the building.

"Hey Santana, this one goes out to you." Childers said quietly, raising his M4 to his shoulder.

Then he opened fire.

The wall in front of the changelings was splattered with blood and gore while the corporal mercilessly cut them down. The changelings still in line with private Francis stood mortified at the scene unfolding in front of them causing one to make a break for the open fields behind him in an attempt to get away.

"I got this one." Said Yellow Star.

The pony lowered his head and fired his lethal spell. The changeling stumbled for a bit and then fell to the ground.

Direct hit.

"Alright Francis, you go on ahead and bring the rest of these fuckers back to base camp." Said Childers.

The shaken private walked the rest back to the headquarters out of town, certain none would try to escape this time. A couple yards away in his tent, Ross watched Childers execute the changeling prisoners. Through the radio, General Taylor's voice crackled through the headset.

"Ross? You okay, I heard gunfire. What happened?"

Ross considered his words. What Childers had done was completely in violation of the Geneva convention. It was terrible, unruly, and frowned upon by the U.S. military. He needed to report this to General Taylor at once and court-marshall the corporal for his vicious acts.

Ross spoke.

"Nothing sir. Nothing at all."

__________________________________________________