• Published 31st Jul 2021
  • 1,554 Views, 79 Comments

Rainbow in the Dark - BaeroRemedy



Another world? A nightmare? An illusion? Surely this can't be the reality that always was.

  • ...
3
 79
 1,554

What Do All The People Know?

“Rainbow Dash, wake up! They’re talking about you!” Once more, Rainbow was roused from a restless sleep by somepony deciding to be loud around her. With a groan, she pushed herself up and blinked a few times, trying to clear the sleep from her eyes before she remembered just why that wouldn’t work. She squinted just enough to make out the white and purple blob that stood in the doorway to the guest room she had been given to sleep in.

“What? Who?” Dash reached out with her wing to where she had put her glasses the night before. Once her feathers had found purchase, they quickly picked them up and she set them on her muzzle. “What time is it…?”

“Oh about seven in the morning.” Rarity answered nonchalantly before using her magic to pull the covers off of the sleepy pegasus. “Now come along, King Sombra and Spitfire are speaking about you!” That was certainly enough to give her a jolt, one that spurred her to her hooves and made her stagger towards the door.

“Alright alright, I’m coming.” Dash leaned against the doorframe for a moment and yawned, her stomach adding in a hungry growl on top of it. Right, she still hadn’t eaten anything since...well, since she really didn’t know when. Maybe going to bed without eating was a bad idea after all.

So she staggered down the hallway towards the living room, the sound of ceremonial music coming from the radio that sat in the corner. Rarity was sitting on the couch, a newspaper beside her and an empty bowl on the coffee table in front of her. A box of cereal was held in the light blue aura as it filled the bowl slowly.

“So why are they talking about me?” Rainbow sat beside Rarity on the couch and let out yet another yawn. Early morning sunshine streamed through pulled back drapes and filled the room with much needed light. It was a pretty apartment, Dash had to concede that. Not that she expected anything less from Rarity.

“Your little galavant through Canterlot yesterday was quite the shock for some ponies.” Rarity spoke with the same level of haughty assuredness that Dash had always known her to, it was like nothing had changed. “Nopony knew you were alive, much less rescued. So the news spread like wildfire and now it needs to be addressed.”

“Yeah, fair.” Giving Spitfire more work sent a twinge of guilt through the pegasus. “When are they actually supposed to start talking?” Listening to the waiting music wasn’t exactly the best way to wake up a tired and hungry mare.

“Oh any moment now, darling.” Rainbow hadn’t been paying attention, but at some point Rarity had filled the bowl with milk as well. “Now here, breakfast for you. Spitfire got it for you before she went to work, she insisted it was your favorite.”

“Uh, thanks.” Dash scooped up the bowl in a hoof and used her good wing to grab a spoon that had been sitting beside it. The contents of the bowl were what looked to be chocolate chip cookies, but in miniature. She could already see the milk around the little bits turning chocolate slowly. “I thought they stopped making this stuff when I was a filly…” She muttered to herself before taking a big bite.

“And now a statement from His Majesty King Sombra, Crystal Emperor, Sole Regent of Equestria and her Territories, Pony of the People.” A tinny voice sounded from the radio, drawing the attention of both the mares.

“Full of himself, isn’t he?” Dash’s remark earned a smack on her shoulder from Rarity. “Ow! It was a joke, chill.” The pegasus grumbled and rolled her shoulder. So ponies, or at least Rarity, were touchy about him.

“Hello everypony.” The baritone timbre of King Sombra’s voice seeped out of the speakers of the radio. “Wonderful to see you all here today, and with such good news.” Chuckles came from the press that most likely surrounded the unicorn king as they took their notes. “I will not waste your time or mine any longer, though. Specialist Rainbow Dash has been found and rescued, she is currently relaxing and is recovering.” Cameras audibly clicked and flashbulbs went off as ponies documented the moment, murmurs rising from the crowd. “It was none other than the brave Captain Spitfire who carried out the daring mission. As such, it would be inappropriate for me to explain the complexities of the situation so I will turn this over to the good Captain.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” Spitfire’s voice came from among the shuffle as the sound of Sombra’s steel vestments rattled and hit the stone floor as he moved away from the microphone. “I want to set a few boundaries before I get started: I will not be giving information of where Rainbow Dash was being kept. That’s classified and revealing what we know will only show our hoof to the ponies who did this.” There was a pause as the reporters chattered eagerly. “Yes, you.”

“Cloud Cover, Cloudsdale At Seven. So you can confirm that it was ponies who did this? There was some speculation that it might have been Changelings given recent activity at the border with the Hive.”

“Yes, and I can confirm that it was The Cult of Dusk and Dawn.” Shocked murmurs and gasps ran through the crowd. “It’s safe to say that their motivation for ponynapping such a public face of the Royal Guard was to deter ponies from enlisting and to demoralize our troops. However, we have recovered Rainbow Dash and shown that we will stop at nothing to save anypony threatened by these terrorists.”

Rainbow Dash had to admit, Spitfire was good in front of a microphone. Her voice was always level and calm, but there was a certain stern quality about it that commanded respect. That wasn’t even just here, either. The Wonderbolt Captain that still sat in her memories was the same way. Authoritative and stalwart, a rock that ponies admired and respected.

“Air Waves, Canterlot News Network. Were any ponies captured during the operation that can give more information about The Cult?”

“No.” The microphone picked up a small sigh from Spitfire. “I went on this mission alone, as it was too dangerous to risk multiple ponies. However, we have a pony of interest that you were given a photograph of: Starlight Glimmer. She’s long been thought of as a key member of The Cult, but now we have confirmation of that fact. I’m asking ponies all across Equestria: if you have any information that could lead to the arrest of Starlight Glimmer or any members of The Cult of Dusk and Dawn, please contact your local Royal Guard post. You will be rewarded if your information bears fruit. We must show these ponies that we will not live in fear of them, but we will live in peace in spite of them.”

“Oh she’s good.” Rainbow muttered to herself as she sat her bowl of cereal down on the table. There was a certain art to playing to a crowd, Dash was intimately familiar with it. Knowing your audience, knowing how they would react to certain things and using their own expectations and emotions against them. All mandatory tools in any entertainer’s toolkit, and all were being deployed perfectly by Spitfire.

“Clear Picture, Fillydelphia Enquirer. What exactly is Specialist Dash’s condition? Reports from ponies who saw her yesterday described her as ‘gaunt, panicked, and missing a wing.’ Any comments?”

“I am not at liberty to discuss Specialist Dash’s condition at the moment.” Even from sound alone, Rainbow could tell that Spitfire was looking down at the podium instead of at the crowd. “She had an episode of panic after waking up yesterday that resulted in her escaping from the castle. She was found and brought back safely and is currently here and recovering.” Spitfire’s tone softened as she spoke the next words. “What she has been through can be described only as ‘traumatic’. While I know she’s a pony that many ponies around Equestria love and admire, we ask that you give her time to heal and adjust to a normal life again. She will be back in the public eye eventually, but it may be awhile.” There was a pause. “Thank you all for your time and I thank His Majesty King Sombra for giving me this opportunity. Long live the King and long live Equestria.”

“Well, that was quite something.” Rarity turned the radio down considerably as she turned towards Dash. “How are you feeling, darling? Well, I hope.” That was a very complicated question whose answer she wasn’t even sure of herself.

“Honestly? Like I need a shower.” Dash opted to go for something more surface level rather than get too deep into it. The improvised shower that the downpour had given her yesterday was nice, but it couldn’t compare to the real thing. “Do you mind if I…?”

“Oh yes, of course!” Rarity exclaimed as she stood up with a smile. “Our house is your house for now, darling. Anything you need, just ask!” Rainbow stood as well and was enveloped by a warm hug from the other mare. “I am glad you are safe, Rainbow Dash. I know you and I may not talk much, but you are family. You’re very important to Spitfire, and therefore important to myself as well.”

“Thanks Rarity.” There was no hesitancy in Dash’s reciprocation of the action. The hug from Spitfire yesterday had been nice, but this felt like home. She wrapped her hooves around the fashionista she thought she knew and squeezed, closing her eyes and enjoying the moment. “It means a lot, really. Thanks.” The two parted with a small smile between them, and Rainbow went back down the hall and into the bathroom.

The first thing Rainbow Dash did when she entered the small space and closed the door was to look in the mirror. She didn’t recognize the mare that stared back at her. Even if she ignored the glasses that still looked out of place, she still looked like somepony else.

Her mane was long and shaggy, much more so than her usual messy look she loved, as it was now hanging all around her head. Her ears were nearly completely covered up by it and the neat trail that went down the back of her neck now spread out everywhere. It wasn’t just the mane either. Like the reporter on the radio had said, she looked gaunt. Her eyes looked sunken and she could see her cheekbones through her fur and skin. Three months in a dungeon hadn’t been kind to her at all.

“I will get better.” She told the mare in the mirror with startling confidence. “This is not who I am.” Unlike a similar message directed to the picture hanging on the wall of the house yesterday, this one was not meant to mean that she was a separate pony from the one she was looking at.

After affixing a shower cap to her stump of a wing and promising to apologize to Rarity afterwards, Rainbow showered. She didn’t sit in there for long, nor did she indulge herself in the act. It was quick as all showers should be. The image of the mare in the mirror was seared into her mind and she wanted to work on getting her body right as soon as possible.

That desire was once again stonewalled when she exited the bathroom by none other than Spitfire. The pegasus stood at the end of the hallway in her full black crystal armor, sans the helmet that had been destroyed by Starlight. Her mane was fully styled into that tall flaming mohawk that she had in the castle and a sympathetic look on her face.

“King Sombra wants to speak to you, Dash. I was sent to come get you.” Rainbow’s determination was quickly crushed beneath the weight of that statement. “I know you probably don’t want to and I’m sorry, but they’re orders.” Spitfire stepped aside so Dash could step out into the living room.

“What does he want to talk to me about?” Rainbow raised an eyebrow as she walked down the hall. Spitfire hit the nail on the head, she really didn’t want to talk to Sombra. It still felt wrong to even think of him in Canterlot and even more wrong to think of him as ruling Equestria.

“I think he just wants to help you readjust, Dash.” Spitfire sighed and placed a hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder as she drew close. “I know he was some sort of villain in your...your dreams, whatever you want to call them, but that’s not real.” Spitfire looked Rainbow right in the eyes and spoke slowly. “This is real, right here and right now. King Sombra is the rightful king of Equestria and he wants to speak to you. He’s no monster, he’s no villain. Please, just speak to him. You don’t have to like him, just afford him a little respect.” Spitfire’s voice lowered and she practically whispered to Rainbow. “Do it for me, Dashie.”

“Fine.” Dash acquiesced to the request meekly. She couldn’t find the courage or will to deny Spitfire no matter how hard she tried. “It’s still...weird, y’know?” In her heart, she knew that Sombra wasn’t a good guy, she knew he was a monster. “You’ll be there, right?”

“Yeah, I’ll be there with you.” Spitfire smiled and squeezed Rainbow’s shoulder. “Now c’mon, best not to keep him waiting.”

--------

Rainbow Dash and Spitfire stood at the doors to the throne room, the engraving of Canterlot Mountain looming high above the two pegasi. Rainbow’s hooves shuffled nervously, knowing just what was on the other side made her heart thunder in her chest. She wasn’t ready for this, but she had to do it.

The doors opened with the help of Spitfire, exposing Rainbow to the throne room for the first time. Rainbow remembered it as a long room, the white marble floor was split by a red carpet that ran the length of it. Massive stained glass windows detailing the heroic exploits of Princess Celestia and Luna, and the Elements of Harmony lined the far side. This throne room was much the same, except the carpet was now deep purple and the white marble columns had been replaced by the deep purple, almost black, crystals that Sombra was known for.

She also didn’t recognize any of the scenes depicted on the stained glass windows anymore.

“Captain Spitfire, Rainbow Dash.” Sombra was standing in front of one of the windows, silhouetted by the sun streaming through the colored glass. The shadowy unicorn turned around and smiled at the two mares.

“Your Majesty.” Spitfire bowed and nodded towards Sombra, then nudged Rainbow Dash to follow suit.

“Your Majesty.” Rainbow would say the title, but she wouldn’t bow. Instead she opted to simply nod. It was bad enough that she had to give him any modicum of respect, but not even Spitfire would get her to bow to him.

“I understand from Spitfire’s reports that you’ve forgotten many things.” Sombra spoke calmly as he strode across the room to the mares. “I want to apologize for that and I want to offer my own help in refreshing you on the history of this great country.” Sombra stopped right in front of Dash and looked her over, his bright green eyes burning into her. “First, tell me what you think I am and what Equestria is. Do not fret, I won’t be angry. I need to know.”

“Gladly.” Rainbow shot back the moment Sombra closed his mouth. “You took over the Crystal Empire in some sort of coup and enslaved the crystal ponies. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna helped banish you, but you took the Empire with you. You came back one thousand years later and you were beaten again.” There was more of course, but much like what she had done with Rarity and Spitfire, she withheld some details. Saying that she was instrumental in killing Sombra wouldn’t do any good, no way.

“Fascinating.” Sombra responded with a chuckle and turned around. “Come with me, please.” Rainbow obliged the request, mainly because Spitfire nudged her to do so. They followed Sombra over to the opposite wall, to the first of many stained glass windows. It depicted the Crystal palace with Sombra on its balcony. “There was no coup. The Crystal Empire was a strange relic in the age in which it existed: when the previous ruler died it was up to a group of trusted ponies to select their predecessor from a pool of candidates. I was one of them, and I won the election fair and square, over even the ambassador to Equestria who was one of Celestia’s closest friends.” There was a venomous chuckle from the unicorn as he continued. “I was accused of rigging the election, accused of killing the previous Queen all because their little friend did not get her way.”

Rainbow was humoring this, but she didn’t believe a word. Painting Celestia and Luna as foals throwing a fit because their friend didn’t win? No, that wasn’t who they were. Maybe Luna on a really bad day, but Celestia? Patient and matronly Celestia? There was just no way.

“I rebuffed every accusation. I pushed back as they threatened to take the Crystal Empire from me by force.” Sombra growled as his hoof seemed to dig into the marble below it. “I could not stand up to the combined might of the sun and the moon, I knew it. So I turned to magic I scarcely understood. A relic that sat far beneath the earth, promising power if one could survive their fears. If one were to succumb to the challenge, they would be driven mad.”

“So it drove you mad.” Rainbow Dash concluded with a nod and her eyes narrowed. “You banished them instead and took over Equestria, right?” She could see it in her mind’s eye, history gone wrong where the bad guy won. It made her stomach churn.

“I did not succumb, I overcame.” Sombra turned back to Rainbow, his cloak billowing as he spun. “What the relic showed me was the world you described: a world where I went mad, enslaved my own ponies and fell to the shadows that crept into my mind. I saw it all, and it told me that it was unchanging, written in the stars that it must happen. I rejected it.” Rainbow stepped back, the words hitting her like a runaway train. He had seen it too? “When I was told I would lose, I won. When I was commanded to be cruel, I turned kind. When the universe said I was to be conquered, I became the conqueror!” Sombra roared out victoriously as he hastily moved to the next window. “When the sun and the moon came to my doorstep, I struck them down where they stood because I was told they were eternal!”

Dash’s eyes trailed up the pane of multicolored glass. Sombra stood with a spear made of crystal in his magical grasp, the crumpled forms of Celestia and Luna at his hooves. Her blood ran cold as it hit her. They weren’t banished, they were dead. One thousand years dead.

“They were foals given that which they did not earn.” Sombra sneered at the depictions of the alicorns and shook his head. “Power, respect. All just...given to them. Can you believe that? Control over all of the ponies of the world, a kingdom, a castle. Destiny decreed them gods and the world went along with it. Raised them up on a pedestal so high that they forgot what the ground looked like.” Sombra turned to Rainbow Dash once more, the fire in his eyes rising higher as he spoke. “After I killed destiny and conquered fate, I saw that the immutable truths written in the stars are nothing more than oppressive lies meant to keep the ponies deemed unworthy in their place. I took what I was told I could never have. I surpassed the mere trappings of what I was meant to be.”

“But...they’re alicorns.” Rainbow couldn’t get it out of her mind, it was like telling somepony that they could breathe water or that you didn’t need wings to fly. It was wrong on so many levels, some she couldn’t even come to grips with. “They controlled the sun and moon! They can’t die!”

“They were given control of the sun and the moon. Did you think that they did not move by themselves? Ponies interfered and used magic to make the world fit them, but once control was relinquished, the natural order was restored.” Sombra puffed out his chest as he spoke, looking up at his fallen foes with pride. “As for immortality: they couldn’t die of natural causes. No age or hunger or thirst would kill them, but wounds could and did. Their bodies do not rot, they have stayed the same since the day life left them. Truly remarkable in that sense, but mortal nonetheless.”

“They weren’t bad ponies!” Rainbow furrowed her brow and stamped her hoof on the floor. “I know they weren’t! They didn’t deserve to be killed!” Her blood was boiling, her eye was twitching and her wing flared out in frustration. “I don’t care if you thought they were coming to get you, talking things out is always an option! I bet you didn’t even let them do that!”

“Those two were not interested in discussion. If you do not believe me, do you want to hear about them from someone else who was there?”

Who else could have possibly known Celestia and Luna at the time that would still be alive?

Author's Note:

All the people tell me so
But what do all the people know?