• Published 16th Jul 2021
  • 8,761 Views, 2,844 Comments

Welcome to the jungle - Hiver



Page has some problems. Some are large with larger teeth. Some have sharp claws. Some have wings. Most are ponies. Sometimes being an alicorn is simply not worth the perks of the job, no matter how nice.

  • ...
20
 2,844
 8,761

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47

“You need to give them something, your highness,” Twilight said as she walked along with Darkfeathers and myself into the throneroom, “I have negotiated with Yeti, before and after their invasion. Without any kind of give from their opponents, they are not going to bend.”

Darkfeathers fluffed his feathers and looked thoughtful, “Perhaps…”

Twilight looked thoughtful, “Not sure it even needs to be anything big, if those creatures raiding your villages really are rebels, they want to stop them almost as much as you do. Maybe if we could go out there and talk to them…”

“I’m fairly sure our Guards would tackle both of us if we tried,” I commented, “Let’s not antagonize them if we can avoid it, their jobs are hard enough as is.”

Darkfeathers looked amused, “Over-protective guards?”

“Something like that,” I agreed with a small smile, “Well, if it keeps them happy. I doubt talking would work in this case anyway.”

Twilight frowned at me but didn’t protest. Not right now at least, I had no doubt she would have plenty to tell me about it later.

She was the Princess of Friendship, so she might even have a point.

But I didn’t want to go traipsing across the Griffon lands to get into mortal danger! I would be way too busy traipsing across the Griffon lands into mortal danger!

Speaking of which…

“Say, King Darkfeathers,” I said, “I wouldn’t mind seeing more of your country after the talks have finished, would it be possible to get permission to take our airship to tour the countryside?”

“But of course,” he said with a smile, “Would you require a guide?”

I shook my head, “That’s not necessary,” I said and shifted my wings before leaning a bit closer, lowering my voice, “Between you and me, I’d just want some time to relax with Sunset and Twilight away from everypony else… or at least as much as such a thing is possible.”

That’s what I wanted. That’s not what was going to happen as I would be involved in hive politics, but what I wanted was a couple of days enjoying the views with Sunset and Twilight.

I didn’t lie.

“Ahh,” he said with a grin, nodding, “More than understandable.”

Twilight blushed and poked me with her wing but didn’t say anything, looking away instead.

A door opened and a group of griffons walked inside, crossing towards us. I recognized the griff in the lead.

Razorwing, the would be ambassador to equestria with the shortest career in the history of diplomacy.

Oh great, what is it now?

He gave King Darkfeathers a quick bow before turning to me, wings rising as he fluffed his breathers, “Prince Page, I demand satisfaction! You ruined me!”

“Who are you?”

He blinked at me, “I’m Razorwing! Lord Razorwing!”

I frowned at him in slight bewilderment, “...I’m sorry, sir, but it does not ring a bell. Have we met?”

He looked angry enough to crack his beak, “I was in Canterlot at the welcoming reception for the new Griffon Ambassador.”

I raised my wings and nodded, “Ah, I see! Were ýou one of the staff?”

“I was the ambassador! I struck you!”

“...I’m sorry, I’m afraid I don’t remember you. Did I do something to hurt your feelings? I’m terribly sorry if that’s the case.”

He looked about ready to explode but then he took a deep breath, “Do you accept my challenge?” he finally ground out through a closed beak.

I frowned at him before I looked at Darkfeathers. He looked pissed but controlled.

“Can he do that?” I asked him.

“Unfortunately, yes,” Darkfeathers answered, his eyes not stopping their attempt to burn Razorwing alive, “As a noble of the court and the head of a prominent family, he has the right to issue dueling challenges if he feels his honor has been damaged.”

“Do I need to accept it?”

Darkfeathers shook his head, “No. But not doing so may cause… trouble,” he said and kept trying to burn the other griffon and his hangerons to ash with his eyes, “They represent a faction that does not see any use in our current arrangements with Equestria. An unfortunately somewhat powerful one.”

Razorwing met his glare for a second before escaping it to glare at me in turn, “Well? What do you say, Pony. Do you have any shred of honor? Or are you a cowardly grazer?”

I ignored him, “Do I have to answer now?”

The King shook his head, “According to tradition, you have two days to decide.”

I nodded and turned back to Razorwing and his followers, “I’ll let you know in two days then, Baserwing.”

“It’s Razorwing!”

“What did I say?”

He didn’t answer, he just turned around and stormed out, his followers… following.

I stared after him until the door slammed shut before I turned to Darkfeathers, “He’s not very bright, is he?”

“Not particularly,” the King sighed, “He lost a lot of influence after his failure as the ambassador to Equestria, but not all. He is the head of an old and powerful family. You do realise that according to our dueling codes, you will not be allowed to use your magic? As he is unable to.”

I nodded and met Twilight's eyes, “We have read them,” I said and sighed, “It was part of what we went through on the way here.”

Twilight didn't look happy, “Page, with no magic…”

“I still have earth pony strength,” I reassured her, “And thestral flight. I’d be fine. But it may not even come to that, perhaps we can come with an alternative.”

The King looked dubious.

PreviousChapters Next