• Published 28th Jun 2021
  • 386 Views, 4 Comments

Accessories of Evil - Notowa

  • ...
 4
 386

Part 3: Fire and Water

A bloodied scream was heard, it shook her in her sleep. Waking up to a cold sweat running down her stiffened neck. Opening her eyes to a darkened, freezing world she was accustomed to. From the time they first entered, there was a radiant light that shone above, but now covered once again. Why? She would ask herself. Why does it always follow? Never understanding the violent wave of clouds, the endless rainfall, and the light that ruptures the ground. It always follows, and it will not cease for a moment. Trapped inside a cycle of darkness, for years to come.


Apple Bloom awoke with a tightened back, having been laying on a crooked bed inside a small windowless closet. Opening the door, her eyes were again blinded by the open windows, out to see the same clouds that passed over yesterday.

Walking down the cold wooden steps toward the kitchen. She quietly made herself some cereal, not awake enough to make breakfast like she would.

Applejack walked in just moments after, and was wiping her eyes from her heavy sleep. Apple Bloom looked up at her, and saw her chug a glass of water. She smiled at her, knowing she was okay. She didn't respond, but kept her eyes on her.

Walking over to her, she ran her fingers through her red hair, like she would whenever she was near. She felt different about it, unlike with Rarity. Her cold, tough hands coursing through, unlike Rarity’s soft fingers with her sharpened nails dragging through. The thought of her trying, was at least, there, like it was before. Which made her think about her attitude yesterday, before she left unexpectedly.

"Sorry I didn't say anythin' last night." Apple Bloom said quietly. Applejack looked down at her, and thought of what Rarity would say.

"It's alright, sweetie." Applejack said. A somewhat cliched response. It was enough to make her smile, running her fingers through her hair. "What are you gonna be up to today?" Applejack rested herself on a kitchen chair, trying to ease her mind with Apple Bloom's answer.

"Oh..." Apple Bloom thought. "I'm not sure yet. I think I'll go see how Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are doin.'"

"Alright. Just make sure you two stay out of trouble." Applejack replied. "You an Babs stay together."

"I will. But, what about you?"

"I'll be fine, just doin' my usual routine today!" Applejack said, as she was thinking of ways to not give out any information.

"Okay." Apple Bloom responded, as she gave a slight smile. "Sorry to leave you with everythin.'"

"It's fine, you know I'm more than capable!" They both smiled at each other. Applejack walked out of the kitchen and into the living room.

She made her way up the stairs, as she saw Sunflower trying to block the sun out of her eyes. Even for the stormy weather, it was bright, and she did not want to get up just yet.


Awaiting in the room was her. She sat up on the right side of the bed. The bed sheet dragged down revealing her messy purple curls, streaming down her glowing and flawless back. It's been awhile since she got to see her feeling comfortable enough to sleep naked, and a silky cream sheet that she would wrap herself in.

The bedroom was quiet, as she slowly walked over to her.

"Rarity?" Applejack whispered. Her cold blue eyes turned toward her direction. She was not smiling, but was eager to see what she had to say. "I thought about what you said. I'm gonna take the truck downtown to pick up a few things, and see if there's any available places. Would you be okay with that?"

"Yeah. Okay. " Rarity replied. Her tone was quiet, possibly in thought of something.

Applejack crawled over to her, dragging the blankets down with her knees, making her way to her. She stood, and tried to ease her mind off things. Slowly caressing her soft, yet sharp shoulders. She could feel goosebumps arising, as she moved her hands down to her long and narrow neck. Her heartbeat could be felt when she tightened her hands around it, pulling her hands down to her sharp collarbone. She could feel her quickened breath, and start to quiver with excitement.

"Do you want to come with me?" Applejack asked, whispering in her ear. She gasped with wanting, but knew she couldn't.

Rarity turned toward her, looking up. Applejack saw in her eyes, and knew she couldn't answer.

"I-I can't." Rarity hesitated to answer. "I need to stay here."

"Alrighty." She responded, feeling rejected. She pushed her lips to her's, and smiled as she pulled away. "Miss you already."


Apple Bloom went out of the house, as Sunflower was still trying to sleep. They still aren't aware of Babs whereabouts. It might be time to fix that, she thought to herself. She was worried about her, maybe she could change her mind about the Crusaders. It had to start with Scootaloo, as she was the one who showed her their attitude toward Diamond and Silver. We might have scared her off.

She also thought of what Rarity meant with Sweetie Belle crying on her way to their house. Did they have a fight? Apple Bloom questioned. The heaviness in her worry was making her head feel swollen with anxiety, and could barely move fast enough to reach Scootaloo’s house.

The wind was pulling her away, almost making her lose her breath as it caught wind of her. She hid her face under her white sleeves, pushing through no matter what.

Just at the end of the street, the small house blocked the wind from breaching through.

She lightly knocked, but heard no one answer. She only heard a click at the lock, and figured it was open.

"Scootaloo?" Apple Bloom said, as the door slowly creaked open. She closed it behind her, but as it shut, there was an eerie emptiness, a frightened feeling set in her stomach as it was pitch black inside.

"Hey?" She continued, as she tried to get her eyes to adjust to the dark. Just as she did, taking a glance at the small sliver of light coming from a window. She went to open it. Scootaloo was sitting on the floor, looking away from her. She had her head down, and was completely silent.

"Apple Bloom..." Scootaloo whimpered, her voice sounded as if she was exhausted. Her words were broken up with a deep and monotone cough.

"Are you okay?" Apple Bloom said, as she knelt down to see her. She was too afraid to reach for her, as she didn't know what was going on.

"No..." Scootaloo cried.

"What happened?" Apple Bloom adjusted herself to kneel comfortably to hear her out.

"I can't take it back..." Scootaloo continued. She saw her wipe her face with her bare arm, and could see a small glistening moisture from her arm with the sun's light.

"What?"

"Not only did they come back just to piss us off... I ended up hurting her too..."

Apple Bloom realized what Rarity meant. Scootaloo's anger might have caused Sweetie Belle to be upset with her. Scootaloo was already in a terrible mood when Diamond showed up, even worse when Silver Spoon was with her and took over their clubhouse. Maybe they were right about them. Apple Bloom thought.

"What did they do to you guys?" Apple Bloom asked.

"They're trying to take everything away from us!" Scootaloo turned around, and slowly got up to Apple Bloom's face, showing her exhausted bloodshot eyes. The lids were red, and rashed with tears that kept leaking out. "Especially me!" Scootaloo tugged at Apple Bloom's shoulders, but dropped her head down. "What else do I have?! You know I've got nothing else..."

Apple Bloom felt her fingers claw her shoulders, the weight of her actions fell back on her. "I'm sorry... I didn't want any of this..." Apple Bloom said in a frightened tone.

"They haven't changed, and they've corrupted Babs too!"

"No... they couldn't..."

"Could they?! She was the main one influencing their behavior!" Scootaloo shouted in Apple Bloom's face.

"Babs... why?" Apple Bloom asked herself, she was not one to intentionally hurt anyone. Like the time at the parade, she didn't mean for things to go bad. She only argued with those who were trying to put her down. But, to cause this on others, it's not like her.

"She's only visiting, right? When is she leaving?" Scootaloo asked.

"I don't know? They brought a lot of things back to the barn." Apple Bloom stated.

"So, you're saying... she is not going to leave... it's not just a visit?"

"I don't know..."

Scootaloo got up, and paced away from her, trying to keep herself from letting her anger get the best of her.

"I'm not trying to say it's your fault, it's just..." Scootaloo admitted, but was not letting her forget it was her that started it. "Involving them? Especially when we haven't got to know Babs all that well. You involve them?!" Apple Bloom got up, and decided to fess up to her actions.

"I seriously thought Diamond had changed. But, if what you're saying is true, then... I'm sorry. I was wrong to include them..." Apple Bloom admitted, looking deep into Scootaloo’s violet eyes.

Scootaloo went to her, and hesitated to act on anything. She was angered, but they could have handled the situation better than what she had done. If she knew, maybe she could have tried to avoid it.

Scootaloo continued. "I'm sorry that I acted that way too. For all that I said..."

"It's okay." Apple Bloom looked back at her.

"What are we going to do about Sweetie Belle?" Scootaloo continued. "I doubt she would ever want to see me again..."

"What happened to her?" Apple Bloom restated. "You said. You hurt her. How?"

"I embarrassed her. She'll never want to be seen with me ever again... after all I've said to her... she won't want to come back..." Scootaloo pulled away.

"That's not true." Apple Bloom said. Scootaloo raced to her.

"You've been together, right?” As she tugged her shoulder. “Is there anything you can do to bring her back?"

"I don't know.” Apple Bloom said, as she handed off Scootaloo’s hand. “Because I believe she still resents me..."

"What?! No she doesn't?!" Scootaloo shouted, as she was stunned to hear Apple Bloom say such a thing.

"Oh, well... I guess it was just Applejack she doesn't like." Apple Bloom quietly said, enough for Scootaloo to hear.

"What? What does that have to do with anything?!"

"She's sad, Scootaloo. She only felt better when she was with you."

"Okay?" As Scootaloo was confused.

"You were there to help her in her time of need. And if you said somethin' to upset her, then..."

"What?" Scootaloo questioned. Apple Bloom hesitated to say anything more, but it made Scootaloo furious.

"She didn't want me to tell you this, but... she likes you. She enjoys being with you. Just you."

Scootaloo was silent. She didn't know how to react. Everything about her appearance in her household made more sense to her now. All the time she spent with her, the things Sweetie Belle wanted to change for her comfort, but also because she genuinely cared. "She's not my girlfriend!!!" An echoed scream in her head, as she covered her mouth with shame.

"Even when I was livin' with her, there were times where we didn't talk or hang out. I figured that I shouldn't come between you two..." Apple Bloom continued.

"But why? We're best friends." Scootaloo yelled. "Why didn't you tell me, or ever mention what you were going through?"

Apple Bloom took a seat at the couch, thinking of what to say to her. Scootaloo sat by her, and waited for her to answer. She looked toward the ground, as she was a little impatient.

"Well?" Scootaloo complained, as she crossed her arms.

"We both shared some things that we didn't want to share with you." Apple Bloom answered. Scootaloo let her arms go, and stared down in shock. "I told her not to tell you about what happened with her and Applejack, in return, I agreed not to tell you about her feelin's." Scootaloo leaned down, and thought of how much she wasn't included. "Livin' together kind of made things difficult between us, but that's when we both realized that even livin' together, we could still have somethin' goin' on that didn't involve each other. We would then start to talk about things, it's what kept our relationship together as good friends. It was enough to keep our distance, but always be there when we needed it. Whenever it came to you two, I thought she wouldn't like me if I always there. But, I guess... it was just Applejack."

"She didn’t tell me about Applejack." Scootaloo remembered. "Why?"

"She doesn't like her. Not for the fact that she's datin' Rarity, but she just moved in without lettin' her know. And I guess... whenever they did things, it made it a very uncomfortable place for her to be around."

"Oh..."

"That's why she enjoyed it here. The times she wouldn't include me, that's when I would occasionally go out and do somethin' on my own."

"Is that when you and Diamond became a thing?" Scootaloo questioned.

"Yeah. But, I also kept that a secret until we were ready to include her." Apple Bloom answered.

"Why did you decide to introduce her with Babs though?" Scootaloo continued.

"It was a stupid decision, alright?!" Apple Bloom yelled. "I didn't think things through... and now it's all my fault..." Scootaloo was silenced.

"But, I don't know why you guys were secretive about everything?" Scootaloo questioned. "I could have done something to help. It's not like anyone else asked."

"Well, we just... didn't know how you would react, and we wanted nothin' to change between us." Apple Bloom admitted. "If you knew... we probably wouldn't want to be around each other as much anymore."

"No, I would never think that." Scootaloo assured. "I don't want to lose anyone else."

They both hugged each other. It's been a long time since they felt this close. It was so tight they could barely breathe.

"Maybe... we shouldn't have kept secrets... if this is what it leads to..." Apple Bloom admitted.

"It's okay... I forgive you... you both... just don't leave me... please..." Scootaloo cried. Letting out her last remaining tears.

"I won't..." Apple Bloom huffed. “We won’t, okay.”

They let each other go. They took a second to think, as they unlatched their arms. Apple Bloom felt their relationship strengthen, and it made her stand up from the couch with a plan in mind.

"I think you should find a way to get Sweetie Belle back, while I take care of Babs." Apple Bloom, determined to find a solution to their dilema.

"Wait?! What?!" Scootaloo shrieked. She got up from the couch, unsure of what came of Apple Bloom. "What if she hurts you too?!"

"I've got to try, Scootaloo." Apple Bloom turned to face her, and the look in Scootaloo's eyes, as she was skeptical on her intent to go alone. "I just want to bring her back home. Regardless if Diamond will come with... even if she doesn't care about me anymore... I just want Babs back." Scootaloo saw that she was driven to go out her way for family. "We could talk through this, we'll figure somethin' out together! Just give me a chance."

Scootaloo thought about it, she remembered Sweetie Belle saying the exact same thing when it came to them. She just had to trust her.

"Okay... fine." Scootaloo said quietly.

"Thank you." Apple Bloom said.

"Come back here. Whether you bring Babs back or not. I just... at least, want us together again."

"Okay."


Rarity sat down at the kitchen table. Sitting silently, as she drank a hot cup of tea, while seeing the truck drive out of the barn and down the street. Thinking of what to do, still thinking of Sunflower's gesture toward her appearance. Maybe she was a little too kind, making her think she was available to do things while Applejack was gone. It was an uncomfortable feeling that hit her stomach.
Just as she was in thought, Sunflower walked in through the door.

"Mornin'." Sunflower said softly.

"Morning." Rarity said, as she refrained from an endearing compliment.

"Is Applejack and Apple Bloom out?" Sunflower asked, almost making Rarity shiver with the cold and gray dreariness from outside.

"Yeah, Applejack has some errands to run, and Apple Bloom took Babs to be with her friends."

Rarity answered, as she sipped her tea slowly. Her breathing shook with something fearful.

"Oh." Sunflower said. She was looking through cupboards to find anything to partake in. "Are things okay between you two?"

Rarity thought of the question. It was odd. Almost as if she answered a certain way, might make her seem like there was trouble.

"Yeah." Rarity said, as she couldn't find the words to say. "She'll be back, just making sure we have stuff available for you guys."

"Oh, okay." Sunflower kept her responses short. Rarity inhaled, and had to take a leap of faith to continue her generous outlook for their guests.

"Would you like some breakfast?" Rarity asked, with a passive smile.

"Sure, I would love some." Sunflower smiled back, as she grabbed a cup from the cupboard and poured some of the tea that was left in the pot from the stove.

There was an uncomfortable silence that lasted for fifteen minutes. Sunflower was sitting at the kitchen table, which Rarity was afraid that she was watching her every move. She took a slight peek just to see, but she was once again passed out. How can she be this tired? Rarity thought. She might have been up all night, which meant that she stood up hearing everything. As terrible as she felt about it, she thought about possibly making it clear to Sunflower that she's Applejack's.

She brought down a plate of eggs, sausage, and potatoes toward Sunflower. Rarity sat next to her, continuing to sip on her tea that was still warm enough to soothe her stress.

"Sunflower?" Rarity asked in a quiet and comforting tone. Sunflower slowly opened up her eyes. Rarity was sitting there, as she saw the plate of food in front of her. She was eager to eat, but was still tired.

"Thank you, Rarity." Sunflower yawned.

"You're welcome." Rarity responded. "Tired?"

"A little bit, it's been hard to sleep lately." Sunflower mentioned, as she began to pick her food.

"Why do you sleep on the couch?" Rarity asked quietly. "We have other rooms you can be in?"

"Force of habit." Sunflower said.

"Habit?" Rarity replied. "Like, you never slept on a bed before?"

"After movin' from place to place, it was only a matter of time before we had to move again."
Sunflower said. "Even if we didn't have enough room."

"That's awful." Rarity mentioned.

"Yeah, we never had time to get comfortable." Sunflower said, but noticed Rarity doesn't have her own plate of food. "Rarity, you're not eating?"

"Oh, no." Rarity said, as she looked up at her. "I'm not really hungry."

Sunflower scooted the plate a little closer toward her.

"Want to share some with me?" Sunflower said.

"No, it's okay." Rarity continued.

"C'mon, don't make me feel bad." Sunflower responded. "If I'm the only one eatin'."

"Please. You're fine." Rarity said. "I had a hard time eating breakfast yesterday."

"Oh, are you sick?" Sunflower mentioned.

"Just a bit." Rarity said. "Eggs have been... difficult to eat sometimes."

"I see." Sunflower said. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm okay." Rarity said. "But, you're more than welcome to sleep in the other rooms. We have plenty of space."

"I don't know how long we plan on being here though." Sunflower mentioned. "If it's already not too much trouble." Rarity was silenced, but had to remain in character.

"No, it's alright." Rarity said in a comforting tone.

"Alrighty." Sunflower said, as Rarity would remember Applejack always saying that phrase. She watched Sunflower continue, she was slower as she didn't feel comfortable eating. "Uh, is there any more tea?"

"I could make some more." Rarity said, as she got up to restart a new batch. Looking back, she saw that scar on Sunflower's back. It wasn't noticeable before, but now it was difficult to ignore. "Sunflower?"

"Yeah?" Sunflower replied, as she turned around to see her. "What's up?"

"Uh, it might be a bit awkward to ask, but... what's that scar on your back?" Rarity asked.

"What?" Sunflower said, as her tone changed.

"I-I've noticed a large scar, on your back, at the workshop and..."

"Are you kiddin' me?!" Sunflower shot up from her chair. "You looked back?! After we've said we would turn the other way?!"

"Well, I figured... you did as well?" Rarity mentioned, feeling frightened.

"You think I would do that to you?!" Sunflower yelled. "Unbelievable!!!" Sunflower took off to the door, and left her food on the table. Rarity was silent, and regretted ever mentioning the scar. The door slammed, as she jumped.


There she was at the old shack. Apple Bloom stood at the front lawn, where they all first met. She was determined to find a solution. She only thought of confronting them. Hopefully this works, Apple Bloom thought.

She walked up to the door, and raised her arm to knock. The paint was starting to crumble off, just as the color began to wash away. Sun bleached, and beaten. The eroded dust and heavy wind would weaken it, but it stood like no other.

The door slowly opened. There was darkness that enveloped inside. In the light, she arose. Babs looked as if she was barely awakened.

"Babs..." Apple Bloom spoke.

"What do you want?" Babs said, under her exhausted breath as she tried to speak.

"I..." Apple Bloom thought of what to say. "Can you come back to the barn?"

"Why?" Babs argued.

"I'm sorry for what happened. I didn't mean to hurt anyone, nor cause us to fall apart like that." Apple Bloom continued. "But, I'm just askin' if you'll forgive us and come back to the barn so we can talk about it."

Babs narrowed her eyes, she thought of it. As soon as she was about to respond, Diamond and Silver Spoon showed up not long after. Babs turned her head, and was already seeing the change.

Apple Bloom glanced, and was surprised to see them there this early. From the looks of it, they changed. They wore a thick dark necklace that each of them wore that she didn't notice before. It seems they have all grown close since the last time they saw each other.

"No." Babs said blatantly, as she turned her head back toward her direction.

"What?" Apple Bloom was stunned to see Babs not wanting to reconsider. "Why?"

"I've got my reasons." Babs said, as she smirked. "I'm havin' way too much fun with them than with you."

"But, Babs..." Apple Bloom whined. She thought if she was honest with her, it would give her a chance. "Please, I just want you home."

"Home? What home?" Babs questioned. "This isn't home. It's just somewhere I'm forced to be. But, here. This is it."

"Babs?"

"You said it yourself!" Babs yelled. "Need a place to be, this is it. Right?"

Apple Bloom was shivering, as it was something she said.

"Besides, I'm sick of dealin' with my older sister. Hearin' her bitch and moan about our parents! Then, takin' it out on me! Screw that!"

"Babs!" Apple Bloom cried. "I just want you there, anythin' you're goin' through. I would be there to listen... I know it's been hard for you..."

"What's wrong showin' up here?" Babs questioned, as Apple Bloom remained silent looking downwards. "Oh, it's YOUR friends, huh? They don't want any part of us, right? It's just you." Apple Bloom couldn't say anything. "Well, look, I'm not leavin' and I'm not givin' it back. You guys can find another place to be. This is ours!"

"Yeah!" Diamond and Silver cheered from behind.

Apple Bloom couldn't grasp her emotions. It was clear to her that their friendship or even family meant nothing to her. She turned around, and stood for another second to let the wind brush her hair.

"Fine." She turned back.

She walked away from the clubhouse, heading out toward the storm, without any care of the wind or rain.

Babs and the others saw her walk out on them, and thought of it as an opportunity.


Apple Bloom looked down at the flooded cement, seeing her reflection in it, not entirely happy with the outcome. If Diamond and Silver weren't there, maybe Babs would have changed her mind.

She was on her way back to Scootaloo's house. They would all at least be together, but if they continue to fight, there's no way they would.

Ever since they graduated, it's like their friendship had changed. They no longer worked as a team. They used to overlook their flaws, shortcomings, and broken promises. Now it annoys them the most about each other, and they can't find any reason to stay together. Yet, want it desperately. It was the same way she saw how Rarity and Applejack started to treat each other. She was the only one to hold them together, but felt worthless. It started to become too much for her. After departing, it became a cold and bitter isolation. She thought either Diamond Tiara or Babs could have helped regain what was lost. Maybe Babs was right about true love after all. Apple Bloom thought.

Just at the midway point, passing over a street and down to either two paths to take. She heard footsteps approaching her. She looked back, and saw Babs with Diamond and Silver. They were on their way toward her. If they knew where Scootaloo lived, they might try to bother her.

Apple Bloom detoured to the left, leading her down a different path which took her to a familiar park. She turned to see if they were just walking about, but they turned toward her direction.

They were being quiet, like they wanted to sneak up on her. She turned again, going down a slope and onto the walkway to the moist sands leading up to a large acre of grass where the tents were settled before.

The group went, as Apple Bloom tried to briskly walk her way up the small hill. The path branched off that either led to the open area, or toward the trees where they crashed the float. Remnants of it were still noticeable. She took the open area, hopefully people were out today to help her feel not so alone in the park.

They tarried along, and Apple Bloom was certain they were following her.

She continued to walk quicker to reach the exit and back home, but they were approaching rapidly. Apple Bloom felt tired, and stopped. Just as she did, they came standing right behind her. She took a moment to breathe.

"What do you want Babs?" Apple Bloom said under her breath, still panting.

"I thought you wanted me to come with you?" Babs smirked, just as the other two circled her.

"I said come back to the barn." Apple Bloom mentioned.

"Is that where you were headin'?" Babs questioned. Apple Bloom looked away. Babs smirked, as she knew Apple Bloom wasn't heading back to the barn.

"Or, were you wantin' me to see Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?" Babs continued. Diamond and Silver remained silent, but were intrigued by Apple Bloom's reaction. "I told you before, I want no part in being with the Crusaders."

"Yeah, she's with us!" Silver mentioned. Diamond nodded.

"If you really wanted me back, then how about you join us instead?" Babs said, Apple Bloom was distraught. "But, it's them, right?" She couldn't answer, so she asked a question.

"Why did you hurt them?" Apple Bloom said.

"I tried hangin' out with them like you wanted, it's them that have the problem with us!" Babs argued.

"I don't believe you!" Apple Bloom said.

"I've got two witnesses." Babs said, as she held out her arms to the other two as they smiled. "I'm tellin' the truth!"

"Yeah!" They both said.

"Even then, they couldn't handle being around us." Babs continued. "After all the bullyin' they've done to Diamond and Silver, they deserve what's comin' to them!"

"It's not right!"

"It's what's fair! And if you want it to change, then leave them! If they really care about you, then they would have no problem comin' to us!"

"They would!"

"Prove it! Would they go out of their way for me, or them?" Babs paused for her reaction. "No.” As she shook her head in confidence. “They don't care about us. They didn't come to me, and they didn't come with you. They just sent you, because it's your fault, right?"

"I went by myself because it was my fault for not considerin' their feelin's about it." Apple Bloom argued.

"Is that what you think? It didn't it occur to you that you're not the one with the problem with either of us?" Babs argued. Apple Bloom was silenced. "See. I can see right through their little game! They made you think it was your fault, when all you wanted was for us to come together. Even if they were uncomfortable about it, they would have at least shown a little restraint and withheld their insecurities, and treated everyone with the same respect you've given us. But, no. They're the problem. They have treated you poorly. I was just honest with them, and they couldn't even handle it. Right girls?"

"Right!" They spoke.

"Why make them feel uncomfortable then? Why make them angry?"

"Same way they treated Diamond and Silver. They didn't do no wrong here, maybe back then, but you said they've changed, right?" Apple Bloom kept feeling twisted by her words. "You can't just enable behavior like that without even knowin' who they are today!"

She couldn't fathom how messed up the situation turned out to be. It was much bigger than she thought it was.

"So how about it? Truce? And join us." Diamond Tiara suggested. "Or, stick with them and continue to walk on eggshells for their comfort?" Apple Bloom paused, she looked around the empty lot, but couldn't think of another way out of the situation she dragged herself into. She took a deep breath, and was willing but asked them something.

"If I do join, will you consider lettin' them in too?" Apple Bloom asked quietly.

"I can't decide that." Babs smirked.

"But..."

"That's their choice!" Babs argued. "Like I said, they don't actually care! You will have to move on, even though they may have been your friends for a long time. They could have been the ones that changed, and started to use you instead."

"I don't want to think that way." Apple Bloom continued.

"The signs of manipulation are clear, Apple Bloom." Babs stated, as Apple Bloom became even more unsure of herself. "I'm aware that you are naive and innocent, even too caring at times, but they need to come to me if that's what they want. You don't have to do that for them!" Babs continued. "So, how 'bout it?" Apple Bloom remained silent.

"I don't know what to do." Apple Bloom quietly concluded.


She took a moment to think of what to say to her. It wasn't her intent to make her so upset, but she was honest with her at the very least.

Leaving the barely touched food on the kitchen table, and walked down to the side door off to the left. She saw through a white-knitted sheet as she was standing and watching the pigs resting on their full stomachs.

Rarity quietly opened the door, down the muddied walkway to the side opening of the barn. She paced herself, not to alert her, nor to awake any of the livestock. She stood at a reasonable distance. She kept looking at the noticeable scar on her back underneath her tank top and bra straps. She kept quiet, hearing her breathe, and she was heavily sniffling through her nostrils. It was a mistake, and the topic made her feel uncomfortable. Unsure of what to say, nor ease the tension between them.

"Look, I'm sorry about the kiss." Sunflower admitted. She was leaning over the wooden barrier, hunched over enough to fall in, but kept her arms in support of her body. She didn't look up, but kept her eyes over the barnyard.

Rarity was unsure of how to respond.

"It's just..." Sunflower gulped with something holding back her emotions. "You're the first person that made me feel... special... you know how long it's been since I felt loved... treated like a human being for once..." Her words broke up, as tears fell, even Rarity couldn't hold back her regret. "I... couldn't... control myself... I'm sorry..."

Rarity remained silent, as she went over to her. She gently placed her hand over her shoulder.

Sunflower took her in again. She let herself go, arms wrapped tightly as she cried. A hug that she held back before, but now felt her full weight as they sat down together on a haystack beneath them.

There was silence for a moment, it took awhile for her to gather her thoughts on what to say.

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me anything." Rarity assured her. "I won't ask you either."

"No." Sunflower looked up at her. "I should let you know why? It's better to have at least someone know the truth." Rarity looked into her glossy eyes, and listened in.


It was a hot summer afternoon. The air was dry, and not much rain had fallen to water the crops that year. The people were in need, and were exhausted under the intense heat. Not much was going on, but to mess around within the remaining shadows of a broken town.

Sunflower and Babs were out hanging around a small group of people who were just as bored as they were. They handed them a smoke, as they all took one last hit of a charred stick.

They hung around a small alleyway, standing on the escape rails of an old hotel.

“Hey guys!” A person from below spoke, sounded excited for something.

“What’s up, Squeaks?” A boy asked, hanging over the rails to drop down to the broken bricks.

“My brother just bought a tattoo kit, and wanted to know if you guys would like to give it a try?” Squeaks asked.

“No way, so he’s serious about it.” He stated, as he was smiling.

“Yeah, we’ll have to do it while our parents are out though.” Squeaks said.

“Of course, his parents would kick his ass if they knew.” He agreed. “Sounds cool! What do you guys think?”

“I don’t know Leafy, it sounds a bit risky.” Sunflower mentioned, sitting down and hugging the safety guards while slowly kicking her feet off the edge.

“C’mon, we haven’t gotten anything better to do.” Leafy pleaded. “Besides, Squeak's brother is a great artist! I’m sure he’ll do something you’ll like!”

“I’ll do it!” Another girl from their group spoke.

“Me too!” A guy from the far end spoke.

“What do you say?” Leafy asked. “Sunflower? Babs? We could get something to match.”

“That would be cool! A group mark like in the movies!” The girl spoke.

“Yeah!” They all said.

They arrived at a rundown shack, a few blocks from where they were. They all circled around their friend who was having the ink flow through into their skin. Each of them wanted an icon etched into them. It was something about what they find the most joyful.

Leafy had a picture of an odd shaped leaf, as he felt he had a connection with plants. Squeaks had a rubber duck, he loved squeaky toys and was somehow able to mimic the exact pitch. The girl got a jar of ink and a quill as she loved writing. The boy who hung by her side had a candlestick and a flame circulating around it. He didn’t have an explanation, but it was an interesting one.

“C’mon Sunflower!” Leafy asked.

“It’s kind of getting late, my dad might be home soon.” Sunflower said.

Everyone around her was chanting to do it. Even the older brother was becoming impatient, as he felt time was of the essence as well.

“Sunflower, you’re not actually serious?” Babs asked her, as she went up to the seat. She had pulled down her shirt to reveal her shoulder. The others were excited to see what kind of mark she would want.

“What are you getting?” Squeaks asked.

“A sunflower.” Sunflower said. “I know it sounds a bit conceited, but I like them.”

Later that evening, Babs and Sunflower were briskly walking home.

“Thanks a lot!” Sunflower yelled, as she was still trying to take her mind off of the unbearable burn she wanted to scratch.

“What?!” Babs yelled back, turned around to face her as she kept walking.

“Just when I finally have friends to hang out with, you embarrass me!”

“Embarrass you?! At least I’m not trying to be somethin’ I’m not!”

“Oh please! Like you never wanted anythin’ more than to just fit in!”

“I’m not going to get a tattoo just to feel included!”

“Whatever!”

“I hope that hurts!”

“Shut up!”

As they approached the door, Sunflower made another remark on Babs. Threatening her if she told their parents anything then she would make sure people knew of her fetish. Babs knew if it were to be mentioned, students at their school would be disgusted, even being bullied for it.

They walked in, and saw their mother in the kitchen. She was trying to cook whatever’s left in the kitchen that day. A sunken face, a hopeless expression, nimble arms and fingers barely having enough strength to peel a few poor vegetables that made their way to a dirtied pot to boil. A few bruises were seen on her shoulders and arms, still unable to recover from weeks before.

She was quiet, and just looked up at her kids. They too didn’t say anything and both walked into their rooms.

It would be hours until their father arrived. Most of the time they would sit together quietly in the kitchen. Babs would occasionally speak to their mother, in which she just sat silently. Sunflower didn’t speak up much because she, in a way, understood.

A once hard-working man in a thriving farm, now reduced to a pitiful shack on the outskirts of a restless and expanding city. He worked the small farm fields that couldn’t grow properly, so he had to take up extra hours just enough to get his drinks and fuel for the week.

That next morning, they woke up to their mom screaming. Sunflower saw their mother trying to clean the clothes, but he told her to iron his shirts instead of washing them. He was drunk off of cider, and plugged in the iron to heat up. She tried to walk away, but Babs walked in to say something. She stood there silently, frozen stiff.

The father came in and told her to leave. She was stunned, and he came to her to slap her across the face, as she hit the floor. Sunflower ran to her father to stop him. He slammed his bottle into her. She fell in with the broken glass on the floor. Just when he was about to leave with another bottle in his hand, he saw the tattoo on Sunflower’s back. He yelled on top of his lungs and asked what that was. Babs remained silent. The mother kept crying in the background.

He walked over the heated iron.

“So you like pain, huh?!” He yelled. He walked over to her and placed the iron on her back, over the shoulder. Sunflower screamed. It was so violently high pitched that Babs’s heart stopped. He took it away and the tattoo was nearly covered with her burnt skin. He took off without another word, as Sunflower tried to walk back into her room. Babs cried.

Later that day, Babs walked into the room to help treat her. She kept quiet, and slept the entire day.

Babs would tell Sunflower that the scream she made always kept her up at night. It was not long after when they talked about it and she regretted not doing anything to help. She would tell her that she would try to be stronger, but she couldn’t. He angered her the most, but she would never be able to stand up to him.


Rarity was deeply horrified by the whole story she was told. Sunflower sniffled, but finally felt relieved to tell someone about her life.

"I'm so sorry." Rarity cried.

"It's my own fault." Sunflower admitted.

"There's still no reason for that..." Rarity said.

"It's in the past now, and it's a reminder of what happens when I let myself go."

"Sunflower?"

"I wanted to be somethin' I'm not because of how I felt. But all I want now is to have that life I had back when... and comin' here, was my last chance to have it again."

"Sunflower." Rarity said, as she placed her hand on her shoulder again, but it slid down to her scar. Sunflower flinched as did Rarity, but she continued.

"I never trusted anyone, but I knew Granny would be the only one to understand."

"Yeah."

"I’m even happier that you are here as well."

"Really?"

"I am. I feel like I can share anythin’ with you."

Rarity gave a weak smile, but felt the situation change again. It confused her. A person this torn inside is bound to make terrible choices. Rarity thought.


"Well, Apple Bloom?" Babs asked, she chuckled as the other two smiled in confidence.

"I don't know... it's not right." Apple Bloom questioned. "I can't just abandon them."

"Quit being so overly dramatic!" Babs yelled. "Like I said, if they actually cared about you, they will come. If they don't, they are just using you." Babs kept reminding her. "You aren't in control of their lives. You aren't responsible for their comfort."

Apple Bloom shook her head, and couldn't understand why she resisted. The things she knew before, what friendships meant to her, why they are important.

"But, friends are supposed to look out for each other." Apple Bloom looked at all of them, as they stood in front of her. "The time we've spent together, knowin' what we like and don't like... isn't that what friendship is all about." Babs rolled her eyes as Apple Bloom continued. "Even when we hurt each other, it's not on purpose. I don't think they ever wanted to hurt me. Even when I didn't notice it, they still came around and they tried to understand."

Babs wasn't having it, and she resisted the same.

"What good is it to try?" Babs argued. "Everyone is out for themselves. They don't have your best interest in mind."

"No." Apple Bloom continued. "We've all just been going through a rough time. Focusin' on our own, not payin' attention, or lettin' each other know what's been goin' on. Sometimes we forget, but maybe we should try again."

Babs and the other girl's smirks went away, as Babs continued to fire back.

"You're so gullible and stupid, Apple Bloom!" Babs yelled. "Tryin' so hard to see the good in others that isn't there, no one actually cares!"

"Because we don't try." Apple Bloom stated. "Even if there isn't, tryin' will only help make sure of it."

"Forcin' everyone to abide by your kindness and gullibility won't change who they are!" Babs said.

"I'm not askin' for them to change. I'm askin' them to give me a chance. I'm askin' you all to give everyone a chance. To forgive, to move on, and maybe even to return what’s lost.” Apple Bloom continued.

"Said by the third wheel!" Silver Spoon yelled.

"What?" Apple Bloom questioned. Babs nodded and smiled, as she looked out to Silver Spoon.

"Yeah, we saw them out. They left you completely out of the picture." Babs said. "Trust me, they only thought about themselves and not you." Apple Bloom was taken aback by their statement, but she had to be honest with herself.

"Even if that's true." Apple Bloom said. "I honestly haven't been there either."

"Whatever!" Diamond Tiara yelled. "It doesn't matter if they only care about themselves."

"I will still love and care about them." Apple Bloom argued. "I will be happy that they are too. I'm glad they're together, even if it's without me."

The others felt unsure of what to say, but Babs continued to only think about her own experiences with others.

"This is why people will take advantage of you!" Babs argued. "Do you not see why it is pointless to worry? Why worry about anyone if there's nothin' in it for you?"

Apple Bloom felt her anger, and it made her teary-eyed. The cold breeze rushed through her skin, and her words felt harder to swallow than she was used to.

"I just..." Apple Bloom's words broke up in her throat, she had to find in herself of what she needed to say. "I just want everyone to be happy. Includin' you. Includin' you all..."

Babs didn't want to hear it.

"You don't know what I want!" Babs yelled, as the others nodded.

"Which is why I want to help." Apple Bloom continued. "Anythin' you're goin' through, anythin' at all... I want to be there too."

Babs resisted, but she didn’t have anything else to say. In her mind, something kept reminding her of things, but it also plagued her with doubt. Babs chuckled with discontent.

"Like you would ever help me, like you would ever understand..." Babs assured, as she looked up at Apple Bloom's watery eyes, sugary red blushing cheeks in the cold.

"Why?" Apple Bloom questioned. "Even if I can't, I may know who can help. Diamond? Did we not help each other too?”

“To be honest. I miss being the troublemaker. I like the thrill, the excitement! You are just too boring to me. It’s too predictable.” Diamond spoke.

“As for me, I don’t want to change!” Silver said.

“But…” Apple Bloom said, as her tone swallowed with a dryness.

“It is what it is, Apple Bloom. Accept it!” Babs spoke. “You can believe in whatever you want, but don’t be disappointed if nothing ever works out.”

Apple Bloom remained silent, a teardrop fell. She wiped it down with her sleeve, and looked at the sleeve. The beautiful white jacket that Diamond bought for her. Was it all for nothing? Apple Bloom thought.

"Babs?" Silver Spoon asked, as she smiled. Babs listened in. "Remind Apple Bloom of how she will be used, you know exactly what it's like, show her why." Babs could feel a flame start to kindle in her body, like it drew her to go deeper. Her past that continues to haunt her mind. Why does she continue to resist? She thought, as Apple Bloom continued to stare at them. I'll show her.

"Apple Bloom, you haven't even seen anythin' yet!" Babs assured, Apple Bloom looked into her glowing green eyes. All that surrounded was the freezing winds, and the swirling clouds. A heavy blanket over the arising sun. "The whole world is a very dangerous place. You are here, in your little bubble, full of familiar faces and livin’ in the same old story. Lettin' anyone in, especially out there, you risk your own safety, and your chance of succeedin' in a world that will continue to drag you down. Why would you ever let anyone in?"

Apple Bloom was confused. Why is she being like this? She thought to herself.

"What do you mean, Babs?" Apple Bloom asked. Babs chuckled.

"You want to know?" Babs questioned. "You really want to know?" Babs continued to give a smirk that continued to make an uneasy feeling in Apple Bloom’s gut. "I too, thought the same thing, but for whatever reason, it only made things worse! You don't know what it's like to be beaten, to be treated like trash by those you once trusted, by those you once loved and cared about!" Apple Bloom started to see tears trickle down Babs's eyes. Apple Bloom felt it inside of her, a pain she had never felt before.

"N-not everyone is like that, Babs..." Apple Bloom pleaded.

"Oh, it doesn't matter! If you give anyone and everyone that one chance... they will use you, because you don't matter to them at all!" Babs interrupted.

"No..." Apple Bloom continued, as she tried to close her ears to not hear.

"Think they care?! They will keep at it! They won't stop until you break! Until you stop caring about them and even yourself!" Babs yelled, as she threw off her red leather jacket, and all her chains and rings that surrounded her wrists and fingers from before. She wore the same white t-shirt, but the sleeves were torn off, and both of her arms were sculpted with scars and traces of lines down to her wrists. There were various circular patches of molded skin, as if she was burned multiple times with a heated cigarette.

Apple Bloom and the other girls were deeply shocked to their core. Babs was breathing heavily, but felt relieved to finally show them who she was, as she took in a deep breath and sucked in the chilling air.

Tears fell from Apple Bloom’s eyes. She covered her mouth, and couldn’t stop looking at her.

“Babs…” Apple Bloom softly spoke.

Babs walked out to her, and got close to Apple Bloom as she remained rooted to her position.

“You see what I am?” Babs spoke, standing toward her, and her face into her’s. “I’m never going to let anyone hurt me anymore!”

“I’m sorry Babs.” Apple Bloom cried.

“This is how it is.” Babs continued. Apple Bloom shook her head, and looked down to her soaked boots. “No? Have I not been honest?”

“Yeah!” Diamond and Silver yelled. Apple Bloom was already becoming angered by Diamond and Silver, as Babs looked back at them. She thought of something to make Apple Bloom even more upset.

“By the way, Apple Bloom?” Babs asked. “Diamond is mine now.”

“Stop.” As Apple Bloom changed in tone.

“Because she loves the thrill! I can give her what she wants, somethin’ you can’t!” Babs continued.

“Darn it, Babs! I said stop!” Apple Bloom cried. A feeling of anger began to set inside of her.

Babs turned away and began to laugh at her, the other two joined with her. Apple Bloom’s heart began to pound in her ears.

“You…” Apple Bloom softly said. “You’re just a bunch of uttersuckers!”

The girls laughed hard at Apple Bloom’s comeback.

“How old are you again?” Babs mocked as she burst with laughter.

Apple Bloom ran up to Babs, and slammed her fist into her left cheek. Babs tumbled down into the wet grass and landed on her rump. The other two stopped laughing and immediately took a couple of steps back, as they saw Apple Bloom hold her hand in the other. She felt her hand blister with pain. She moaned with it pulsing in her, as she completely regretted it.

Babs looked up at her, and was once again in that state where she was too afraid to move. S-she struck me…, Babs thought.

Silver on her left told her to get up and fight back, while Diamond looked at her with disappointment. Babs slowly got back up on her feet. Her eyes glowed within the blinding and endless droplets of water. She slowly walked toward them.

“B-Babs… w-wait…” Apple Bloom pleaded, as she was terrified and took a few steps back. “I’m sorry…” She came closer and quicker. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Apple Bloom ran, but was caught by Babs.

She tackled her to the ground. Apple Bloom immediately tried to get back up, but was pulled closer to her. She jumped onto her, as she tried to resist. She kicked and screamed. Babs found her blindspot and swung at her. Apple Bloom pushed her off, and ran for it. Babs came in, and pushed her into a nearby tree. She circled around trying to get away, but caught her and shoved her down and kicked her deeper into the puddles.

Babs kept getting angrier the more she struggled. She was blindly succumbing to her pain and misery and taking it all out on Apple Bloom.

Diamond and Silver stood in the same spot, being sunken to the mud, and watching Babs beat her. Horrified, until Silver began to chuckle with amusement. Diamond couldn’t help herself, as she teared up, but also couldn’t stop smiling. She stopped and walked over to her.

“Babs!” Diamond yelled. Babs didn’t stop. She held her fists before she landed another, and kissed her. Babs turned away, as she felt her attention was turned. She looked down at her bruised fist, and some of Apple Bloom’s blood from her blistered lip. She stopped, and slowly stood up.

They both walked away toward Silver. Silver felt it was the perfect time to snap another photo. Apple Bloom saw a small flash in the air. She looked up, and could barely see them. She saw only a shadow, and it came closer to her again.

“No… no, no, please I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Apple Bloom pleaded, as she lightly crawled away. The shadow came up to her, and told her something in her deafened ear.

“Don’t go to your friends, and don’t ever come back again. Or else.” The shadow said, and it left her.

Apple Bloom frightened, she stopped feeling for a second, and took off in the other direction.