• Published 11th Jun 2021
  • 455 Views, 35 Comments

Tinker, Tailor, Pony, Spy - Blade Star



Now reformed, Tempest Shadow must rebuild her life. In doing so, she meets a very unusual tailor, who is much more than meets the eye.

  • ...
2
 35
 455

Chapter 3

The pair walked back to Elusive’s small shop in a relatively companionable silence. Well, companionable for Elusive at least. Tempest was more pensive due to her many questions about this somewhat peculiar pony. She’d spent the last five minutes trying to work out how he got the drop on her. There was no alleyway he could have popped out of. He would have had to have literally walked around behind her. More to the point, how had he made her? True, anypony might have noticed her had they glanced at the reflection in the shop windows. But what sort of pony would even think to look there? And then, why was he so calm approaching her? After all, he said he knew her. If you discovered a pony who was not so long ago an enemy of the state was following you through town without your knowledge, wouldn’t you either run in fright or look to tear their head off? She just couldn’t get a read on him.

Even now as they walked, Elusive was seemingly smiling to himself, walking alongside the much taller Tempest, and getting plenty of stares from other ponies, as if it was something he did every day. Despite all that though, Tempest could sense something about him, something that made her almost a little fearful of him. She certainly understood why Twilight was so unsettled by him. She felt like she was walking next to a lion the whole way.

Eventually, she could stand the companionable silence no longer.

“How did you see me anyway?” she asked out of the blue, catching Elusive’s attention.

“I beg your pardon?” he said, seeming to rouse himself.

“You saw me following you,” Tempest reiterated. “How?” Elusive smiled again. Tempest had never met a pony whose smile unsettled her so.

“Well, judging from the way you ducked behind the cart, I thought you’d realised that I saw your reflection when we passed by those shop fronts.” Tempest shook her head.

“You knew I was following you before then. Or you suspected, at least. You went in a circle twice before you turned onto that road. Hay, you were looking for tails right as you came out of the shop.”

“Now what in Equestria would make you say that?” he asked teasingly. “It’s true I kept an eye out for pickpockets, but that’s a problem that afflicts many large cities, and I did indeed take a wrong turn down towards Guardsman’s Walk. But I can assure you, I only noticed you when we reached the shops. And then I only realised your interest was in me when you ducked out of sight. Until then I just thought you were going about your own business.”

“That still doesn’t explain how you saw me,” Tempest persisted as they turned onto the next street. “I’ve been a soldier for most of my life. I know how to tail somepony without being spotted.”

“Possibly,” Elusive agreed with a shrug. “But your rather large form does give you something of a handicap in that regard. It’s hard to be stealthy when you stand a head taller than most ponies.”

“How did you even know to look for me though?” Tempest pointed out, a little irritated. “Even if I was easy to spot, most ponies wouldn’t even be looking for a tail.”

“Nor was I, I can assure you,” Elusive replied easily. “Though, on that front, might I ask why you were following me? Most ponies, having seen a pony close their shop, would either come back another time, or come and strike up a conversation.”

The question caught Tempest off guard. Why had she just followed him? Looking back with hindsight, it had been a rather odd thing to do. She decided to try and mimic the cagey responses her new companion was giving her.

“I was curious about you,” she said. “I’ve heard more than a few rumours about you. And when I saw you heading towards the embassy district with that file under your arm...” she trailed off.

Where was it? Elusive had left his store with a manilla folder. She’d followed him the whole time, only now it was gone.

“Hey, where is it anyway?” she blurted out.

“Hmm?” Elusive mused. “Oh, you must mean the estimate I gave to the wife of the Yakyakistan ambassador. I posted it off shortly before we met as it were.”

She hadn’t seen it. How could she not have seen it? Tempest shook her head. Perhaps she really was getting rusty.

“A lovely creature,” Elusive continued. “And certainly one of my most challenging designs. Yak fashion is both complex and incredibly nuanced. Far too many ponies write them off as simple creatures obsessed with smashing things. I hope I shall enjoy a similar challenge in creating something for you, my dear.”

This brought up another question in Tempest’s mind.

“Why are you helping me like this anyway?” she asked. “You said yourself, I pretty much stalked you through the streets. I wouldn’t be too offended if you told me to get lost when I asked for your help.”

“Well, as you yourself pointed out just now,” he replied. “My business could use more clients. And as I said, I am always open to friendly conversation with ponies who have an open mind. Friendship is magic after all, as Princess Twilight would say.”

Tempest found it partly fascinating, partly infuriating the way that Elusive managed to either give her non-answers, what were clearly lies, or simply evade and redirect her questions by raising two more. To say that this pony was sharp would be a gross understatement. Perhaps that was why she felt uneasy around him. Nopony likes to be around someone who is significantly smarter than them. More to the point, Twilight had said she felt the same unease. Did that mean he was smarter than her?

Making one final turn, the pair returned to the small little alley that held Elusive’s humble establishment. Activating his magic, causing his horn to glow a light blue colour, again reminding Tempest of Rarity, he removed a small brass key from the pocket of his waistcoat, unlocked the door and opened it, ushering Tempest inside.


The shops of Canterlot are just as opulent inside as their outward appearance would suggest. Many are large, with plenty of space for stock, with well furnished interiors. As the home of so many of the rich and famous, they must cater to what their clients expect when they step through the door. And first impressions are everything. So Tempest was a little surprised at what she saw as she stepped into Elusive’s establishment.

As the door opened, a small brass bell above let out a soft chime that reminded her almost of her school days. It let out a clang again as the door softly swung shut behind her, the glass in the frame of the wooden door rattling slightly as it did so. The interior she beheld, while by no means tawdry, was far from what she’d seen of other such stores in the city.

It was cosy, to say the least. The shop floor was made up of a single room, with the single display window at the front, which held a couple of mannequins dressed in Elusive’s work, partly blocked by a screen, compelling the use of lanterns that gave off a warm yellowish, orange glow. The wallpaper was a mixture of a deep red, bordering on burgundy, with small gold patterns embossed on it. Mahogany skirting boards, led down to plush, definitely burgundy carpet.

At the far end of the room was a modest counter, part of which held a glass display case, showing off trinkets such as cufflinks, rings, broaches and watches. You could no doubt find better pieces at a professional jewellers, but Elusive obviously believed in having the right accessories. Directly in front of Tempest were several circular clothes racks, holding clothing for both mares and stallions, each with a hoof written price tag fastened to them with string. These were predominantly made of wood, matching the mahogany of the skirting boards. Combined with the glow of the lamps, the dark colours added further warmth to the room.

The space was so limited, that Tempest found herself having to trail behind Elusive as he led her towards the rear of the store. The larger mare had to take care not to inadvertently bump into any of the displays. Lifting up the folding partition and letting himself behind the counter, Elusive turned back to his prospective customer.

“So, welcome to my humble establishment,” he said, beaming. “I hope you’ll forgive the cramped conditions, but I’ve always loved this old place. Plus, with what business I have, I doubt I could afford to move to anywhere larger at the moment.”

He let out a hollow laugh at that.

“I’ve always found that the small, out of the way shop, tends to be the best place to go,” Tempest replied. Elusive smiled again.

“Indeed,” he said. “Ponies, if you ask me, all too often only look at the surface, the outward appearance. Thus they overlook so much. The nuances and subtleties. And as a consequence, they miss out on new opportunities or wrongfully dismiss something before even taking the time to judge it properly.”

“Such as yourself?” Tempest prodded.

“Oh, absolutely,” he agreed. “Take a look around my shop here.” He gestured to the displays with a hoof. “I provide some of the best designs in Canterlot. But ponies see the out of the way building, the simple signage, and assume that I am nothing special.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” Tempest said, making Elusive chuckle.

“Quite possibly true,” he agreed, while at the same time, confirming, nor denying anything. He then clapped his two front hooves together.

“But to business, my dear Tempest,” he went on. “You are looking for something to wear to Princess Luna’s little birthday soiree?” Tempest nodded and Elusive let out a low hum in thought.

“It is quite the honour. I must confess I am a touch jealous. While Princess Celestia may throw her Grand Galloping Gala every year, inviting hundreds of ponies, the Princess of the Night prefers a much more select gathering of friends. Oh, of course, it is still quite the occasion, and a far more pleasant one at that. Nonetheless, it’s quite the honour to be invited to such a select gathering. And for such an occasion, you shall be needing quite the garment.”

Elusive now came back around from the counter, he walked carefully around Tempest, seeming to study her. Tempest had to restrain herself from turning around on the spot as he moved behind her. Something inside her still told her it wasn’t a good idea to turn her back on this pony. Still, she managed, and Elusive appeared a moment later in front of her again.

“Well,” he said. “Given your height, I’d suggest a formal gown as a starting point. With the right outfit, you may very well become as elegant as the princess herself.”

Elegant was never a word Tempest had ascribed to herself. Elusive meanwhile, trotted over to a small bookshelf, and fetched out a collection of fabric swatches.

“I think something in sapphire might suit you well,” he suggested as he returned, flicking through the swatches as he did so. “ Or perhaps something like this?”

The material was a colour not all that dissimilar to the colour of Luna’s coat; a dark midnight blue. Tempest took the little cutting of fabric in her hooves. It had a silky feel to it, being very lightweight. Truth be told, she knew next to nothing about fashion. After all, it hadn’t exactly high on her list of priorities. Being seen wasn’t exactly desirable for a soldier. Seeing her at something of a loss, Elusive continued.

“Something like this contrasts quite nicely with your coat and mane,” he explained. “Plus it’s always been thought of as a calming colour, evoking feelings of serenity and peace. And I think it would go beautifully with your teal eyes. More bombastic colours, say something in red or orange would be too brash and clash with your coat.”

Tempest, while agreeing with Elusive on that front, was still unsure. In an effort to help her, Elusive brought him magic into play.

“Why don't I give you an idea of what I was thinking of?” he suggested rhetorically.

Activating his magic, Elusive’s horn began to glow a soft teal colour. And a moment later, so did Tempest.

She started for a moment, unused to and uneasy with somepony else’s magic acting upon her. Then again, she reflected, had Elusive meant her any harm, he would have surely acted before now. Right? Elusive reassured her.

“Relax, my dear Tempest,” he said calmingly. “I assure you, you won’t feel a thing.”

It took Tempest a moment to process how he managed to sound both benign and sinister at once.

In any case, the magic did its work. There was a brief flash of light, and a moment later, Tempest saw the effects in her reflection. She was now clad in a beautiful midnight blue dress, just as Elusive described. The silky material ripped as she moved, examining herself. The dress was reasonably conservative, covering most of her body, leaving only her two front legs and part of her upper chest visible.

“What the..!” she exclaimed.

“A simple illusion spell,” Elusive explained. “It comes in awfully handy in my line of work, allowing a client to see my designs before I even begin to craft them. The spell takes images directly from my mind’s eye, and superimposes them on whoever I chose.”

“Impressive,” Tempest replied, now turning to more properly examine herself.

“Thank you,” said Elusive, bowing slightly. “But tell me, what do you think?”

Tempest paused, looking at her reflection. She looked so out of place in the ornate dress. Her scars and injury, her muscles, they all contrasted the delicate garment that now covered her. She’d never worn a dress in her life. She’d never had reason to. She felt a sense of unreality as she gazed at the pony in the mirror.

But at the same time, she did find some pleasure in the image. Now, true, she’d never really concerned herself with the notion of beauty. It was an unnecessary thing for a soldier. You wanted to look intimidating, respectable, but beauty never entered into it. And yet, as she looked at herself, covered by this illusion, she couldn't help but smile slightly.

“It’s lovely,” she said, genuinely meaning it as she turned back to Elusive. The stallion clapped his hooves together in delight.

“Excellent!” he proclaimed. “In that case, follow me, and we can make a start on taking your measurements.”

Deactivating his magic, the illusion faded away, until Tempest was standing in just her coat once again. He then led her past the counter, and through a small doorway at the back of the shop that was covered by a pair of hinged doors that you’d often find at a saloon on the frontier. Here, the décor changed a little to be a little less ornate. The plush carpet gave way to wooden floorboards and panelled walls. The walls were filled with shelves, all stacked with rolls of materials. There were a couple of tables and sewing machines, as well as clothes hangers, holding Elusive's latest projects. And at the very back of the room, along with a small platform, was a set of dividers, creating an ad hoc dressing room. Elusive directed Tempest to the plinth.

“Make yourself comfortable,” he said, again activating his magic and picking up a tape measure, along with a pen and a well worn notepad. “This may take a little while. Just try to keep as still as possible.”

The measuring tape, floating in Elusive’s aura, now began to curl itself around Tempest, pausing every now and then as Elusive took the measurements, before moving on to elsewhere. He said little apart from the occasional hum as he scribbled away. Tempest for her part felt a little exposed standing on the elevated plinth, while the serpent-like tape wrapped itself and her barrel, her legs, neck, and half a dozen other places.

“You really do have quite the impressive form, Tempest,” Elusive commented as he worked. The remark refocused Tempest’s attention on him.

“Am I supposed to take that as a compliment, or are you trying to flirt with me?” Tempest asked half seriously. Elusive let out that dark chuckle of his again.

“I merely make an observation,” he replied. “I assure you, it’s nothing but professional interest. If nothing else, it makes an excellent design challenge, turning a fierce and powerful soldier, into a refined and graceful mare. Or, I should say, combining the two. I’m sure you noticed how easy to move it was in that little facsimile I created for you.”

Tempest had indeed noticed. She’d expected a formal dress to be restricting and difficult to move in, to say nothing of being delicate. Instead, the brief time she’d spent in the illusion Elusive had created, she’d found her movement unrestricted, and the fabric he’d suggested, while feeling soft and silky, had also felt remarkably durable. She had to concede to Luna. Whatever else she might think about Elusive, he certainly knew what he was doing when it came to his current vocation.

Eventually, Elusive completed his work, the measuring tape floated away, curling itself back into a neat little roll and floating back into a nearby sewing kit. Elusive clicked the pen he’d been jotting with, and closed his little black book, before taking a couple steps back from the plinth.

“Thank you, my dear,” he said cordially. “That should be everything I need to get started. I should have everything ready for you in about a week at most. In plenty of time for the princess’ celebration.”

Tempest stepped down from the plinth. She still towered over Elusive, although at least now he was shoulder high to her. On the plinth, he’d been pretty much level with her barrel.

“Thanks,” Tempest replied with a brief nod. “My friend Twilight booked me into a room at the Mareiott on Crown Street, so you can just send a message there when everything’s ready.”

She prepared to head out the door, But Elusive called after her.

“Now hang on a moment,” he said with a grin. “As I recall, I also offered you lunch as well as a fitting.”

Tempest paused. She’d never said no to a free meal, even if it was with this slightly odd tailor.

“Alright,” she said. “Where do you want to go?”

To her surprise, Elusive gestured to a nearby door that led out of the shop half of the building, and into his residence. More than a few instincts told Tempest that wasn’t a good idea, but she had a clear foot and thirty pounds at least on him, and illusions aside, his magic wasn’t that impressive, so she was confident she could get out if she needed to. But if nothing else, that nagging curiosity remained in her mind. She still wanted to find out more about this pony. And so, she followed.


A short while later, she found herself sitting down at a modest table, sitting opposite an empty seat. Elusive had a modest apartment that took up part of the ground, and all of the first floor of the shop. Like the store, it was beautifully decorated, with cobalt blue wallpaper, which stood in stark contrast to the wooden floorboards. Nearby, a fireplace provided a fair amount of heat, while a small chandelier above the table was the main light source.

Elusive had left her here to attend to lunch. The kitchen, a part of which Tempest could see through the connecting open doorway, was probably the most expensive room in the apartment, being outfitted almost to the degree of a professional chef. Tempest could smell something delicious cooking on the air, and was looking forward to the meal when Elusive returned, carrying two plates in his magic.

“I’m very careful about what I put into my body,” he explained. “And as a result, I end up preparing most meals myself. I’m fortunate enough to have access to a wonderful local market here in Canterlot. An advantage of living in the capital, famed for its restaurants, means I have access to some of the best ingredients.”

Setting down a plate in front of her, Tempest found herself looking at an appetising green salad, with tomatoes, spring onions, and a few other vegetables she couldn’t immediately identify.

“So you’re a gourmet chef as well as an expert tailor?” she asked. Elusive smiled as he sat down opposite her.

“I see myself as more of a gifted amateur when it comes to cooking,” he answered. “Although I appreciate your compliment on my tailoring.”

“Still, you’re quite the renaissance pony, Elusive,” Tempest persisted. “A skilled tailor, a gifted cook, and apparently well versed in tradecraft, to say nothing about what I’ve heard on your fighting prowess.”

“Ah, again you try to insinuate, my dear Tempest,” Elusive said, with only half serious annoyance. “Have I not explained away all your concerns?”

“I’m just making an observation,” Tempest replied. “From what I heard you put up quite a fight each time this city’s been attacked. Most ponies don’t stand and fight, never mind going on the offensive.” Elusive now set down his utensils, letting his magic rest for a moment and formed his two front hooves into a steeple in front of him.

“Well, I always did put stock in what the writer Haylein said on the subject; ‘A stallion should be able to change a foal’s diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a problem, pitch manure, cast a spell...’” He now gestured to the lunch before them. “’Cook a delicious meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly’. Specialisation, my dear Tempest, is for insects.”

“You can do all that?” she asked, genuinely curious. Elusive smiled.

“Well, more or less. I’ve never had children, so I cannot attest to changing a foal’s diaper, nor can I say I’ve ever butchered a hog. But beyond that, I have at least a broad understanding of each of those subjects.” Taking another mouthful of salad, he then turned the question around.

“And how about you, Tempest? Where do you score on that list? You have certainly planned invasions and conned vessels, taken and given orders, and quite often acted alone and fought quite efficiently. And considering how close you came to meeting your maker, one might even say you died rather gallantly.”

“Casting a spell will always be out of reach though,” she noted dourly, before adding, with a chuckle. “And I don’t think I could ever write a sonnet.”

“Well, with my help,” Elusive offered. “Dressed in a marvellous gown, you shall have the entire nobility of Canterlot spellbound come Luna’s birthday bash.”

After that, the conversation came to a natural pause as the pair finished their meals.

“I appreciate you agreeing to make me something on such short notice, Elusive,” Tempest said after setting her cutlery on the plate. “I know it is somewhat short notice.”

“Oh, it is no trouble at all, I assure you, Miss Shadow,” Tempest replied, waving away her thanks with a hoof. “As I said, the challenge of designing something for a pony such as yourself, is reward enough. Particularly as our mutual friend, the princess, agreed to cover your expenses.”

“Princess Luna did?” Tempest asked. Elusive gave a short nod.

“Indeed she did. Without putting an exact figure on it, she gave me an effective carte blanche when it came to designing something for you.”

So, Luna had not only sent her to this strange stallion, but even paid for her gown. It was true, Tempest didn’t exactly have much in the way of funds at the present, but she was hardly destitute. In a way, she was somewhat irritated by the revelation. After all, the one thing is this world she could not abide, was pity. But on the other hoof, they said one should never look a gift horse in the mouth. So she resolved to view it as Luna offering a helping hoof, a gift as it were.

With lunch over, Tempest prepared to take her leave. Truth be told, between the early morning journey, and the day’s strange events, to say nothing of the mental effort required to verbally spar with Elusive, she was quite tired and would welcome catching forty winks on a hotel bed. Elusive, ever the gentlecolt it seemed, walked her to the door.

“Thank you again for lunch, Elusive,” she said, doing her best to force a smile.

“You are most welcome, my dear Tempest,” the tailor replied, offering a slight bow. “I hope you will join me again in the future.” Tempest wasn’t too sure on that just yet. There was still so much about Elusive she couldn’t get a bead on.

“Perhaps,” she offered non-committally. Elusive smiled up at her, holding eye contact for a moment. Tempest felt something; that same sense of fear she’d gotten from him before. There was something in those sparkling blue eyes that was terribly frightening, even to a seasoned soldier such as herself.

“I certainly hope so,” he said in a soft, cordial voice. “After all, you know what they say; it’s always nice to have an old friend for dinner.”

He held her gaze a moment longer after he said that. Tempest found herself struggling to look away from the friendly smile and kindly eyes, and desperately wanted to scream. A few seconds later though the moment passed, and she found herself able to move her legs again.

She didn’t run, but she had never walked quite so fast in her life. Nor did she look back until she was well around the corner from the shop.


Leaving Elusive’s shop, but with questions still circling in her mind, Tempest attempted to take a mental tally of what she had learned about her mysterious new...friend? Was that the right word? Elusive certainly seemed friendly enough, at least on the surface, but for the life of her, Tempest just could not figure him out. Regardless of the smokescreen he’d thrown up when questioned on the subject, he clearly knew what he was doing when it came to counter-surveillance. But who had he been looking for when he’d stepped out of the shop? True, he had made Tempest in the street, but he couldn’t have been looking for her. After all, he couldn’t have known about her coming to his store. Unless of course, Luna had told him, but Tempest saw no reason to suspect that.

Then there was the question of what was in that folder he’d had on him and where it had gone. Diplomatic relations between Equestria and Yakyakistan were excellent, so it seemed unlikely that Elusive was engaging in any dodgy dealings with them. Could it really have just been a simple estimate for a customer? If that was the case, why was he so cagey about it, and why did he go to such trouble to drop it off without Tempest seeing?

And of course, there was his supposed skill in combat. Tempest had not seen this directly, but Elusive hadn’t denied it. She’d seen a few subtle hints to suggest that he knew how to handle himself. The way he stood for instance, was a well practised ready stance, the sort of thing a pony might use when they didn’t want to appear to be a threat. And when he’d been taking her measurements, he’d been careful to stay close to her blind spots the entire time. But were either of those really indicators of something, or just Tempest’s imagination?

Finally, there was the most intangible observation of Elusive’s personality. Tempest had met plenty of unsettling characters before. Indeed, her last employer had been a verifiable psychopath. But she’d known that. Anypony who spent ten seconds with the Storm King knew he wasn’t right in the head. Elusive meanwhile, was charming, cordial, and friendly, and yet at the same time unsettled Tempest more than the Storm King ever did. She couldn’t pin down exactly what it was there was just...something about him that didn’t sit right; a gut feeling that he was dangerous somehow, far more than she was.

Of course, these were all interesting observations, and Tempest could come up with any number of possible explanations, but she couldn’t uncover anything concrete. For one thing, she wondered what her reaction would have been if neither Luna nor Twilight had coloured her perception by telling her about him. If Elusive was introduced to her as just another tailor, would she have just disregarded him as odd? Was she seeing things that weren’t really there when it came to him? If only she could get a straight answer out of him.

As she came to the hotel where she would be staying until the party, she resolved to try and put the matter to one side. It was clear that Elusive, to some degree, enjoyed the strange reputation he’d acquired, and seemed to take pleasure in getting curious ponies to chase their tails. So she would simply not play his game. If he had something to hide, he was clearly not a danger, given how long he’d lived in Canterlot for. If those horseapple rumours were true, and he was some sort of spy, he was most likely working for the Equestrian government. Hell, even if he was, he was probably just a file clerk.

With that, Tempest tried to put Elusive out of her mind. It had been a long day between the travelling, tailing, strange introductions, and dress fittings. Rounding the corner, she found herself in front of the hotel. Heading inside, and after an awkward check in process, where the poor mare behind the desk looked about ready to faint from fright, Elusive headed up to her room. Twilight had been more than generous to her in this regard, booking her a decent sized room for her to stay in. The amenities were fairly basic by Canterlot standards, but Tempest hardly craved luxury.

She’d brought a book with her to keep herself occupied. While her friend had encouraged her to try and get out in the city as much as she could, Tempest, given her experience in Ponyville, and the fact that, not so long ago, she’d turned this city into little more than a prison camp, was not so keen on the idea. Besides, she’d made one ‘friend’ today, right? That was the closest description she could come up with. Elusive wasn’t her enemy, nor was he simply ambivalent towards her, so, by pure logic, that made him a friend. A very strange and at times unnerving one, true, but a friend nonetheless.

That evening, after a modest meal in the hotel’s attached restaurant, Tempest tried to get some sleep. But her mind continued to whir away. The mystery of Elusive continued to play on her mind. And despite her decision that she would not allow him to play mind games with her, she still found herself seeking answers. After fruitlessly tossing and turning for the better part of two hours, Tempest threw off the covers and headed downstairs. With any luck, a night time walk around the city would tire her out.