• Published 8th Nov 2020
  • 438 Views, 8 Comments

Late-Night Scenes on a Buckball Pitch - mushroompone



How can you love a game when you aren't sure who will win?

  • ...
1
 8
 438

Win, Lose, or Draw

“Come on,” she said. “We should stop for ice cream or something on the way back.”

He nodded. “Sure, sure. In a minute.”

She sighed heavily and tapped her hoof.

He showed no signs of motion.

With another sigh--this one a little less potent--she flopped down onto the bench beside him.

The rest of the spectators were clearing out. They were all on their way to get ice cream, she thought. Or lemonade. Anything to undo the damage or sitting in the sun for hours upon hours.

And, yet, they all smiled.

She looked at him.

He was smiling, too. Down at the empty pitch.

She chuckled. “You’re weird.”

He shrugged. “I can live with that.”

“C’mon, tell me.” She elbowed him gently. “Why do you love it so much?”

He said nothing for a moment. Just stared down at the empty pitch, the ghost of a smile on his face.

“I think…” he said, slowly and carefully, letting the words roll over his tongue. “I think to truly love something, you have to love all of it. Win, lose, or draw. Past, present, or future. Highs and lows and inbetween.”

She thought about that.

A breeze blew over them, ruffling their manes and threatening to take the ball caps off their heads.

But they stayed firm.

Comments ( 6 )

“I think…” he said, slowly and carefully, letting the words roll over his tongue. “I think to truly love something, you have to love all of it. Win, lose, or draw. Past, present, or future. Highs and lows and inbetween.”

Incredibly important this. You don't get to pick and choose, not if you want it to be real, not if you're going to commit.

This story really is underrated. It's a thought-provoking, inspiring work of fiction. Incorporating different ponies' thorough, elaborate stories into a larger, concise, and cohesive concept can be difficult, but you did it quite well. There truly is something indescribable about a summer night, and you captured that it four different ways. Nice work. :)

10527415
Thank you so much!! It's hard to sell stories like this, so it's exciting when people find it and actually "get it". I'm glad this gave you a little taste of summer at the end of autumn :twilightsmile:

In the end, this was a purely poggers read. It's fluff like this that really stands out.

Your story has been reviewed here!

Login or register to comment