• Published 29th Aug 2012
  • 5,834 Views, 134 Comments

Unwanted - Apple Blumpkin



When Diamond Tiara is in trouble, the least likely pony steps up to help.

  • ...
12
 134
 5,834

Chapter 3 - Filthy Rich

note: Equestrian Deadpool recommends to read Filthy Rich's lines in Cave Johnson's voice. I agree. -apple blumpkin

“For twenty dollars I can tell you a lot of things. For thirty dollars I can tell you more. And for fifty dollars I can tell you everything.” –Madame Ruby

Chapter 3

Filthy Rich felt invincible! He had successfully captured a majority share of his latest conquest assuring that his hostile takeover would go off without a hitch. The rival company was a fast growing Firearms LLC that had only gone public a few years ago. The company was on the up and up and fast, but they were pretending to be a bigger fish than they were. They made the mistake of trading their shares on too many different exchanges. The company had issued far too much outstanding stock and did not keep enough safely tucked away. Filthy Rich and his team were able to work around the clock on every major exchange floor buying the legal maximum of the company per day for the last three days. It was a sweet and quick victory, but even if the rival company had been able to act in time, a slower buyout would have been inevitable. It would have taken longer, but there is no limit to the number of futures purchase options that could be bought above market value, so with Filthy's capitol behind him, there was no way to stop the buy up. If the rival company had been more prepared, they could they could have held out for maybe a month against Filthy Rich's conglomerate and outside-inny partners. When Filthy Rich puts his eyes on a prize, he always gets it. Filthy made the rules and the rest of the market accepted it because they didn't have a choice.

It was all a game to Filthy Rich, and one might imagine that a game that you always won would eventually have bored Filthy, but this was not the case. He was already worth more than he could spend in his lifetime, the numbers were meaningless; The red ink or the black ink were the only things that mattered. It had become about his legacy, to expand his own global empire. It was no longer him vs. the world. Filthy Rich had faced the world, and he won. Now, the game was him versus himself. How far could he push the envelope? How could he make the world bend around him? He tested himself every day. The right business decision were child's play to make. However, the biggest limit his empire had was how fast he could make these decisions. There was only so much time in a day. Filthy Rich, in all of his glory, knew that no matter how smart he was, he was the slowest cog in the money making machine that Filthy build around him-self. It was a simple matter of opportunity cost. Every second that Filthy wasn’t working, the company lost money.

Sure, some days were harder than other, but it was moments like these where everything was worth while. Filthy Rich stood at the edge of his penthouse board room. Towering over the city streets, Filthy looked over the sprawling nightlights glowing off of Neighjing's skyline with a certain sense of pride. Very few ponies could say that they ran the world.

Behind Filthy, his elite were celebrating the day’s spoils. He could hear the occasional pop of a Champaign bottle being opened or the clink of glasses brought together in a toast. They deserved to feel good. Filthy called them his elite because they were all the best in their fields, there wasn't a more qualified or complete business team in Equestria. Filthy turned away from the window and toward the center of the room. The room instantly quieted down.

His team was waiting for one thing, something Filthy Rich had become infamous for. Filthy Rich never smiled except in victory. Truth be told, Filthy Rich thought the whole story to be a bit exaggerated, but the story had taken on a life of its own even to the point where Filthy played along. He wasn’t quite ready to give them the smile they wanted yet though, He would make them sweat it out for a little longer.

Trotting up to the head of the giant table that stretched the length of the room. Filthy slowly turned looking from his left to right, catching each of his employees in the eyes. They all held a look of glee and bemused anticipation. Filthy Rich kept a straight face.

“Everypony in this room did their job today, and you all did it damn well!” A roaring cheer went up around to the room as drinks collided, “Today we successfully completed our move for majority share of Colt Firearms. With this addition, we have expanded our weapons manufacturing sector, and we are now produce 4 times as many firearms as our nearest competitor. Our return on sale is approximately 10% over industry standards. That is what I call a celestia damned check-mate, game over folks!” loud cheering accompanied every pause in Filthy’s speech. “Now, I’d like to call each of you up and thank you personally, but I just don’t have the time. However, there are a few ponies that deserve special attention that I’d like to acknowledge while I have your attention.” Pausing to be dramatic, Filthy motions to a cream colored colt in a sharp suit to his left, “put your hooves together for our Acquisitions Manager, Tournaline Sunstone. Without Sunstone, none of this would have been possible. Sunstone laid the ground work for the entire buy up. Keep up the good work Sunstone!” Filthy raised his glass in honor of his employee, “To Sunstone.”

“Sunstone!” Chorused the elated crowd.

“...For he is a jolly good... pony,” a particularly drunk pocket of ponies in the back started to sing, but they quickly lost their gusto.

Filthy Rich, straight faced, continued as he looked around for the next pony to introduce, “ Sparky, Sunset, where are you two?” On queue the crowd parted to show the two Pegasus mares, one blue and the other white. Filthy made his way through the crowd and draped his front hooves over the blue Pegasus filly's shoulder, “this beautiful lady keeps all of us out of jail on a daily bases. I have the pleasure to introduce Sparky Charge, she is our 'go-to-gal' for international trade law, and has spent the last week making sure our ambush buy up of Colt Firearms was as quick and as legal as possible. Oh and careful boys, She might be beautiful and an absolute pleasure to be around, but I can almost guarantee that she is smarter than you," everypony laughed, "But before we toast to her health allow me to introduce Sparky’s partner in crime, Head of Equine Resources, Sunset Spirit, who coordinated her personnel on 5 different exchange floors around the clock and completed the buy up of Colt faster than I thought possible. Now, put your hooves together for this incredible duo. Without them you would still be working right now, so to Sparky and Sunset!”

“Sparky and Sunset!” The cheers and catcalls for the two cute mares were noticeably louder than they had been for Tourmaline. Sparky seemed to take it in stride, but Sunset blushed looking down at hooves in embarrassment.

“Everypony, you have earned a night off, so make sure you have fun because tomorrow, we have a job to do!” Filthy wrapped up and continued to keep his straight face with practiced ease.

The party broke off into smaller groups and Filthy retreated back to his window-side vantage point. Motioning for a runner to come over, a young colt wearing a jacket with the company logo embroidered quickly came up to Filthy.

“Yes sir, what can I do for you, sir?”

“Go tell my driver to bring the cart around, I will be leaving shortly,” Filthy instructed.

“Right away sir,” the runner bowed and made his way to the elevator.

"Leaving so soon Filthy? The party just started!" Hauteur Wreath, Filthy's second in command, greeted with a friendly smile.

"I fear I must, old friend. The company flight carriage is preparing to take off as we speak," Filthy confirmed as he began a slow gait toward the door.

"How about one cider? You never take the time to relax," reasoned Wreath.

"We don't get breaks often Wreath, but since I have the time, I'm going to go see my daughter. She is all I have left, after all," Filthy explained with a hint of banter in his voice, as he pressed the elevator button.

"Fair enough, you never do get to see her do you? Poor filly must be so alone in that house. But, how about I walk you down to your cart?"

"Nope, never enough time," Filthy said with a quick nod and a small sigh. "Anyway, I'm no coltcuddler, so don't waste your time on me," joked Filthy. His hint of banter lost all subtly. "If you were the smart stallion, and I know you can sometimes be. I suggest you talk to Sparky Charge; I hear she might like you."

As the elevator doors opened, the party noticed it looked as though Filthy, as usually, leaving early, so they all quieted down a bit and waved goodbye.

"Well, safe travels, and say hello to little Diamond for me," Wreath said as he waved goodbye.

"Good Luck with Sparky. You are gonna need it," Filthy said as he gave a quick salute to Wreath and his team. Wreath began to turn to walk away just as the door was about to close it sprung back open, The doors revealed Filthy Rich in his signature eccentric billionaire pose with a wide and toothy smile on his face never one to forget. His slightly inebriated ace business team clapped, laughed, and hollered well after the doors had re-closed and Filthy was gone.

The party continued on, much like you would expect a good party to. About half an hour later, Wreath had managed to get Sparky alone and in a quieter corner, and well, all signs were pointing to 'yes'. When they were interrupted by a runner who needed Wreath's attention.

"Excuse me sir, but Mr. Rich's driver asked me to find out when Mr. Rich would be coming down, but I can't seem to find him anywhere."

For a few seconds, Wreath could only blink at the lowly runner. "He left a while ago; He took the elevator."

"I've been waiting for him at the bottom to help him to his car this whole time, he never came out," added the runner.

Wreath didn't know what could possibly explain this, but a sinking feeling took a hold of his stomach. Something had happened.

The party was immediately halted as the 'party goers turned search party' cleared every floor of the building with no sign of their query.

Filthy Rich had vanished.





note: sorry for leaving the cliff hanger from the previous chapter, but i had to get this chapter written early on.