• Published 21st Sep 2020
  • 587 Views, 5 Comments

Shock to Your System - Vis-a-Viscera



Sugarcoat and Indigo ruminate on what led them to their moment in the pale moonlight.

  • ...
2
 5
 587

Bumper to Bumper

“Really nice night that we both had, wasn’t it?”

“Not inclinded to agree, myself.” Sugarcoat’s purple shoulders rolled in their sockets. “But it’s not like I’m going anywhere."

Indigo Zap chortled in Sugarcoat's lap a joyous laugh that sent sparks rolling through Sugarcoat’s flat stomach. No need to tell Indigo about those mental butterflies, though. It was already weird enough that they were propped up against a tree, firelight twinkling on their faces. Saying too much would ruin their moment under the weeping willow dominating the clearing they wiring - for one or both of them.

Yet Indigo's eyes shot over to he gravel road next to them all the same. The cracks and bumps of the pavement unlit by any light but the one emanating from their location, a flickering flame that they had inadvertently started after a short drive. She'd been expecting someone to come careening down that road for some time now, to interrupt their time. It'd only be her luck that nothing came - now being interrupted was all she could thing about.

Even next to the Shadowbolt she cared for above all else, fate seemed fit to toy with Indigo.

“True, true.” Indigo’s eyes looked at the sky, glittering as her breaths grew labored. “Sure I can’t nap? It’ll only be a minute.”

“Don’t be silly.” Sugarcoat’s hand closed over Indigo’s squeezing the peachy palm softly. “We both need to stay up for this.”

A sly grin shot back across the bow to Sugarcoat. “Aww, Sugarcoat, couldn’t tell you cared,” Indigo purred. “I think I’m working my way into that little bitty heart of yours….”

A beat passed. “...sure, why not?”

Indigo rushed a hand through her blue locks, lending back further against the trunk. Bark scraped slightly against her back, but she bathed in the sensation. After all, it made her feel alive. And given the way Sugarcoat’s eyes had never left hers since they’d come to this clearing, it was a welcome sensation. “Because the way you looked at me last period at Crystal Prep could have frozen the room.”

“You’re delirious.”

“And you’re sexy,” grinned Indigo. At her words, Sugarcoat looked downward to her own body. She supposed that could be true, but this wasn’t something you just blurted out on the first date. Especially one ending like this. The only thing more inappropriate would be - “But I’m sexier.”

“And there it is.” Sugarcoat’s purple eyes rolled, her lip twitching upward at the slight strain. Calm. She had to remain calm.

Indigo pouted. “C’mon, Sugarcoat; don’t you ever laugh?”

Sugarcoat snorted. “Of course I do. When everything’s not a competition, for starters.”

“Yeah.” Indigo’s eyes turned downward, just missing the purple jaw that jutted down at seeing her do that. “Seems like a lot of fun from all that kinda went out of style when Principal Cinch did, huh?”

“Indeed. But the Shadowbolts survived then, and we’ll survive now. Together. As we always have been, even if.. I wasn’t the best at recognizing it.” Again, Sugarcoat’s eyes well as she moved her hand’s caress to Indigo Zap’s bicep, the sweat glistening on it thanks to the flickering fire.

She almost wished Sour Sweet and Lemon Zest were here. Bombastic as her friends were, they’d trip over themselves to help her know what to say and do. As it was, she only settled for close contact and whispered words. “But we’re together now. Second this moment is over, I will happily go anywhere you want to. After all, I led the way tonight. Deal, Indigo?”

Silence reigned over the clearing. Sugarcoat moved, carefully pulling into Indigo’s chin and tucking it upwards. “Seriously Indigo, wake up -”

Seeing Indigo's eyes shining mischievously Sugarcoat realized what had happened. “Got ya! I heard every word, Sugar; no way I’m nodding off to that.”

“That is not funny, Indigo. Stop smiling. You look like a goof.”

“Oh come on, Sugar, live a little.”

“I am living a little - I am trying to make sure you can too.”

“I’m with you, aren’t I? Got all the reasons to stay up right here.” And a blue-tipped fingernail prodded its way into her chest. Sugarcoat winced, but she didn’t tell Indigo to stop. She’d been as prodding as she was right now because of the situation; it was only fair Indigo returned the favor.

“...Yes. Yes, you do have me.” The hand gripping Sugarcoat's slowly moved up to wrap around her far shoulder, bringing her closer. Indigo shivered as she leaned against her purple-skinned friend. “You’re wrong, anyhow.” Her purple eyes filled with white sparkles, the reflected night sky as bright as her hair and twice as scattered.

“About not knowing when I care. Our time at the animal sanctuary showed that.”

“Yeah, that was our stop before this right?” Another light chuckle, and Sugarcoat’s head spun away from the fire’s glow so Indigo couldn’t see her smile. Not yet, at least. Much as it’d help the awkwardness she felt, she had to conserve her energy. “C’mon, Sugar it was fun. I liked it.”

“I’ve taken to animal keeping; I did it for more than just fun.” Despite the blood pounding in her ears, Sugarcoat luxuriated in the sound of Indigo’s steady pants. Especially tonight, that was wonderful to hear. “But I’m happy you found a bird too. It is a nice thing that Fluttershy was there to let us in.”

“And Fluttershy givin’ you lessons to treating that concussed deer was time well spent.” Her peachy hands shoved up her goggles again, the slightest crack in the glass above drawing Sugarcoat’s eye. “Ironic, isn’t it?”

“I suppose.“ Sugarcoat had ended up saving two bucks today. She should be happy about that, yet a grimace crossed her lips as her eyes closed. Visualizing that moment again, Sugarcoat remembered its eyes, the soft light pulsing off its horns and eyes, then slowly slipping away as her vision swam in front of her and-

Then Indigo’s snapping fingers brought her out of that thought. “Eyes open, Sugarplum. You don’t get to fall asleep either.”

“You were certainly alert when picking this spot for us to rest on.” Sugarcoat softly replied.

“Guess I was, wasn’t I?” Indigo swallowed thickly, nuzzling against her friend’s neck. “I liked the bowling alley better.”

“C’mon, it wasn’t about competition this time!” Sugarcoat’s doubting glare broke Indigo within seconds. A heavy series of coughs wracked her body as she cleared her throat. “Alright, maybe a little; one of these days, I’m gonna beat Dash at a sport.”

“Speaking of sport… It is nice to see you’ve become a better one.”

“Hey, you too Sugar.” Sugarcoat blushed a little at that. Hopefully the fire hid it. “The real reason I liked being at that bowling alley was because you opened up there. Or tried to, at least.”

“I’m brash, not blind.” Indigo’s head tilted as she regarded her best friend. “I saw your eyes were on that girl behind me during the lunchroom thing, and that she was about to blow a raspberry at me. I saw how peaceful you were when you were treating that animal on Fluttershy’s doctor table. And I saw what those words you wanted to say to me at the bowling alley were.”

Sugar’s eyes widened at that. If only she could hide them behind her glasses! But they were to her side, almost completely broken in half. She again thanked whatever deity existed for that; if it hadn’t broken, then… well, she was upright and helping Indigo Zap open up. That was what mattered.

“Too late, Sugar; gonna beat you to the punch.” Indigo hung her head, short laughs coming from her lips. “I love you, Sugarcoat. Took me a while to recognize it, but every time you helped me during the Friendship Games… we were really good.”

“We were.”

“So yeah; I definitely want to do that more often. And not with Sour or Sunny or Lemon. Just you. Every once in a while. Anyway, no matter how tonight goes, I just wanted you to know that.” Indigo patted Sugarcoat’s leg, the one bent up to her chest. ‘Anyways, you keep your eyes out. Imma wait for you to prove me wrong on what you were about to say at that bowling alley.”

Sugarcoat hesitated. She was sure times like this weren’t as gut-wrenching as it felt. And her whole body throbbing at hearing Indigo confess; a lower sparking of nerves than she’d felt earlier this night, but vivid nonetheless. And suddenly, her mind, ‘clinical as ol’ Redheart, sharp as Twi’s glasses’ as Indigo had called it - focused. What was she doubting herself for? She might not have a chance to muster the courage for this again!

“You’re not wrong, Indigo.” Sugar’s eyes panned over the crouched form of Indigo beside her. “I… love you too.”

Silence reigned again. Sugarcoat rolled her eyes, and caught the red-and-blue lights of a cop car coming toward the street their little cubby opened into.

“Come on, Indigo, no more jokes.”

Indigo still didn’t respond.

“Other people are coming now, get up.”

Nothing. and suddenly, Sugarcoat’s silent scream joined the din between two girls.

Both of Sugarcoat’s arms gripped Indigo’s shoulders now, still careful so as not to hurt her. Redness dotted her left palm as she moved them back and forth, but she didn’t care. “Don’t do this Indigo! Stand up.”

Voices swam into her mind as the smell of burning rubber invaded her nostrils for the second time this night. They were approaching her, but Sugarcoat’s mind only tunneling to the blue-haired girl refusing to respond to her shakes.

“Call an ambulance, near 144 Ferrell Street-”

“-their car over there?! It’s wrapped around that damned tree!”

“Someone help them, I think one of them’s going into shock!”

The policeman nearest Sugarcoat finally relinquished her hold on Indigo Zap, staring dumbly as the others tended to her motionless friend. His hair was also blue, Sugarcoat dismally noticed - as blue as Indigo’s. “Don’t worry, miss. We’ve got Indigo. She’ll be all right. I’m Officer Spearhead. Do you mind telling me what happened?”

Sugarcoat looked down to her pain-raawkced body. “You can’t guess?” she groaned to Spearhead.

“I see. We’ll worry about that later. Can you walk, Miss..?”

“Sugarcoat, sir. And I think you’ll have to carry me, Mister Spearhead. After all....” And her purple hand swung to her unbent leg. “Not like I’m going anywhere myself, am I?” She couldn't keep the bitter undercurrent from her voice this time. Spearhead gasped upon seeing what she’d pointed to, but was otherwise speechless.

As Spearhead tucked his arms under her, Sugarcoat stole one last look at the buck chewing grass at the end of the highway - the one she’d swerved their car to avoid. It was calm, peaceful - and distracting to the pain shooting through her body as she was lifted. Her curled right leg moved so as not to push into Spearhead’s face, being moved to the cruiser.

The other leg hung uselessly against Spearhead’s side. blood-soaked ground, her belt wrapped around her own thigh the only thing keeping the puddle she had left from becoming a lake.

Sugarcoat buried her head into Spearhead’s hair - warm and cushiony, too familiarly like Indigo’s - and sobbed. Indeed, her despairing mind replied. Fluttershy’s lessons while treating that wounded was time well spent. She hoped time wasn’t running out for the blue-haired Shadowbolt she was following into the backseat of the police cruiser.

Comments ( 4 )

Got a typo in the description (wentt), might want to fix that fast as some people automatically downvote for that.

Indigo Zaaaap!!!
My favorite!!!!

10445180

Seems I've gotten the ending's timing down pat, right?

Login or register to comment