• Published 13th Nov 2020
  • 306 Views, 24 Comments

My Little Inktober Stories - SparkleForever



Zomponies, vamponies, merponies... oh my. Collection of short stories and My Little Pony illustrations. :)

  • ...
 24
 306

Poisoned Love

Author's Note:

Ever since he found his special somepony, left and right ponies were trying to get between them. It was uncanny. And as uncanny as it was, it was equally as frustrating.

The question that burned in Big Mac’s chest was, what did they have against the couple?

Prompt: Enchanted

The pounding of his hooves matched the frantic rhythm of his heart. Big Mac tore through the streets of Ponyville, eyes searching but not finding the pony he was looking for.

“CHEERILEE!” He was growing desperate, resorting to shouting despite the unwanted attention it would draw.

No sooner than the first bellow left his mouth, an unwelcome guest joined in on his run.

“Big Mac!” His little sister Apple Bloom called out to him. “Please come back! We ain’t done picking out the ring!”

“No,” he snorted, ”Ah’m done looking at them doohickys. It’s been too long since Ah’ve seen my bugaboo!”

With a burst of speed, he left her behind. He added under his breath, “And Ah’m startin’ to think yer tryin’ to keep us apart.”

Ever since he found his special somepony, left and right ponies were trying to get between them. It was uncanny. And as uncanny as it was, it was equally as frustrating.

The question that burned in Big Mac’s chest was, what did they have against the couple? Why did other ponies feel that they had a say in what pony he chose to spend the rest of his life with? What hurt the most was that it was his own family that stood in his way.

First it was Applejack. Wasn’t it too sudden, she had asked. She didn’t say anything else then, but her face said it all, that she did not approve. After talking to Apple Bloom, which he caught them whispering in the hall, she became even more vocal about her opinion on the match. Angrier than a nest of hornets, he stomped his hoof and silenced her.

Then there was Granny. All she said was, “The teacher? Are ya sure about that?” Applejack must have spoken to her about them. He didn’t stick around to hear anything else. He wouldn’t be able to control his temper if she disapproved too.

And the worst of them all was Apple Bloom. He thought she was on his side! He thought she was trying to be supportive and help him prepare for the wedding that was going to take place that afternoon. Apparently that was a lie.

At every turn she shot down his decisions on the wedding ring, while each minute that ticked by he felt like he was dying inside not seeing his beloved. She was indifferent to his pain, insisting again and again that he stay a little longer, look a little closer, and choose a better ring for her future sister-in-law.

Why would she care about a wedding band to begin with?

He was beginning to panic. Cheerilee was still yet to be found. Using every last ounce of his willpower, he calmed himself long enough to think of where else she could be. The last time he had seen her, she was being dragged off by Apple Bloom’s friends to… to… Rarity’s boutique! That’s where she’d be to pick out her wedding dress. Big Mac wanted to kick himself for not thinking of it sooner.

He made his way over to the boutique in record time. Looking inside, however, revealed a huge mess, and more importantly, no Cheerilee. Out of ideas and growing fatigued, he paced in front of the boutique, calling her name.

“My love?”

“Bugaboo!” Big Mac’s head whipped around so fast it nearly gave him whiplash. Finally, a sight for sore eyes, he once again beheld his beloved. His love for her seemed to grow ten times in that instant, and he raced toward her as she began galloping to meet him.

He was filled to the brim with happiness. Just a few more paces and they could embrace. Nothing could ruin this moment.

Except, something did. Dozens of thick ropes suddenly appeared above them and they came down upon the couple, lassoing their necks and barring their legs from moving forward.

One moment it was just the two of them, and the next there was a crowd of ponies surrounding them. Some in the crowd were holding the ropes taut, and to his dismay, one of the ponies was Applejack. There was an unsettling glint of victory in her eye. Betrayal cut him deeply and he didn’t even care when tears began to run down his face.

CHEERILEE!” He screamed. He kicked and bucked but to no avail. The ropes held firm while the hope inside him snapped.

BIG MAC!” She cried. She began to sob as they dragged her away, “Why are y-you doing this?”

“Big Mac, Cheerilee,” Twilight Sparkle cut in, “I’m so sorry to have to do this to you, but you’ve both been poisoned with a love potion.”

“The feelings ya have for each other right now are fake!” Applejack added, a touch of smugness in her voice.

“Ahem, yes,” Twilight continued, “and the only way to break the spell is to keep the two of you apart for an hour. Which begins now!”

Many things he would later come to regret left his mouth at that time, and the way his grandma and sisters flinched would forever be seared in his memory.


It was the longest and darkest hour Big Mac had ever faced, and it pulled him under.


Even after the hour was up, he didn’t ever truly resurface.