• Published 18th Dec 2011
  • 2,378 Views, 102 Comments

Trial and Error - Kiernan



A unicorn tries to turn into an alicorn

  • ...
12
 102
 2,378

Chapter 7: A Step Leeward

Chapter 7: A Step Leeward


"It started when I was but a colt, I guess."

"You guess?"

"Well, that's the farthest back I can remember. Anything before that is bits and pieces."

"So what happened when you were a colt?"

"It was my second year of school. Only two students in my class had their cutie marks. The over-achievers, we called them. They were always ahead of the rest of the class, mainly by choice. But enough about that. Our assignment was to design some sort of contraption that performed a simple task. Nothing magical yet. My device was to be a launcher that sped Unicorns and earth ponies into the air, to fly like the pegasi. I had seen the Wonderbolts perform, and was so entranced that I dreamed of flying."

"That sounds like a wonderful dream. Is it possible to grant a magical horn to pegasi and earth ponies?"

"Scientifically speaking, no, but there are untested theories about it. If I set my mind to it, I could probably come up with something. If I ever do, You'll be one of the first to know, okay?"

"That would be wonderful! Anyway, please continue your story."

"Right. Sorry. Rambling again. Anyway, the teacher saw my finished paper and took it to a higher administrator, who called my parents in. Apparently, dreaming of... how did he put it? 'tossing ponies off of high balconies,' I believe. anyway, he said it was immoral, and would cause harm to those around me. He asked them what they wanted to do to help set me back on a moral path."

"I think it's wonderful that you wanted to explore new possibilities."

"Thank you. but my parents agreed with the headmaster, and I was sent back a year into a class that was younger than me. Not quite Magic Kindergarten, mind you, but pretty close. I once more had to go through and learn that pegasi and unicorns and earth ponies were all different, and that only alicorns had the power to both perform magic and fly."

"I remember, back in Flight School, we were taught to celebrate the differences, and rely on the others for assistance when needed."

"Well, it was different back then. We were all taught to believe that we were better than pegasi ad earth ponies, because Earth ponies were talentless, and pegasi were arrogant and carefree, and that only the unicorns had a superior intelect that all else lacked. I saw otherwise, though. The day I snuck out of my house, the day I saw my first pegasus not in a book, the day I saw the wonderbolts performing Daring tricks through my binoculars, that day I decided, I wanted to fly, to be as free as they were."

"So then what did you do?"

"I started designing wings to try to fly away and join them. One day, one of my classmates saw what I was drawing, a unicorn with wings above it, and informed the teacher. Then the Headmaster, then my parents. But this time, it was more than just them. A division of the Canterlot royal guard was brought in. Apparently, the student had reported my drawing as a depiction of Princess Celestia's wings being cut off. They hadn't even bothered to find out what it was from my perspective."

"That's horrible!"

"It was. From that point on, I kept all of my questions to myself, and eventually, I had filled my closet with notes on flight and how wings could be made from synthetic materials. My parents knew nothing about it until one day, they found it. I... I was disowned that day. My father told me to get out of his house, and never return. My mother said nothing, she only sat and wept. My brother, who had supported me, slipped a scroll into my saddlebags as I left, telling me to meet him at a fountain in a square not far from where we lived, to come at midnight, and to come alone."

"Did you?"

"Of course. Where else was I to go? I had no friends, and was marked with terms like 'heathen', 'terrorist', and on an unrelated note, 'blank flank'. People steered their children away from me with haste. If I didn't talk to the one pony who wanted to help, then what could happen to me was anypony's guess. I met him, at the location, alone, at midnight. He had done some time in his life, and his cell mate was a pegasus who had just been released. He told me to go to a certain location, where he would meet me and take me under his wing. No pun intended."

"So you were raised by a pegasus then?"

"No. I waited a week, but he never showed up. By then, I was incredibly hungry, having not eaten in days. Begging didn't help, they only pointed and laughed at me. So I became a thief. Not the kind that pulls off big jobs and sells to a fence. No, just enough to get me through. During that time, however, I was still an outcast. People would scoff, jeer, throw rocks. I remember this one time somepony even tried to light me ablaze as I slept."

"The nerve of them, picking on a child like that!"

"Actually, I was fully grown by then. I had spent eight years living on the streets of Canterlot. It was on that day that I decided to leave. I meant to find a way to pursue my dreams, and I aimed to do just that. After about a month of wandering the area, I found this place, looking as if it had been abandoned hundreds of years ago, but still incredibly sturdy. The local flora supplied me with food for a while, but eventually, I knew it would run out. So I watched and studied the nearby town, as their primary job was growing and harvesting apples. I learned from them what was the best time to plant, to harvest, and what to watch out for."

"So you learned from the Apple family?"

"Is that who they were? if so, I owe all credit to them for teaching me. Anyway, I explored this place a bit, and found all sorts of things. It also seems that a war was fought here, ages ago. most of the pieces surrounding us were dug up as large chunks, probably armor, but some weapons too. I had severed almost all contact with the world around me, and I've been locked away in here of my own accord for the past several years. And that's the story of my life."

"To think of all the problems you went through, I'm not surprized that you turned out this way."

"Yes, well, It's my past, and I wouldn't trade it away if I could. It drove me to create, and the fruits of my labor are mine to enjoy. Here. Try this on."

"A collar? What's it for?"

"Unless you'd rather stay in the cage, of course. I can work with that..."

"Will it help you with your research?"

"It has the potential to."

"Well, How do I look?"

"Like a yellow pegasus with pink hair wearing a collar around her neck with a glowing light attached to a mechanism on the collar. What did you think you looked like?"