• Published 24th May 2020
  • 1,038 Views, 19 Comments

Rainbow Dash's First Trial: Clone Wars Year 1 - Hikarikurai24587



Rainbow Dash's time in the Galactic Republic. During the time of the Clone Wars.

  • ...
2
 19
 1,038

Leaving Kamino

Chapter Twenty Four: Leaving Kamino

A squad of clones gathered around waiting for the test to begin. They snapped to attention as Bric entered the room with the two visitors behind him. One of the clones, CT-5687, watched as they chatted back and forth.

“Sure you don’t want to join us?” Xestu asked not even sparing the clones a glance. 5687 felt irritation and confusion well up watching as Rainbow Dash shook her head saying. “I told you before, I’m still healing. Besides what fun is there if I’m here to be a buffer?”

“Good point.” Xestu replied before quieting down as Bric glanced at them before speaking. “As you might have guessed, there’s going to be a change to the practice test. You lot are going to have to put up with the paper pusher on the battlefield. Good practice when they allow this one….”

Bric jabbed a thumb towards Rainbow Dash as he continued. “...on a mission finding an artifact of her people and doesn’t get injured.”

CT-5687 watched as Rainbow Dash’s face turned dark as her magenta eyes narrowed towards Bric. Two of the clones of his squad, CT-9483 and CT-947, hid a snicker. 5687 watched as Xestu held Rainbow back saying. “Sir, shouldn't you be heading up with Rainbow Dash in order to view this practice test?”

Bric scoffed before heading out of the room, Rainbow Dash mumbling something that 5687 couldn’t quite catch. Xestu nodded and she left. A heavy silence filled the room, the Clones deciding to ignore Xestu until the practice test started. The floor began to shake as they were lifted into the testing grounds. 5687 decided to take stock of their equipment before they reached the top. Standard equipment for the training course.

“What’s with his blaster rifle?” hissed one of the clones, CT-486, drawing 5687’s attention to what Xestu had equipped. “The thing is ancient!”

“Looks to me like a heavily modified sniper rifle and blaster pistol combo.” CT-3127, the weapons expert of the squad observed just as the lift settled.

“Cut the chatter, our mission begins.” 5687 told them as the signal was sounded and the task given.


Rainbow Dash shifted uncomfortably as the group moved forward to complete the training course. She still didn’t like the challenge. Master Shaak Ti had her doubts as well, yet had agreed to let Xestu complete the course with his choice of weapons. What he had shown them was two weapons used by his ancestors. A sniper rifle and a blaster pistol. To the surprise of everyone Bric had shown appreciation for the weapons though he had to point out the fact that they were so ancient they might turn to dust after one shot. ‘I need to remember to ask about his ancestors.’ Rainbow thought to herself watching the firefight going on below. Xestu was keeping up with the Clones making sure that they weren’t flanked. ‘Got to admit it is interesting watching him do this as an observer rather than fighting by his side.’ mused Rainbow mentally. ‘I just hope that they complete this course and get Bric to eat his words!’


“I must admit, I’m impressed.” Bric said as he escorted Xestu and Rainbow Dash to the shuttle that had arrived to pick them up. “I was not expecting you to complete the challenge. Bit of an argument down there that could have cost you the mission.”

“Nothing too major sir, there were words exchanged and I just told them that we could fight after the task was completed.” explained Xestu, a look of confusion flickered on Rainbow’s face. She knew that argument had gotten to both sides. “... Not in those exact words, more swearing. I just wanted to focus on completing the course.”

“I don’t want to see you around here again.” Bric told Xestu who just shrugged. “No promises, Master Chief.”

Xestu stood tall and saluted as did Rainbow Dash. The pair turned around and walked into the shuttle waiting to take them to the ship that would take them to Coruscant. It had been a short assignment but Rainbow Dash felt like they learned a lot. Bric was the common reason that Xestu kept going into the training courses with the Clones. The first attempt he went through didn’t end spectacularly. They made it to the end but Rainbow Dash had noticed that a fight would have broken out if both sides didn’t have something to prove. Now they were headed back, she gave Shaak Ti a bow just before the door closed. Rainbow Dash took a seat and secured herself for take off.

“Make any new friends?” Xestu’s voice dragged her out of her thoughts and Rainbow Dash looked at him before shrugging. “Not really, I didn’t interact with the Clones. If I wasn’t with Shaak Ti I was dragging you out of trouble. Do you normally ignore the one rule that they gave us? Stay in the apartment.”

“I noticed something, Clones not deemed battle worthy are sent to maintenance. I met one of them so I was curious about how that was done.” answered Xestu, Rainbow looked at him with suspicion. “It’s true. I’m surprised you didn’t notice 99.”

“I was introduced to him briefly, I thought it was just Clones like him. You know, physically unable to fight.” Rainbow admitted before growing silent. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that, she could understand it. They would want the best on the front lines, yet she didn’t think it was fair. The Clones who couldn’t pass were just hidden away and forgotten about. No chance to fight alongside their brothers. Xestu pulled out a datapad to work on something while Rainbow Dash was thinking. His fingers tapped against the screen bringing up a program. It was something that like his weapons had been passed down from parent to children. The only difference being each parent added something to it. It was full of tactical simulations and games. No one truly remembered who created them, but the stories always spoke of the brother of their ancestor who had been fond of them. He brought up the oldest one and got to work. He got so absorbed that he almost didn’t notice Rainbow Dash rise to her feet and contact the pilot.

“Is something the matter?” he asked when she returned to her seat.

“The ship that we were supposed to be brought to isn’t there. We’re being taken to the closest vessel. Near one of the moons of Rishi.” Rainbow said and Xestu looked at her. “I think we’ll find out why soon.”

“We are almost there ma’am, please secure yourselves.” the voice of the pilot told them and Rainbow Dash sat down making sure that she was secure. When they came out of hyperspace everything seemed calm. When they docked Rainbow Dash was the first to walk out noticing a line of Clones and two familiar Jedi.

“What happened this time?” Rainbow mumbled under her breath. Xestu looked in the same direction saying. “Not sure, though I don’t think this is the ship that we were originally supposed to dock with.”

“Doesn’t seem to matter right now.” Rainbow pointed out before moving to greet the Jedi. Xestu followed after her putting the datapad away. He knew who these two Jedi were, they were in a lot of the reports that he delivered. Jedi Knight, General Anakin Skywalker and Jedi Master, General Obi-wan Kenobi. Anakin spotted Rainbow Dash, looking like he wanted to excuse himself and leave. Obi-wan glanced at them before nodding.

“What did I miss?” Rainbow’s first question was full of familiarity towards the Jedi. Despite her having told the recruits that she knew some Jedi, Xestu never assumed she meant this Jedi.

“The Separatists almost launched a full scale invasion of Kamino. Those two Clones are the only surviving members of their squad, their bravery allowed for us to make it here in time.” Anakin explained before looking at Xestu who saluted him. “Who’s this guy?”

“This is Xestu, he’s a part of Analytics, other than you he’s the kind of the reason I was sent to Kamino. He would….” Xestu cut Rainbow Dash off saying. “I would insult the Clone. A combination of frustration, anger, and jealousy.”

A look of anger flashed over Anakin’s face until Obi-wan spoke up. “Master Koth spoke of how proud, strong, and confident the Zabrak tend to be. Competition is often encouraged and they often seek positions where they would not be ordered around. I am sure Xestu sees the Clones as competition and was just frustrated that he couldn’t actually compete with them. Though analytics is a good way to….”

“I’m the errand boy.” Xestu said, Rainbow Dash looking at him in surprise. “I run datapads back and forth.”

“Excuse us.” Rainbow replied before taking Xestu by the arm and pulling him out of earshot. “What?!”

“I didn’t tell you because you would go to Pir. I don’t think he can actually do anything, I was placed in analytics and was happy, yet when they told me my task… I was angry.” Xestu admitted rubbing the back of his head. “I know Pir had nothing to do with it, but sometimes I wonder who did. The only thing that had happened since the end of training was the Chancellor asking everyone why they joined.”

“Maybe he sees this as a learning opportunity or maybe he didn’t realize the full scale of your skills.” assured Rainbow Dash patting him on the shoulder. “Just don’t admit to insulting the clones in front of Anakin if you do so again. He’s pretty protective.”

“Eh, if I insult them it will be in good fun.” Xestu chuckled, shaking his head as he returned the gesture. “It’s how we do things in my family.”

“What about Verga?” the question from Rainbow caused Xestu to look at her before saying. “We all say he got all the good genetics from our ancestors. He is my cousin though, not my brother.”

“Well that was obvious: he’s got red skin.” Rainbow Dash led Xestu back to Anakin and Obi-Wan. “So, are you two going to regale me with how this all went down or am I going to have to ask around?”

“Actually we were on the Resolute during this encounter. If you want the full story you will have to talk to Captain Rex and Commander Cody. I’m not sure the survivors are willing to open up just yet.” Obi-wan said as Anakin frowned at Xestu. “Oh come now Anakin. Xestu has just gotten back from Kamino meaning his commanding officer did not take the matter lightly.”

“And for your information Master Chief Bric managed to get me to hate him. I can respect anyone who can put up with that a….” Rainbow Dash cut Xestu off saying. “Bric wasted no time in tormenting him when he arrived. Xestu what did I tell you about insulting Master Chief Bric?”

Xestu rolled his eyes as he began to lead Rainbow Dash to the galley saying. “He’s going to hear about it anyways and the only reason I would go back to Kamino is to see 99 and those guys he kept throwing me into the simulation with.”

“Are you going to name them?” Obi-wan glanced at Anakin as the conversation faded into the background.

“I don’t like him.” Anakin admitted and Obi-wan nodded his head saying. “He is still young and with a friend like Rainbow Dash he might actually turn out to be a decent soldier. What worries me is the report that Master Shaak Ti sent in. Xestu is brilliant, hence why he is in analytics yet to be doing errands normally given to droids, it is no wonder he held a grudge.”

“You’re saying someone is trying to drive a wedge between the recruits and the clones?” Anakin inquired and Obi-wan stroked his beard in thought before replying. “Perhaps, it is so the Clones don’t form attachments to anyone in the Navy or it is to drive a wedge. Since they recently came out of training we can’t tell much about the situation. When I looked into Colonel Pir he seemed to wish for those who come out of his training to be placed into assignments geared towards their talents.”

“Maybe it’s a rival of Pir who sees a chance to prove that his training is ineffective.” Anakin pointed out as Rainbow moved off before trying to drag Rex and Cody to join them for a meal. “You are right about one thing Master.”

“Oh and what is that?” Obi-wan glanced at Anakin who laughed pointing at Rainbow Dash saying. “With her around there might be a good chance that most of everyone in the Navy will see the Clones in a new light worst case scenario just her group. I can’t wait to meet the rest of them.”

Anakin patted Obi-wan on the shoulder as the Resolute headed back for Coruscant. Obi-wan watched as his former Padawan walked towards Rex and Rainbow Dash placing his arms around both their shoulders leading them off.

“What are you planning, Anakin?” Obi-wan sighed before following.