• Published 25th Oct 2020
  • 2,342 Views, 517 Comments

Acts of Love - Krickis



Morning Glisten isn't really a good filly. She fights with other foals, and she doesn't really trust adults. So when three Princesses take an interest in adopting her, she'll need to become someone else to win their love.

  • ...
7
 517
 2,342

Epilogue

Of course the sun was shining. The Crystal Empire weather team wouldn’t schedule anything to happen on today of all days, after all.

The Princess Summit was here once again, and the mare wished she were anywhere else. She hated the Princess Summit, hated the way ponies flocked to it and celebrated all of Equestria’s favorite heroines.

But unfortunately, her partner had been adamant about going. Anywhere with a big crowd was a place they wanted to be, after all. At least if they wanted to eat.

And eating was exactly what she was about to be doing. It was midday and they were breaking for lunch, so the mare had gone to get them a couple of hayburgers. She normally didn’t mind running errands like this, but listening to everyone chatter about their favorite princesses was driving her up the wall.

Every princess had fans, even the controversial Sunset Shimmer. The mare tried to tune them out, but occasionally things drifted into her perception.

“– think of Equestria’s newest princess?” she overheard someone asking.

The mare just rolled her eyes. She remembered a time when Celestia was the only princess. Now it seemed that every time she checked, there was a new princess popping up.

“I don’t know. I guess we’ll find out today,” somepony answered. “What was her name? Morning something?”

“Morning Glisten.”

The mare stopped in her tracks and looked back at the two stallions that were talking. She walked over to them and smiled sheepishly. “Excuse me, did you say Morning Glisten?”

One of the stallions shrugged. “I think that was her name, but I’m not positive. Why?”

The mare shook her head. “Nothing, I just, er, hadn’t heard the news.”

It had to be the wrong name. It had to be. Morning Glisten…

She had to be sure. Thankfully, there were only a hundred different ponies hawking the day’s newspaper, so it was easy enough to find one. She only had a few bits on her, and they were supposed to be for food. Still, she would go hungry to make sure they’d had the wrong name…

She bought the paper, and looked at the cover, which only showed the four adult alicorn princesses. The mare hated looking at them, but she’d gladly take that over the alternative. The story continued inside, so she tore open the paper and flipped to the right page.

There were pictures of all the secondary princesses. Fluttershy, Sunset, and Flurry Heart were expected, but like she had heard, there was a fourth now.

It had been six, almost seven years, and still the mare recognized her. Recognized her daughter. She’d never forget that little pink filly that had cried so much when her mother had been forced to give her up for a better life.

But not for this. She was meant to have a normal life with other ponies like her, not be adopted into Equestrian royalty!

“There you are,” her partner said. “You took so long that Trixie came looking for you.”

The mare turned to her, but she couldn’t speak. Instead she just levitated the paper over to her.

Trixie skimmed the article, then turned to look at her with her mouth hanging open. “Morning Glisten? But isn’t that your…?”

The mare nodded, then looked up at the castle. That was her daughter, and she had made the ultimate sacrifice to give her a better life. And now this…

No. This was unacceptable, this could not be another thing that Twilight Sparkle took from her. She wasn’t sure what she was going to do yet, but as the mare looked up at the castle, she knew she would do something. Twilight Sparkle… she had not seen the last of Starlight Glimmer.

Author's Note:

Who We Become is a story that takes place across two worlds. The human story and the pony story happen concurrently and affect each other, but they can also be read as standalone stories.

Coda is the next entry in the series, taking place in the human world over a span of time ranging from shortly after Thicker Than Water to happening concurrently with Acts of Love. It follows Fluttershy as she closes several pages of her story. It’s the next recommended story for those interested in the full series, but it's a side story and could be skipped.

If you only care about the pony side of things, you could skip to Coloring Outside the Lines, a story about Flurry Heart as she deals with kindergarten crushes.

There is currently no main story after this one, but I'm working on it slowly. It's called Life in Equestria, and I hope to have it out by the end of 2022!

Comments ( 70 )

she had not seen the last of Starlight Glimmer.

what

the way i almost just broke my fucking phone what the fuck

um um um so twilughts dream was completely rational

Mind blown!

Thanks for the fic!

10629394
Nobody expects the Starlight Glimmer!!!

10629396
To file a claim for damage to telephonic devices, please fill out this form

10629397
Been waiting for this reveal! Glad you enjoyed the fic :yay:

JMP

... I have a bad feeling about this.

Oh boy, cant wait for the inevitable 'I want my kid to have a good life,but not with you,so time to make you and my kid miserable to prove how awful you aren't "parenting" that Glimmer'll likely portray.

Unless,you know, she actually acts rationally.

WHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT. I know Starlight is powerful, and is equal to that of Twilight, but could she take on Twilight and Sunset......sweet celestia. i'm grinning from ear to ear

Goddamnit Krickis, just when I thought things wouldn't get more crazy. Good news for Morning I guess, she's definitely on the top 5 most powerful pony, or she will be, if her parentage is any indication.

10629433
Surely nothing bad will come of having an ex-cult leader who never got her reformation arc in this verse as a bio-mom, even if she hates your parents and swears revenge :pinkiecrazy:

10629457
Well one thing's for sure with this series, whatever does come up is sure to be dramatic :scootangel:

10629462
In a head to head fight, I imagine Twilight and Sunset together would be too much for Starlight. But the question is if it'll come to a head to head fight :raritywink:

10629475
Always expect more drama from yours truly :ajsmug:

Okay, I did NOT see that one coming. Uh best cliff-hanger/reveal EVER! :pinkiegasp:

10629520
Hehe usually I get people swearing at me in these epilogues, but being the best is cool too :raritystarry:

OH SHIT
I was expecting an oc, not her! Both worried and cant wait for the next fic!!

JMP

10629490
I don't like any of this. Starlight has no right to think Twilight stole Morning from her. She gave Morning up as an infant. And all things considered, Morning does have a pretty normal life. She lives with a loving family, goes to school, and has friends she enjoys spending time with. That's all that matters.

Oh shit oh fuck oh no.

10629557
It'll be a bit before she makes her move, but we'll see more of Starlight eventually :raritywink:

10629584
Well sure, but there's two things to keep in mind here. One is that this is a Starlight who never got reformed, who never forgave Twilight for taking away her village. The first half of S5 is canon to WWB (including Starlight's village episode) while the second half (Starlight's redemption) is not. The other thing to keep in mind is that Starlight will only ever see Morning's life from an outsider perspective; she'll see a princess (which she hates) and not that she's a normal pony.

10629596
This is about what I expected the reactions to this epilogue would be haha

Starlight Glimmer: my daughter needs to have a better life
Morning Glisten: (technically becomes a Princess)
Starlight Glimmer: wait no not like that

10629690
Well fuck, it did...

10629816
Haha yeah pretty much :rainbowlaugh:

No. This was unacceptable, this could not be another thing that Twilight Sparkle took from her. She wasn’t sure what she was going to do yet, but as the mare looked up at the castle, she knew she would do something . Twilight Sparkle… she had not seen the last of Starlight Glimmer.

well that just blew my mind I think my eyes widened when I realized who this was about,then they widened even further when trixie came into the picture and I realized it was starlight glimmer who is mornings biological mother and when she vowed her revenge on twilight? Well nothing good is gonna come of that, we all can see the black clouds gathering, a storm is coming and we're in for something major......I can't wait to see what happens next😦😦😦😦😲😲😲

10629869
It'll be a while yet before Starlight makes her move, but we'll see something coming from her for sure!

Who is the father if Starlight is her mom??:trollestia:
Could she actually be Sunsets niece :pinkiecrazy:?
This would make some insane family.

Dun-dun-DUN!!!!

No but really, this is the second story I've read in this series. And I find it was a very good read. I really should stop reading all of these hodgepodge and out of order.

It seems that obsessing over every detail in the prologue payed off, as she was one of the characters that I thought could be the mom.
I was far from certain though, and definitely didn't think that she would be working with Trixie nowadays.

10630322
Not gonna lie I considered it. If I went with it... we'll find out someday :raritywink:

10630455
Haha I hope this has made sense without the full context, and if you ever decide to go back and read the other stories, I hope you'll enjoy them :scootangel:

10630790
A few people called this twist, but I'm all in all glad to see it flew past most readers' heads. I'm surprised that a few people seem surprised about Trixie, though.

10629646
Wait, so Twilight coming to Starlight's village and ending her, ah, operation happened as well? Was this mentionned earlier? Or did something else happen?

Sorry if I missed it, or if I missed what happened.

10633490
Yes, Twilight and the other mane six going to Starlight's village and stopping her equality cult happened shortly before Inner Strength. I've always held that every episode up to Crusaders of the Lost Mark (where the CMC get their cutie marks) is canon to WWB, and since Starlight's village episode is before that one, that's part of the series canon.

10633561
Ooooh. I didn't realize the plotline started after that point (altho it does make sense, actually. It's a wonder how I missed that.)
Alright, thank you!

10648062
Yeah, the SoL nature of the story makes it hard to show Badass Twilight, but sometimes it's really cool even in a SoL to be reminded of just how UTTERLY BADASS Twilight is. Possibly my favorite chapter in this story, just for that.

10696025
She better get some stimming toys in the sequel 👀

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I HAD THE FUCKING HUNCH I HAD IT I HAD IT I HAD IT THERE WAS A REASON WE DIDN'T HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT HER WHEN SUNSET VISITED THE VILLAGE AND WHILE COAT COLORS MEAN SORT-OF SHIT TO CANDY COLORED HORSES YOU CAN BET YOUR BUTT I WAS WONDERING WHEN HER NAME WAS MORNING GLISTEN AND THE DESCRIPTION OF HER MOTHER WAS TEASED LIKE THAT I KNEW THERE WAS GOING TO BE DRAMA BUN YOU WROTE THAT DREAM AND I KNEW THAT THERE HAD TO BE SOME SENSE OF TRUTH AND FORESHADOWING TO IT I KNEW IT AS SOON AS THE MARE REFERENCED NOT SUPPORTING THE ROYAL FAMILY AS SOON AS THERE WAS TRIXIE I FUCKING KNEW IT OKAY SHE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO KEEP THE FOAL I KNEW YOU WERE PLANNING THE PARENT TO BE CANON CHARACTER WITH WHAT YOU WERE UP TO OKAY AHAHAHAHAHA

ALSO OH FUCK NO OH HECK I AM OUT OF BUN WORDS TO READ OH NO

10704994
And I'm on hiatus lol so be prepared to be out of bun words to read for a bit :twilightsheepish: Well, Coda has one more chapter, but after that.

10705125
Ah well, writers need breaks too. I'd say I'm on a bit of one myself, but college is a thing, so...

I'm gonna be honest and say that I don't have the energy to get into this or your other comments on Stormy Skies much, but to be brief, my personal view is that Luna was wrong, and if she was going to kill him she should've just done it.

I suppose, but reading the chapters was frustrating because it felt like it was divided between "ponies who are with Flutters" and "ponies who stand with Luna" instead of letting there be more varied points. The closest that happened was Twilight, and then there was Sunset, who dealt with both Stormy Skies (or came the closest to it) and she didn't have as much of a voice, even after she got back from her side quest.

While I'm all for predictions, I'll say outright that Zephyr Breeze will never be in any story I ever write because I just personally hate him passionately.

That just makes it more fun.

Lol could be fun but I don't have plans for a story focusing on that. Too many side stories already and I just want to get things moving on this series.

Reap in google docs pile, story that could have been, am I right?

Luna's narration in In Pieces said she is uninterested in having foals, but Celestia is. Celestia herself here says she has an interest but a crippling fear of it. I'm avoiding saying what comes by instead saying what's happened lol

I didn't recall that bit from In Pieces, but I do know that you have this Luna as pan, so I wouldn't be surprised if her or one of her possible other partners ended up having/carrying/bringing a step-foal into the situation. It just seemed more likely for her to wind up in a situation where that was possible than Celestia. (Isn't she aroace here, if I'm remembering things right?)

Oh what the fucking fuck, Starlight Glimmer?! Nooooooooooo :flutterrage:

Damn it.

Anyway, excellent story as always! I admit, like others I was expecting the story to unfold in such a way that Morning was going to keep lashing out, keep doing terrible things, until one day she'd do something egregiously horrible and she and her mothers would have to work through it all, but I'm satisfied with where the story went. She's such a troubled and traumatized little girl, but her biggest trouble is letting herself be loved and accepting that there are so many people who genuinely care about her. In a way, she built her own walls around herself, the same way Brass Badge once did. She's just been fortunate enough that the ones around her wanted in so badly, and proved to her that it's OK to let those walls come down, and that it's still early enough in her life to enjoy letting those walls come down.

She still has a ways to go, but I see nothing but good things in Morning Glisten's future. And I'm sure I should know better than to say that, because this is WWB and of course you know all the best ways to punch right through and wrench the reader's heart out, but I'm still gonna say it anyway.

.....

Whyyyyyyy Starlight Glimmer, whyyyyyyy :raritydespair:

10815573
Lmao it's been commonly assumed that Starlight Glimmer isn't part of WWB, but actually half of S5 is canon to this series, which means her debut episode happened but her redemption did not. I think that leaves me with a very interesting Starlight to work with, someone who still is on an equality kick (though maybe less so than she used to be, travelling with Trixie) and who hates Twilight and co. It leaves her a very interesting antagonist for this series, I thought, and I'm happy to have her on board.

And about Morning, I probably could've done a colossal fuck up of some sort, but it's really not my style. Smaller more realistic drama is usually what I go for, at least in Phase One of WWB. Speaking of, did you know that there's only three more Phase One stories after this one? :raritywink:

10815579

Yeah I've seen in other comments about what's canon as far as WWB goes(every ep. up to Crusaders of the Lost Mark and the first three EQG movies, I think) so leaving Starlight as a future antagonist is a good choice, I feel. I believe at some point you told me/someone that after phase one is done WWB will shift more to a "saving-the-world" type story, and all the hints about the second Sunset(the arsonist) and Starlight will play into that? I might be hallucinating that, though.

Smaller more realistic drama is usually what I go for

Sweating nervously while thinking about Looking Glass and Playing House.

10815720
I did mention that Phase Two will be a more epic adventure story, much different than what we've gotten so far. A lot of the pieces that have been getting put in place will be more fully realized then, including the other Sunset, Starlight, and the fucking changelings that I've only been teasing for six years now...

And lol I consider most of Playing House to be smaller scale drama, in that it's all interpersonal relationship drama. There's the one big exception in that story where things got decidedly darker with Sky, but...

10815723

Big ups, fam, I'm eager to see where the series will go. Btw, are there any other stories with Mo Glow in them? I'm interested to see more of her and I think you left a link to one at the end of one of the chapters.

10817463
This is currently the only story in the series with Mo Glow I'm afraid, although I'm actively writing the next one. She's not the main character of that one but she's in it, and she'll return to bring a main character in a few stories down the road. The next story focuses more on the supporting cast (mane six that aren't part of our wife trio, CMC, Spike), giving them more of a spotlight for a two act story. I dunno when it'll come out, but I'm enjoying it and hope everyone else will too :twilightsmile:

10817494

I could've sworn you left a link somewhere to a story that someone else had written that had Morning in it, but I guess I was hallucinating(I seem to do that a lot :twilightoops: ). Big ups on the next story; it's been awhile since the CMC were in the spotlight, I think.

10817574
Oh I did actually! I'm glad you mentioned someone else wrote it, because that made me realize what you meant. It's called The Hero Club, and it has several WWB characters (and is the story where the titular Hero Club, the three files Morning fought with, come from). The Hero Club and Who We Become are separate stories, but author Mind Jack and I have worked together for years and decided to share OCs between my WWB and his THC as we each see fit.

10817614

Ah, there we go! Thanks for the link, I'm gonna check it out.

Oh stars. It’s her. :facehoof:


Wonder what she’ll think the first time Morning mentions “Uncle Sunburst” in her hearing... :trollestia:

oh dios my fucking los mios

Glim-Glam LightStar?! :pinkiegasp:

But also yay to The Great and Powerful Trrrrrixe! Being here and with Starlight(best ship) :trixieshiftleft:

11232066
Hahaha I love these two together, even in a world where Starlight never reformed, I couldn't keep these two apart :raritywink:

11239174

My brother also spent another of years working in a children's group home

ah, that'll do it

I wasn't trying to tell an orphanage story, but rather an adoption story, so I allowed the orphanage to be a good environment all around rather than digging into it as a source of drama like I could have.

and that's fair, certainly would detract a bit from the overall thing, yea?

most (though by no means all) adults involved in this sorta thing are decent folks trying to do right by kids, they don't need me making drama out of their work.

I...
I'll respect your wishes on that one

11239326

I...
I'll respect your wishes on that one

Ultimately this is exactly why I didn't make a thing of the orphanage, I just don't know enough, as seems to be evident here :twilightblush:

11239459
and honestly, my feelings on the matter aside, that's the right approach; you don't wanna make a hullabaloo about something you only really have second hand knowledge of, yea?

Login or register to comment