• Published 5th Apr 2020
  • 205 Views, 3 Comments

A Fleeting Chance - Nygell The Glutius



Toffee Brulee believed in the Equestrian Dream. He was promised that success would come of his special talent, no matter what it was. Unfortunately, fate had other plans.

  • ...
 3
 205

Shining from Darkness

Time was lost to me. I barely noticed winter and almost didn’t mind the bitter conditions of my cell or the cruelties from the Guards. They found a wicked enjoyment in trying to make me feel anything, but even that soon bored them. When winter gave way to spring, I cursed the sweltering heat of the Sun. Everyday I would blaspheme its warmth while I prayed to the coolness of night and its Moon.

I was outside pulling carts full of ore when my eyes were shot by the gleam of metal, amplified by the light of the Sun. My head turned towards the offending object that dared to mock me. It came from the hostler of a Guard, who oversaw the activities of our work. His revolver stuck out slightly and exposed a portion of its frame. The glaring shine pierced deep into my eyes and burned away the muddy sluggishness that addled my dismal mind.

Behind that facade of misery I saw multitudes of scenes depicting Gravel’s revolver felling the Chief Executive. Its roar exploded through my ears again and again as the Chief died each time the memories repeated. I shut my eyes and clenched my teeth while I massaged my throbbing head. The recollections finally converged into a singular image of Gravel firing the revolver at a glass abyss. As the shards rained down, a metal factory door appeared. She pointed a hoof to it.

“Yer still here, Toffee. Even now, there’s a chance.”

I approached the door and knocked. It responded with a gruff voice..

“What do you want?”

I blinked only to see that I had trotted to the Guard with the revolver. His face remained stoic, but irritated. I reeled back a little and glanced at his firearm.

“Just wanted to say what nice gun you got there. I’ve heard Steel Stallion talk about how powerful and useful they are,” I said sheepishly.

“He’ll see that for himself if he keeps his antics up,” the Guard sneered. “Don’t you got something more important to do, blank flank? Get out of my sight before I show you what my gun can do.”

“I certainly do, sir.”

I bowed before leaving him not for respect, but instead to hide my growing smirk. Steel Stallion still lived and the Revolution continued to persist without me. I wasted enough of my time away from it with my moping. Ponies milled about near the entrance of the penitentiary iron mine. Gravel and I came here to rekindle the fire of the Revolution, but now that duty fell upon me alone.