• Published 5th Apr 2020
  • 205 Views, 3 Comments

A Fleeting Chance - Nygell The Glutius



Toffee Brulee believed in the Equestrian Dream. He was promised that success would come of his special talent, no matter what it was. Unfortunately, fate had other plans.

  • ...
 3
 205

Upswings and Downfalls

Industrial life became routine in Princessyn. I would wake up early, go to the factory, produce the latest and greatest products, go home, eat, complain about the pain in my hooves, and finally sleep would claim me. This delightful monotony was broken when Gravel called me into her office. It still appeared the same as it had when I was officially employed, as usual. Gravel regarded me with her smile...as usual.

“I’ve some good news for ya Toffee! With the increase of employees in our humble little factory, I’ll be needin’ some more help supervisin’ and managin’ the newbies. Ya’ve been here a good few years now; ya know the ins and outs of this place a good as I do. Why don't ya become a forepony?”

The opportunity was tempting, but the burdens of the past snaked their way into the present. Memories from Manehattan flashed through my mind, reminders of disaster and incompetence. I pressed my lips together and lowered my head.

“Thank you for the offer, but I don’t think that I am capable of being any sort of manager.”

“Nonsense my friend! Ya’ve got the head fer it, and, with a bit of hard work and determination, ya’ll be a mighty fine forepony.” I stared at her in silence and Gravel sighed. “Look, I know why it seems overwhelmin’ to ya, and ya know what’s the only thing keeping ya back from doing it?” She tapped a hoof on my muzzle. “Why you of course! Look at me, Toffee. I was the odd one out in my earth pony family. I was destined to study rock magics and gemstones. But on my way, I found this factory. And in this factory, I learned to manage things better than I knew my magic. If I can do it, you can do it too.”

“I’m still not so sure, Gravel. Life gave me a small chance with this job. I doubt it's just going to let me flourish. Otherwise, I’d still be in Manehattan.”

She hummed. “How’s about this: why don’t ya take some time to think it over? Ya got all week to tell me.” She leaned in closer and whispered, “Take the day off while yer at it. Ya know, mull things over. I’m sure the Chief and his cronies won’t mind. Them stuckups don’t know anything anyways.”


As I accustomed to life in Princessyn, I noticed distinctions in the sounds of the Beasts. Sometimes they were loud, boisterous symphonies of metallurgy and machinery. At others, they were muffled and reserved as quiet psalms. Today, the Beasts’ noise was of the former description, but, as I listened more closely, I heard the underlying outcries of wrathful ponies. There was a crowd gathered at the entrance of one of the neighboring factories surrounding a pristine, groomed, and immaculately well dressed mare. She addressed the crowd with a haughty voice.

“Lovely workers of mine, there is no need to protest! I am trying my best to keep your wages consistent! Remember that you are all lucky that I had the heart and generosity to offer this work to you bumbling blank flanks!” the pudgy mare shouted to the crowd. “You all remember the importance of keeping the status quo. The harmony of hierarchy is as crucial to paying you as it is to me.”

Her pep talk did little to quell the raging tide of the workers. Numerous voices bellowed back to her.

“You’ve never had our interests or even our necessities in mind you husk!” shouted a stallion.

“Lies! Lies! Lies until the end from this cowardly, spoiled wench!” a mare yelled.

“Let’s teach this hag who really is on top in her little hierarchy!” another shouted.

The throng of ponies descended upon the poor more with terrifying rapidity. I could still hear her pleas for mercy and pity amidst the profane wrath of the workers. In the distance, Guards approached wielding batons and whips, drawn to the commotion. At the sight, I quickly trotted away from the scene lest I be associated with it. To my horror, when I looked back one more time, the horde of ponies did not cease their rage even as the Guards began beating the rioters to the ground.

When I arrived at my poor excuse for a “home”, I decided to have the remainder of my day in relative tranquility. When darkness blanketed Princessyn, I again heard the labor of the late night workers begin. The Beasts howled in anguish throughout the Moon’s journey. Their anger made them hard to ignore, and made it harder to sleep.