• Published 9th Feb 2020
  • 4,524 Views, 132 Comments

A Trip Through the Mirror - RainbowDoubleDash



Four Equestrian teenagers. One human mall. Predictable results.

  • ...
5
 132
 4,524

3. f3 e5, g4?? Qh4#

For a good three-year-period there, Sunset Shimmer’s life had been so simple. Wake up. Go to school. Manipulate the school around her so that she remained in charge of the teeming throngs of teenagers who would one day form the core of her army as she marched back to Equestria and conquered it. Go to her after-school job as a cook and salespony at Summer Sushi. Go home. Do homework. Sleep.

She wasn’t proud of the fact that sometimes she wished she could go back to those simpler times, but she also didn’t think that when one looked at how complicated her life had become, she could be blamed for wanting to go back to the days where months could pass without there being some kind of magical disaster. Years, actually. The entire three years she’d spent in the human world. But these past few months…

There she was, minding her own business and doing her job of frying rice and cooking chicken and rolling up sushi, when all of a sudden screams started cutting through the mall. She tried to ignore it at first – it was a busy Saturday and it wasn’t like she hadn’t heard screams before, and ninety-nine times in a hundred it was nothing, some over-excited kids or irate customers or something.

Of course, then the screams continued and got louder. Sunset looked up from the grill plate and saw people running, and not in a “ha ha let’s make idiots of ourselves in the mall” runs. No, their gait had an all-too familiar pattern to it.

“Monster!” A few people cried out as they ran.

Sunset took a moment to sigh. “Yup,” she said, switching off the grill plate, taking off her apron and hat and hairnet and tossing them aside, and going up to her boss even as she got out her phone. “I gotta deal with this,” she said, jerking her thumb in the direction the people were running from while she used her other thumb to start texting the girls: equestrian magic, mall, come quick.

While Sunset and her friends kept their powers secret from most of the world, she had personally read too many comic books in her time and seen the angst it caused heroes like Arach-Kid to want to keep it secret from her boss. So the man nodded and wished her luck, and with that, Sunset was off, running against the tide of people.

“Okay, bright smiles,” Sunset said to herself as she jogged. “Nevermind that it’s been a busy Saturday and I’ve been working at a hundred-degree grill for the past four hours, that doesn’t matter, because someone needs friendship right now. I am going to friendship the heck out of them.” She paused outside of a sporting goods store, ran in and grabbed an aluminum baseball bat, and ran back out while promising to pay for it later. “So much friendship…”

She found a mall cop and an employee of Elusive’s Confidence standing outside of that store – no, not standing. They looked like they wanted to run, but they were stuck to the ground by some kind of greenish-black ooze, anchoring their feet in place. Sunset jogged up to one of them. “What happened?” she asked.

The mall cop looked to her. “M-monster!” He exclaimed. He pointed at the store. “There was some shoplifter, a crazy girl with a dog and a parrot, loaded with cash – we tried to escort her out but then the animals attacked us, and they could talk, and then the girl – ”

“She isn’t even human!” The employee called. “Some kind of…of horse-bug thing! She grabbed one of the security guys and dragged him inside!”

Sunset blinked at that, head tilting to the side. “A changeling?”

“I don’t know, I didn’t ask!

“Did it have holes in its legs? It’s important.”

“I don’t know!” The employee repeated. He had fallen back onto his rear and was trying to pry loose the goo around his feet, but all that happened was his hands got stuck. “You gotta get me out of here!”

“Get yourself out of here, it’s not safe and it hasn’t stuck you yet,” the mall cop countered.

It would be the safe thing to do, for Sunset, but it sure as heck wouldn’t be safe for the mall cop that had been attacked and dragged into Elusive’s Confidence by the changeling. She grabbed the baseball bat tighter and headed inside the store, ignoring the objections from the two behind her. A thin trail of slime on the ground showed her that the mall cop had been dragged towards the back of the store, towards the fitting rooms, where she heard vague, hushed, panicked voices.

Sunset stopped just outside the fitting rooms entrance, taking a few faux swings with her bat as she tried to listen in, but she couldn’t hear anything clearly – not the least of which was because of muffled whimpering and moaning.

Sunset lifted her bat, readying it. “Hey in there!” she called. The voices stopped. “Hey, um…I’m going to guess that either you’re all changelings, or at least one of you is a dragon. The dog. And the fact that I know that should probably tell you a lot about me.”

Silence greeted Sunset for several moments, before a scratchy feminine voice called out to her. “Are you Equestrian? Who are you?”

“My name is Sunset Shimmer,” she provided. “I’m friends with Princess Twilight – ”

That prompted an immediate reaction. “Oh gawk, we’re busted!” A male voice cried out. But more importantly there was the familiar scrabbling of hooves on tiles – and suddenly Sunset found herself face-to-face with a blue changeling. She raised her bat defensively, but the changeling didn’t attack her, instead dropping down to her haunches and holding up her front hooves, eyes clenched tightly shut and streaming tears.

I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I didn’t mean to but the human attacked my friends and my friends attacked first but they thought that I was being attacked and Gallus’ wing was broken and I didn’t think it was fair because we hadn’t done anything so I grabbed the human and cocooned him and plee-hee-heease don’t expel me!

Sunset stared a moment more, before lowering her bat. She leaned around the corner, and saw a dog and a parrot with a broken wing – and shoved into one corner, a human completely wrapped up in a black-and-green changeling cocoon, looking unharmed but unconscious thanks to the sedatives within it.

Sunset looked between the three. She found herself pinching the bridge of her nose. “Okay, what?


An explanation had needed to wait – the actual police were on the way, after all, as well as Sunset’s friends, though she had texted them to let them know that the crisis wasn’t the fighting kind, at least. Fortunately – and naturally – Rainbow Dash had arrived first thanks to her geode’s power giving her super-speed, so that at least solved how to get the changeling, dog, and parrot out of there without anyone knowing. The changeling – Ocellus – had helpfully cut open the cocoon containing the store clerk just before being carried off, at least, so he would be fine.

The three had also let Sunset know about another interloper – a pegasus pony in the form of a young girl, Cozy Glow. Sunset had found her not at the Pomme store, but instead at the nearby book store, having taken refuge there when the commotion had started. She’d been suspicious of Sunset and her baseball bat, but when Sunset had name-dropped her friends and knowing Princess Twilight, Cozy had instantly warmed up to the girl and thanked her profusely for getting her friends out of trouble.

Fluttershy had been called in to attend to Gallus’ wing, but with the four Equestrians being so cooperative there was no longer a need to interrupt anyone else’s day, so Sunset had let them know that the crisis had been averted. And so she found herself looking at a sniffling changeling in human guise, a dragon-turned sheltie who alternated between nudging the changeling with her nose and growling at anyone who got too close, a griffon-turned-cockatoo who Sunset was pretty sure was playing up his injury for attention from Fluttershy, and a pegasus-turned-human who was fidgeting under Sunset’s gaze, playing with the straps of her backpack.

“Okay, so…this was a school project?” Rainbow Dash asked once the four had finished explaining everything. She let out a grunt as she crossed her arms. “Glad to know that we’ve been upgraded from being Equestria’s dumping ground for villains, at least.”

“Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy objected. “I’m sure our friends on the other side of the portal don’t think about us like that.”

“I dunno, you heard them: that Star Swirl guy is apparently still around…”

And is a jerk,” the dog, Smolder, insisted. She waved a paw at herself. “Look at this! Why do only ponies get turned into humans?”

Sunset sighed. “I have no idea, you’ll have to ask him.” She crossed her arms as well, looking between the four. “Personally I’d think a bigger problem is breaking into Princess Twilight’s castle and using the portal without permission.”

“Did you have permission?” Cozy asked curiously.

I was a messed-up foal with delusions of grandeur, unlike you four,” Sunset said. “I mean, come on, all this for school? How bad do your grades have to be to make this seem like a good idea?”

“My grades are fine!” Ocellus insisted, then wilted when she realized that it didn’t exactly help her case. She was sitting on the ground, and tucked her knees up against her chest, hiding a little behind them.

“I only overheard Counselor Starlight talking about it,” Cozy said, “I just thought it sounded cool. A whole world on the other side of a mirror! But then…” she trailed off, looking to Gallus and Smolder nervously.

The two looked back, and sighed as one. Gallus nodded. “It was our idea,” Gallus admitted. “And…yeah, okay, we do have a project on foreign magic due in a couple days. And we figured that if we did it on a race no creature has ever heard of before…”

“You’d get accused of making stuff up and fail?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“But Princess Twilight knows you guys exist!” Smolder objected.

“And most of Equestria doesn’t,” Sunset pointed out. “Couldn’t you draw any conclusions from that?”

The four interlopers looked between each other. Ocellus just folded up on herself more where she was sitting on the ground, burying her face in her knees and hugging herself tightly. Smolder let out a very canine whine, flopping onto her stomach, while Gallus used the alula of one wing to continuously poke himself in the forehead. Cozy Glow chewed nervously on her knuckles and clutched her backpack even tighter.

“I – I d-don’t want to get expelled…” Ocellus stuttered. “The changelings have c-come so far…I only w-wanted to spend time with my friends…”

Smolder, Gallus, and Cozy all moved in and hugged Ocellus tightly, trying to cheer her up. Fluttershy, meanwhile, came up alongside Sunset, looking at her pointedly. Sunset couldn’t even match the gaze for a moment before she let out a sigh, turning back to the four interlopers. “It’s…okay, listen,” she said, getting their attention. “I’ll go back through the portal with you and talk to Princess Twilight, make sure she doesn’t do anything too bad. You did want to do a school project so, really, she’ll probably let you all off with only a month’s detention or something.”

“Or even less,” Rainbow Dash observed with a knowing smirk. Sunset shot her a glare, but the blue girl only shrugged. “What? You know it’s true.” She clasped her hands beside her face. “‘Oh my Celestia! My students cared so much about their grades that they crossed whole worlds! And they did it together because their friendship is so strong!’ That’s her. That’s how she’ll sound.”

Chuckles from the four interlopers confirmed the likelihood of that, and even Sunset had to laugh a little as well. “Okay…yeah, you’re probably right. But…” she looked back to the four. “As for the project…sorry, can’t help you there. You can’t do your project on human magic because humans don’t have magic. Rainbow Dash has super-speed, and I can read minds and Fluttershy can talk to animals, but that’s because Equestrian magic leaks into this world.”

“But those…those Pomme things?” Cozy asked.

“Phones. They’re a kind of advanced technology.” Sunset shook her head. “Sorry, humans make do without magic. It took some getting used to for me as well, I thought that so much here was magic, but…”

The four stared uncomprehendingly. Gallus finally broke the silence. “Oh come on!” He exclaimed. “You mean I got my wing broken and I’m down twenty-five bits for nothing?! I don’t – what is this even gonna be like back in Equestria, is it gonna be my wing, or one of my paws, or both, or…?”

Sunset shook her head. “Come on, let’s find out – and get you four home.” She pointed at the portal. “In you go.”

They stood, Gallus being picked up by Ocellus, and walked towards the portal. “Maybe advanced enough technology is magic…” Gallus tried.

“I don’t think that’ll work with Headmare Twilight,” Smolder said.

“I’ll help you two pick something else,” Ocellus promised.

Then the four were through the portal. Sunset sighed rubbing her eyes. She felt Fluttershy’s hand on her shoulder. “At least this time there wasn’t some big crisis,” she reminded Sunset, smiling.

Sunset returned the smile. “Yeah, you have a point. There was a lot less running around and worrying about the end of the world than normal. Just some harmless kids.”


Headmare Twilight had said that she was disappointed in the four of them for using the magical portal without permission, of course, even if it was for a school project. But when she’d learned the reasons, and with Sunset there to smooth things over, she’d only settled on a week’s detention, as well as insisting that the four of them better have very good projects…but the fact that she’d shown interest in Gallus’ suggestion that maybe human technology was their magic had resulted in a notable glint in her eye and a request for him to elaborate. He’d seen his opportunity and pitched his idea, theorizing what a world without magic would develop like, getting help from Sunset…and then stopping a few minutes into it, saying that it was a shame that it couldn’t be a full project and he’d just have to do it on diamond dogs or breezies or something.

It had worked like a charm. Twilight had said that Smolder and Gallus could do their project on humans. Ocellus stuck with the project on the yogi of yetis that she was doing with Silverstream, while Cozy had partnered with Sandbar to do a project on buffalo and their shamans. Fortunately the project wasn’t one that had to be presented to the class, so humans could remain secret.

But that wasn’t what mattered to Cozy Glow.

Nopony, or any creature for that matter, had noticed the backpack-turned-saddlebags she’d been wearing when she came back to Equestria, but hadn’t left with. Sunset Shimmer hadn’t known that the backpack had been a new acquisition to start with, of course, and Gallus, Smolder, and Ocellus had been too busy with their own concerns and emotions. Cozy played it completely cool as a cucumber for the entire dressing-down that Twilight had given them, and during Cozy’s extended apology.

The apology was important, or more specifically, the fact that Cozy didn’t once try to shift blame or downplay what she’d done. That meant what she’d done was an honest mistake. Anypony could have done it, and Cozy was sorry, wasn’t she? So it showed that she knew what she’d done was wrong, and she’d learned her lesson, and so she could be trusted. In fact, her honest repentance, if anything, made her even more trustworthy.

Just like she’d hoped.

That night, Cozy snuggled into the top bunk of her dorm room, firefly lantern beside her under the covers while she hugged her mountain of stuffed toys close. She had her new saddlebags under the covers with her, and she took out everything she’d procured from the human world. Mostly, they were books: The Way Things Work. A Student’s Guide to Analytical Mechanics. A Brief History of Time. A Short History of Nearly Everything. The Prince. Power Force Six volumes one thru three, because she was still a filly and so occasionally needed a break from work.

And most significantly, she pulled out her brand new laptop computer, turned it on, opened up its disc drive, and put in the compact disk containing the Encyclopedia Atlantica, just like how she’d been shown how to by the helpful store clerks that she’d visited once she’d managed to get away from the other three. The power on the laptop wouldn’t last forever, but she was sure she could find some way to charge it in Equestria.

While she was waiting for the Encyclopedia Atlantica to install, she scrolled over to the Games section, and opened up the Chess program.

White or Black? The computer asked her.

Cozy chose black, and grinned. “Your move,” she informed it.

Author's Note:

No, the chapter title isn't me having some kind of mental breakdown. It's algebraic notation for chess. A Google search should yield relevant results.

Comments ( 86 )

Except for Power Force Six, all of those books are actual books, by the way, although of them I've only read The Prince. Encyclopedia Atlantica is meant to be a Britannica stand in, obviously.

This story is fun for the teenagers’ interactions, of course, but it primarily exists as me flexing my ability to write Cozy Glow. Cozy Glow's Tales of Revenge was a short little crack fic thrown together over the course of about 24 hours just in case I didn't finish this because I wanted somthing for the Discovery contest, but this is the "real" thing I wanted to work on, and a more serious attempt at plumbing Cozy's character. Or rather, creating it basically wholesale. Thanks, Haber.

10075512
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that you can post this in the Author's Note.

TCC56 #3 · Feb 9th, 2020 · · ·

I'm not sure if my favorite line is

That was when the three learned that human screams sounded almost exactly like pony ones.

or

"I am going to friendship the heck out of them.” She paused outside of a sporting goods store, ran in and grabbed an aluminum baseball bat, and ran back out while promising to pay for it later. “So much friendship…”

Aww, thanks for the credit but this one was really all you.

I still want to imagine the students shared that bus with Kirk and Spock as they were out looking for whales and knocking out punks blasting their boomboxes. Favorite parts would have to be Gallus and Smolder's back and forth throughout. They take shots at each other, but I like that Gallus recognized when he crossed a line on his own and worked to fix it, unprompted.

Full points to EQG Dash for being right on the money. Also, Starswirl is a colossal dick. Just putting that out there.

Also, that ending. I want to see Cozy Glow vs. R.J. MacReady, GO!

This was a fun ride and I think it worked better with the smaller, tighter focus. And you still got it finished in time! Congrats!

Sunset's life, eh? Although they do have a point - at least they weren't here to take over the world (as far as she knows).

Sending Cozy to the human world is a solution I've rarely seen exercised, by the way, perhaps because they've Pinkie promised not to dump any more villains on them. Just saying...

10075614
Interesting. So do they lay eggs or give birth, and are hippogriffs the same?

10075614
Griffon regurgitation makes total sense.

Have you figured out weird things for all of the Student Six?

Translation of title: Fool's Mate

Mica #9 · Feb 9th, 2020 · · ·

I love Cozy Glow's characterization in this story. Her actions aren't exactly evil but show hints of her devious personality. The idea of her as a chess fanatic also makes a lot of sense. Also very clever with that chapter title. :rainbowderp:

This was fun, the characters were well-written and accurate. It's a shame that Cozy most likely won't be keeping that laptop.

“ I was a messed-up foal with delusions of grandeur, unlike you four,” Sunset said. “I mean, come on, all this for school? How bad do your grades have to be to make this seem like a good idea?”

Sunset sure is being hard on herself, but at least Equestria has no more foals that match that description.

folding up sushi

Small detail but you roll sushi, you don't fold it. Unless you're making one of these:
realfood.tesco.com/media/images/RFO-1400x919-SushiSandwich-mini-8f79f22c-2c62-4468-ab71-7a3e107c8e21-0-1400x919.jpg

And most significantly, she pulled out her brand new laptop computer, turned it on, opened up its disc drive, and put in the compact disk containing the Encyclopedia Atlantica,

Can you still easily get laptops with CD drives? Second hand I could maybe see. Although maybe the Equestria Girls universe is a bit behind ours maybe 5-10 years.

Power Force Six volumes one thru three, because she was still a filly and so occasionally needed a break from work.

I can't exactly see this as Cosy's preferred reading material, I could see her enjoying something like Babysitters club or Goosebumps.

I'm sort of surprised Sunset didn't pick up some troubling vibes from Cozy is a sort of 'takes one to know one' way.

10076054
That and the fact that the battery charge will be gone in about 4 to 6 hours and while equestrian has electricity who knows what the plugs and voltage/current its running at.

The only reason this anime works is that the main protag has gods gift that it wont ever run down.:pinkiehappy:

Great work on this story. It was very funny, I can totally see Cozy doing what she did.

Ocellus stuck with the project on the yogi of yetis that she was doing with Silverstream

You mean the Yeti Pinkie ran into from Party Pooped or the Storm King's race?

Fluttershy, it doesn't matter what they think.

You still have teenagers cleaning up a still living Archmages mess.

Their actions aren't adding up.

10076213 Yes, you can still get them with CD/DVD drives. I have one only a year old.

I also got a backup CD/DVD drive, since it only cost $12. Now I shall always be able to play my DVDs! Even when the Coronal Mass Ejection hits and wipes out the entire Internet!

(Alondro watches the grid explode from his hidden hermit cave deep in the NJ Pine Barrens. "At last! There's time! All the time in the world..." Plugs in his DVD drive and places his laptop on a stump to watch his "Interspecies Reviewers" DVD... uhm... for research purposes... BUT THEN!! A crazed deer plows into his laptop! "That... that's not fair! There was time now!")

:pinkiecrazy:

I'm always a sucker for more multiversal shenanigans, and Cozy actually interacting with the Student Six in an at least somewhat positive way is a rare treat. Plus we get to see how more species interact with the portal (or, in Ocellus's case, don't. Makes sense. I imagine it's very hard to transform changelings against their will.) Fantastic work all around. Thank you for it!

Though now I find myself wondering if Twilight will eventually add Human Studies to the Friendship School curriculum. Professor Shimmer will guide you through experiences you've never dreamed of... and that's as much a warning as a promise.

10076730
That's basically invading and avoiding contact with another nation at that point.

As a Princess, she really should not be doing that unless she want's to make Starswirls stupidity look like a hand in a cookie jar.

That was really good, thanks for the good bedtime read :)

10076730
It would be a very bad idea to add human studies without actually cooperating with the human nation she's been...going to....

10075665
I mean, that's the surface (and possibly the actual) meaning of her cutiemark.

I think the only thing really missing here is Sunset getting a eerie feeling from Cozy. Should've realized she was a bit off from her own experiences. If not her then...someone giving her a look and not buying it. Would've made things a tad more interesting. Also maybe a purchase of like the anarchists cookbook or something would've been a nice add to the 'scary book collection'. Or ones on nuclear weapons. Could've taken that further. Beyond that a very entertaining read. Just wish it was longer.

Don’t read The Prince. It’s not as good as it’s hyped up to be.

Puppy Smolder is seriously one of the cutest things ever

“Or even less,” Rainbow Dash observed with a knowing smirk. Sunset shot her a glare, but the blue girl only shrugged. “What? You know it’s true.” She clasped her hands beside her face. “‘Oh my Celestia! My students cared so much about their grades that they crossed whole worlds! And they did it together because their friendship is so strong!’ That’s her. That’s how she’ll sound.”

That's totally how she'll sound, all right. :rainbowlaugh:

"I’m down twenty-five bits for nothing?!"

Y'know, even though Gallus is right and they were grifted...that's still pretty good, getting a couple grand out of what would be, to them, basically a mere twenty-five(ish) bucks.

"I don’t – what is this even gonna be like back in Equestria, is it gonna be my wing, or one of my paws, or both, or…?”

Which was it? You don't actually say, and now I wanna know, because you broached the subject but didn't give me an answer, dang it! :rainbowlaugh:

10076213
Oh, I could totally see Cozy as a Goosebumps reader. That seems very much her speed. :trixieshiftleft:

And yes, it's quite common still to get CD/DVD players on laptops still, especially higher end ones. So long as DVDs remain a thing, I suspect they will continue to do so for awhile longer still.

10077315 10076459 10076213
So, fun fact about the CD drive thing...my roommate has been having a heck of a time with his laptop and getting one with a CD drive. He's been frustrated by everyone saying that it's still possible to get one with a drive since he's been told by a bunch of people that it isn't. Me, I've been amused.

10077315
Hmm...hang on, I'm gonna roll a die...and the result is...wing, it's just his wing.

10077211
Yeah, I'd love to get a pic of Smolder as a sheltie. They're my favorite dog breed, plus they're known for their loyalty. It seemed like a good fit for her.

10077208
On the other hand it might explain why they're grumpy all the time.

10077148
Like I said, I have read it. It's actually among my favorite non-fiction books.

10077037
Can you even generally buy the Anarchist's Cookbook? In any event, the books were chosen to take into account Cozy's Season 8 end goal. She wanted to create a world without magic, but something's gonna need to replace it. More on that below.

10076935 10075949
I think one of the first things you really need to take into account with Equestria Girls is that it doesn't make sense. It just plain doesn't. There's timeline issues, the world is kind of ridiculous when you try and examine it, none of the girls make any attempt to hide that they have magical powers and yet there aren't like guys in Haz-mat suits showing up or any government trying to regulate what's going on...

10076901
I'd also love a pic of Ocellus wearing the outfit that I see her in. She's never worn clothes before! So she kind of overcompensated by instead putting on layers and layers. With no color coordination whatsoever. I imagine her most strongly resembling the Sixth Doctor.

10076819
In absolute fairness to Star Swirl, we only know about one (group) of villains he dumped in Equestria. Clover ditched the memory stone on Earth, then Sunset banished herself there. But that being said, it's kinda' funny to imagine Dougworld as a cosmic garbage dump.

10076730
Now there's an interesting story idea, actually...

10076255
Storm King's race, in my mind. I'm seeing the Yogi as being like monks or something with cool chakra powers.

10076253
Well, it is Saturday, so I figured there wasn't anyone there to see the briefly naked human Ocellus. That being said, yeah, I never write ponies or anyone from Equestria as having any kind of nudity taboo. An early story of mine, Helping...Hands?, features Lyra transformed into a human for all of it, and she spends most of it naked, but none of the characters have any reaction to that in and of itself. The innocent fanservice girl (or guy) trope is just funny to me. I blame reading Love Hina when I was a teen.

10076218
THE ENRICHMENT CENTER REMINDS YOU THAT ALTHOUGH CIRCUMSTANCES MAY APPEAR BLEAK, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. ALL APERTURE SCIENCE DEVICES WILL REMAIN FUNCTIONAL IN APOCALYPTIC, LOW POWER ENVIRONMENTS OF AS FEW AS 1.1 VOLTS.

10076140
Made the edit! Thanks for the correction.

10076126
My idea is that anything with a hoof becomes a human, while anything without a hoof becomes something else. So Yona and Silverstream both become humans - at least while Silverstream is in hippogriff form. In seapony form, she'd become, I dunno, maybe an otter. I wouldn't want her to become something that would outright die on land, though. Oh, but also Silverstream's magical necklace would still work in Dougworld, and if she crosses over as a hippogriff and thus becomes a human, she can use the pearl to transform into a mermaid.

10076054
Eh, you never know, I might have her still have it in later stories. With no Internet access there is a limit to how much she could actually do with it.

10075783
Whale Thieves of the 23rd Century is probably my third-favorite Trek movie.

10075665
Yeah, I tried to put a lot of little things here and there to suggest that she has a devious plan to anyone reading, what her goal was. That being said I didn't put in Sunset suspecting that anything was up with her because, well, Cozy's entire thing is being able to do things very on the down-low, and she really doesn't have any nefarious plans other than "acquire reading material". Sunset just didn't have an opportunity to notice anything was up, and I'd like to think that she doesn't make a habit out of reading minds when she has no reason (especially seeing as the sincere contrition of Gallus, Ocellus, and Smolder might throw her off).

10075634
Hmm...

Sandbar: Mammals are gross.
Yona: Mammals are gross, Honestly these two are the hardest to try and think up anything "gross" for, especially seeing as ponies are human stand-ins.
Smolder: Still working on it.
Ocellus; Autocannibalism. That is, she molts...and then eats her complete molt. Plus, y'know, the gross oozes she can spit up.
Gallus: Obviously he doesn't have any chicks to regurgitate food for, but as the most predatory species of the Young Six I actually like to imagine that he'll occasionally go hunting for small animals. Fluttershy-approved hunting, of course. The carnivory definitely unnerves Sandbar and Yona, anyway.
Silverstream: Still working on her, too.

10075626
I figure they're egg-layers, and hippogriffs too.

10075588
Even just serving as a sounding board was a huge help, dude. And yeah, writing Gallus and Smolder going at each other was fun.

10075577
I drew a bit on Buffy the Vampire Slayer for my take on Sunset. She's a hero, and she's not a reluctant one, but she does kind of wish that maybe the bad guys would pick a more convenient time to do their things.

10077535

Ok, I guess charging the thing will probably be more of an issue than the CD Drive. As a Pegasus she might have a bit of an affinity for electricity but she doesn't have much of a chance to trial and error the charge before damaging it.

10077535

I think one of the first things you really need to take into account with Equestria Girls is that it doesn't make sense. It just plain doesn't. There's timeline issues, the world is kind of ridiculous when you try and examine it, none of the girls make any attempt to hide that they have magical powers and yet there aren't like guys in Haz-mat suits showing up or any government trying to regulate what's going on...

This is explained in Magical Girl Theory 101, Chapter 3: Existing as a Teen Superheroine in a Political Vacuum. Or "How come nobody notices I just blew up the park?!"


Most theories suggest that Magical Girls emit something akin to a Vogon's "Somebody Else's Problem Field".

10077535
I bought 2 new laptops last summer - one with a drive, one without. Pity I kept the latter...

And Cozy is lucky Sunset doesn't abuse her powers.

Didn't mention this in my first comment, but I love how the one thing that immediately arouses the suspicion of (almost) any humans is a talking dog, as per the first movie.

10076819 10076935
I find it interesting how you both assumed Twilight wouldn't cooperate with the locals in this plan. The kids had a lot of wrong ideas, but one thing they did have right is that humans don't attend the School of Friendship.

Yet.

10077535 He could just try to go into a store or online and, ya know, LOOK AT WHAT'S AVAILABLE.

But I know, doing things for oneself is an old-fashioned concept in this EVIL AND DIABOLICAL WORLD SOCIALIST NEW WORLD ORDER THAT I MUST DESTROY WITH ALL THE WEAPONS!!! :pinkiecrazy:

10077535

I'd also love a pic of Ocellus wearing the outfit that I see her in. She's never worn clothes before! So she kind of overcompensated by instead putting on layers and layers. With no color coordination whatsoever. I imagine her most strongly resembling the Sixth Doctor

Oh sweet cheese and crackers, the Colin Baker outfit...I'll never forget SF Debris' description of it. "The costume designer was told to make something absolutely tasteless and, in a fit of sarcasm, he succeeded."

At least Ocellus won't respond to her transformation by going mad and trying to strangle her companions.

Let me guess, Queen’s Raid, the slayer of every noob in chess club. It’s a pity Ocellus never made it to the bookstore, I would have loved to see what she would think. Twilight would love to go to a human bookstore! A pity nobody has written a story wherein they our favorite book horse examines classic works from human literature.
This was an interesting story. It’s neat to see Cozy interacting with the student 6 more. It makes her betrayal in the finale more stinging. I enjoyed the way Smolder, Ocellus, and Gallus were written. Sunset was a wonderful surprise. As for Cozy, she falls out of focus towards the end, and we’re never sure what’s she’s thinking. The bit where she haggles with the gold seller was great. Does Cozy say “golly” every sentence on the show? It seems like she says that every other line in this story.
I’ve read “The Prince” and “A Brief History of Time.” I have “The Way Things Work,” but haven’t read that one yet.
Look forward to your next story!

10077535
Okay, thanks for the answer.

10077535

Whale Thieves of the 23rd Century is probably my third-favorite Trek movie.

Yeah, it's high on my list of Trek faves too. It's whole premise is pretty silly when you get right down to it, but darn it if you can't still enjoy the whole film anyway. :pinkiehappy:

10077791
Considering she only cooperated with a school teacher and continued to avoid contact with the actual nations I'd say it's expected.

After all a principle is not a countries ruler.

Then theres all the garbage they dumped into the human world, and the damages they'd cause...

Twilight's not the one walking into the meeting with a high horse, she's the one being brought up to clean the mess her Predecessors set her up for.

“ And is a jerk,” the dog, Smolder, insisted. She waved a paw at herself. “Look at this! Why do only ponies get turned into humans?”

Smolder speaks for me. At this point I'd pay money for a fic where Star Swirl gets his jaw jacked over this shit by someone returning from the portal.

Anyway, a good fic. Cozy... ah, how I loathe thee and wish for you to get your comeuppance. :p Again, it's me. You know it's me. Do you want me any other way, RDD? ;)


10077535

Whale Thieves of the 23rd Century is probably my third-favorite Trek movie.

What would be the first and second? Gonna guess Wrath of Khan is among the number.

10078219
Unfortunately, here in the US, anyone who is undocumented and suspected of being in the country illegally, are more often than not, detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The Trump administration has even gone so far as to take steps to hold people indefinitely. In July of 2019 Francisco Erwin Galicia, 18, was born in Dallas, has a US birth certificate, and is an American citizen, was held in federal immigration custody for nearly four weeks after he was detained at a Border Patrol traffic checkpoint in South Texas.

There is what's supposed to happen, and then there is the unfortunate reality of Immigration enforcement here in the US.

10079036 10078219

I feel a need to step in at the moment and stress that the Equestria Girls world isn't our world. No one is going to be detained for weeks anywhere.

Cute story, and I had totally forgotten about Cozy Glow near the end... just like she wanted!

10077535

none of the girls make any attempt to hide that they have magical powers and yet there aren't like guys in Haz-mat suits showing up or any government trying to regulate what's going on...

It's weird that I'm always reading stories about how Sunset Shimmer and the Equestrians need to hide their existence from the human government, otherwise a menacing secret agency will show up, abduct any strange and threatening-looking creatures, and stick them in a black site for the rest of their lives. Except we never see the human government do that, but that's exactly what we see the pony government do back in Equestria!

MJP

Isn't cozy glow evil now

10079454
Like I said in the story’s description, this takes place during Season 8. Specifically given that the Mane-6 are mentioned to be on a camping trip, it takes place during the episode “The Mean Six”. So Cozy’s true nature isn’t known yet to anyone except Tirek.

10078199
Oh, I forgot to respond to this. Hang on, I’ll do the list. As a reminder, this is a list of favorites based on personal enjoyment, and has nothing to do with the actual quality of the movie.

1. Star Trek VI: The One with the Klingon that Quotes Shakespeare
2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of KHAAAAAAAAN!!!
3. Star Trek IV: Whale Thieves of the 23rd Century
4. Galaxy Quest: the Best Star Trek Movie Never Made (counted as Star Trek X)
5. Star Trek XIV: Classical Music
6. Star Trek V: The One where God Needs a Starship
7. Star Trek VII: The One with Both Captains
8. Star Trek III: The Best Odd-Numbered Trek
9. Star Trek XII: The One that Rebooted the Franchise
10. Star Trek VIII: The One with the Borg
11. Star Trek XI: The One that Killed the Franchise
12. Star Trek XIII: The Wrath of Khan II: Electric Boogaloo
13. Star Trek: the Slow Motion Picture
14. Star Trek IX: The One with the Manual Steering Column

10079713
Heh, I like the descriptors! General agreement with the rankings too.

I also agree with inserting Galaxy Quest since that maintains the even-odd pattern of good-bad Trek films. Though, as SF Debris pointed out, the real secret to (non-Kelvin) Trek films is that they're bad whenever one of the main characters sings: Final Frontier ("Row Row Your Boat"), Generations ("Lifeforms"), Insurrection ("A British Tar"), Nemesis ("Blue Skies"). The Slow-Motion Picture is the exception but only because singing would only distract from the boredom.

Also, ugh, Insurrection and the stupid manual-control...

Riker: Riker to engineering, I need quarters! Lots of quarters!

Cozy Glow getting a hold of those specific books does not bode well for Equestria. Or anywhere else for that matter.

10080135
I should mention that everything from entries 11 thru 14 is in my “unwatchably bad” pile, I.e., I will not watch them even if there’s nothing else on, unless there’s another Trekkie in the room and we feel like MST3K’ing it.

7 thru 10 are “I will watch them if there’s nothing else more interesting on”. First Contact is dragged down on that list mostly because I really dislike the concept of the Borg Queen and what her existence ended up doing to the Borg in Voyager. If First Contact had been the last Trek thing with Borg in it, however, I’d like it a lot more and appreciate the Borg Queen a lot more.

Also all the scenes on Earth are great and I love them.

Entries 1 thru 6 are “I will watch them in preference to other good movies”. Yup, even Trek V gets that honor, it’s so awful that I love it and can’t not tune in.

10078150
Good to mention the...mess. I'm suprised the humans haven't approached after the videos started circulating, but how could they? They don't know about the mirror or that the ponies are responsible for dangerous artifacts.

Seriously the whole "chunking shit through the portal" thing is a political nightmare.

10081765
Again, in the interest of fairness, we only know of two times that it happened, both of them more than a thousand years ago from the pony perspective. Sunset Shimmer wasn’t chucked through, she exiled herself with Celestia trying to stop her.

10081769
I meant artifacts and exiles, not sunset

Login or register to comment