• Published 22nd Dec 2019
  • 922 Views, 152 Comments

TimberTwi Tales: First Impressions - CapNTilfy



Twilight Sparkle and Timber Spruce have had chaotic lives, and now their paths cross... TimberTwi Tales #2

  • ...
33
 152
 922

First Contact

Timber and Gloriosa left their cabin and began making their way to the outdoor stage. Timber glanced worriedly at Gloriosa's geode necklace.

Gloriosa glared at Timber. "Not. A. Word."

Timber narrowed his eyes. "'I've got this," he said mockingly with exaggerated hand gestures.

"If you weren't the only family I had, I'd-"

"You'd what," Timber asked in a challenging tone as he folded his arms. "Imprison me in a cage of thorns?" He scoffed. "Yeah, that's a healthy way of dealing with your problems."

Gloriosa barked a mirthless laugh. "That's rich, coming from you! Mister spends all day in his room feeling sorry for himself!"

She isn't wrong.

"You know what?" Timber shook with fury. "We don't have time for this. Let's just get on the stage, get this week over with, and speak to each other as little as possible."

"Fine by me." Gloriosa stormed over to the stage ahead of Timber.


Twilight got off the bus, followed by Sunset, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Applejack.

"So," Sunset said. "Ever been camping before?"

Twilight shook her head. "Closest I ever came to camping was right in our backyard with Shining Armor. How about you?"

Sunset put a hand behind her head. "Well... I guess you could say I camped out a lot during my first couple of years around here."

"Sunset, you don't have to go into details if it makes you uncomfortable."

Sunset smiled warmly and put a hand on Twilight's shoulder. "I appreciate the thought, but I want you to know as much about me as possible. It's part of friendship, after all." She took a deep breath and sighed. "When I entered this world, I had no place to go to, so I spent a majority of my time outside."

"That must have been awful."

"You have no idea, Twilight. You have no idea."

Rarity sighed. "I'm just after some R&R. The past year has all been a bit too much for my tastes."

"I'll say," Pinkie said. "We fought three evil sirens who tried to hypnotize everybody with their singing, one ridiculously competitive rival school, and two demon friends!"

Twilight felt a twinge of guilt and looked away. She didn't think she'd ever live that incident down!

"Uh," Pinkie laughed nervously. "No offense."

"None taken," Sunset said as she grabbed Twilight. "You'll get used to it." She lightly punched Twilight on the arm.

"Yup," Applejack said. "Canterlot High has become a regular magic magnet. Gonna be nice gettin' away to a place where we don't have to worry about that kinda stuff."

A blue haired student ran up to Twilight with her bag. "Here you go, Twilight."

"Thanks," Twilight said as she took her bag. "It's... Flash, right?"

"Yup, that's me! And you're you. And we don't know each other very well." He muttered something unintelligible under his breath.

"Right," Twilight said as she adjusted her glasses. "I guess I'll... see you around." She watched Flash away as she bit her lip. And she thought she could be awkward!

"You know how there's that girl who looks just like you when she's here but lives in another dimension and she's a pony princess," Sunset asked.

"Uh-huh," Twilight nodded.

"Flash kinda had a... thing for her."

"Oh."

Suddenly, the sound of feedback from the PA system filled the air, hurting the ears of all on the premises.

"Hey, everyone," A cheerful female voice said. "If you could start heading to the courtyard, that would be rad! It's time to start the best week of camp ever!"


Timber gave Gloriosa an incredulous look. "'Rad'? Seriously? Who the hell even says that anymore?"

Gloriosa put her hands on her hips and scowled. "Oh, and I suppose you would've come up with something better?"

"Well I sure wouldn't have said something as outdated as 'rad'," Timber said as he rolled his eyes.

Gloriosa scoffed. "You're just saying that because you wouldn't know what to say!"

You probably would've said something worse.

Timber grunted in frustration and handwaved Gloriosa away.

Moments later, campers began to assemble in the courtyard and Gloriosa walked up on stage for all to see her.

"Hi, everyone! Welcome to Camp Everfree! I'm Gloriosa Daisy, your camp director! Think of me as your friendly camp and nature guide. And this is my brother, Timber Spruce!"

Timber took the microphone. "Think of me as that awesome guy who should always be invited to fun things." He handed the microphone back to Gloriosa.

"We aim to please, so before we hand out our tent assignments, we'd like to hear from all of you. You're free to do whatever you like here."

"Uh," Timber said, as he walked forward. "Except hike near the rock quarry. That's off-limits."

"Y-Yes, but otherwise, your options are wide open. So what activities will make this the very best week of your lives ever?" Gloriosa took suggestions from several campers for a few moments, then stopped. "I'll be taking requests the rest of the time you're here, so if there's anything you'd like to do, anything you need, just ask."

Timber glanced offstage and noticed Twilight.

Twilight felt heat rise to her face, and the sight of her blush caused Timber to smile genuinely for the first time in months as his heart skipped a beat.

Maybe Timber should get to know her. Nobody ever made him smile just by looking at him!

Twilight continued to smile at Timber. He didn't look half bad! Maybe she should look into him.

"What about the camp gift," Principal Celestia asked. "That was my favorite Camp Everfree tradition."

"The camp gift," Gloriosa exclaimed. "Of course!"

"Really," Timber whispered inquiringly.

"Yes, really," Gloriosa whispered back.

"Well, I just thought-"

"Then you thought wrong!"

Wouldn't be the first time.

Back on the ground, Sunset whispered to Pinkie and Twilight. "Anyone else picking up on a little tension between Gloriosa and her brother?"

Pinkie and Twilight made noncommittal noises.

"A little," Pinkie followed up.

"Every year, campers work together to create something useful," Gloriosa explained. "A gift for future campers. Working toward this common goal is key to forming the strong bonds that will last well beyond your time here at camp!" She covered the mic and glared at Timber. "Which is why it's so important." She turned her attention back to the campers. "This gazebo was a gift from last year's group," she said, looking up at the stage they were standing on. Oh, oh, oh, and the totem pole and the sundial were also made by campers!" She pointed to a totem pole off in the distance and a sundial that sat nearby Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna.

"The sundial was our year's gift," Celestia chimed in.

Luna coughed. "Even though 'some people' thought it was a little impractical, since the sundial can't be used at night."

Gloriosa laughed awkwardly. "You all seem like a-a really amazing group. So I'm certain you'll come up with something inspiring to leave behind."

"Speaking of leaving things behind," Timber said. "Now's the time when we give out tent assignments so you can leave your heavy bags behind."

The boys got their assigned tents from Gloriosa, and the girls got theirs from Timber.

"Sapphire," Sunset said.

"Me, too," Twilight said as she took out her card. "I mean, I'm assuming I am." She laughed awkwardly. "Technically, sapphires aren't just blue. They can be pink, purple, yellow..."

Timber smiled as he approached Twilight. She seemed pretty knowledgeable, and he hadn't had an intelligent discussion with anyone for quite some time. "Yeah, but they're mostly blue. That's why they're named after the Latin word 'sapphirus'."

Twilight folded her arms with a smile. Not only was Timber kind of cute, he's also smart!

"That means 'blue'," Timber whispered.

"I know," Twilight whispered back. "But did you know that sapphires are just rubies without chromium?"

"No," Timber said, genuinely surprised. He reached to get the card back from Twilight, and accidentally touched her hand.

Heat rose to both of their faces.

"But," Timber said as he took the card from Twilight. "Did you know that Sapphire Tent is the best one?"

"No," Twilight said in mild surprise. "Why is that?"

"Because you're in it," Timber said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Fuck, that was cheesy.

Twilight rolled her eyes with a smile. "Oh, I bet you say that to all the campers."

"Not true," Timber replied, then looked at a muscular pale white male. "You're in the ruby tent? Hah! That's the worst one!"

"Aww, man!," the camper yelled.

"I'm just joking, buddy," Timber said, making finger guns. "Ruby tent is great. It's like a sapphire, but with chromium."

The camper simply stared at Timber in confusion.

Twilight giggled. He was slightly awkward, but that made him all the more charming to her.

"But the Ruby and Coral Tents do look an awful lot alike to the undiscerning eye," Timber said. "I better show you where it is." He walked back to Twilight. "See ya around." He ran back to the other camper.

Twilight smiled as she watched Timber run, only to be brought back to reality by Rainbow's laughter. "What?"

Applejack laughed. "Nothin'."

"Ooh, that was adorable," Rarity said.

Gloriosa blew a whistle. "Okay, everyone, go get settled in. We'll be meeting at the docks in fifteen minutes to go over some camp safety rules. Let me know if you need anything!"

"I need something," An irritatingly familiar voice said.

Gloriosa turned her attention to a limousine where a man in a blue suit stood. His light blue eyes oozed contempt as he grinned smugly, and his red tie with a dollar sign blew in the breeze. "Oh, shit," she muttered under her breath. "Filthy Rich."