• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 1,474 Views, 41 Comments

The Story of a Royal Guard [OUTDATED] - Himntor



See: The Guard And His Sword

  • ...
3
 41
 1,474

Ponyville

First thing was packing. Sword Shield didn't have much, since he had been staying in a tent at the barracks. His parents had put his old things in one of Canterlot's storage facilities in case he ever needed anything, so that's where he headed, first gathering a few belongings from his tent. He found the correct storage garage holding his stuff. Inside were cardboard boxes with childhood toys, pictures and memories, and also his old bed and dresser. Sword Shield gave a nostalgic sigh and put the rest of his things inside the boxes, also putting his sword on the ground in a clear area.

Sword Shield then left the storage garage and trotted his way to the train station with nothing but the armor on his backside, and took the train to Ponyville. The train ride took a few hours, giving him time to plan out the day. When the train arrived at Ponyville he stepped off in search of a cheap house for sale. After searching for another half hour he found a perfect two bedroom, one bathroom house with an office and main room to work with.

"Golden Eye to HQ, we have found a new home-base, over," thought Sword Shield as he looked around the empty house.

He bought it on the Royal Guard's tab, and as soon as he felt ready, he teleported himself all the way back to Canterlot, reappearing next to his sword at the storage center, which he left behind to act as a teleport beacon.

"Nifty, I'll have to do that more." thought Sword Shield.

He took his sword and transformed it into a large flat mat and slid it underneath all of his old stuff, then transformed the sword into a box to hold everything.

"This better work," thought Sword Shield as he carefully levitated his stuff out with his sword. He carefully climbed on top of the large 'box sword' and slowly levitated himself up high above Canterlot, then made his way towards Ponyville.

It was a slow flight, all the extra weight made flying all the more dangerous. Sword Shield managed to make it to Ponyville after sundown, landing his giant box of stuff next to his new home. He shaped his sword back to normal and looked at the big pile of junk on the ground with a sigh, "This is gonna take a while."

Sword Shield walked over to his door and opened it, the inside was completely dark, he walked in and searched for the light switch, when suddenly the light automatically switched on itself.

"SURPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!!!"

"WHAT IN CELESTIA'S NAME!?" exclaimed Sword Shield, flying back out the door from sheer vocal force.

He quickly walked back in his house and found almost the entire town's population inside. There were party decorations hung up all over the wall, with party tables and balloons and streamers. Sword Shield looked at the entire scene agape.

A pink coated earth mare suddenly popped out of no where, "Hi there! My name's Pinkie Pie, and I threw this party just for YOU! Were you surprised!? Were you, were you, were you!?"

Sword Shield stared at her, his eyes and ears twitching.

"Oh, were we too loud? Lemme try again," Pinkie Pie cleared her throat, "Surpriiiise!"

Sword Shield continued to be paralysed at the scene. He recognized a few of the ponies that were at the party, one of them was Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight walked up beside Pinkie and addressed the stunned Lieutenant, "You'll have to forgive Pinkie Pie, she always throws these parties for new ponies in town. I hope it's okay?"

Sword Shield remained frozen. Twilight waved her hoof in front of his face, "Helloooo, is anypony there?" No luck.

"Pinkie!!! You broke him!" another mare spoke up. It was the Rainbow maned pegasus from the Gala, Rainbow Dash.

"Well it's not my fault! I thought parties made ponies happy, not break them!" argued Pinkie.

"Well if you weren't so crazy in putting together these parties for new ponies, we wouldn't have that problem now would we? You invite us to these all the time," said Rainbow.

"Of course I do! How would any of us meet new ponies if I didn't? We have to be WELCOMING you know, otherwise new ponies won't like it here, and then they'll move away into the Everfree Forest and live as a hermit all alone with no friends and they'll be so sad for the rest of their lives!" Pinkie's logic was unbeatable.

"Um, girls... where'd he go?" asked Twilight.

The three of them looked where Sword Shield had previously been, but he had vanished into thin air.

Sword Shield was outside pacing around, thinking.

"Okay, trying to process what just happened. Came to Ponyville, bought a house, brought stuff from Canterlot to house, wanted to get started on moving it all in, suddenly huge gigantic party with the entire town inside my house."

The silence was broken by a familiar white coated unicorn mare, "Excuse me, are you alright?"

Sword Shield stopped in his tracks and looked at the mare, "Uh... I'm not sure. There is a giant party going on in my house, and I had no idea I invited anypony!"

"I see. You'll have to excuse my friend Pinkie Pie, she can be a little... overexcited at the sight of a new pony in town. I'm sure if you come inside and meet everypony it will be alright. I'm Rarity, by the way," introduced Rarity.

"Nice to meet you, Rarity. I'm Sword Shield," introduced Sword Shield.

"By the look of your armor, I assume you are a Royal Guard?" asked Rarity.

"Yes I am. How about I go inside and meet all your friends, I suppose I can tell you all about myself, since you seem interested," suggested Sword Shield.

"Wonderful idea! Come, I must introduce you to my friends!" Rarity practically dragged him back inside.

Rarity brought Sword Shield into the middle of the room and whispered some advice to him, "Now go on, introduce yourself. Pinkie Pie will take care of the rest."

Sword Shield looked awkwardly around the room, he wasn't used to social gatherings unless it was business. He cleared his throat and called for everyone's attention, the party settled down, the music stopped and even Pinkie Pie sat down to listen.

"Thank you for this great welcoming party you have all made for me, it was... unexpected to say the least, but I guess it's alright. I'm not normally used to parties like this, but I guess I can make an exception, and I suppose an introduction is required since I am new to Ponyville. My name is Sword Shield, and I am a Lieutenant of the Royal Guard from Canterlot. It is nice to meet you all."

"Woohoo! Welcome to Ponyville! These are all my friends," said Pinkie Pie, she pulled Sword Shield to meet each of her friends, "This is Twilight, she lives in the Ponyville Library and loves books."

"Nice to see you again, Sword Shield," said Twilight.

"Likewise, Ms. Sparkle," said Sword Shield.

Pinkie pulled him off again, "This is Applejack, she lives at Sweet Apple Acres and loves apples."

Sword Shield recognized Applejack from the Gala, "Howdy Mr. Shield, care fer some apples?" she asked, holding out a few.

"No thanks. I prefer carrots to be honest, they also help us guards with seeing better," answered Sword Shield.

"Suit yourself." Applejack tossed the apples in the air and ate them herself.

Pinkie pulled him off again, "This is Rainbow Dash, she's the best flier in all of Equestria!"

"That's right! What's up?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"The best flier in all of Equestria huh?" Sword Shield asked back.

"Thee one and only!" answered Rainbow, pulling a pose in mid air.

Sword Shield pulled out his sword and changed it to its surfboard shape and hopped on and pulled his own flying pose, "Are you sure?"

Rainbow stared at him with a hint of shock and awe, "You can fly on that thing?!"

"By 'fly' I suppose you mean use my magically enchanted sword to use as a flying surfboard? Beats me," answered Sword Shield while flying circles around Rainbow.

"Hmph, maybe some day we should have a competition, I've never faced a Royal Guard before, but you seem cool enough," suggested Rainbow.

"Thanks, but that'll have to wait, I'm very busy," Sword Shield flew back down to the floor and hopped off. Pinkie Pie immediately swept him off again.

"This is Fluttershy, she uh... hey, where did Fluttershy go!?" asked Pinkie. Fluttershy was no where in sight.

"She never came, remember? She had to stay at her cottage to tend to one of her animals that were injured," answered Twilight.

"Oh, right. You can meet her later," Pinkie brought Sword Shield to the last pony, "This is Rarity, she lives and works at the Carousel Boutique. She makes amazing dresses!"

"How do you do, Sword Shield?" asked Rarity with a slight bow.

"Just fabulous, thank you very much Miss Rarity," said Sword Shield in his most fancy voice and a bow of his own.

"Finally somepony else in this town who also speaks fabulosity!" exclaimed Rarity.

"My fabulosity is a bit rusty, so you'll have to excuse me. Even though I'm from Canterlot I was never big on the whole nobility thing." Sword Shield gave a faint chuckle.

"And we can't forget little Spike here either!" said Pinkie, pulling out Spike from the crowd.

Spike gave a small grunt, "Hey Sword Shield."

"Hey Spike. Gotten many donuts lately?" asked Sword Shield.

"Not many, thanks to somepony thinking I need to let up on my eating habits," answered Spike while glancing towards Twilight.

Pinkie Pie continued on for the rest of the night introducing every pony at the party to Sword Shield. He managed to play a few games as well, but soon after midnight everyone left and the party ended.

"Man, these Ponyville ponies sure know how to throw a party... Guess I have to get everything inside now," said Sword Shield exhausted.

He walked outside to the pile of stuff he left on the ground. He stared at it a few moments and looked up at the moon, realizing how late it was.

"Gah... I'll do it tomorrow." Sword Shield pulled out one of the sleeping mats he used in Canterlot and laid it on the floor in the front room. He shaped his sword into a protective box and put it over his stuff to keep safe for the night. As he walked back inside he realized what a mess the house was.

"Nice, more work for tomorrow," thought Sword Shield. He let out a sigh and laid down on his mat and went to sleep.

Morning came and the light shining through the windows woke Sword Shield immediately. He began to clean up the mess left by the party using his magic, sweeping the confetti out and taking down the streamers. Strangely enough the party tables that were set up the night before disappeared. Disappointing, as Sword Shield wanted to hopefully keep a few of those.

Once the house was back to it's normal empty self, Sword Shield walked outside to find his stuff, his sword was still keeping it all safe. He took the sword off and brought it back to its normal form and began to move everything inside, starting with the bed and dresser.

It took Sword Shield a short ten minutes to move everything inside using his magic, there wasn't much he had to begin with.

He put everything in an organized fashion, putting up his foalhood toys and trinkets around the house like decorations. Once everything was set up the house was still rather empty, only his room having furniture. The rest of the house would have to wait till later for furnishings, work needed to be done.

Sword Shield left home on his sword and searched the town of Ponyville for the best spot to put a Royal Guard outpost. He found an empty spot on the edge of town between the Everfree Forest and the Train Station. Perfect. He quickly headed over to the Town Hall to file the paperwork for the land rights and building materials.

He left on his sword for Canterlot, bringing the filed paperwork to Shining Armor and having him look over it. He makes a few minor adjustments and sends it to Celestia.

"Now it's only a matter of time to get the outpost built and guards set up down there. I want you to overlook its construction and make sure everything goes smoothly. I'll send guards in a week to run shifts at the new outpost," said Shining Armor.

"Yes sir." Sword Shield saluted and immediately flew back to Ponyville.

Construction of the new outpost only took a week, as Shining Armor had expected. Some of the locals had even volunteered to help. The new guards arrived and they were able to settle down at the outpost. Everything was taken care of.

Shining Armor had Sword Shield remain in Ponyville for the next few months, reporting in progress of the outpost and keeping the guards in check. It was a welcome change, as Sword Shield was allowed some time living more casually, only having to go back to Canterlot twice a week.

Ponyville was a fairly peaceful town, nothing much ever happened, besides Pinkie's crazy parties. One day while studying in his home office, Sword Shield's roof was ripped off by a dragon. He grabbed his sword and tried to fly to a safe distance, but the dragon managed to snatch him and his sword out of the air. The dragon dropped him and took his sword, knocking out Sword Shield from the impact of his fall.

When he woke up the dragon was gone and Ponyville was partially destroyed, along with one of his legs. He'd managed to break one of his front legs, after hesitating for a moment he pushed the bone back into the correct position, teeth grinding with pain the whole time. He teleported his sword back from who-knows-where and transformed it to use as a makeshift cast.

Sword Shield learned that Spike was the dragon which destroyed his roof, and that the whole thing was an accident. He let it fly for the time being, but warned Spike that he should be more careful next time.

He got a new cast on his left leg and used his sword to create a temporary roof for his house. He didn't bother hiring anyone to fix it, rather waiting to be able to do it himself. The weeks passed, Sword Shield's leg healed quickly with the help of doctor's medical magic and he was able to fix his roof.

During his time in Ponyville, Sword Shield had been pulled into a whole bunch of parties hosted by Pinkie Pie.

"So, do you like parties?" asked Pinkie Pie during one of her parties at Sugarcube Corner, "I mean, for a Royal Guard. You guys never seem to come to parties."

Sword Shield took a sip of fruit juice, "Well it depends. I'm not much of a party pony, normally I'm very busy working with the Captain and the Royal Guard. Only lately have I been able to come to any as I've been assigned watch over the guard outpost here in Ponyville, which isn't all too demanding."

Pinkie Pie thought for a moment, "So... is that a yes?"

Sword Shield chuckled, "Sure, that's a yes."

"Goody! Because I've got a whole lot more party where that came from!" said Pinkie excitedly.

"Glad to hear."

Suddenly the door burst open. A Pegasus Royal Guard walked in and over to Sword Shield and stood at salute. Sword Shield put down his drink and faced the guard with his own salute.

"Is something wrong?" asked Sword Shield, breaking his salute.

The guard lowered his hoof, "Your presence in Canterlot has been requested by Captain Shining Armor."

"Did he give a reason?"

"No reason was given, but he says it's urgent."

"Alright, I'll leave immediately. Return to your usual post," said Sword Shield. He teleported his sword to him and walked out the door.

"Wait wait wait!" a voice called from back inside. Pinkie Pie came rushing out.

"You're not leaving already are you? There's still more partying left to do!" said Pinkie.

"Sorry Pinkie, official business. I'll make it up to you later," promised Sword Shield as he transformed his sword to fly. He launched into the late afternoon sky towards Canterlot, wondering why the Captain needed to see him so urgently.

Author's Note:

Edit from the future: OH GOSH THIS CHAPTER IS HORRIBLE WHY ARE YOU READING THIS STORY? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. /endedit

This was an absolutely fun chapter to redo. Before there was a whole bunch of stupid stuff regarding Celestia and Luna and a birthday party, but instead I removed all that and replaced it with what you see before you. MUCH better, this chapter so far came out to be so much fun to write.

I actually had to redo this chapter 100% as well. Nothing was going against the show canon, but I just didn't like how I had the story play out.