• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 1,473 Views, 41 Comments

The Story of a Royal Guard [OUTDATED] - Himntor



See: The Guard And His Sword

  • ...
3
 41
 1,473

The Proposal

The flight only took twenty minutes, the scenery below whizzed by as Sword Shield was flying full speed to make sure his Captain wouldn't be waiting too long.

"I hope nothing is wrong. No message as to why he needs me... Maybe it's top secret? I sure hope this isn't worse than I think it is," thought Sword Shield.

He arrived at the Canterlot Barracks and touched down, hastily putting away his sword and running inside. Shining Armor was inside his office with his back turned on the door, he was wearing a tuxedo.

"Captain..." Sword Shield took a long inhale, his flight exhausted him more than he thought. "You needed me?"

Shining Armor froze for half a second as if being caught with his hoof in the cookie jar, then turned around "Oh, it's you. Scared me there."

Sword Shield tilt his head in confusion, "Scared you? Shining Armor, what are you doing? Why are you dressed like that?"

"I need your help with something," answered Shining Armor. He took a small red box out of his tuxedo's pocket and levitated it towards Sword Shield.

"What's this?" asked Sword Shield. Shining Armor opened up the case and revealed a golden ring with three small diamonds mounted onto it.

"A... ring?" Sword Shield looked at the ring with curiosity, it was a beautiful piece of pony craftsmanship, built to fit the horn of a unicorn perfectly. He wondered how Shining Armor even managed to afford it.

"What do you think?" asked Shining Armor.

"Well it's a beautiful ring, that's for sure, but why are you showing it to me?"

"Uh," Shining Armor hesitated a few seconds, "I'm going to propose to Cadance."

"Cadance? Thee Cadance? Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, Cadance?" asked Sword Shield.

"Do you disapprove?" asked Shining Armor with a serious tone.

"No, no, I just... didn't know you can marry a Princess, or even Royalty. Are you sure about this Shining Armor? It's a huge deal, if she accepts that is." Sword Shield was worried if Cadance rejected his offer that his Captain might go into a terrible depression and the Royal Guard would soon afterwards crumble.

"I've known Cadance for a long time, she's my best friend, there wouldn't be any other mare, I'm sure," said Shining Armor confidently.

"Alright, but what do you need me for?" asked Sword Shield, still confused why Shining Armor needed him so urgently.

"I'm going to ask Cadance to dinner, and I want you to be the one serving us. This is my plan: Before we come into the restaurant I want you to take the case with the ring inside and set it in the middle of our table and hide it, make it look normal as possible, use flowers or something. After you deliver our drinks I'll do my part," explained Shining Armor.

"Sounds like a plan. Although it's a little cheesy for my tastes, I'll help. I shall dub it 'Operation PTC' for 'Propose to Cadance,'" joked Sword Shield.

"And you call me cheesy," Shining Armor chuckled.

He gave the ring case to Sword Shield, "Keep it hidden until we get there. Oh, and you'll need this." Shining Armor gave Sword Shield his tuxedo.

Sword Shield let out a groan as he took the tuxedo along with the ring case. He took off his armor and put on the tuxedo, hiding the ring case in his own pocket.

"Dinner will be in two hours, it'll be at Hay Garden," said Shining Armor.

"Roger that Captain. I will prepare for Operation PTC," said Sword Shield with a salute.

Shining Armor saluted back and sent him off.

Sword Shield ran towards the restaurant Hay Garden to get everything set-

"Oof!" Sword Shield tripped on a small rock, knocking him forwards and falling flat on the ground. He massaged his head and checked for any other injuries.

"Are you okay?" a voice asked from behind.

Sword Shield looked behind him, "Cadance! Uh... I wasn't expecting to see you here."

"I was just wandering the city when I saw you dropped something," Cadance brought forward something, it was the ring case, "Is this yours?"

Sword Shield panicked for a moment, "Uh, yeah. It must have fell out of my pocket while I was running, sorry about that." He took back the ring case and put it away.

"So, who's the lucky mare?" asked Cadance.

"Huh?"

"Don't be coy, I know a ring case when I see one. You're obviously going to propose to somepony! That's so special, who is it?"

Another moment of panic overwhelmed Sword Shield, "Nopony of... consequence... you probably don't know her."

"Please, I know almost everyone in Canterlot. I guess it comes with being a Princess. Come on now, you don't have to be shy with me, who is it?"

"Come on Sword, a name! A name! Just think of one simple name!"

"Bellamare! Yes, her name is Bellamare."

"Hmm, I suppose you were right, I've never met somepony named Bellamare. Well I hope you two are very happy together!" said Cadance with a smile.

"Y-yeah... thanks. Uh, I think Shining Armor wanted to talk to you about something, he's around the barracks," said Sword Shield wiping the sweat off his forehead.

"Thanks, I'll see you later!" said Cadance, she began to walk off, "And I better be invited to the wedding!"

Sword Shield cringed at the last word. He made his way to the restaurant again.

"Not yet... not yet." He wasn't ready to make any commitment to a mare any time soon, his duties in the Royal Guard played far too big a role in his life for him to chase after something else.

Sword Shield arrived at Hay Garden. The inside of the restaurant was very formal, lots of wooden designs on the walls with pictures, the tables in one big room, all made with strong oak, there was a warm fireplace and the smell of Lavender was present. There were a few other pony couples in the restaurant, but it was relatively quiet at this time.

Finding the table that was reserved for Cadance at all times, Sword Shield took out the ring case, setting it down in the middle of the table and surrounded it with the candles and flowers provided to make it look plain and hidden. He continued to prepare the table until the manager of the restaurant came over to him with an angry expression on his face.

"What are you doing to Princess Cadance's table? You are not allow-" the manager stopped mid sentence as Sword Shield turned his head slightly and stared at him. "Oh, excuse me, I did not recognize you. My apologies, Lieutenant Shield. Might I ask what you are doing here?"

Sword Shield smiled. "It's alright, you are just doing your job, like I am. Shining Armor and Cadance are on their way over here for dinner, it is going to be a special occasion," he explained, levitating the ring case out into view.

The managers eyes widened as he saw the ring case. "Ahhh, I see! This is wonderful!"

"The Captain has appointed me to be his waiter for tonight, is that alright with you?" asked Sword Shield.

"Of course, of course. You are going to need a platter to hold food and drink though."

Sword Shield took out his sword which he had kept hidden as a dagger and morphed it into a round silver platter with golden rims. "How is this?"

"Perfect! Now don't let me get in the way, though if you need anything just give a holler. I'll let the staff know what you're doing." The manager trotted off and explained everything to the cooks and waiters.

Sword Shield continued to perfect everything, and a few minutes after, Cadance and Shining Armor entered the restaurant and came over to their table.

Cadance noticed Sword Shield standing next to the table. "What are you doing here? I thought you were proposing to somepony today?"

Sword Shield glanced at Shining Armor for a moment then back to Cadance, "No, I decided to wait until tomorrow. I think I need to sleep on it. So instead, I'm going to be your waiter for tonight actually, have a seat." Sword Shield pulled the chairs out for Cadance and Shining Armor. They took their seats and began looking at the menu. "So, what'll it be for tonight?"

Cadance and Shining Armor ordered their food and drinks, Sword Shield told their orders to the cooks and brought their drinks and set them on the table.

Shining Armor winked towards Sword Shield. He cleared his throat and smiled innocently. "Cadance, I almost forgot, I brought a gift for you."

"Really? Where is it?" asked Cadance.

"Well, it's right here." Shining Armor levitated the ring case out of the flowers from the table.

"But... isn't that Sword Shield's ring?" asked Cadance confused, she looked over at Sword Shield, only to see him wearing a tight grin.

Shining Armor brought back Cadance's attention, "Before you say anything else, let me say something first."

Shining Armor cleared his throat again and took a deep inhale, "Cadance, it has been a long time since we first met each other. On the first day I saw you I couldn't describe how beautiful you were. I still can't manage to describe it today. There came a point in time in our relationship where I knew I wanted to see you every day, not only your wonderful face, but also your amazing personality, the way you treat everypony with kindness, the way you spread love everywhere you go and your amazing smile."

Cadance gave a sheepish smile.

Shining Armor had gotten off his chair and knelt down in front of Cadance, "After all the time we have spent together, I believe I have truly found the one mare for me. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, will you marry me?" As Shining Armor asked the question he opened up the case and revealed the gold ring inside.

Cadance looked up and down at Shining Armor and the ring with tears of joy streaming down her face, "Sh-Shining Armor... I don't know what to say," she stammered out.

Sword Shield came over beside her and gave her a nudge, "I think you should say 'Yes.'"

"You won't only be gaining a husband, you'll be getting a pretty great sister too," said Shining Armor, also giving Cadance his own nudge.

Cadance smacked him on the head, but then jumped off her chair and gave him a hug, "Y-yes... Yes! Yes! Shining Armor I will marry you!" Cadance squealed joyfully, "But promise to never say something that cheesy ever again!"

"I promise," said Shining Armor, giving Cadance a short kiss.

The whole restaurant applauded at the scene, even the cooks joined in. The scene was able to calm down and dinner proceeded as usual. Sword Shield happily served his Captain and Princess their food while they chatted about future plans and the wedding.

"So you never did have somepony to propose to, did you?" Cadance asked Sword Shield while he cleared their table.

"No, you nearly gave me a heart attack," answered Sword Shield.

"Well that's too bad, I'm sure you could make a mare very happy," said Cadance sincerely.

Sword Shield shrugged it off. "I don't think I'm ready for something like that."

"It's alright, Sword Shield. Not every stallion can be as confident in courting mares like your Captain can," commented Shining Armor slyly.

"No, it seems not. I'll just watch you carefully to see how you handle it, and then do the exact opposite," joked Sword Shield.

Suddenly the front door burst open and three Royal Guards rushed into the building, everyone stopped eating and stared at them.

"Shining Armor!" the guard up front called out.

Shining Armor looked at the guards and back to Cadance with a worried look, "I'm over here."

The three guards ran up to Shining Armor. "Captain, we are sorry to have disturbed you, but the situation is urgent. A dire threat has been made against Canterlot, Princess Celestia demands your immediate presence," the guard in the front said.

Shining Armor was standing at full attention now. "What happened?"

The three guards looked at each other, "We're not entirely sure, sir. Celestia can explain more. You must come with us."

"We're right behind you. Sword Shield, fly to the barracks, put all guards on duty and increase their patrols. Cadance and I are going to see what the trouble is," ordered Shining Armor.

"Yes, Captain." Sword Shield gave a salute and ran out of the restaurant, quickly taking out his sword, transforming it and taking off towards the barracks.

Author's Note:

Sword Shield, you gotta stop running into specific ponies at the worst possible time! And that was probably the worst name he could ever have come up with.

Also: Cheesiest proposal ever, but I loved loved loved writing it.

This chapter was a bit short as it was mainly just supposed to be the whole proposal set up and scene, so I had to come up with some extra fluff to help fill it in a bit better.

Also, the name 'Bellamare' has probably been the most cringe-worthy thing I have EVER come up with. EVER! NIGHTMARES ABOUT THE STUFF!