• Published 2nd May 2020
  • 7,632 Views, 242 Comments

They're Never Coming Back - Flashgen



With the discovery of a line of communication to one of Ponyville's inhabitants, Verdant Vines and her team search for answers.

  • ...
6
 242
 7,632

PreviousChapters
Case File - Amalgam

Case Report: Amalgam (#3467-A)
Submitted by: Verdant Vines
Location: Everfree Forest
Date(s): May 16th
Case: Ponyville Mass Disappearance (#3467)
Classification: Princess Eyes Only

On the night of May 12th, both White Clover and I were approached by Princess Luna. She had stayed in Ponyville to assist with patients still suffering from nightmares. We were informed that Princess Celestia needed our assistance with a sensitive subject and to bring our recording equipment. After our questioning was met with an explanation that it was a matter of utmost secrecy, we were taken to the edge of the Everfree Forest in a flash of magical light.

The journey into the forest was slow and cautious, but we eventually arrived at the ruins of an ancient castle. Luna explained that it had been the home of Celestia and herself long ago. From a distance, I could see lights flickering in the windows and through cracks in the worn masonry.

Brought into the ruins of the torchlit main hall, we were led down a nearby dark stairwell and emerged into a lower area. The torches here were lit magically, dimmer despite their roaring flames. The hallway was filled with cells, most of them wide open, and at the far end I could see Princess Celestia standing in front of one that was locked tight. She turned to greet us, meeting us a few feet ahead of the cell.

It was at this point that Clover started recording:

Princess Celestia (PC): Good evening, Miss Vines. Miss Clover. I apologize for the lack of answers to the questions I’m sure you both have.

White Clover (WC): We understand, Princess. If this is something you’ve decided requires secrecy, we will swear to keep it off the record.

Verdant Vines (VV): Yes, certainly.

PC: It will need to be recorded, written down, but it may not be spoken of outside of this castle. At least, not until matters are settled.

PC: I… We have found Twilight Sparkle.

Clover and I exchanged a glance.

WC: You’re certain, Princess?

PC: Yes.

Princess Celestia looked to Princess Luna, who walked around us to stand at her side.

Princess Luna (PL): Two nights ago, while watching over the dreams of those still here in Ponyville, I noticed an… irregularity. As I have said in the past, the strange dreams tied to this place were vacancies. While searching for a dream of a particular pony sleeping, I would find nothing. It was like a void where there should have been images.

PL: That night I saw a wild, twisting… thing just outside of the dreamscape of Ponyville. On closer inspection, it was nothing more than a flash of imagery. Ponyville in the night. Candles burning brightly. Gnarled roots in a shadowy forest. A journal, nearly in tatters. Whispers growing into a deafening cacophony.

PL: However, the dream ended quickly. I informed my sister and she inspected Solace’s journal.

PC: There was new writing, still being etched into the pages.

Celestia held up the journal. The writing was hurried, but seemed similar in style to Twilight’s:


Shadowed
Stalked
Summoned

Ever free yet shackled
HOPEful yet HOPEless
Fractured yet whole
HOME
So close to HOME

I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me
I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me I am Me


The lines repeated and continued beyond the page.

PC: Luna and I came to the Everfree, searching for any sign of a pony within. Flying over the deeper parts of the forest, we noticed lights within these ruins. And here, in these dungeons, we found her.

VV: That’s… That’s wonderful news, Princess, but—

WC: Is there a reason you didn’t bring this to our attention immediately? Twilight was still listed as a suspect, along with the others.

PL: Twilight’s condition was…

PC: Special. It required careful observation before we informed you, along with questioning to be certain.

WC: And you are certain?

PC: Yes. The pony in the cell is Twilight. It may be difficult to see that, but I can swear to you it is.

VV: Then let us see her.

Princess Celestia looked to Luna, who nodded at her.

PC: Very well.

Clover and I approached the cell with Celestia at our side. As we got closer, the sound of a quill scratching words into parchment reached our ears. There were also voices, several I thought, muttering something in unison.

As we reached the cell, the dim glow of the torch in the hall illuminated only half of the interior. A journal lay open on the floor, and a quill, surrounded by purple magic, etched words into it over and over. I could see them just barely: “I am Me.”

Within the deep shadows, there was a similar purple light. Thanks to it, I could make out the shape of a figure, pony-shaped with a horn atop its head. Ragged, dried out purple hair framed its face.

Celestia tapped on the rusted bars. The quill and muttering voices stopped.

PC: Twilight. I brought Miss Vines and Miss Clover, like you asked.

The figure stood, and the quill came to rest in the journal’s margins. With careful, shaky steps it moved into the light. Twilight’s coat and mane were dried out, but I could make out the colors: lavender, purple, and pink. Here and there on her face and neck were splotches of black. They seemed to shift and writhe in the dim light. While one of her eyes was purple, the other was a strange gradient of cyan and black; both looked heavy and weary. Still, she managed a smile as she approached us.

Then her body started to come into the light. More patches of black covered her coat, but there were other spots of faded yellow amidst it. On her back, mostly bare of feathers, were a pair of bruised yellow wings. Her cutie mark was only half visible on her flank, the rest blocked by patches of black, yellow, and pink, the latter of which was in the shape of a butterfly wing. Even when she came to a stop, she still seemed to be moving, as if her entire body were shifting subtly.

When she spoke there were many voices, but the clearest were two: one soft and melodic and the other raspy and monotone.

Twilight Sparkle (TS): Vines. Clover. I am Me. I am Me. I am—

She quieted, taking a breath and looking down.

TS: I… I am Twilight.

My mouth moved without words. As she spoke, my eyes drifted to the patches of black. I saw shapes within them moving beneath the surface, but they were gone the moment I tried to focus on them.

WC: Hello, Twilight. It’s good to see you here, safe.

VV: Yes. H-hello.

TS: I… do not know how long, after sending Them away. How long until I woke. Here. Not here, but… Belong here.

VV: If you’re here, Twilight, did They… manage to follow you? Are They—

She approached the bars, hooves resting on them as she shook her head.

TS: No. No. No no no no no no. Have not felt, sensed, known, seen, dreamed. It is… it must be far.

PL: I have not sensed any gaps within the dreams of ponies within Ponyville, nor with Twilight.

WC: Do you know how you got here then, Twilight?

Twilight pulled away from the bars, turning away. Her ears flattened against her head and she covered them with her hooves.

TS: I am Me. I am Me. I am Me. I am… I do not remember. I lured Her. I lured Them. Threw, flung, pushed it away. All away. Me away. W—Them away.

WC: Twilight, it’s alright. We’re just… it’s worrying if you managed to get here, you understand.

TS: I am Me. I am M-M-Me. I am M-Me. I-I… I…

WC: Twilight?

TS: I… am M-M-

Twilight began to convulse and shudder, ragged coughs escaping her throat as she struggled to form words. She dropped to all fours, limbs spreading out as far as they could go while her wings struggled to open wider than they were.

VV: Princess, what’s wrong with her?

Neither of them said anything. Princess Celestia looked away, one hoof holding the journal tightly to her chest. Princess Luna simply watched, until Clover reached for the cell door.

PL: Do not, Miss Clover.

Twilight came to a stop. A raspy breath escaped her throat, and I could hear bones cracking as her wings forced themselves outwards. Her head turned to face us. The monotone voice was quieter as she spoke.

???: I am We. We are They. Princess of void. Of searing sun. Wonderers.

Her body turned about slowly, though her stance remained low. I was reminded of a predator ready to pounce.

???: Do you think they will ever recover, recoup, resign to their fate? Lost and shattered and hopeless. They never left Us. They will return. We will return.

VV: Who are you?

???: We are They. But you know Us. You know who We were. Who We each were.

The black patches on her coat began to move and shift, revealing patches of yellow in their wake and devouring purple. They seemed to rise off of the surface as well, but I could not be certain in the dim light. Slowly, she began to slink back towards the shadows of the cell.

???: We will escape. We will consume. We will change. We will spread. We… W-we…

Twilight’s body locked up again, just as her rear hooves entered the darkness. Seizures wracked her body and her stance finally gave way as she fell. As she curled up into a fetal position, I could see something wet and black splatter on the cell floor.

The muttering continued.

???: W-we… We are… I… I am… I-I am M-M-M… I am M-M-Me. I am Me.

Twilight’s body relaxed, hooves spreading out until she pulled herself off the floor. Her stance was shaky, but she turned and faced the bars.

TS: I… I am sorry. I should have said, warned. Portents. Uttered, written, set meant… unavoidable. Meant truth. Calamity.

WC: Was that you, Twilight?

TS: No. Her. Fluttershy. I… We were like this… for so long. So long to take control. To work hidden, unknown. To force Her away. To contain. Mantra. Will. Conscience and consciousness. It kept Them scattered, hopeless, docile. When I slipped, faded, She struck. She conquered and threatened and hurt… hurt so many. Here is safe. Here is prison, restraint, penance. For both of us.

Twilight looked down at the journal, her magic picking up the quill as she resumed writing and muttering her mantra.

Princess Celestia approached the bars. Her voice was steady and flat.

PC: Twilight has said that… that she and Fluttershy hold no more control over this other place like they used to. She cannot sense it. It’s possible that while the two of them came here, the others are gone.

PL: For now.

PC: Yes.

VV: What would you like us to do, Princess?

PC: I do not know. I… I do not know if the two of them can become separate again. Twilight is happy to imprison herself here. Luna and I have put wards on the cell and walls at her request, and Fluttershy has not exhibited control over Twilight’s magic during her outbursts.

PL: I have had no luck broaching their dreams. It is not just the dreams of two ponies at once. They seem to constantly fight and bicker and contest one another, even in sleep. Traveling within them is dangerous.

WC: Why would you want us to record all of this?

PC: There may come a time where whatever Twilight or Fluttershy have to say is important. There may also, however small, be a chance they could both be rehabilitated. I’d ask you to leave this here. I’ll ensure that future recordings are kept secret.

Princess Celestia removed the tape from the recorder, handing it to me.

PL: I would suggest the creation of a case file, Miss Vines. While this is not to reach any other pony’s ears for now, we will need to catalog everything.

VV: Yes, Princess.

PC: Thank you. You are both dismissed.

Princess Luna escorted us back to the edge of the Everfree and then to our tent in camp. There was only a stray patrol still awake when we finally arrived.

While I am skeptical that both of them will recover, I have since asked for Doctor Blue Sky to be contacted after he has completed his work with the other survivors.

For now, the information related to Twilight and Fluttershy will be kept from any official record of Ponyville’s disappearance. This case file will only be available, after its creation, to Princesses Luna and Celestia until they deem otherwise.

Signed,
Verdant Vines
Confidant
Case #3467-A

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 57 )

Rather unsettling. See you left it open for a sequel.

*claps* How absolutely harrowing. I see "They've never coming back." had many more meanings than just the towns people, eh.

It was an absolutely wonderful ride, and I'm glad you were able to see the journey thru to its conclusion. The open ended finale makes me hope you revisit the series after some time--Perhaps explore the repercussions of such an event for all involved, such as Dash years after the fact. The lingering sense of paranoia and expectation of one last stinger stuck throughout the entire story, and it was masterful in execution. You've come a long way since the first entry, and your usage of horror shows. Each entry grew in terms of horror, and it really showed how well versed you were in it each time.

I guess the 'fan' theory of sorts that it was Pinkie writing the entries in the original Fleeting was proven wrong? Since it appears it was Fluttershy the entire time. Interesting, as I wonder why she was so easily used by the Shadow Walkers compared to everyone else. I am genuinely intrigued by the after effects for select Ponies however, such as the Princesses. As I can't imagine losing Twilight to such a horrendous existence and fate will leave them anything sort of vengeful.

What were the last minute changes you made, though? Curious.

Ultimately however, fantastic job. I look forward to the rest of your horror endeavors. I hope you can rest easy without the nagging feeling of having not finished the series, and satisfied with knowing you nailed the landing.

Well, that got real fucking grotesque. I like it.

10230525

The last minute change was breaking the framing device to do a normal narration for Vines and Clover meeting at the cafe.

While I'll admit that this story didn't grip me nearly as much as the original trilogy of stories, which had me shivering with anxiety by the time I finished them a while back (I still can't remember a time when I was that unsettled by something), the ending here really tied everything together for me. As I said when I first picked up this story a few days ago, I'm ultimately very satisfied with this conclusion.

Generally speaking, I just want to say that I don't think I've ever been so consistently impressed by a series of stories in many, many years. While there are individual stories I'd hold as being on par with your work (e.g. "Carousel" by Thornquill), I don't think I've ever seen someone provide such a consistently unnerving and engaging series of horror stories to the extent that you have. I've read a couple of your other stories too while I was waiting for this story to be published, and I've enjoyed them as well for the most part.

Whatever you end up writing in the coming months and years now that this series is complete, as long as you can keep up this level of quality, I'll be continuing to follow your work, and I hope others here will do the same.

Spread. Consume. Regroup. Return. WE. AREN’T. FINISHED. WITH. YOU. YET.

This was one of the best horror stories I've read on this site. I really like it how we never really fully see what the creatures are and you provided solid answers to some the stories biggest questions as it went on. Top notch work

Jeez. All the applause, Flash! This story was well-worth the wait. As many have expressed, I felt a bit less dread reading this one, but this bookended things very nicely. And spookily. Thank you so much for these stories! I look forward to everything you put out in the future.
Now I gotta go back and figure out where Twilight was Twilight and where Twilight was actually maybe Fluttershy in her entries!
Again, thank you so much. You're a wizard and it's so cool to see this story wrapped up after all these years!

When it comes to ending (espically in horror) there’s always going to be those who feel let down in some way (a hard thing to get even 69% to like)
I think you did the best job you could of here (least my opinion and for a good/goodish-enough ending)
Got to say what happened here, while I didn’t predict it, make perfect sense when I go back and read the story

This series has been horrifying in a sense I haven’t felt since I was a kid and scared of the dark and what things could be waiting within it. The fact that the villains in this story are amongst the worst suffering of the victims makes me wanna cry for everyone involved. Because it sure sounds like an unknowable and unthinking cosmic force simply drifted too close to the world and warped its inhabitants.

The fact that anypony in Ponyville and everyone elsewhere was saved was thanks to an enormous amount of luck and the intelligence and ruthlessness of Twilight for being willing to become a monster in every sense of the word. I honestly don’t know why exactly I read this series though. I generally don’t like grim settings with my ponies, but the fact that there wasn’t any explicit violence definitely helped me to start and finish it. Excellent fics, just the same.

Amalgam Shylight = best horse waifu

Nah, in all seriousness—Christ all-fucking-mighty. A glorious read from beginning to end (and I'm talking about the entire series, not just this entry) that was well worth the day-by-day wait! The whole concept of the Shadow Walkers is as intense as they interesting. I wish to know more about them! How they came to be, what their... world is like (outside of the snippets described through Twiggle's journal), what they eat—I mean, come on, Silver Spoon was missing a leg for crying out loud.

Sue me.

Point is: yes. The Shadow Walker is a horrifying creature and I fucking love how they—everything (and Twiggles and Flutters) pieced together. I just wish I could understand how everything came to be on their end.

I digress, I'm definitely satisfied with how it all played out.

Oh, before I go, just one question:

isitover?

Congratulations on finishing this up! I guess an aspect of good horror is the mysteries of it all, though I'm glad you nailed enough points to give satisfaction yet leave the spookiness of the entire situation to work on our fears and nightmares. We're still a bit unsure of how these ponies came to be...if they are ponies, since Twilight's account not exactly reliable information as of right now...

On a story-related note, I'm very surprised that the Cafe entry was...well, not put in the style of a recording, letter or journal; instead it was a narrative — And if memory serves correct this will be the first time through the whole series it ever occurred. No offence of course, it's just a break from the way the rest of the series is written.

While you left it open ended, in some way, is there ever a chance that something else will sprout from this series? I know plans can change. I've gotten rather "close" to Verdant Vines.

That ending... *whistles* holy cow. The hair on my arms stood up several times. Creepy factor is about 83%, one of the highest.

10231514

It felt like a good break from the framing. I couldn't come up with a logical reason for the two to be recording themselves or writing about what they were doing after the case. It also allowed me to show a bit of Vines's point of view after things were done, and that she hasn't really moved on.

While I think everything's done here, I have had one random idea from a speedwriting event that involved Vines as a main character: a more grounded murder-mystery.

Awesome. It's refreshing to see an ending with closure in a horror story that doesn't ruin the horror parts. Wonderful job.

It's hard to believe that it's over...but that was one hell of an ending, that's for sure.

Like I've mentioned before, this series has to be my favorite mlp horror series, and definitely one of my favorite series overall. The first stories with the secret messages, the case reports, the suspense...if I were your mother, I'd be proud of you. If she's not, she should be.

Seriously, nice. I'll miss waiting on/reading this series, but it definitely won't hurt for another 7,000 re-reads. All we can do is HOPE that Twilight eventually did get better, and could see the LIGHT of day again.

So long, series. I'll miss you.

On another note, I'll keep watch on you, and see if anything else you write catches my eye.

A great story, a satisfying ending and an ending that nobody could have seen coming. Or perhaps it was hinted at all along and I didn't notice in reading it. Regardless, this is truly a masterpiece and I greatly enjoyed it.

10231664
Oh I'd be down for that! Mystery is one of my favorite genres.

Dang, all of got to say to this.

I remember reading this series, well before I had an actual account on FimFiction. I think I only read the first two stories, and was completely unaware that the third part came out in 2018. I went back and reread the entire series today. And am very glad I did. The story is visceral, full of dread and horror.

The whole thing very Lovecraftian, in that nopony made it out unscathed. The “win” scenario is the loss of over two thirds of the town, had of the mane 6, and everypony involved has serious PTSD. In the Lovecraftian style, that is one hell of a win.

Overall, well done.

I only discovered your stories yesterday, but I'm honestly glad it took me this long. I took a risk reading it without checking, and I consider myself lucky that a conclusion had been given a few days prior. Really well done. Unnerving, logical yet mysterious. With a horror story such as this, it's hard to avoid resorting to the usual cliches to make people uncomfortable; you were smart to base the story's horror elements on things that we already fear; darkness, being watched, etc - but twisted in new ways and given a fresh context.

This was a great series to read. The last chapter I was not expecting at all as I thought Twilight stayed in the void for a lack of a better word to call it.

Before I go any further I just want to say congratulations on finishing this series. It's a monumental accomplishment, and you've got my mad respect for that. Bravo.

With all that said, it pains me to say that, unfortunately, I didn't find this story as engaging as the previous three.

In my opinion, the most interesting part of the previous stories was the mystery aspect; solving the cryptic puzzles and trying to piece together clues about what was going on. All of that was pretty much absent here; the first interview with Twilight pretty much explains everything (or as close as it's going to get) and after that there really aren't any new mysteries to speak of, in fact I'd go as far as to say many of the chapters felt like padding.

The absence of the puzzles/ciphers also severely weakened the epistolary nature of the story. Most of the chapters are already structured like a regular story--being a mix of dialogue and past-tense narration--so the framing device of "transcribed audio-logs" feels kinda pointless at best, and at worst like a gimmick holding the story back; if we're no longer relying on limited perspectives and (potentially) unreliable narrators to build a mystery, but instead focusing on the emotional toll that mystery is taking on the investigators, then I think actually getting to hear the characters' inner thoughts would've benefited things.

I can understand why the puzzle/mystery aspects were downplayed here. After all it is the series finale, so it was inevitably going to focus more on wrapping things up then introducing additional mysteries. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like it made for a particularly satisfying conclusion either.

I know writing a satisfying horror ending is challenging. But in my (albeit non-exhaustive) experience with the genre I've noticed a good deal of horror fiction tends to fall into three categories: a "happy" ending ("happy" being a relative term), where the protagonist overcomes/escapes the horror; a "downer" ending, where the protagonist loses to the horror; and a "chiller" ending, where things are left ambiguous to play on the reader's imagination.

This story doesn't really fall into any of those categories; things aren't exactly "resolved", since there's still the issue of Amalgam, and the ultimate fate of all the ponies still trapped in the dark world remains unknown. But on the other hand it's not really a "downer" ending either, since in the end they did manage to drive back the horror (for the time being at least) and rescue at least some of the missing ponies. And I can't say the ending left me particularly "chilled" or creeped out either. To be honest, it didn't really feel like an "ending" at all; perhaps if you had left out the "Article Clippings", "Candle Cafe" and "Case File - Amalgam" chapters it could've worked as one (albeit still a bit 'meh'), but as is this felt more like the conclusion of the first arc of a longer story. Now I'm not inherently against the idea of sequel-baiting, but I am fully aware that this series has been ongoing since 2013, and while I certainly commend you for your dedication, I also know better than to hold my breath for a continuation.

Lastly, and forgive me if this sounds a bit petty, I am a little miffed that, for a series so focused on cryptic mystery, so many of the details I (and no doubt others) thought were clues turned out to be not even red herrings but absolutely inconsequential. The possible connection to herbs and the Everfree; the order in which ponies were abducted; the significance of the specific ponies that fell to the Shadow Walker influence; the fact that certain events occurring on the same days across all three journals seemed to parallel each other; or the fact that the Shadow Walker legends didn't start until after Nightmare Moon's banishment (just to name a few). In fact I think the only detail that actually mattered at all was Sweet Apple Acres being out of sync with Ponyville.

It doesn't help that some of the answers we do get just raise more questions, only these questions feel more like plot holes than mysteries. If the "She" who apparently leads the Shadow Walkers is Fluttershy, then who or what was leading them before? And why did they pick her as their new leader? If the Walkers are former ponies trapped in the dark world, then what was abducting them to begin with? If some of the Walkers want to "come home" then why don't they? Seeing as they're fully capable of crossing over into the real world? If the Walkers are trying to draw in ponies to join them, then why do they attack and mutilate them once they're in the dark world? Wouldn't they just naturally transform into Walkers eventually? Why did the candle dream have no effect on Vines, Clover, and Blue Sky when it seemed pretty fast-acting on everypony else?

I know I'm kinda nitpicking here, but with this (presumably) being the last in the series, I get the feeling these questions don't (and probably never will) have any answers. And I won't lie, that does bother me a little.

In the end though, I still greatly enjoyed this series as a whole, and this story in particular--while not being the strongest conclusion in my opinion--was still a fun-enough read, and I wanna say kudos once again for sticking with it for so long. I just hope my two-bits are constructive.

Comment posted by Drake the Ponydragon deleted May 18th, 2020

10239487

I can definitely understand how you feel, cause it was a worry I had when writing that the ending wasn't going to be fully satisfying for everyone. Tearing back the veil while also trying to make for a reveal or two that was shocking had its pros and cons. I didn't want to leave everything completely unanswered.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably consider losing the framing device as you said, but I still sort of enjoyed playing with a handful of viewpoints in Pray, Hope and Wander and in this story. It definitely could have improved the pacing in this portion of the story.

Everything else though I think just comes down to personal preferences. It's not my intention to leave this open to writing another sequel, because there's 100% just never going to be one. I just really like stories where you see the state characters are in at the end and then know that life has to go on for them, I guess? It's not to discount how you feel about it for sure. Things are done, though. The danger is passed, though not destroyed, and when it comes back is anyone's guess. Fluttershy and Twilight are left to try and recover together from their circumstance, while everyone else affected has to move on, and it's obvious some of them probably won't.

As for the red herrings, some of them I can't say I ever thought of, like the legend starting after Nightmare Moon or the order of disappearances mattering. Others, like the herbs, just comes down to trying to set up normalcy before things went wrong in the original story. Everything was meant to be out of any character's control, until it wasn't (see Twilight in this story).

Still, I really appreciate the comment. It'll give me a lot to think about for any future stories and how I plan to execute things.

(While I'm still writing a veeeeeeeeeery huge comment with my thoughts about this story and memories and analysis about the whole Fleeting Light series...)

I tried to analyze this, but I still didn't understand couple moments. Can somebody, please, enlighten me? :D

1) In first, third and fourth stories there was many mentions about mysterious "She", or "Her". It was spoken by Fluttershy ("Too mute to speak her truth"), Twilight ("This is what she meant", "I lured Her", and many times during her "interviews") and Pendant with Lanters ("She is already here/come") in different occasions. So, they was indeed referencing to some unique Shadow Walker (Leader? That face from Twilights' dream in first story?), or they were referencing to Fluttershy or Twilight in different occasions? Who was named by Fluttershy's part of Amalgam as "Princess of void"? Celestia, or this mysterious character, if she indeed exists?

2) At what exact moment of time Fluttershy and Twilight (and possibly something else) became one being? Did it happen when Twilight gave up herself at the end of first story, and was consumed, and later she regained control over combined body and mind? Or after Twilight came back to her senses a little, to take control over Void, she consumed Fluttershy?

Hmm, now I wonder: was combination of different creatures into one is exact that method how Shadow Walkers wanted to control their world to cover Equestria again? This was their plan? One powerful being, one combined mind? Or these amalgams are "normal" state for these creatures, and it was nothing new?

Oh, and when Twilight talked about Fluttershy "When I slipped, faded, she struck. She conquered and threatened and hurt… hurt so many.", she meant she hurted herself, or... hurted some many other ponies? D: If the latter... then I don't want even think about it *shivers*

And we end the story with of the Mane Six: One mentally traumatised but uninjured. Two both mentally and physically scarred. Two fused into one physically damaged and mentally shattered being with Dissociative Identity Disorder. And one left unaccounted for. Exactly how I like my Fantasy, Horror, Mystery stories. Probably shouldn't have read all these in the dead of night though...:twilightsheepish:

Thank you for the great read.

Well, that was a suitably creepy ending for this series. I've really enjoyed all of them. And I'm glad that we actually got a satisfying conclusion to it all. Mystery is nice in a horror, but personally, I prefer mysteries that actually get solved to some degree. I like how much of a pyrrhic victory it was, too. Some saved, but not all, and the rest likely joining the ranks of the creatures... Wonder if that includes the dead in their graves? And most of the mane six got out alive, but not in any good state, and Applejack's still gone. No Elements of Harmony to provide an easy fix this time. And damn, Twilight was still a unicorn living in her library when this all happened, wasn't she? I hope for Equestria's sake that this universe isn't like later canon, because if they've still got Tirek or the Storm King to come on top of everything else, and no Princess Twilight to save them...

10242220
Here's how I understood it:

There is the void world's plane of existence and Equestria's. The void world is like entropy. As Twilight described it, the void is loose and fluid and Equestria is rigid. It tries to return Equestria's rigid world into one of fluidity/chaos by consuming/assimilating Equestria.

2) At what exact moment of time Fluttershy and Twilight (and possibly something else) became one being? Did it happen when Twilight gave up herself at the end of first story, and was consumed, and later she regained control over combined body and mind? Or after Twilight came back to her senses a little, to take control over Void, she consumed Fluttershy?


I thinks when they give into the shadow/void and accept it, they disappear and become part of the collective consciousness in the void. So Fluttershy was consumed first and was merged into the shadow, then Twilight let herself be consumed and was merged as well. In the void world, everyone that was consumed is merged together, that's why they hear many voices whispering in those "dreams". It is the voices of all the ponies that was ever consumed. Twilight also mentions that some of them wanting to return to home and others having different feeling. She can hear their thoughts, which makes me think that they are all merged together along with ponies that may have been captured in the past.

Twilight was able to regain control of her consciousness while in the collective conscious, and was able to send messages secretly without the rest of the "evil" conscious noticing. She also found out how to remove a conscious and send them back to Equestria.

Twilight manages to separate her and Fluttershy from the collective conscious in the void and send themselves back to Equestria, but for some reason couldn't separate themselves. Maybe because Fluttershy was such a strong conscious in the void and she keeps trying to assimilate Twilight giving Twilight no option to push Fluttershy out of the void first before leaving the void as herself. Thus the only option was to pull them both out at the same time resulting them being merged into one being in Equestria.

Twilight ("This is what she meant", "I lured Her", and many times during her "interviews")

When Twilight refers to "Her", I think she is talking about Fluttershy as she has become the dominate consciousness within the shadow.

Pendant with Lanters ("She is already here/come") in different occasions

In these cases, I think the she/her is referring to Twilight because it was Twilight that pushed Pendant and Lantern to find the other journals.

Who was named by Fluttershy's part of Amalgam as "Princess of void"? Celestia, or this mysterious character, if she indeed exists?

I think the "Princess of void" is the collective consciousness being in the void plane.

These four stories are just amazing. I didn't find it to be really scary as the horror tag would lead me to expect before I started the series. Although I don't really read many horrors stories, so I don't have much of a comparison. What I found really great was the way the story created so much atmosphere and suspense. It had me reading into the middle of the night a few times just to finish the story I was on.

I think telling the story through the logs/journal entries of various ponies makes it feel more personal. I can understand what they are thinking and feeling through their journal entries. Each entry in a way gives us the point of view from whomever is writing it or conducting the interview. It gives a peek into their minds without actually hearing their thoughts. As a reader, I can be someone who has access these journals/logs in the future or I can be someone experiencing the events as they unfold as new recordings are made every day.

I did find this last story to be kind of sad. I felt Twilight's pain when she was talking to Shining Armour and say she misses him and her parents. I even teared up on a few occasions, like when they announced only seventy something of the over two hundred made it back. That part hit hard. Maybe I just got too caught up in the story.

Props to you for this wonderful experience.

With first finding this series through Scriber and continuing it on this website, I am just so amazed with how it ended. The loss of hope and horror elements was just so great. Love your work

Ah, I guess that Applejack was the only one who didn't make it back. Or maybe not? It's left wonderfully open ended.

As much as I loved it, I'm a little sad it's over. Though I am a little disappointed there was no hidden message at the end. Wonderful ride!

10277815
No problem, this story deserves to look its best. And I like when my typos are pointed out, so I do the same. Something unto others yadda yadda unto you, as they say.

Boy this is a perfect story to read after midnight, in the dark, alone...
Seriously, this is a great story, though. It has that element of horror i like, the feeling of dread stretching through all stories, up to the end, making us all think: "Good thing this is finally over. Or is it?"

10230525
Her talants and skills revolve around nature and understanding animals, it was stated the the Shadows were not just ponies but other creatures. Fluttershy's Talant made it easy for her to Listen and understand them. So she did the Kind thing and helped them. She may seem like a heartless Monster, but if you look at it as her helping a bunch of lost scared creatures and being transformed, then shes still shockingly in Character.
I am kinda sad that the only mane six we dont have any answer for is Applejack. Though I love the detail of Rainbow and Company just appearing almost right after they left AJ behind.

10244746

I thinks when they give into the shadow/void and accept it, they disappear and become part of the collective consciousness in the void. So Fluttershy was consumed first and was merged into the shadow, then Twilight let herself be consumed and was merged as well. In the void world, everyone that was consumed is merged together, that's why they hear many voices whispering in those "dreams". It is the voices of all the ponies that was ever consumed. Twilight also mentions that some of them wanting to return to home and others having different feeling. She can hear their thoughts, which makes me think that they are all merged together along with ponies that may have been captured in the past.

Twilight was able to regain control of her consciousness while in the collective conscious, and was able to send messages secretly without the rest of the "evil" conscious noticing. She also found out how to remove a conscious and send them back to Equestria.

Twilight manages to separate her and Fluttershy from the collective conscious in the void and send themselves back to Equestria, but for some reason couldn't separate themselves. Maybe because Fluttershy was such a strong conscious in the void and she keeps trying to assimilate Twilight giving Twilight no option to push Fluttershy out of the void first before leaving the void as herself. Thus the only option was to pull them both out at the same time resulting them being merged into one being in Equestria.

Personally, I interpreted it differently. For the ones she returned, I was assuming they hadn't actually transformed yet. Even with Rarity and Spike, we never actually saw them submit and turn the way we did Twilight, only get taken - so its fully possible, especially with the whole "wonky time" thing the void had going, that they had yet to submit/give in and become part of the collective.

As for Twilight and Fluttershy "escaping" the collective... I'm not too sure about that. Considering they spoke with MANY voices, I'm kinda of the opinion that they are STILL the Shadow Walker Collective - Just with Fluttershy as the dominant personality/face of the Collective, and Twilight as a Rogue/Renegade will resisting it.

But those are just my views/opinions/interpretations.

EDIT: Also, on an unrelated topic, but it occurred to me that the covers -the ones with a candle- are missing something. Most dreams involving the Candle had shadow walker/s staring at the dreamer from outside the candle's light. So, what the cover is missing is a shadow walker face/s in a slightly lighter shade - that way its not immediately visible, but if anyone looks at it real close...

Just finished this whole series, binged it all day and holy crap was that intense. Still wonder what the heck happened, though. Was this a case of some sort of transient, parasitic demiplane of entropy?

Looks like the Princesses have another Sealed Evil in a Can to hide away. Pretty annoying. Hope this one doesn't break out anytime soon.

Last night I heard Scribbler’s audio reading of the first two installments on YouTube and when I heard there was more, I quickly jumped on here and made an account! This was an absolutely amazing and well-written story. After listening to the first two installments (and at night no less), I was left spook and found it hard to sleep later that night! Kudos on you for that! I haven’t been that deadly afraid of the dark for quite some time now. This new installment tied in some loose ends and I’m glad that not all of the town’s residents were lost (considering the titile, I felt that was the case and didn’t let my hopes get too high). The only thing that leaves me quite curious and almost sad is the fact that Applejack was the only one of the main six that was never found

Man, honestly it took me far too long to get around to finishing this, but it was still excellently done. Glad we got some sort of conclusion even though it has such a somber tone.
Thank you for the ride, it's certainly been an intriguing one :fluttershbad:

Think Imma watch some funny pony videos. I actually shed a few tears at one point during the reading. Glad I came across your writings. Much love for this series.

Congratulations! This is an outstanding finish to a monumental series. I read the original when it first came out way way back in the day, but being able to dive back in with these newer expansions has been a blast.

10239745

10239487
OK, so... I'll say this only once for both of you, one being the author and one being a little confused about the story, I categorise this story as a candy horror, term I use only for one other series of stories, that being Knakerman's something sweet, just because they both have that open ending that is not entirely open.
But... while Knakerman's series is ongoing and definitely became more of what will candymare do next while we rout for her, this one is more complicated since it ask a different question, that being: "How will the public react when it will happen again?"
And speaking of the ending, you, the author, could actually continue this series but in g5 since they confirmed it's the same universe, my only request for this will be to let them have at least 3+ seasons of the show until you start it, and as a demand will be to link the magic disappearing from equestria to this events repeating, thus creating a believable timeline and reason for it to happen.

10967588
It’s a typo. It should say “and that they felt”

I reread this story ever so often (I mean, how could I avoid it? This series is genuinely incredible!) and the one question that lingers in my mind is just what happened to Applejack? We get some hints at what/why, but nothing exactly concrete (which does add to the horror aspect so it's wonderful in its own right)

I wonder will this series will continue now that G5 is starting? This series of fanfics is one of my favorites.

So what exactly happened to Fluttershy again? It seems that she just went crazy and ran away, but then became the big bad of the series. Was that explained and I missed it or was that something that was left open.

will there be a sequel for fan fiction?

I'm just dissapointed that it wasn't revealed that it all linked back to Poison Joke in the end.

Twilight was experimenting with Poison Joke in the beginning, right before all the weird stuff started happening. In the list of dissapearances, it started with Laffy Taffy on the 31st of march, except that we find out later that he actually wasn't present for the "kidnappings". The real spooky events only started after April fools' day, which would be the perfect time for Poison joke to start acting up.

Twilight was talking about how poison joke was inconsistent in it's effects, and later we get the observation that this dark psuedo-dimension affects everypony differently.

The legend of the Shadowalkers speaks specifically of a 'field of blue herbs' or something like that. maybe it was just the name of the setting... but it sounds a whole lot like Poison Joke to me.

In brief added snippet in the first story, the Shadowalkers say that they do this for fun... or something along those lines. sounds like Poison joke.

So... maybe all Amalgam needs is a looong bubble bath...

Login or register to comment