• Published 21st Aug 2019
  • 2,953 Views, 83 Comments

Phoenix in Another World - Cheer



Sunset, after a fatal incident finds herself in a different world.

  • ...
6
 83
 2,953

11

“Excuse me?” Sunset raised a brow at that. She had been alone this whole time, hadn’t she?

Maria wore a small smirk as she nodded towards the shadows where a woman dressed in all black stepped out. The face-mask hid her expression but something about the way she looked at her made Sunset feel… a little embarrassed? Nervous? She couldn’t really explain it well.

Maria meanwhile looked towards her with a smile "Yvonn. How was she?"

"Nervous, impatient, kind of hot" she answered in an almost monotone.

"That last one was unnecessary. Thank you," Maria didn't seem too phased at her words though.

"I don't know if it would make me feel better or worse being stuck alone with her," Sunset pointed out, actually getting a small smirk out of the guy who had acted like such an ass before. Maybe he wasn’t too bad after all.

“I apologize for her. She’s…” Maria trailed off, searching for the right word, only for the potential jerk to speak up again.

“She’s a horn-dog,” he admitted, earning a snort from Sunset.

Maria frowned at him, but he didn’t drop the smirk. “Yes. Well, with that aside, I’m sure you can understand our worry. The increase in demon attacks throughout the kingdom over the past few months warrant an extra level of caution.”

Sunset was able to actually draw on ignorance this time. Which made things a bit simpler “Unfortunately no. I’m not aware. My people are very isolated and keep to ourselves. I can’t say I’ve heard anything.” At least she didn’t have to come up with a story again.

Maria nodded. In truth, the demon attacks had been decreasing. It was a test in its own right. If they had said that demon attacks were up then she’d be suspicious, down she would have been fine with. The answer she got however was neither, making things a little more touchy.

“I see.” She brought out a map and put it on the table in front of them. She tried to get a read on where Sunset’s eyes looked first, but they didn’t seem to focus on anything too much. Just flicking from one spot to another before she quickly looked back up. “I was wondering if you could indicate where you came from. At least the direction.”

Sunset wasn’t able to stop the gulp as she shook her head “I’m sorry. I don’t recognize any of these. Like I said, I was banished. I got a boat and pushed off with some supplies. I didn’t keep track of how long it took and slept most of the way.”

“Yet aside from the blood you don’t look too bad, and I would expect a stench from someone at sea for so long.” She sighed and shook her head. “Look. I’m not going to ask what you’re running from. I’m not going to ask about the story you gave us. You seem to be in trouble. So here’s what we’re going to do”—she nodded towards Yvonn—“just put your hand on this. It’s a quick test. It’ll tell us if you’re something dangerous. If you’re someone dangerous we can deal with that later on.”

Sunset gulped as she looked at the light blue orb the shadowy woman set on the table. It was about palm sized and gave off a serene feeling laced with something more serious. "So just… touch it?"

"Place both of your hands on it,” Maria explained simply as she simply watched.

Sunset gave a small nod and did as requested. She took a soft breath and closed her eyes as she felt the cold glass beneath her palms. Initially, there was nothing. No reaction. But she was almost afraid to open her eyes. With the lack of reaction around her she didn’t expect that anything had gone wrong.

She took another deep breath as she opened her eyes, only to find a spear pointed at her. She pulled her hands back in and put them in front of her face. Only then, as the spear got even closer did she notice the ring of runes around her finger alight.

“I- I-” she began, only be be cut off by the very person she had just started getting along with barking at her.

“Quiet! Whatever you are, we’ll figure it out and-”

“I’m not a demon!”

“I said quiet! I swear I shoulda’ just taken care of you earlier-”

Maria slammed a hand on the table as she stood “Enough! The reaction was small. I understand your worry, but you already have a spear in her face.” She took a breath and returned to her seat “I’m not saying we’re going to just let her go off traipsing through town, but there are other possibilities to explain this reaction.

Yvonn stood to the side, eyes focused on Sunset but without their laid back calm of earlier. She may have been an oddball, but Sunset dared to say she was someone she didn’t want to get in a fight with. “She’ll go into a cell then?”

Maria nodded softly “Yes. Bring her to one now.” She looked down at Sunset, “Please, don’t fight them. If this is nothing to be worried about I’ll invite you to tea.” Her smile was apologetic “I just can’t take any chances.”

Sunset gulped as she was pulled up by Yvonn, “Yeah. Yeah, I understand” she sighed as she was led away.

The jail itself was deeper in the village. She had asked what the Village's name was, but Sanse only barked for her silence again. It was honestly embarrassing to be led around like a criminal. She hadn’t even done anything!

At the very least Yvonn wasn’t as rough as Sanse probably would have been. Her movements were sharp but not harsh. “Well at least it’s clean” She grumbled as they led her into the jail, prison, whatever.

The door opened with a squeal that made her wince. The inside was simple. The floor was made of hay, against the back wall there was a rug of what looked like animal skin. She expected that was the bed.

The part that made her feel a little disgusted was the bucket. She only had a few guesses of what that was for and she wasn’t looking forward to it. She jumped a little as the door behind her closed. She didn’t turn around at the sound of a heavy lock. She supposed whatever they might have thought she was could easily escape this. But she wasn’t one of them. She told them so but…

She sighed and looked at her finger. It was no longer glowing and the runes had disappeared. She felt like it’d been nothing but problems since she arrived. Why did fate think it so entertaining to torture her?

She turned around and noticed Sanse watching her like a hawk. She sighed and shook her head before sitting down, leaning against the cold walls. This was such bullshit.

Author's Note:

Eeey. It's not dead yet! Seriously though. My editor has been with me the whole time and they make this flow so much better. My word choices are such traaaaaash on my own.

anywhosie. Enjoy. Imma try to get onto the next part.