• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 8,788 Views, 2,906 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Aincrad - Mindrop



The Girls get trapped in the newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life.

  • ...
27
 2,906
 8,788

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 30 - Equipment Level Up

Floor 48 – Front Line Floor 58

March 25

“Dagannoth,” Ashley said. “I am thinking Dagannoth leather plate armor. Since you have Leather Armor as a skill, and a high one at that, you can wear a heavier class of leather than just a basic leather coat. It won't be cheap. Either I have to pay someone to hunt them, or you can hunt them yourself. I will also need materials for the special dye to use on the hide as well.”

Bladescape looked at Knightstar. She just shrugged. The obvious choice was for them to hunt the supplies themselves. They were among the top players. It would not be hard for them. Hopefully.

“Where do we find them?” Bladescape asked. “And what exactly is needed?”

“Dagannoths spawn deep in the swamp of the 57th Floor. From what I hear, only one or two are ever around at a time. They are powerful beasts with thick hides. Land Sharks with claws is how they were described to me. I’ll need is 30 pieces of their hides, and the other two things I will need are 80 sacks of Blue Stones, and 30 sacks of Giganthum Flower Petals. That will allow me to dye their hides the proper blue and gold. Easier to get but still time consuming is flax threading. That will be strong enough to stitch it all together.”

“Do I want to know the size of the sacks?” Bladescape asked, resisting a sigh or groan.

“It's just the standard small sacks. Nothing too bad. But the stones are not easy to find. I have to crush and refine them, meaning I need a lot. You need to find Blue Stones; not stones that are blue, but the actual item Blue Stones. The Giganthum Flowers are on Floor 47. They are not hard to find, and with your level the monsters won’t be a threat. They are small though. A lot of petals will be required. I need so much because dagannoth hide is thick and very difficult to dye. Normal dyes won’t work. As it is, tanning the hide will be a long and difficult process.”

“I think the Dagannoths will be easier,” Bladescape groaned.

“If you can get me these things,” Ashley said as she wrote stuff down. “I can make you a top tier set of leather armor that will blow the minds of every other player. It will be second only to Commander Heathcliff, and it will be more protective than most armors out there. It should take you to Floor 90, if not 100.”

Bladescape took the list but kept it from Knightstar. “I’ll hunt these down and return as soon as possible.”

Ashley sat there and smiled coyly. “I am surprised you had to come to me. I heard about your little sale. I hear it was very high-quality stuff. Apparently Diemond could give me a good run if she stopped fighting on the front lines.”

“She could,” Knightstar confidently stated. “But she doesn’t want to. She is a designer I.R.L. and that is the reality she wants to be designing in.”

Ashley nodded in understanding.

“And that is also why we came,” Knightstar added. “As good as she is, even maxed, she doesn’t know how to work virtual materials. She doesn’t know how to find out about the new ones, work them, combine them, and all that. And she doesn’t have time to either. She is a key member of the Assault Team and our clan.”

“It isn’t easy,” Ashley admitted. “I have to stay on top of things myself. Especially the rare monsters. Finding out about dagannoth hide wasn’t easy. And that is why I am taking this commission. I am now in a position that I get to pick and choose what interests me and what doesn’t. Making the Wondercolts’ leader new armor, well that is a once in a lifetime opportunity since you have your own crafters. Although smaller in size, you are a big-name guild, and most of the top shots wear metal armors that I cannot work with. You I can though.”

“And it is appreciated,” Bladescape nodded. “But now I have materials to get.”

Ashley sent a friend request to Bladescape. “In case you have any question or something goes wrong.”

Bladescape accepted it with a smile. “I will be back soon enough.”

“Good luck,” Ashley said with a short laugh. “That list is no joke. I don’t expect to see you guys anytime soon. Obviously, I want you back A.S.A.P., but I just gave you a daunting task.”

They exited the large mill that was the seamstress' store. It was three times the size of Lisbeth’s Smith Shop and had two water wheels which powered at least two fabric mills. The rest of the Wondercolts were working with Lisbeth to buy weapons or commission them. Then they would be paying Rendil a visit. Lindarth was where most of the top crafters had migrated to.

11 Wondercolts in Lisbeth’s shop was too many, meaning half of them were outside. By the time Knightstar and Bladescape arrived, Joltron, Astro, Backbreaker, Kiefer, and Lessa had already gotten themselves set up. Thunderborne was going to have enhancements added, but she still was fine with Azure Aculeus and would be for a little while longer, and AFCK’s Geode Splitter was golden until at least floor 80 once it was maxed out with enhancements.

Knightstar and Bladescape entered the shop, for the first time that day, to find Doombunny working with Lisbeth. Doombunny needed two blades. Her hunting blade and her fighting blade, and she was trying to see if they could fit a third blade on her that would be strictly for paralyzing targets. Doombunny made it seem absolutely normal, but Lisbeth was a bit unnerved talking about poisons and drugs that were meant to kill or stop opponents. Each blade had to be and feel different so that Doombunny couldn’t put them in the wrong sheath or grab the wrong blade. The inside of the sheath of her hunting knife was laced with poison to always keep it ready and grabbing it by mistake could have deadly consequences.

Lisbeth had a few knives on her shelves. It saved her a bigger headache when Doombunny and Colorra picked the three blades out. They paid extra to have the handles and sheaths recolored; blue for her regular knife, yellow for her paralyses blade, and pink for her poison dagger.

Diemond still needed a mace, but Bladescape leaned against the counter with a smile, interrupting things. “You look great in that outfit. Better than you did when I first came in.”

“Thanks,” Lisbeth said, rolling her eyes. “I still hate it. But Asuna said give it a little time, so I am. For the price it won’t be a total waste if I stop wearing it.”

“Hey!” Diemond exclaimed. It had a touch of a whine to it.

“Yes, Diemond,” Bladescape said, stopping Diemond from getting into an argument. “I know you need a mace.”

“Right,” Lisbeth groaned. “You guys have soaked up most of my energy.”

“Sorry,” Bladescape chuckled. “I know Doombunny is complicated, and that is putting it lightly. I've lost track of what she carries, weapons wise.”

Lisbeth took a deep breath in and then let it out. “I have five maces on my shelves. Let’s see what you have.”

Lisbeth took a look at Diemond’s mace. “All five are better than this. And with enhancements, they should carry you up near 90. Maces are my real love. I carry one for a reason.”

Diemond chose a mace and Diemond immediately ordered a Toughness Enhancement. Lisbeth had the supplies, so she took it back and began to add the enhancement. She came back out with it, the enhancement taking successfully.

They departed after everything was squared away and walked, as a guild, over to Rendil. His shop was on the other side of the village, but it was still beside another waterway. The whole city was built with waterwheel driven mills. There were a lot of small bridges over the diverted waterways, with a few bigger ones spread out.

Bladescape entered with only Knightstar and Joltron. It was twice the size of Lisbeth’s shop, and 2/3 the size of Ashley’s. It had a decent seating area for waiting customers. At least 12 sets of metal armor were on display, and the walls were lined with shields of all sizes and styles. Most were the typical color of steel or silver, but one was black, another was a deep red, and one was wooden.

“I’ll be right with you,” Rendil said, distracted with a customer.

It didn’t take him long to finish up. He was an older gentleman, with hair that was already graying. It was the opposite of most of the players, but it gave him an air of mastery in his field.

“Now you are three faces I never expected to see in my shop,” Rendil grinned.

“We never expected to be here,” Bladescape smiled back.

“You guys are legendary for being self-sufficient. So, what can I do for you?”

“We are leveling up our gear,” Bladescape explained. “As self-sufficient as we have been able to be, our crafters just are not able to cut it right now. It has been too much time in the field, and not enough experience with the more exotic materials. As for shields, no one makes shields. Our self-sufficiency there has come from drops or purchases from Agil.”

“You guys have grown out of what Agil usually deals with,” Rendil said. “No disrespect meant for him though. He is a fine businessman.”

“It’s a fact,” Bladescape shrugged. “We are here to get one shield taken care of. A paint job from a monster drop.”

“I certainly can take a look at it,” Rendil said. He was getting a bit anxious and distracted. His question answered why. “But the Iron Bulwark, is she here? I would love to see her legendary shield.”

“Yeah,” Bladescape grinned. “The rest of the guild is outside so we don't crowd this place. Let me get her.”

Letting him see Backbreaker’s shield, Floating Bulwark, might cut them better deals. Backbreaker gladly came in. She was excited to show it off to a master shield smith.

“I’m not goin' to put it on your counter,” Backbreaker said to Rendil. “I don’t want to damage it.”

Backbreaker brought up her menu. The shield materialized in front of her with a heavy thud. Backbreaker stood behind it as it covered her up to her chest as it sat on the ground.

Rendil stepped out from behind his counter and walked over to see it up close. “My, my, she is something. She truly looks like she was ripped off the side of Aincrad.”

“That's what the lore says,” Backbreaker replied.

“You got this on Floor 27?” Rendil asked.

“Yep,” Backbreaker grinned. “Flag Mob. The front line was 31.”

“Beautiful,” Rendil said. “May I examine it?”

“Sure,” Backbreaker said with a nod.

Rendil tapped it, bringing up the menu. Like it always had, it just showed the name. Rendil tried to pick it up. He grunted. He was able to lift it off the ground a few inches and stand up straight, but it didn’t last long before he had to put it down with a deep thud.

“Well,” Rendil said wiping his brow. “That sure is heavy. Thank you for not destroying my counter. I have made heavy shields, but not like that. I don’t know how you carry it.”

“The lore is true,” Backbreaker said. “It was torn off the side of Aincrad and given to me, the one who could withstand the Flag Mob’s powerful attacks. And not just withstand, but deal my own real damage. After I proved myself, he gave it to me, for me to use. It’s a legendary item, but not a unique skill. The higher Floors we unlock, the stronger and heavier it gets. I still take impact damage, but it's reduced, soaked up by the shield. Unless I falter, then I take more.”

“Thank you, Iron Bulwark. That was a real treat. There is no other shield like that. But, I believe we have real business.”

“Yes,” Bladescape said, focused on the business at hand. “Joltron has acquired a shield in a dungeon boss Last Attack Bonus. We are wondering if we can get it painted to our colors. We don’t have anyone who can do shields. Diemond can do some for basic painting, but that is all.”

“Alright, let’s see it,” Rendil smiled.

Joltron opened his menu and out came the Obsidian Shield.

“Interesting,” Rendil said, scratching his chin as he opened the object’s menu. “I have made slightly better than this, but I can’t add the extra effects.”

“Extra effects?” Knightstar asked. “I never actually looked at it in detail. It was shown to me and Joltron knew its base stats were better than what he had, but no actual details were discussed. We were prepping for the big sale."

“Well, for a heavy shield, I can tell it is an LAB drop because it also boosts Agility by +2, Speed by +2, and -20% to the post skill delay. Those are very odd effects for a legendary heavy shield. You will see strength or health modifiers, but usually only one. Giving movement to a tank is very interesting, especially since they don't usually need to strike. But it is a very good drop.

“Now, you wanted what done with this?”

“Painting,” Joltron said. “I would like to get it painted in our colors if we can. We do want to look uniform and together. As much as possible. Not just flying the same colors like the DDA.”

Rendil snorted a laugh. “No problem. I have an idea or two. Can I have a sample so I can match the colors?”

Joltron pulled out his previous shield and set it on the counter. Rendil took both and headed into the back.

Bladescape looked at all the shields on the walls. There was a wide variety. Rendil might be able to make the same shields for them to use.

“BB, please go get the rest of our shield users,” Bladescape asked.

Backbreaker nodded and headed to grab them.

“What are you thinking?” Knightstar asked.

“I bet he can standardize our regular shields. We should at least find out. We won’t be able to do anything with the big shields, but the others we can.”

“Good idea,” Knightstar nodded. “The cost of our new weapons were not bad, so we still have funds.”

The others came in and Bladescape told them to just hang out and keep quiet so they could do business unimpeded.

Rendil finally came back with Joltron's shields. The red on the Obsidian Shield had been replaced with Wondercolts' Blue, but the obsidian gems were still black. Narrow stripes of their yellow had been added through the middle of each blue V, giving the appearance of eight chevrons pointed towards the center of the shield.

"I was able to put a blue application over the red," Rendil explained. "I put it on and then forgot to tell you some specifics."

"That's fine," Bladescape said. "It looks great."

"It does, but an application has its own durability. I should have warned you. You will have to come in and have it redone. Either by me, or by another crafter who can make the color applications. Obviously I would prefer me. Since I didn’t warn you ahead of time, I am going to give you a 20% discount.”

“Thank you,” Knightstar said. “That is appreciated.”

Joltron insisted on paying with his private funds.

“We have another question,” Knightstar said after the transaction was done. “What would it cost to upgrade us to uniformed shields? I use a shield and so does Lessa. Diemond also uses a heavy shield. Shields have always been the main problem with our image.”

Rendil grinned as he leaned on the counter. “Oh, I can help you. I can make you shields; blue with your yellow horse heads on them. I can trim them with gold too. I could do the heavy shield in a unique design to keep your three big shields intentionally special. The other two can be the same kite shields.”

Rendil grabbed an elongated almond shaped shield off the wall. “This is a full kite shield. Both of you try it.”

Lessa and Knightstar liked the shape and feel.

Rendil pulled another shield off the wall. “This is a style that would work well for a tank. It is rather unique. I call it the Warrior Shield, since there is not a technical name for this style.”

Diemond took it. Sitting on the ground its top came up to her sternum, and it was as wide as she was too. It was unlike most shields of the same size, which tended to be rectangular Tower Shields. The bottom half tapered to a point like a heater shield and the top half was pulled in symmetrically on both sides with gentle concave curves that came to points where they met with the top rim which arched shallowly. It almost looked like a giant arrowhead with a shallow notch and blunt point.

“I like it,” Diemond declared. “This style will be perfect.”

They settled on the price and they paid up front. Rendil could guarantee them the finished product. He had what he needed in stock; it would just take a few days to turn them out.

“Alright,” Rendil said, his smile turning wry. “I have another question. One that will solve some things that were discussed earlier. Diemond, you need to learn to diversify your armor style and materials, correct?”

“Yes,” Diemond nodded. “I am too... um... well it pains me to say it, but I am too conventional. I am not used to the new variety of materials in a virtual world."

“It isn’t easy,” Rendil admitted. “I have been playing these types of games since they came out. I have learned how they work, and even though the mode to play has changed, it still has some predictable patterns. And that gave me an edge. I'm too old to fight, so I went to crafting to make sure you guys have the best.

“My offer is simple. For a daily fee, I'll take you on as my apprentice for the next week. I'll teach you how to flesh out the use of virtual materials. You will learn more armor styles and be able to provide your guild with more things made by your hands. That keeps you more self-sufficient.

“It won't be hard, but it will require more of a cost because you will need to buy materials for your own projects. I can still take you to the next level with your armor crafting, and probably help your leather and tailoring armor crafting as well."

Diemond squealed with joy and then stopped. "Apprentice? But... but... I've never been an apprentice. Even learning, I was an intern at worst."

Backbreaker put her heavy armored hand on Diemond's armored shoulder. "Die, you don't need to worry about the name. At the end of all this, you're still a fashion designer, and in game, being an apprentice, well it doesn't mean a whole lot. You're just learnin' a new skill."

Diemond took a deep breath in and let it out. "Alright. I'll take you up on the kind offer. Everything I do in here, well it does actually help me stay sharp and even improve what I do I.R.L."

“Wonderful!” Rendil exclaimed. “8am tomorrow morning then. I will message you a list of what to bring. For now, I will get on these shield orders for you. It will take me a day or two. I need to acquire some material. My runners are busy right now. None of it is very special materials. Also, Diemond will be here to pick them up.”

“Thank you again,” Diemond said.

They all thanked Rendil and departed.

“Once we get back to HQ, I need a tally of what weapons you acquired,” Knightstar said.

They had lost half a day, and they still had shopping to do. Knightstar got the list of acquired and current weapons compiled.

Bladescape: Harmonic Salvation
Knightstar: Justicarian Scale
Thunderborne: Azure Aculeus +12
Backbreaker: Commissioned Hammer
AFCK: Geode Splitter +1
Diemond: Earthwarden +1
Doombunny: Mourning Protector, Shadowsong (Paralysis), Endbringer (Poisoned)
Astro: Commissioned Jumonji Yari (Cross spear)
Kiefer: Commissioned Katana
Lessa: Commissioned Longsword
Joltron: Starlight Axe

The Obsidian Shield had been painted, they had one Heavy Shield and two Kite Shields on order, and there was a list of things they needed to find. Astro needed to obtain an Ironwood pole, Backbreaker, Kiefer, and Lessa needed to gather several types of metals.

Finally, Bladescape needed to get her items. She was determined to find them on her own. They still needed to be on the front lines, and had been off them for five days because of the sale and upgrade. Bladescape would depart early and leave Knightstar and Backbreaker instructions.

Bladescape messaged Argo. Argo wasn’t available to meet, but she was able to give Bladescape information on the Blue Stones, Dagannoths, and Giganthum Flower Petals. They planned a meeting where Bladescape could pay for the information.

AFCK didn’t ask any questions when Bladescape asked for high durability food. She just packed her two days' worth and gave it to her.

Bladescape went to Doombunny to get more poison. Doombunny asked questions, but after getting the run down on the Dagannoths, she allotted Bladescape more for hunting. Doombunny was still trying to decide how to wear her three knives. She would beat the system's restriction for only one weapon sheath allowed. She had with her two previous blades. A third would eventually be worked out.

Bladescape spent the rest of the day throwing knives to train her Blade Throwing Skill. The knives had better durability and could be reclaimed. The picks she was using were high tier and expensive. Plus, she didn’t need to be wasting poisons by throwing them at a training target.

Bladescape (SS): Lvl 78 – Two-Handed SwordSearchWeapon DefenseLeather Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Sprint – Acrobatics – Blade Throwing – Extended Weight Carry
Knightstar (TS): Lvl 68 – One-Handed SwordShieldEquipment AppraisalParry – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Search – Armor Pierce
Thunderborne (RBD): Lvl 71 – RapierSprintAcrobaticsArmor Pierce – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Leather Armor – Weapon Defense – Extended Weight Carry – Search
Backbreaker (AJ): Lvl 74 – Heavy ShieldOne-Handed War HammerExtended Weight CarryHeavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Fishing – Search – Martial Arts – Acrobatics
AFCK (PP): Lvl 71 – Two-Handed AxeParryCookingWeapon DefenseMartial Arts – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Thrown Weapon – Musical Instrument
Diemond (R): Lvl 71 – Heavy Shield – Mace – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Heavy Metal Armor – TailoringLight Metal Armor ForgingHeavy Metal Armor Forging – Jewelry Making – Extended Weight Carry
Doombunny (FS): Lvl 68 – One-Handed Dagger – First Aid – HideSearchListening – Battle Regeneration – Fighting Spirit – Familiar Communication (Colorra) – Drug Mixing – Reveal
Astro (PS): Lvl 71 – Two-Handed Spear - Purchase Negotiation – Armor Pierce – Acrobatics – First Aid – Light Metal Armor – Battle Regeneration – Weapon Defense – Parry – Extended Wight Carry
Kiefer: Lvl 68 – One-Handed Curved Blade – Parry – Weapon Defense – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Slash Weapon Forging – Katana – Martial Arts
Lessa: Lvl 68 – One-Handed Sword – Shield – Light Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Equipment Repair – Metal Equipment Repairing – Armor Pierce – Search
Joltron: Lvl 72 – One handed Axe – Heavy Shield – Heavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Metal Refining – Blunt Weapon Forging – One Handed Weapon Creation – Two Handed Weapon Creation – Extended Weight Carry

PreviousChapters Next