• Published 13th Dec 2011
  • 16,785 Views, 1,221 Comments

The Ambassador's Son - Midnightshadow



A colt loses his family, Celestia deems his best hope lies not with ponies, but a dragon.

  • ...
31
 1,221
 16,785

The Warrior Inside

═ The ══════════
Ambassador's
══════════ Son ═

Chapter Four
The Warrior Inside
An MLP:FiM Fanfiction by Midnight Shadow


Sharptooth woke first. He yawned and stretched, before nosing the gently snoring pile of blankets and hooves that was his son. Chip yawned, and then belched.

“Good grief, you’re more dragon than I realised, Chip my boy. You may not breathe fire, but you can certainly rival the best when it comes to morning breath. Up you get!”

The pile of blankets and hooves shook, indicating the negative. “No. Don’t wanna.”

“Chip...”

“Nooo.”

Sharptooth sighed. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“Today’s flying lesson and magic lesson day.”

“So?”

“So I don’t have wings. They won’t... they won’t teach me to fly. They won’t teach me magic. That means I’m left with the ponies and Butch.”

“Ah, the dog-troll? Hmm, well, as a dragon I think it is my right to teach you how to fly privately. What say you miss morning class, and I give you some private lessons instead?”

Chip poked his muzzle out from the pile, the blankets forming a cloak around his head. One ear flicked free, perking up with hope. “Really?”

“Really, but one thing first.”

“What?”

“Fierce, poisonous gas-breathing dragon or not, you have to clean your teeth. And eat some breakfast.”

♦♦♦

So it was that Chip found himself on top of what he was rapidly deciding to call dragon lesson mountain in the harsh morning sunlight as a cold wind whipped around him. Summer was over, autumn was fast approaching, and the winds had changed. Apple and cinnamon porridge warmed his stomach and he felt surprisingly good.

His thoughts drifted to the night before, he really was an orphan now, he felt it in his bones. The scroll had made it real, he knew it wouldn’t stop there and there would be more tasks to see things through, but the reality had settled in his mind. He was sad, he was lonely, and he would miss his parents. He would cry, he would mourn, but whilst he was lonely, he was not alone.

I’ve made my decision, Chip thought, I’ll call him Dad.

“Today, son, I thought we’d skip the flying lessons,” said Sharptooth as he ambled up to the colt with a small but ornate metal case.

“Huh? But you said...”

“If you don’t tell them, I won’t. I think you’ll like this, though. How many of those trolls are there, did you say?” Sharptooth placed the case on the ground and opened it up.

“F-four?”

“Hmm, one for each hoof. An even match for a dragon. I think we need to tip things just a little more in your favour though. These... used to belong to me. Now they are yours.”

Chip looked down at the metal case. Inside, lined in velvet, were a collection of metallic shapes—hoops, angles, blades, balls and chains. “What are they?”

“These are training spikes. When dragons make war, especially with other dragons, they wear armour and weapons. These, son, are weapons of war.”

“War!?”

“Relax, Chiphoof Irontail Leatherback, I am not sending you to war. The reason I am giving you these is precisely because I want you to know how not to fight. These are not toys. You will do them honour when you wear them; you will honour myself and your family when you wear them. There are few things dragons hold sacred, but war is one of them.”

“Y-you want me to... wear them but not use them?”

“Quite.”

“I d-don’t understand. Why?”

“You are more than a match for any mere diamond dog, Chip, training spikes or no. What you need to be, however, is a match for yourself. When dragons fight, it is as a last resort. With these, you are a fighting dragon. I expect, son, that you are aware of both of these facts.”

Chip gulped. “I-I-I won’t let you down, Dad.”

Sharptooth smiled. “Then come. Today we will use two pieces, both for your tail. You will wear them, you will train with them, you will learn how to use them and what they mean. When you go to school today, you will wear them also. If you decide you do not want them at school, then in future you may go without. Clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

“And no ‘sir,’ thank you very much.”

The first piece was like a winged hawk. Sharptooth threaded it through Chip’s tail all the way to the croup, where he fastened it tight. The wings were sharp and the beak was an upwards-pointing hook that split his tail in two. Then Sharptooth took another piece, a set of five balls that fit right on the other end of Chip’s tail like a normal tail-band would.

Chip shook himself, it felt very strange. “What do they do?”

“By themselves? Nothing. Today we will concentrate on the tip of your tail. The baseplate is for contact-fighting; the wings cut and the spike digs. Both protect you from a bite from behind as well as allow you to combat attacks to your flanks—they will deflect missiles and turn claws. That is not the lesson for today, however. Today, we focus on your tail. When a dragon swings his tail, it is a fearsome weapon. It can shatter bones; its mere impact can kill lesser creatures. You, therefore, will concentrate on breaking rocks without breaking yourself.”

Sharptooth pointed toa rock. “Break it.”

“What?”

“Swing your tail at it and break it.”

Chip eyed the formation suspiciously. He swung his tail in an arc experimentally and then pirouetted his body. His tail spun through the air, grazed the rock and missed. It slapped into his ribs. “Ow!”

“This is why you need training. Know yourself, understand your body, young one. Forget motion, for now. Move your body into position and then concentrate on only your tail.”

Chip did so. He backed up until he could tap the rock with his hind hooves, then he lifted his tail and swung it. The balls hit the rock, bouncing off.

“Good! Again!”

Chip did it again.

“Now, do you know where your tail is?”

Chip nodded.

“Then do as before, but first arch your tail before swinging it up and around. Aim for it to whip out, not around. If there are many enemies, needs must your tail change direction at will. It can do that better when the direction of motion is stopped by the previous target. When you fight, your mind must be on your next move whilst your body is performing the first, this way you are always at least one step ahead of yourself. When you can break that rock in two, young dragon, then there will be nothing more I can teach.”

Chip glared at the rock. He imagined it was Butch, that big dumb stupid ugly stinky mutt. He reared up, kicked his front legs and galloped at the rock. At the right moment, he arched his tail. He brought it up, spun it around, twisted his body, extended his back legs, caught the ground and flicked.

His tail shot out like a missile, slamming into the rock. Sparks flew as the weapon embedded itself. Chip stood there, breathing heavily, before tugging on his tail.

It was caught.

“Daa-aad!”

Sharptooth laughed and pulled the recalcitrant tail free. “Did you really think there would be nothing more for me to teach you, today?”

Chip grumbled. “Breaking a rock though?”

“Watch.”

Chip stood back. Sharptooth, with a similar device on his own tail, took to the skies. The dragon lifted up, around, disappearing into the sun. It was from this position of strength that the dragon dived. He spun his body, claws digging into the rock and gouging great rivets, as his tail spun through the air. It slammed into the rock, which exploded.

That, young dragon, is why you need training.”

♦♦♦

The great dragon-shape lifted off into the skies as Chip trotted towards school. Clutched in his muzzle was a scroll informing the teacher of his private tutoring. Delivering it, Miss Calligraphy Quill scowled but said nothing. Chip was allowed to pass and fetch himself lunch. Vegetable fries, potato chips, he believed they were called, with a mixed vegetable wok cooked in a sauce made from something called a coconut. He’d never tasted anything quite like it, and he decided he liked it.

Collecting his tray in his muzzle, he searched about for Carmine. Spying her and her friends at a table, he began trotting towards them.

“Missed you at school today, dragon-boy. Where were you?”

“Fi faf fyfing feffonf!” said Chip through the tray, coldly glaring at Butch. His tail twitched, it would be so easy. He grit his teeth on the tray so hard he heard it squeak.

“You don’t even have wings, dragon-boy!” Butch laughed. His cronies laughed.

“Fiff fy faff.”

Chip moved to leave. Butch, being Butch, stuck a paw out to trip the pony. Chip, having had lessons all morning explaining to always be one step ahead, stepped rather smartly on the paw, giving his hoof a twist as he passed. Butch yelped and snarled, but Chip had moved on.

“What was all that about, Chip?” asked Carmine as he put his tray down at the table.

“Just Butch being a butt, as usual.”

“Didn’t see you this morning.”

“I had... flying lessons with my dad.”

“You? Flying lessons?”

Chip nodded. “He says I’m a dragon, and he says all dragons need flying lessons.”

Carmine raised one eyebrow, her crest lifting in surprise. “Are you sure your dad’s... you know... all there?” She made a circular motion with one claw near her head.

Chip laughed. “He’s weird, but... he’s my dad, you know?”

“Tell me about it. My dad’s all ‘remember Carmine, the honour of your family rests on you blah blah blah’ and then he goes on about stuff and... eh.”

“Yours too, huh?”

“So, how’d you get to be a dragon? You’re... not exactly...” Carmine waved a claw, indicating a lack of wings, claws and other draconic features.

“Shaped like one? I wasn’t born one, but Sharptooth... I don’t think he thinks it matters. ‘Remember, my son, dragons come in all shapes and sizes,’” Chip intoned, doing his best to sound like Sharptooth. “‘Who says there cannot be a pony-shaped dragon?’”

Carmine snorted into her drink. “Hah! Kinda makes sense though. What happened to... you know.”

“My real parents?” Chip sighed and took a mouthful of his food. His stomach hurt when he thought about it. He chewed and swallowed, almost mechanically. “They died.”

Carmine’s head-feathers lowered. “I’m sorry,” she said after a while.

“Yeah,” said Chip, “me too.”

♦♦♦

School was boring again, until geography and history. History was about the founding of Equestria, which led neatly into geography. A large map was spread out on the floor of the classroom, it was a large and solid rug with pictures and writing woven in. The major outline features were coarser, but detailed spots were in meticulous cross-stitch.

Chip hadn’t realized Equestria was so big. He looked for one spot in particular, on the South-East, Neighvada. It was far further North than he realized. This map...

“Miss? Where’s the Southern Ocean?”

“Ah, I need to explain that to all of you. We are... yes! Here. Equestria is vast, but our borders are controlled by the Princesses. Legend has it that in previous times, Equestria was alone, in all the Three Realms of Sky, Earth and Water. The sun rose over the Eastern Mountains and set in the Western Sea... but today, the Eastern Mountains lead to the Griffon Realms, and the Western Sea is an Ocean leading to the Great Wilds where the hydra are thought to live. To the South there was once the Endless Ocean, but if you look now, it is the Southern Sea. The dragons are to the South and West, the Naga to the South East. Far, far, far South lie the Ice Trolls, to the North lie the Mountain Trolls, the Pooka and the Windigo. The Diamond Dogs and the Buffalo, amongst others, are a protectorate of the crown right here in Equestria, whilst towns like ours are on the frontiers of Greater Equestria. Once long ago, explorers tried to map the extent of Old Equestria, before the princesses. One such expedition led to the founding of Tacksworn, here in the Southern Expanse. When the Realms shifted, much was lost, but much more was gained. There have been wars in the past, children, over territory and resources—even amongst our own kind, yes! But now, with the Age of Harmony, we are experiencing peace, and our borders and knowledge expand.”

“I... saw a globe once, miss. I always wondered, how do the ponies on the bottom stay on? Won’t they fall off?” asked a curious foal.

Calligraphy Quill laughed, “The shape of Equestria will have to wait for another day, but no, it is not a globe. Some say it once was, but now we know it is something different. For simplicity’s sake, and for sentimental reasons, some maps are not flat and round like this one, they are spherical. One day it may be a globe, but that is a topic best left for advanced topological thaumatics.”

Penny’s eyes grew round. “You can change the shape of Equestria?”

Calligraphy nodded solemnly. “Unicorns of great power can achieve many, many things with magic, but to change the topological properties of all Equestria? I think that’s something best left to the princesses. So! Next week we will begin a new topic, the history of Celestia and Luna, from birth to ascension to Luna’s Banishment and eventual return, just a few years ago! We will also study basic magic, cantrips and curios, including pegasus, unicorn and earth-pony magic.”

“Earth ponies don’t have magic!” scoffed one of the diamond dogs, and there were murmurs of agreement from various other ponies.

“Now that is where you are wrong, children. We all have magic, some subtle, some more obvious. Earth-pony magic is very powerful, but due to its nature is often overlooked. We shall investigate it thoroughly and then there will be a test, so make sure you study!”

There was much groaning and complaining, but the groans soon turned to joy as the bell for the end of school rang and the children collected their things and ran as fast as they could to get away before Miss Calligraphy or one of the other teachers could give them homework.

Chip was one of the last going out the door. He spent an extra few minutes looking at the map, and at Tacksworn, which had been added in after the fact with a tiny little gold star. So far from Neighvada, yet from one way of looking at things, right in the middle of Equestria.

He regretted his tardiness when outside, seemingly waiting for him, were four hairy, long-pawed shapes.

“Where’re you goin’, dragon-boy.”

“Hey Butch. I’m... I’m going home.”

“Not yet, first we’re going to have a friendly little talk.”

“No, Butch.”

“What’s the matter, you chicken? You’re not a dragon at all, nor a pony. You’re a chicken. You know what? Diamond dogs eat chickens.”

Chip splayed his ears back, widening his stance and flexing his knees. “Get lost, Butch. I’m not gonna get into trouble fighting you.”

“Afraid Miss Calligraphy’s gonna give you detention?”

Chip shook his head, gritting his jaw at the sneers. “No, I promised my dad I wouldn’t fight.”

“You’re a chicken, and so’s your dad. Buck-buck-bukkaw!”

Chip pawed the ground. “Shut up, Butch. I’m not scared of you.”

“Oh yeah, prove it.”

Chip took one step forwards. Digger and Dozer, not to mention Ruff, took a step back. To his credit, Butch didn’t.

“Come at me, chicken-boy.”

Chip breathed deeply, letting his anger seethe and boil in his stomach... and then he pushed it out with his breath in a long sigh. Chip snorted. “You’re not worth it, mongrel.” He trit-trotted past the shocked diamond dog and headed away.

There was a sudden grab on his tail.

“What did you call me?”

“Sorry, that was mean. I apologize, now please, let go of my tail.”

“Make me.”

Chip flexed his tail, it caught Butch in the gut, and the dog-troll reflexively let go. “I’m going home now, Butch; just stay away from me.”

“You and your sissy chicken jewelry aren’t going anywhere.”

Butch leaped, claws outstretched, and he grabbed Chip by the haunches.

Ponies, whilst they are civilized intelligent beings, are also creatures of instinct. One such instinct governs reactions to being pounced upon, and that is called fight or flight.

Chip bucked, flicked his tail, and kicked his hooves.

In retrospect, Butch was lucky that he only got slammed with the hooves and tail. Had he been foolish enough to go for the traditional killing move of the diamond dog, and bite a chunk out of Chip’s neck, he probably would not have survived the spike. As it was, Chip’s powerful back legs slammed into Butch’s chest, lifting him into the air. In the same movement, Chip almost instinctively whipped his tail up. The balls on the end of his tail caught the surprised diamond dog in the face, throwing him backwards. Butch yelped and rolled, leaped up again and slammed himself into Chip’s flank, rolling them both over. Butch bared his fangs as he straddled the pony. Chip was on his back, belly exposed. Butch lifted a claw and prepared to swipe... and that’s when Chip hoofed him in the crotch.

“IN CELESTIA’S NAME WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!?” shouted a voice. Southern Storm, his countenance matching his name perfectly, thundered out of the classroom with his wings half spread, with Whisp Spark the unicorn not far behind.

“Fighting? I thought we had informed you children that fighting was not to be tolerated! Who started this? Out with it!” roared Whisp.

Four sets of paws pointed at Chip.

“Chiphoof Irontail Leatherback. I am most disappointed with you. If you think you will get any special treatement because your father is an ambassador, you have another thing coming! I will notify your father at once and...”

“I’m going to regret this,” grumbled another voice, as Carmine landed and folded her wings away. “Sir, it wasn’t Chip. He did everything he could not to start a fight.”

“Is this true?”

Carmine nodded. “Butch called him and his father a chicken, pulled his tail and then pounced him.”

Whisp turned to Butch, face scowling. “Is this true? Well?”

Three sets of paws pointed instead, now, at Butch. Butch nodded, meekly.

“Come with me. You three, home, now. You too, Miss Wildfeather, Master Longback.”

Chip lay in the dirt, breathing hard.

“That was pretty awesome, dragon-boy.”

“Why’d you speak up? I thought you liked Butch?” Chip look up at the griffon as she peered down at him.

Carmine preened a claw thoughtfully. “Naa. He’s a butt. I like you.”

“Oh?” Chip grinned.

“Not like that, you... you... you huge butt. Ugh!” Carmine stormed off.

Chip lay there, in the dirt, smiling. She likes me, he thought, today couldn’t get any better.

Just then, a large dragon-shaped shadow loomed over him.

“Fighting on school property, hmm?”

Oh horseapples.

♦♦♦