• Published 5th Apr 2019
  • 3,517 Views, 151 Comments

The Alchemist's Dream - L Drkheart



Spike has grown as an outcast in dragon society with one exception but he is now leaving the safety of his home for the mystery of the world he had been denied.

  • ...
2
 151
 3,517

Dis-Harmony

“So Twilight, tell me again why we were all called to Canterlot. After we all totally saved the city, I thought things would be more peaceful for a while besides why call us when they have the princesses.” A rather bored Rainbow Dash questioned Twilight who was trying to study spells while Spike took notes for her. Rarity was making some umbrella hats/suits for all her friends so they would be okay through all the chaotic weather outside. Fluttershy was tending to animals that were allowed to hide in the train cars until the strange weather stopped. Applejack was looking out the window at the madness that would come then vanish and come back, feeling disturbed that the earth was being treated like a plaything. Pinkie was the most joyous, wondering what crazy thing could happen next while her Pinkie Sense went crazy and she hopped around.

“I already told you that the princess called us to Canterlot for an important mission, I have full faith that she has already come up with a brilliant plan to stop all this craziness.”

“Why would she want to? It’s chocolate rain!!” Pinkie asked but before Twilight could answer, it was Applejack that spoke.

“No Pink, this is unnatural. Can’t you feel that deep sadness all around? It’s like the world itself is asking us for help, we have to stop this no matter what!” None of the others understood what Applejack was feeling but her tone convinced Pinkie to relax a bit and she nodded to her friend. Spike looked ahead at the conductors of the train, a bit of pride swelled up as he saw it was using his design so no pony would have to pull the train, even if this was only the prototype. The train finally stopped and all stepped out to see Canterlot in all its glory. Many of the structures were still under construction after the Katrina siege and nopony was daring enough to leave their homes. As they approached the castle there were several pedestals still getting made but the plaques showed their purpose.

“Here stands a statue in commemoration to the citizens of Canterlot who bravely stood beside the royal guards of the sun and moon against the forces of evil.”

“These statues are made in thanks to the Holders of the Elements of Harmony and the service that they have given to the good of all of Equestria.”

“This final statue is dedicated to the young colts and fillies that braved their fears and fought for their home and to Spike the dragon who entered the fray and lost an arm for people who weren’t his own.”

“The princess showed me what my statue was gonna look like, it was gonna be me with the CMC beside me. I didn’t ask for the statue but Celestia said that the city petitioned for it, crazy huh?” Twilight smiled at him and walked to where hers and the other girls’ statue was being made.

“It’s not so crazy, we were a lot the same way with one exception.” Everyone turned to Rainbow who had the decency to look guilty.

“What? If the city wants to build a statue showing off my awesome achievements then who am I to take that right away from them? When AJ won that award we didn’t try taking it from her.”

“There is a difference when it comes to an award and a giant statue. Now let us go darlings, can’t keep royalty waiting forever!” Spike jumped on Twilight’s back as they started to go in, but the feeling of eyes watching him washed over Spike and he got off saying that he would join in a moment before he looked around and decided to test this stalker. He whistled nonchalantly and walked into the gardens of the castle with occasional glances back.

The girls ran to the throne room where Luna and Celestia waited. Celestia looked ready to help the group while Luna was… for the lack of a better word tired. She had heavy bags under her eyes and leaned on the arms of her thrones more than she should have been. Her eyes would close and then pop open before shutting again.

“Ahh my little ponies, I’m so glad you were able to arrive so quickly with everything happening.”

“Princess, what is going on!? All of Equestria is in chaos! All my magic is failing and when we were able to get everything to stop it just started all over again! I-” Twilight stopped mid-ramble as the princess held up a hoof and led the girls away, taking a moment to look back at her sister who had stayed up all night and day.

“YOU'RE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE!!”

“She’s fine, follow me ponies.”

. . .

Spike wandered around coming to the entrance of a giant labyrinth and a bunch of statues. Most were of ponies but one was of something that Spike didn’t recognize. The familiar sound of flapping dragon wings from behind Spike made him freeze, whether it was from fear or something else he was unsure.

“Ember… I missed you.” He turned to see a glaring blue dragon, she was taller and leaner than before with bigger wings, must have gone through another molt while he was gone.

“Spike, if you really meant that then you would have come back like you said… I helped you because I thought you needed to see the world but then you never came back! I tried covering for you but something changed, when he used the scepter to try and make you come to him a magical force stopped it. You made other dragon's leave also, Garble's own sister! With that, he got angry and was gonna send all the dragons he had to come and attack the ponies since he made me tell him what we planned. I convinced him that I would be able to find you and bring you back, and then I did and I found that you saved these ponies. You were treated like a slave to the unicorn and a pet to those princesses, always forced to clean up their messes.”

“You’re wrong! I have always chosen to help them out and allowed them to give me magic, nothing was ever forced. I wanted to work for Twilight because she’s my friend and was letting me stay with her without any promise of payment so I became an assistant. Ember, we were wrong about ponies and about ourselves. They have some things here that show that dragons and ponies used to be able to live together and improve each other.”

“There is nothing to improve Spike! We are stronger, faster, and don’t need to get better when we’re the best!”

“It’s that kind of thinking right there that has pushed us away from every other race in Equestria! You and Torch have always told me of the importance of our heritage and that I should be proud of it but where has that gotten us?! I am one of two dragons that ever bothered to read and learn from our past! The things we could show and give to the world, only to let it rot away for not meaning enough to us. This is what I should be proud of!? That our people are nothing but self -serving idiots!” Spike coughed as he felt a clawed hand grab his throat and he began to choke as Ember’s eyes were clouded by anger. “E-Em…” The claw was digging into his neck, breaking the scales under them until his soft voice reached her. Ember blinked as some sense returned to her, letting him fall to the ground in a coughing fit as he tried to catch his breath.

“S-Spike I… you…” Ember stared down at him in shock at what she had done and then her eyes caught sight of the red tips of her claws. His blood, the blood of the dragon she loved like a brother and promised to herself so long ago that she would protect and she was the one that nearly killed him. She turned from him and shot into the air like a bullet as Spike reached out towards her and began to tear up at the thought of losing his first real friend.

“How sentimental~” Spike turned to come face to face with a strange creature that seemed to be made up of a dozen other things. The statue he had been looking at earlier was gone also.

“You were the statue… who-”

“Oh pish posh my dear dragon, the past is the past so why not enjoy the present. Why would you look at that! It’s like the world itself has lost its marbles, it should have asked I have a whole bag.” The being held up a bag and tossed it to Spike who caught it and looked inside, it was just a bag of marbles. “So what was her problem huh? All you want is to live your life and be happy out here but she wanted to take you to the other dragons, back to your little hole in the mountains where you could die a loser.”

“H-how did you? Who...What are you!?”

. . .

“The one causing this insanity is a Draconequus named Discord, a being of chaos and the spirit of disharmony. When Luna and I became alicorns we were given the Elements of Harmony by Starswirl the Bearded and he said that it was our destiny to save Equestria from Discord and bring peace to the ponies and other creatures here. The elements allowed us to turn him into stone, I questioned if I had the right to destroy the statue and end the life of a being so uncontrollable but I didn’t. This is Discord’s nature, not truly a choice, He was born like this and I doubt he could stop being this way even if he wanted but this time he is much crueler and his tricks can hurt ponies.”

“So what changed? I mean if he was always doing this because it was how he was then why try to actually hurt ponies now?”

“Now now that is a fabulous question there Pinkie Pie, and let’s direct it right to the girl with all the answers. Celestia, you would be so happy to know that this is in no way revenge for leaving me encased in store for centuries! You didn’t even have the decency to kill me, instead, you would have rathered me stay a statue for all time. Let me ask you something, how in Tartarus would you feel after that!?” A voice boomed around them until Fluttershy squeaked and pointed at one of the stained glass windows where one of the pictures was moving from window to window. “I think I deserve some fun after the long wait don’t you?”

“If the princess wants you gone then we’ll make sure you get lost!”

“Is that right Rainbow Dash? The element of loyalty but where is the harmony if you are loyal to a tyrant?”

“You take that back, you ruffian! The princess has always been fair and helped every pony she ever met!”

“My poor poor naive Rarity, generosity may be your thing but think hard about this, is being generous all the time any good for a business or a kingdom? You really think the princess was always so kind to all creatures?”

“No, you’re ah liar plain and simple! Ya twisting their elements to fit your own ideas!”

“Applejack, a brave girl and most level-headed of your friends but I know why you are like that. You hold their memories still deep down inside, them and memories of every mistake you ever made in your short life. Now imagine for a moment the secrets that must eat at Celestia in her worst nightmares. A near-immortal life where you can’t be honest and peaceful all the time. You slip up.”

“That’s enough! No more mind games Discord! She told us what you were and You’re just trying to lower our elements and weaken the harmony of Equestria! The princess was the one that brought harmony back all those years ago and now we’ll be the ones that beat you!”

“Ahh yes, Twilight Sparkle. Her prized pupil and holder of the element of magic. Quite impressive for someone so tiny but then again she knew all along what you were and what you will become. You could say she is preparing you for fate or dooming you to a cursed life. Do you think you’re the only one she has trained? No, dear girl, you are only one of the hundreds she has gotten to do her dirty work over the years. In fact, let me tell you all a tiny secret. I may have been stuck in stone all that time but my eyes are everywhere, every creature who hates harmony or like I found it too boring or unfair. I have seen everything from the fall of Luna to the birth of the first Changelings to even your victory over Nightmare Moon.”

“Where are you going with this other than admitting you’re a stalker.”

“My point is I’ve seen everything that has ever gone wrong, My dearest Celestia, She is still alive and what would she think about you just abandoning her? Replacing her with Twilight at the drop of a hat, she thought she was irreplaceable also and now look at where she is!” The laughing figure was silenced as Celestia had fired a blast of magic, shattering the window as she seemed to be disturbed and deeply saddened by what Discord had said. The princess led the group in silence as she opened a door and when it opened and revealed a jewel-encrusted chest but found that it was empty.

“N-No!! The elements were supposed to be safe! That spell was unbreakable!”

“You’re getting old Princess, your spell wasn’t nearly as strong as all those years ago. Now if your little ponies want to get back their precious rocks then they’ll be forced to play a game.”

“I will not put them in danger unless you tell me the rules and no cheating!”

“One is no magic or wings, fairness is key to any game after all.” The girls’ horns and wings vanished and all began to panic before Celestia helped them all relax. “Rule two is that every pony must play or I win.” Celestia was about to object but they all nodded at her, showing that their trust was still in her and that they could do this. Twilight stepped forward.

“We agree to the game, where are the elements?”

To retrieve your missing Elements just make sense of this change of events. Your close friend might be what spells your end. Twists and turns are my master plan. Then find the elements back where you began." With those parting words, the voice was gone and the group began to question every line said and Twilight guessed the elements were in the maze that was outside the broken window. As Fluttershy questioned what friend would become a problem, Twilight looked around and it dawned on her that Spike never came back…

. . .

“Discord… I never heard of a draconequus, but I recognize the words that make up the name. You’re half dragon!”

“Once upon a time when I was as tiny as you yes, I used to have a more understandable form being mostly dragon and pony. It was nowhere as beautifully made as this one but I got by with what I had until I decided that it just wasn’t me. I tore apart my body and turned it into what you see now, to be honest, I don’t even remember what I’m truly supposed to look like.”

“Doesn’t that make you… sad?”

“Sad? My dear dragon, I have never been happier than at this moment because I know exactly who I am. While I was a bit stoned, I watched two new rays of hope raise up in the world recently. One was the elements of harmony being awakened in the hearts of six different ponies and the second was more surprising. That ray of light came from the Dragon Lands and brought with it a hero that the Equestria would use in times of danger.” Spike began to stand straighter as Discord coiled around him. “A dragon who fought for the peace of all creatures, one whose life was a lie kept secret by everyone that he ever loved.”

“W-what do you mean? What do you know about me?!” Discord waved his hand and they vanished from the gardens to the Golden Oaks Library. He led Spike through the tree to a small safe that Twilight had told Spike to never open. He was held back by Discord’s tail as it opened and inside were a bunch of papers, a book or two, and something that made sent a shiver down Spike’s spine. There was broken half of a large spotted purple egg. Spike reached into his bag and pulled out the part he had of his egg and found the two to be a perfect match. “W-why does she have this…”

Discord snapped again and this time the two watched as a young filly Twilight was told that she would need to crack open a dragon’s egg if she wanted to get into Celestia’s school. After a few bad attempts and nearly giving up, a huge explosion of colors from outside awoken her power and one surge hit the egg and it cracked in two while a purple and green baby dragon yawned and stretched. Skipping the boring parts as Discord said, they watched as the baby was taken away and Twilight nearly went after it but was stopped by Celestia who said that baby was nothing more than a test. Twilight looked longingly after the dragon before she agreed with the princess and went back to her parents.

“Could you imagine what would happen to that baby? Not wanted by those that hatched him and treated no better than an object to be thrown away when it’s usefulness was over. Sent away with dragons that despised the way he was hatched while not even telling him. Lied to by his family and friends, they all knew what you were but said nothing and let you live your life as a freak. After everything you’ve done for them…” Spike waved Discord away as the visions around vanished and he was in a dark void where a soft light from nowhere shined down on him. (PSA - The following song is mostly a Disney song with lyrics changed here and there to fit this story)

“I thought I was an outcast, I thought I stood alone

A hero, an alchemist, a dragon, never found a place to call my home

I thought that they loved me, and how could I have known

I was wrong, oh, so wrong

Then I thought I found it, a dream that I could share

I thought I was so lucky, but this twist wasn’t fair

I thought I found my purpose, I thought that I knew where I belong, but I was wrong

Everything I ever thought I knew, where I've been, where I'm going

Everything I counted on turned out to be untrue

Could've guessed, should've known

Now I do

Everything I've gone for, everything I planned

All my sweetest memories were gems made of sand

Now that it's all crumbling, will you help me understand

If none of this was really me, then who am I supposed to be?” Discord snapped and made all the sweet memories that Spike had ever had with Ember or the girls, all the times he had been happy, the moments of heroism, appeared in front of him bathed in light before they all slowly vanished into nothing. Every passing moment the memories were stolen and corrupted as Spike cried and fell to his knees until only memory was left. The image of Twilight smiling at him.

“And everything I ever thought I knew

Every hope, all my feelings

Love and trust and friendship, they're done, they're gone, they're through

And what's left, me alone

Once again, should've known

Now I do…” Finally, the last image vanished and Spike’s light flickered as it was dying, showing the purple and green colors of his scales slowly seep off of him, leaving a gray sobbing dragon.

“I guess my life meant nothing, I guess it was a sham

I guess I'm someone else now, will you tell me who I am…” The last light shut off as Discord laughed and the last bit of light in Spike’s eyes disappeared...

Author's Note:

(I am so very very sorry for the wait everyone, work this week was hell but here it is, the second season truly starts and I hope you all will enjoy even if this one is pretty somber. I wanted to make Discord how he was in the show but a more jaded or pissed off version. I mean Celestia and Luna, but he blames Celestia more, were going to leave him trapped in stone forever instead of just killing him or something that would end his wait but instead they thought he could just be forgotten. That is why this version is more trying to tear down what makes the ponies who they are and their beliefs. That ending, he basically broke Spike's heart and spirit but only since no one ever told him the truth. Anyway, I'll be working the next chapter and one for the Chains of War!