• ...
0
 14
 1,151

Chapter 4


Knock Knock!
Sherlock roused from sleep but kept his eyes shut. Knock Knock again! This time Sherlock thought. There was no way someone would knock on the door if he were in hospital. They’d just wake him. “ Knocking seams hesitant. A door. Wooden oak. Suggests nervousness or anxiety.” Thought Sherlock.
“ John wouldn't do that. Lestrade? I doubt it.” At this he heard the door open. Sherlock now thought it best to open his eyes slowly. He was met with the same room, same bedding and same brighter and more colourful sunlight from the window. That and the same mare from last night standing in the door way watching him as if he were insane. Perhaps he was. If he were still seeing this.

“ Sherlock-”

“ Shush.” Snapped Sherlock pointing a hoof at her. “ The powder is this strong so shouldn't last more than twenty four hours. Judging by my surrounding. It would seem not. Colours, smell,” Sherlock took a large sniff “ Still more vibrant and sweet than reality. Talking mare still seeming to be acting completely on own accord. Computer software wouldn't be able to come up with so many distinct different emotions. AI? Well AI doesn't exist as far as the world knows. Well except from Area 51 but that's irrelevant. But... that's amazingly impossible. Absurd. Insane. Ludicrous.” Sherlock gazed in and out of focus at Twilight. His mind working on overdrive as it sorted out just how it was possible for him to be, dare he think it. In another world.

“ Um, Sherlock I need to ask you-”

“ Be quite!” Said Sherlock shakily. Twilight frowned slightly and ignored him.

“ I was just going to ask if you wanted some breakfast. And that Spike is in the library and that you should introduce yourself.” Replied Twilight with some annoyance. Sherlock looked at her with an emotionless face.

“ Yes.” He said simply.

Twilight shook her head. “ Yes as in you would like breakfast and that you will meet Spike. Or yes, you've just triumphed in something?”

“ Both.”

“ Hmm, alright then. Come out when you're ready.” Said Twilight before she left. Flicking the door shut with her tail. Sherlock ground his teeth together while hobbling out of bed and only just remembering how to stand on all four legs. He scanned the landscape outside the window.

“ Just how is this possible?” He asked himself. The concept of parallel and different universes was all deeply embedded in theory. As of now there haven't been any revaluations or discoveries of others outside his own. He shook his head and proceeded out the door. Struggling to open it with his hooves. He met Twilight in the living quarters of the library and gave her just a slight tilt of his head in acknowledgement. Twilight smiled back before returning to her book. Sherlock stood for a moment not knowing what to do.

“ Twilight! Does this new pony take-” Said a new comer to the room. Sherlock gazed and hid his astonishment well. He was looking at what appeared to be a small dragon. Purple in colour. He would have been more shocked if it weren't for the talking ponies in the first place. He laughed.

“ How quaint. A talking dragon. You must be Spike if i'm correct?”

“ Uh yeah. You're Sherlock?”

“ Hmm, not very bright if you can't tell that the only other pony in the house has the name Twilight here must have mentioned.”

“ Hey!”

“ Just stating the obvious.” Sherlock looked at Twilight for confirmation but received a frown. “ What, everybody was thinking it … oh … only me then.”

“ Twilight, why d'you have to pick this pony up?” Spike groaned.

“ Because he's part of the new detective branch of the royal guard. Detective Sherlock here is doing a routine check up on Ponyvile. Isn't this exciting! Our first real inspection.” Twilight beamed for a moment but saw the look Spike gave her and smiled sheepishly.

“ There's no getting around this is there.... Alright then.” Groaned Spike.

“ Good. Now can you get some more quills from the shops? I'll need a dozen more.” Asked Twilight. Spike nodded and left without another word. Sherlock watched the whole interaction with Twilight and the dragon with some mild amusement. Here were two different species, one presumably meant to hunt and kill the other as prey, chatting and conversing as normal. It was then that Sherlock suddenly witnessed a small tea cup moving on its own accord in a purple aura.

“ What the!” Exclaimed Sherlock while taking cover behind the nearest object which happened to be a sofa.

“ Um what's wrong?” Asked Twilight, very amused at his antics.

“ That cup. Its hovering and there's nothing that can hold it up so...”

“ Magic?”

“ That's absurd. Magic doesn't exist. Its a mere concept to describe tricks. Illusions if you will. How could you possibly stoop low enough to think that an excuse-” Said Sherlock but stopped dead. “ Talking ponies, talking dragon, a whole world populated with ponies. This has to be some sort of trick. No other way. But everything’s screaming otherwise. This can't be real! … Unicorns. Perhaps there was some truth in the myths.” Sherlock stopped his thinking and masked his internal explosion of worry.

“ You've been in Equestria for how long. Twenty six, maybe twenty seven years since your birth i'm guessing, and you don't know what magic is.” Asked Twilight in astonishment. Sherlock – In the process of trying to figure out just what he was witnessing – flat lined his thoughts. How could he possible get around not having saw magic. How could he brush off what must be a daily phenomenon in this world.

“ Sorry, I just forgot that different auras signify different ponies. I'm used to seeing only white. That and I'm an earth pony as you can see.” Replied Sherlock, hesitantly. For a second time within a week, Sherlock found himself shooting blindly into the dark. How could he know that there was possibly more than one colour in this world to show magic. Simple. He didn't. He hadn't witnessed any magic of the sort as of yet. Only ponies awkwardly handling objects that looked like they were sculpted for human hands. He looked back at Twilight who now wore a knowing look.

“ Hmm, I presume that's with working in the royal guard yes. But wait …a certain few don't have white auras for magic. And its a general knowledge that’s so widely known. How could you forget that. Its like forgetting grass is green. Its insane-”

“ The same way that you've just forgotten that or rather haven't noticed Spike walking out the door.” Said Sherlock. Twilight whipped her head around and saw no sign of her assistant. “ And the same way you've just forgotten that you told him to get more quills.” He added. Twilight stared at the door for a moment before chuckling.

“ You know, for a detective. You really don't have that much of a good memory huh?” Said Twilight. Sherlock snorted unamused.

“ No miss Sparkle. I just don't see reason to fill my cranium with useless knowledge.”

“ You call knowing the basics of Equestria useless knowledge?”

“ No, I'm calling knowledge that fills my head and doesn't let me think, useless knowledge.” Replied Sherlock with a sigh. “ Honestly its the easiest thing. You just pick out the rubbish and through it away.” He mimicked taking something out and throwing it away. Twilight stood regarding Sherlock for a moment wondering. Perhaps he was right. Perhaps he was just dedicated to his job so much so that he forgets everything besides the skills needed. She nodded, refusing to carry on the dispute.

“ Well perhaps I should take you on a trip around Ponyville. Get you to meet some of my friends?”

“ As absolutely wonderful as that sounds, “ Said Sherlock. His voiced laced with sarcasm. “ I'll have to decline. I see no reason-”

“ Oh come on.” Huffed Twilight as she physically pushed him towards the door. Sherlock fought to regain balance and pushed himself off Twilight.

“ Alright alright then.”

“ Excellent.” Said Twilight with genuine glee. She pranced out the door with Sherlock in tow. His head was only just getting over the fact that Unicorns grasped real magic here. Sure he had seen unicorns. Many in fact but he had yet to see actual magic. That is until Twilight performed it so fluently. He mentally slapped himself for his stupidity in his outburst. If he were to reside here in secret until he found a way back, he would have to find a way to use the knowledge this world had as if he had been here the whole time.

Once again Sherlock found himself in the open air astride the first real mare he could categorise as an acquaintance. Sherlock looked at Twilight for a moment, mapping out her horn and how it could fit in with her bone structure. He was stupefied at the concept of that great big behemoth of an extension sat upon her head. He studied at for a moment more before his eyes where dragged away by building they had stopped at.

“ This here is the boutique. My friend Rarity works and owns this place. Be a little cautions, she has an eye for fashion.” Said Twilight glancing at the white stallion.

Sherlock blinked once and nodded. “ I'll be on my best guard then shall I?”

“ I guess. She has something to say all the time.”

“ Something about every peace of clothing?” Sherlock said with some skepticism.

“ No not every peace. But any peace of clothing.” She chuckled. Sherlock gave her a flat stare.

“ Alright then. You've more than made your point.” He said while taking a step forward. Twilight smiled and rapped on the door. They found themselves waiting for a few moments before suddenly the door was yanked open in a flash of blue magic and there stood none other than Rarity. Proud owner of the Ponyville Boutique. She smiled when she saw Twilight.

“ Hello there Twilight! Absolutely wondrous to see you as per usual. And my, who is this then?” She asked pointing a hoof to Sherlock. Twilight grinned and glanced at the stallion.

“ This here is Sherlock. He's been sent here to do a routine check up. You know, with the changeling’s and all.”

“ Filthy nasty things if you ask me.” Commented Rarity. Twilight agreed in silence before continuing.

“ Sherlock here is part of the new detective branch -”

“ Detective!”

“ … Of the Royal Guard.” Twilight finished. She wanted to stop her. She wanted to stop Rarity going overboard and swooning more than anything over Sherlock but as she turned to him, all thoughts of having to intervene left her. Sherlock had watched the interaction and had already clocked every aspect of her.

“ Miss Rarity. Please don't mistake my being here as choice. I was simply compelled to come along by Twilight here. Thought it best I get that out the way so you're not swooning over me ... what?”

Twilight didn't dare speak a word with the complete and utter transformation Rarity had gone through. She had changed in a fraction of a second from absolute joy to one of disgust.

“ Well I was about to invite you both in but after that claim I think-”

“ It wasn't a claim miss Rarity. An observation more like. Quite simple to figure out really.” Replied Sherlock. Rarity was about to reply before Twilight stepped in.

“ He's like that. And I'm pretty sure he can't help it.” She said glaring at him while saying the last part. Rarity gave a huff of annoyance before turning around.

“ I suppose if he can't help it then who am I to judge.” She said before entering the house. Twilight made a quick mental note that she didn't deny Sherlock's claim and chuckled. Sherlock glanced at Twilight before walking in. His nose was suddenly bombarded with all different kinds of scents. Sherlock, after a small moment knew exactly what it was. He made other notes to himself as Twilight finally came to.

“ So Rarity. I was wondering if you could give me a hoof with introducing Sherlock here to the others.”

Rarity, who was pouring herself some warm tea looked up. “ Well I can't see why the girls would warm up to him. Tea?”
“ Not for me thanks. Strict enamel enhancing diet I read in this years Dental Care update.” She paused for a moment before smiling. “ As for your question, I think its best we let the girls know we have a detective in our town. Our first one at that!” She exclaimed. Rarity thought for a moment before nodding. She looked over to where Sherlock currently stood, looking out the window.

“ Sherlock, do you perhaps know a Captain named Shining Armour?” She asked. Sherlock wasn't paying attention to the two ponies' chatter but was brought out by Rarity's question. Normally he would just answer truthfully and say he doesn't but knowing the fake rank of detective he gave himself. Technically he should know who this captain was. Sherlock buzzed around his mind for an answer but stopped when he thought of a way.

“ Let me answer your question with another question Rarity. Did you enjoy your visit to the Day Spa today?” He asked. Rarity didn't know what to say. She stared at the stallion with a small amount of fear.

“ How do you know I visited the Day Spa today!?”

Sherlock mentally smiled at his successful bullet dodge. He caught Twilight giving him a slight glare but he could see she wanted to know just as much as Rarity.

“ The scents surrounding us. They're coming from the bottled solutions from that room if I'm correct. I recognised the scent from when I travelled past the Day Spa. That one should have been obvious. And as for knowing you travelled there today. Well you confirmed that for me just there.” He said with a smile. Twilight rolled her eyes at his antics.

“ Well he certainly is something dear.” Said Rarity. She sipped the last drop of her tea before getting up and walking to the door. “ Well Applejack is meant to be coming round here soon anyway. Pinkie will be here because Sherlock's here no doubt. I asked Applejack to give me a hoof with moving things about you see.”

Twilight thought for a moment. “ Well that just leaves Rainbow and Fluttershy-”

“ Who appear to be coming as we speak.” Said Sherlock looking out the window. Sherlock, thanks to pictures and references in both Twilight's and Rarity's house, had gained a little knowledge on her friends. Mostly just names and pictures. Nothing more. Sherlock watched as the two came towards the Boutique but was suddenly startled when his view was blocked by nothing but pink.

Author's Note:

Well then. It. Has. Been. Quite a while D: I must say, I'm very sorry for the prolonged wait. I might have maybe possibly probably most likely let this little gem fall from memory XD BUT NO MORE!
So anyway, I kinda feel like I rushed this a little trying to get it out here. But nevertheless! Here it is, here you go.
Hope you enjoy it!!