• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 3,958 Views, 116 Comments

The Ballad of the Prince-Formerly-Known-As-King-Sombra - MisterEdd



Follow Twilight Sparkle and her reformed coltfriend the former tyrant Sombra

  • ...
8
 116
 3,958

Seeing Double...Ish

If a pin had been dropped...no wait, scratch that. If a feather had been dropped, everypony would've heard it due to the eerie silence dominating the throne room. All eyes had congregated to stare at the odd newcomer, a million different thoughts running through each of their heads. Shining Armor was horrified with a pinch of inquisitive while Princess Cadence was shocked but calmly sitting still, trying her best to rationalize the situation. Twilight, though baffled, did her best to remain composed as she didn't want to frighten the colt more than he already was. As for Sombra?

He looked over the youth, startled by how alike he resembled him, the only differences being little Sombra's bipedal stature and his almost claw-like appendages. Over than that, the colt could pass for a younger Sombra. Or a son. The soon-to-be-prince shook his head. That was a deliberation that needed to be shelved for another time. Hopefully nowhere soon.

"Why are you all staring at me? And why do you look so funny?"

Twilight smiled, moving towards Little Sombra with gradual steps. "It's just...we've never seen anypony like you before. Where are you from, Sombra?"

Though weary of Twilight, he let her advance, apparently finding no reason to fear any harm from the unicorn. "Canterlot. I live there with the ponies that banished my mom. Where am I?"

The colt's words shook Twilight slightly but she decided not to push the issue for now. "This is the Crystal Empire. Like I said, I'm Twilight and I welcome you here." She crouched slowly so that the two were at eyelevel. "Don't worry; I just want to talk, that's all." She slowly reached out to him and whether it was her voice or her posture, he offered up no resistance and allowed her hoof to gently grasp onto his shoulder.

Little Sombra smiled. "You're pretty."

Twilight giggled, "Thank you. You're handsome yourself."

The colt beamed but then stared past Twilight, his eyes finding Sombra and Princess Cadence, his mouth dropping in a terrified grimace. He then proceeded to shrink down, as if using her to shield himself from the gaze of the others. "No, don't let them get me!"

Puzzled, Twilight wrapped a foreleg around Little Sombra and brought him to her chest, glancing around the room to search for an unknown foe. "Who Sombra? Who's going to get you?"

A hand pointed out past her. "The alicorns! They're bad!" Something materialized in Little Sombra's hand and, curling his arm back, lobbed it directly at his adult counterpart, clocking him on the crown on his skull.

"Ow!" Sombra rubbed his skull, and threw at warning glare at a snickering Shining Armor. He then picked up the object, which turned out to be a stone inscribed with a red symbol that had apparently been made out of blood. "He threw a rock at me!"

"And I'll do it again too!" Little Sombra huffed, another identical stone appearing in his hand. Before anypony could blink, he lobbed the stone at Sombra, this time hitting him on the left shoulder. The alicorn grimaced and rubbed his shoulder, catching Princess Cadence snort-laughing at him.

"What's so funny?" He demanded.

"Stop hitting yourself!" The Princess of Love chortled. Sombra shook his head dismissively but joined in once the humor bug bit him. Even Shining Armor's sour mood was brightened by the corny joke.

Twilight rolled her eyes and turned to the colt. "Could you please not throw rocks at them? One is my sister-in-law and the other is my coltfriend."

Little Sombra gawked at her. "You...you're friends with them? They're your family?"

She sighed and drew him a little closer to her. "Yes, they are. I don't know what happened to you but I can tell you that not all alicorns are bad. Princess Cadence over there was my foalsitter and my coltfriend saved Equestria from an evil sorcerer." Twilight turned and gestured for Sombra to step forward. Reluctantly, he agreed. "Sombra, I want you to meet...well, Sombra."

The colt shook his head and stared, recognition developing in his wide eyes. "You have the same name as me. You look like me too. Except your horn's straight and you have wings."

Sombra nodded. "After beating the sorcerer, I became an alicorn. I don't know what it is exactly that I'm supposed to do but I know it's going to be something that'll help Equestria become a better place."

This seemed to pacify Little Sombra. "Well, I guess you're okay. Sorry about the rock-throwing."

"Honestly, I probably would've done the same thing. You said that your mom was taken away?"

The colt nodded sadly. Sombra placed his hoof over Little Sombra's hand. "So was mine."

WELL, THIS IS A TOUCHING MOMENT.

Everypony spun to meet the figure that had suddenly appeared out of thin air. The strange thing was that none of them even detected the stranger teleporting into the room, which was the only way that he could've entered as the only set of doors were locked and watched over by guards. A chill entered the room, no doubt caused by the newcomer's presence. He was tall, being a foot taller than Princess Celestia and was garbed in a hooded cloak of midnight blue. He resembled a unicorn except with a skull for a face and legs that ended in bony three-toed hands and feet. A scythe was clenched in one fist. Nopony had to guess his identity; their instincts screamed at them who the stallion was.

Sombra stared incredulously at the emaciated unicorn. "You-you're Thanatos. I thought you were a myth."

MOST ARE UNDER THAT IMPRESSION SO I WON'T HOLD IT AGAINST YOU. The mortehippus stated simply, his voice like two stones being rubbed together. CONGRATATULATIONS ON THE PROMOTION, BY THE WAY. EVEN I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING. IT'S A FIRST FOR AN UMBRUM.

"If...you don't mind my asking, but why is the Stallion of Death here?" Princess Cadence spoke as diplomatic as possible.

Twin glowing orbs shined in Thanatos' empty eye sockets. YOU MAY ASK. I AM HERE BECAUSE OF THE COLT.

Instinctively, Twilight wrapped her forelegs around Little Sombra. "Why him?"

I WAS DRAWN HERE BY HIS ENTRY INTO OUR WORLD. YOU SEE, THIS YOUNGER VERSION OF SOMBRA IS FROM A PARALLEL UNIVERSE AND SUCH BREAKS IN THE INTERDIMENSIONAL BARRIER ARE OF INTEREST TO ME. AFTER ALL, THE AFFAIRS OF LIFE AND DEATH ARE OF GRAVE IMPORTANCE TO MY DUTY AS A SOUL-COLLECTOR.

Twilight nearly toppled over when Thanatos abruptly appeared right in front of her. He hadn't moved or teleported. One minute he was far away and the next minute he was simply closer. Nevertheless, an almost maternal need to protect the child took control of the purple unicorn and she clutched protectively at Little Sombra.

Thanatos must've read Twilight's mind as he said, FEAR NOT, TWILIGHT SPARKLE. I MEAN THIS SOMBRA NO HARM. THOUGH YOUR DEVOTION TO HIS WELL BEING IS ADMIRABLE.

Little Sombra nodded at Twilight and she hesitantly released him, allowing him to stand directly before the Pale Horse. "Wow. You're tall. You remind me of my mom."

AH YES, LORELEY. ANOTHER ASPECT OF DEATH INCARNATE.

"'Another'?"

Thanatos turned to Sombra. DEATH IS A UNIVERSAL CONCEPT. THEREFORE, I EXIST IN ALL DIMENSIONS IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER. THEY ARE ME YET I AM NOT THEM. ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATIONS COME IN ALL FORMS. He then focused once more on Little Sombra. THIS ONE HAS BEEN IN THE PRESENCE OF DEATH. I WILL BE WATCHING YOU, YOUNG ONE. Then Thanatos vanished as though he were never there.

"He seemed nice," Little Sombra commented, surprisingly calm for having met the immortal and timeless Harvester of Souls.

"Um, sure," Twilight shuddered. It would certainly be an experience that she would never forget. "Would you like something to eat, Sombra?"

The colt nodded and took her hoof into his hand. "Could I have a peanut butter on rye sandwich? With no crusts?"

The adult Sombra stared incredulously. That's my favorite sandwich too! Faust, this is kind of creepy.

Twilight giggled and tousled his mane. "Of course you can. Follow me!" The two left the throne room, followed by a still-dazed Big Sombra. Princess Cadence smiled and shook her head. She then found Shining Armor rubbing his temples.

"Shiny? What's wrong?"

"Now...there's two of him. I regret getting out of bed this morning."