• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 784 Views, 4 Comments

Light and Darkness – The Shadow of Midnight - Rakoon1



It’s time to solve the mystery surrounding the two twin princesses of the Light Kingdom, a mystery that will put one of the twins on a path to overcome her own darkness in order to control her own power.

  • ...
2
 4
 784

Hunting the Predator

Before they could start another day of school, the Cutie Mark Crusaders had arranged on Apple Bloom’s room a meeting with Purple Smoke, where they showed him the mysterious watch that Scootaloo had found.

“So, what do ya think, Purple?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It’s fascinating…” Purple Smoke said. “I’m a talented watchmaker, obviously, but this design… it’s something I’m unfamiliar with. It’s out of my time.”

“Having in count that you spent a thousand years hibernating…” Scootaloo started, receiving soon a hard look from Purple Smoke. “Sorry.”

“The thing is that not knowing how it was built makes it difficult to know how it works or its finality” Purple Smoke replied, looking to the watch moving anticlockwise. “If only we knew its origin…”

“Well… there is a possibility for that question” Sweetie Belle told. “Maybe it belongs to that crocodile that attacked Silver Wind. It must have dropped it when it was fleeing.”

“Crocodile?” Purple Smoke asked. “What crocodile?”

“Yesterday, we had one of those dream visions you warned us about” Scootaloo said. “It was about Silver Wind and we sensed that she was in danger.”

“She was attack’d by a weird crocodile” Applejack said.

“Yeah, and it was really focused on getting Silver Wind” Sweetie Belle told.

Purple Smoke thought about that and then he asked:

“That crocodile you’re talking about didn’t had by chance a skin that looked like rock?”

“Yes!” the three mares replied.

“So you’ve dealt with a possible pawn of the talent thief” Purple Smoke replied. “His name is Cragadile. Believe me when I say that he’s very dangerous.”

“Ah, he didn’t seem that dangerous too me” Scootaloo said. “He was just any other crocodile. He was bigger than any crocodile I know, but still a crocodile.”

“Don’t let his aspect fool you” Purple Smoke advised. “Cragadile can adapt to any environment. When you saw him, he may had short limbs, but I bet with you that now he has them longer and now he’s quicker.”

“An’ don’t forget that creature was immune tah yer attacks, Scootaloo” Apple Bloom told.

“He got lucky because I don’t control my powers that much” she replied.

“That has nothing to do with the control you have over your power” Purple Smoke replied. “Cragadile is immune to direct attacks because of his tough skin. Perhaps you can read his moves if you use the right tracker.”

“Great, now we have to find somepony that can track a ginormous crocodile that can look like rocks” Scootaloo said.

She heard a cough that came from Purple Smoke that then pointed to himself.

“Oh, right…”

“But why don’t ya turn into Silver Wind usin’ yer shapeshiftin’ abilities?” Apple Bloom asked. “If Cragadile is still around, he won’t resist in attacking her.”

“That won’t work” Purple Smoke said. “Silver Wind had already gotten her Cutie Mark and had embraced her talent completely. They need talents that are about to bloom, either by discovering it or having their dreams come true and since it’s quite possible Cragadile is after another talent, he may be still around.”

“Are you sure of that?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Cragadile is efficient in his work and doesn’t give up until he gets want he’s after” Purple Smoke explained. “After the failure he suffered, I bet he won’t hesitate in completing his mission.”

“Then let’s get him” Scootaloo said.

Soon after their Science and Magic class, the twins got out of the class with Silver Wind.

“I can’t believe the amount of homework Professor Xenon gave to us” Silver Wind said. “And I was thinking in practicing this new dance move.”

“Tell me about it” Midnight said. “I always have troubles in taking notes of what he says. It’s like he has pleasure in torturing us with all his quick talking and great amount of homework.”

“Come on, girls, he’s not that bad” Sunny told.

“It’s easy for you to say that” Midnight replied. “You take after mom and Star in this kind of stuff.”

“And you too… but not the in the way I do” Sunny replied.

“Hey, if you three want, we can make a study section together at the library” Cozy Glow said, joining the conversation.

“That’s a great idea, Cozy Glow!” Sunny exclaimed. “I’m in.”

“Me too” Silver Wind said.

“Well, I’m not” Midnight said. “I think I’ll ask Star to help me.”

She started to move away, but Sunny went after her and said:

“Oh come on, Midnight, you have to overcome that little dislike you have for Cozy Glow. I bet if you get to know each other better you can be great friends.”

“Sunny, I know you like to see the best in ponies, but that doesn’t work for me” Midnight said. “Perhaps that one of the characteristics of being a dark twin.”

“Don’t say that” Sunny said. “You just need to meet Cozy better. And this study section may be what you need.”

Midnight thought and, logically, Sunny was right. But then she turned to Cozy who was talking with Silver Wind. The little pegasus then gave a look that, despite appearing sweet and innocent, really gave Midnight the wheelies.

“No, I prefer this way” Midnight hasted to say.

Seeing the disappointment in Sunny’s face, Midnight felt bad for her twin and so she added:

“It’s for the best. I’m with difficulties in accompanying the class and Star is the best on it. I need to focus and I won’t do it if I have to deal with somepony I don’t like.”

“Okay, do what you want” Sunny said. “But, if you change your mind…”

“I know, you’re at library.”

And so Sunny went back to Silver Wind and Cozy Glow and the three of them went to the library. Midnight felt bad for herself for not being with her friends, but her distrust on Cozy Glow was something she couldn’t let go, despite not knowing the reason for that.

Midnight walked through the academy, looking for Star. She knew at that time he didn’t have classes so he had to be around. It was then that she saw Moonlight, along with Galena, passing by. Knowing she would know where Star was, Midnight called:

“Moonlight!”

“Midnight, hello” she replied, while Midnight approached her.

“I need your help” Midnight said. “Do you know where’s Star? I need his help with some doubs I have on Science and Magic.”

“Having troubles in dealing with Professor Xenon?” Galena asked. “Don’t worry, you all were there.”

“But what about your sister?” Moonlight asked. “I heard she kind off can get through Professor Xenon’s lessons, just like Star.”

“Well…” Midnight started, trying to find a way to avoid to tell the real reason to not be with Sunny. “It’s just that Star is way better in this than Sunny, beyond that he already did the first year. He can help me better.”

“If you say so…” Moonlight said, while thinking. “I think that, at this time, he’s at his training place.”

“His training place?” Midnight asked.

“Yes, it is where he and Golden Paladin used to train whenever Star was at the academy” Moonlight said. “It’s not that far. I can tell you where he is.”

“Yes, but you have to do it quickly, Moonlight” Galena said. “Or else we’ll get late for Divination.”

Moonlight did so and after that Midnight followed her instructions until she reached the clearing she talked about. There, she saw his brother. He was standing quietly at the center of the clearing, with his eyes closed. It was then that Star opened them and created nine clones, positioning himself in a battle position.

“Who’s first?” Star asked to the clones.

One of the clones advanced towards him, charging his horn, but the original Star accessed to his magic, while raising his hoof. And sand came out from the ground, starting to involve the clone. The sand covered him completely, while taking the form a pyramid.

“Sand Waterfall Funeral!” Star exclaimed, making a gesture.

And the sand pyramid exploded, obliterating the clone that was inside. Soon after, a second clone attacked Star, using physical attacks. Star dodged them, giving a big jump backwards with the help of his wings and then conjured blue flames that he joined in a big fireball that he shot at the clone that was hit by it.

The third clone advanced with a light sword, starting to try to hit Star, who defended himself with his own light sword. They continued to find with swords until the original Star stomped with his hoof on the ground and created a wave of water that pushed the clone away, making him disappear.

But Star didn’t get time to hold his breath, as the fourth clone started to shoot magic beams against him. It was then that Star covered himself with a Lava Armor and advanced towards the clone, arriving to his edge and punching him. The intense heat of the armor burned the clone that then disappeared.

Suddenly, Star was hit a punch that through him to the ground, while releasing a lot of steam and the Lava Armor to disappear. Star quickly rose up and prepared to face the fifth clone who had just used against him the vapour nature. Knowing what he had to do, Star also prepared to use vapour nature. The two Stars advanced towards each other and started to have a fight of strength, exchanging blows enhanced by the vapour nature. But eventually, the original Star used a blow that was able to subdue the clone and making him disappear.

As soon he did that, a powerful water blast hit him wave that pushed him back. That water blast was caused by the sixth clone. Star did his best to hold on, creating a barrier. It was then that Star said, while using his magic:

“Starch Syrup Gun!”

And he shot a projectile-like high-viscosity water from his horn that went through the water blast until it hit the clone, covering him and forcing him to stop. Star took advantage of that to cast a blast of bubbles that surrounded the clone’s head, joining and creating a bigger bubble around it, what caused the clone to suffocate and disappear.

The seventh clone started to charge against Star, surrounding itself with magic to have a greater force. But Star, using his magic again, released from his mouth a small quantity of fine powder and, when he activated the magic, it shone so brightly that temporarily blinded the clone. That allowed Star to cast from his horn a web that hold the clone and started to absorb his energy until he didn’t have any more left to sustain the multiplication spell and dispelled.

A few seconds later, Star noticed the eighth clone going against him, but he quickly turned to him and tossed to him some ink nature that adhered to the clone and then spread through his body until covering him completely. After that, the original made a blow that made the clone inside the ink disappear and the ink cover the floor.

Now there was only one clone and that one created a Nine-Tails energy cloak. The original Star did the same and so the two casted energy hands against each other and started a battle of strength. That was until the original Star created dark flames at the energy hands that soon passed to the clone’s. That caught him by surprise, as the dark flames passed through the energy hands until reaching the clone who screamed in pain until disappear.

Midnight, after seeing all that, became amazed by her brother’s strength and power. She knew Star was powerful, but, after seeing him using his powers in pony, she had the unquestionable certain he was more powerful than she thought.

After his training, Star went to his mental plane where he was meeting with all the other tailed beasts.

“So, what do you think?” he asked to the tailed beasts.

“Well, you’ve clearly improved, Star” Matatabi replied.

“Indeed” Kokuo agreed. “You’ve mastered all our natures and powers and you practically don’t need our help to access them.”

“Please, stop complementing the boy” Kurama told, in a boring way. “It will only go over his head.”

“I have to agree with the fox here” Shukaku said. “He still can’t perform my sealing spell.”

“To be fair, I don’t have your cursing marks, Shukaku” Star told him. “And it’s not like I can carry around sand with sealing tags inside a bag like Chief Strongpaw.”

“He does have a point, Shukaku” Isobu told.

“Ah, stop complaining you two” Gyuki said to Shakaku and Kurama. “The boy is doing fine. He’s strong and smart and a quick learner.”

“Yeah, he is strong” Saiken squeaked.

“And the fact he could control my lava nature like that really impressed me” Son Goku said.

“It’s good to see that our powers are on the hooves of someone as capable as you, young prince” Chomei said.

“I believe it’s time for us to leave” Matatabi said.

“Agreed” Gyuki said. “I better not let Hawthorn alone for too long. Who knows what trouble he may get into while I’m here.”

“Hey, can you send him my regards, Gyuki?” Star asked.

“Of course, Star” he replied.

And so the tailed beasts (except for Kurama) disappeared.

“This was nice” Star said. “It’s always good when family reunites, don’t you think, Kurama?”

“It would be good, if I hadn’t to endure tanuki smell” Kurama replied.

“Seriously, Kurama, you really have to work things out with Shukaku” Star told.

“And we have worked things out” Kurama said. “You don’t see us going against each other’s neck, do you? Besides, don’t you have better things to do than being here talking about my problems with Shukaku, like dealing with our surprise guess?”

At the real world, Star asked Midnight, without looking at her:

“What are you doing here, Midnight?”

She got surprised that Star had noticed her, but then again her brother had very sharp senses.

“Sorry to disturb your training, Star” she said, while approaching.

“Don’t worry about that” he replied, turning to her with his usual smile. “I’m already done with it. But I’m curious to know why you’re here.”

“It’s just I wanted to ask if you could help me with some doubts I have with my Science and Magic classes” Midnight said.

“Why don’t you study with Sunny and Silver Wind like you always do?” Star asked. “Sunny is very good at that subject.”

“Well… you see…” Midnight said, trying to find an excuse, but her brother’s stare prevented her from lying. “I’m studying with them because Cozy Glow would be there too.”

“I see…” Star said. “Still not getting along with her, hein?”

“It’s just… I can’t explain it… She’s just too…”

“Too much sweet?” Star asked, much to Midnight’s surprise. “Yeah, I feel the same about her. She’s… uneasy.”

“I know!” Midnight exclaimed. “It can only mean she’s up to something.”

“Oh, don’t exaggerate, little sis” Star said. “I’m certain she can’t be that dangerous. She’s just a filly, after all.”

“You’re just saying that because you don’t share the same room with her” Midnight replied.

Star placed a hoof on her shoulder and then told her:

“Midnight, do you want an advice? Why don’t just let what you feel for Cozy Glow flow.”

“You mean try to be friends with her? I don’t think I can.”

“I’m not saying that. What I’m advising you is to tolerate her. Stop trying to see things that may not be there. It may cause you trouble in the future… mainly with the friends you and Cozy Glow share, like Sunny.”

Midnight thought about what her older brother said and realized he had a point. Just now her animosity with Cozy Glow had led her to abdicate precious time with her best friends.

“I guess you’re right, Star” Midnight said. “Perhaps I can go to the library and join them.”

“Or, since you’re already here, I can help you with your doubts” Star said. “It has been some time since I hanged out with any of my little sisters. I know that studying is not exactly hanging out, but…”

“But it’s quality time we can spend together” Midnight completed.

That caused Star to give a smile to his younger sister and so Midnight took out her book and notes to start studying with Star.

After they were free from their responsibilities to the academy, the Cutie Mark Crusaders met up with Purple Smoke so they could start their hunt for Cragadile. Using his tracking skills, Purple Smoke was able to possibly locate the area where he could be, being it a little swamp.

“Really, a swamp?” Sweetie Belle asked, as she and the others walked through the muddy water of the swamp. “Cragadile should really pick better hiding places.”

“Come on, it’s not that bad” Scootaloo said, while flying.

“It’s easy for you to say” Sweetie Belle replied. “You have wings.”

The four of them continued and, for a while, nothing appeared to be happening. But then something did happen, as Cragadile started to appeared at the surface, watching Purple Smoke and the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“I just hope we can find him soon enough” Sweetie Belle said, while taking the mysterious watch and watching it. “The sooner we capture him, the sooner we may find out more about this watch.”

Noticing the watch, Cragadile made his eyes glow, blinking with his third eyelid. He approached Sweetie Belle quietly and, once he was close enough, he erupted from the muddy waters, now with longer limbs that he ones he had before and tried to close his jaw on her. Fortunately, the young unicorn mare was quick to dodge and they summoned their dreaming cloaks. After that, they started a fight with the beast, with Purple Smoke giving a hoof.

“Remember, girls, direct attacks won’t work on him” he said. “For now, try to use physical attacks. I can’t use my smoke on him either because he can hold his breath.”

They nodded and they started this dance with Cragadile. His speed, tail, claws and powerful jaw prevented them from approaching him, only allowing them to dodge to not get any of his powerful blows and to attack him from the sides or behind.

The creature then noticed the watch that was in Sweetie Belle’s cloak and started to head towards her. Seeing him coming towards her, Sweetie Belle started to run, but Cragadile’s swift swimming allowed him to quickly reach her and corn her. He tried to make a blow with his tail, but Sweetie managed to dodge and continued to run. The rocky crocodile continued his pursue on her until he corned her again. Fortunately, Purple Smoke used his magic to make the water near them to blast Cragadile away from Sweetie Belle. That caused the creature to swim away.

“That was strange” Scootaloo said. “That thing really seemed to be focusing on you, Sweetie Belle.”

What Scootaloo said caused Purple Smoke to think and then he realized something:

“Could it be that…”

But he didn’t finished, as Cragadile erupted again. But Purple Smoke was quick to create his purple smoke that allowed him and the Cutie Mark Crusaders to escape. Cragadile looked around, but then a cough was heard and the creature turned, seeing Purple Smoke.

“Hey, ugly, miss me?” he asked.

Cragadile tried to attack him, but he simply passed through him, as that was a clone made of smoke. After that, Scootaloo came from above and attacked him in a way that caused the Cragadile to run away by swimming. The real Purple Smoke, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle appeared, with the earth mare saying:

“Oh, that was close.”

“Yeah, but why did he go after Sweetie Belle?” Scootaloo asked.

“Because of the watch” Purple Smoke replied.

“He’s right” Sweetie Belle said, taking the watch from her cloak. “Maybe we can use the watch to lure Cragadile into a trap.”

“But what if dah trap fails?” Apple Bloom asked. “Ya saw how strong that thin’ is.”

“Even if the trap fails, we can still have a win” Purple Smoke said.

“Meaning?” Scootaloo asked.

“Meaning that we will find out how the watch works” the General of Talent replied.

The night fell and the four of them still were at the swamp, this time with a plan to catch the Cragadile. Sweetie Belle was walking alone. It didn’t take long for Cragadile to start swimming nearby quietly after her. He passed by her and emerged before Sweetie Belle. With him now revealed, Sweetie tried to use her swift nature to pass through Cragadile, but it was difficult to control her velocity in all that muddy ground.

The creature approached her and, with a tail swipe, he threw Sweetie Belle to the ground, making her drop the watch. Cragadile went to catch the watch, but once he did it, he found himself surrounded by the other Cutie Mark Crusaders and Purple Smoke.

“Apple Bloom, he’s all yours” Purple Smoke said.

Focusing on her wood nature, Apple Bloom made the trees around them to extend their branches and start to grab Cragadile, preventing him from moving.

“Are you okay, Sweetie?” Scootaloo asked.

“Of course” she replied, while getting up and cleaning her cloak.

It was then that Cragadile made too much strength for the branches to handle and got free, using his tail to throw Apple Bloom to the ground and then tried to attack the others. Purple Smoke used his smoke against him that, despite not being affecting him, caused him to slow down.

“Girls, prepare yourselves!” he exclaimed. “If we want to contain him, we have to use full power!”

They nodded, but when they were to attack, Cradadile went to dive and swim away.

“Where did he go?” Sweetie Belle asked.

Purple Smoke concentrated and used his tracking skills. It only took a few seconds to locate Cragadile.

“Over there” he said, pointing the way.

They advanced to the place where Cragadile was, hiding behind a tree. He tried to attack, but Sweetie Belle combined his wind nature and musical magic to launch a sonic attack that pulled him back to the ground. Getting up, Cragadile replied by throwing with his tails some rocks, but Purple Smoke was quick to create a barrier that protected him and the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Noticing his disadvantage, Cragadile run away to the water and dived. Scootaloo flew over the water and, using the water nature of her gale nature, she made a column of water to rise up. Seeing that, Cragadile tried to move away as fast as he could, but the young pegasus threw the blast to the creature and hit the place where he was, causing a wave to wash him out of the water.

He got up and tried to prepare to attack, but Apple Bloom made roots to sprout out of the ground, ready to grab him. Seeing that, Cragadile started to slash them. His enemies started to get close and the creature realized he needed to get out of there as fast as he could so he rose up the watch that started to glow and then he created a portal with it. Noticing that, Apple Bloom shouted:

“Oh no ya don’t!”

She created more roots that started to grab Cragadile, but he managed to cross over, making the roots to drop him. As soon he crossed over the portal closed.

“Too late” Purple Smoke said. “We can’t follow him.”

“But where did he go?” Scootaloo asked.

“Yeah, Purple, Ah think it’s time fer ya tah tell us dah truth” Apple Bloom said.

“No more secrets” Sweetie Belle said. “You know what that place is and you need to tell us.”

Knowing they wouldn’t stop until he told them, Purple Smoke sighed and said:

“Okay, if you insist, I’ll tell you a little more of what I know. Cragadile, as well those shadow creatures, comes from another realm, one that I sealed centuries ago, before the fall of the Light Kingdom.”

“A sealed realm?” the Cutie Mark Crusaders asked.

“Yes, and it would appear its inhabitants have maganed to open some cracks, probably with the help of that watch” Purple Smoke told.

“But what realm is that ya’re talkin’ ‘bout?” Apple Bloom asked.

“The realm is called… Neverland” Purple Smoke revealed.