• Published 3rd Aug 2012
  • 2,228 Views, 56 Comments

The High Note - FlashFoward



You talent is what you loathe. However, Octavia shows you how to appreciate your talent.

  • ...
5
 56
 2,228

Motivation

Just when you finally work up the courage to return Octavia’s hug, a faint snore interrupts the still silence in the room. Poor thing, she had a fair amount of wine before and it didn’t help she used your chest and neck as a pillow. This was fine. At least she was coherent when you begged for forgiveness. If she hadn’t, getting your face crushed would have been a pointless sacrifice. You wonder vaguely how bad Octavia had injured you and you wanted to see yourself in a mirror to figure out what the deal is. She might have looked so peaceful when sleeping, but now she was blocking you from getting up from the chair.

Not having the heart or nerve to wake her up, you slowly manage to shift Octavia’s body on your back and rise from the chair. Octavia let out an adorable yawn and wrapped her hooves around your neck tightly, as if afraid to let go. As long as she didn’t start to strangle you, this was more than acceptable. The venture to the second floor took longer than you would have liked. Reason for that was mainly because you were terrified of waking up the precious cargo on your bag, who was gently rubbing her cheeks at the back of your neck for some time.

The inside of Octavia’s home is really the opposite of the outside. There was no hint of marble anywhere indoors. In fact, cheery wood covered the walls and a rather luxuries carpet and some wood tiles shared the floor. A few potted plants lingered about, none of which hanged in the air. Considering how often Octavia travels in her line of work, how in the world did these plants survive? That was a question that could wait for later. A room to your left features a bed and you figure this
is where Octavia sleeps.

Something in you stops yourself from entering her room at first. Deep down you knew that entering her room, without her permission, wasn’t right. But, it was either enter or ditch her on her coach. You hesitantly enter her room, fully expecting Octavia to start yelling at you for entering her domain. When nothing comes you allow yourself to take a sigh of relief. Octavia gives your neck a playful squeeze before letting out a soft snore again. What was she dreaming about?

You move aside the crisp white sheets of the bed and slowly manage to slip Octavia in her bed. When trying to snuggle Octavia in her bed, she playfully grabs one of your hoofs and hugs it tightly. First, she hugged your neck and now this. You made it a point to ask Octavia about her dreams today later in the future. After coaxing Octavia to squeeze a stray pillow rather than your hoof, you turn your attention to the room you were in.

Yet again, the familiar feeling of trespassing crossed your mind. This was immediately shoved off considering Octavia herself was poking through your room a few days ago. Besides, judging from her light snoring and how many empty wine bottles sat at the dinner table, Octavia won’t be awake by the next morning. There was a window that showed a pleasant view of park a few blocks away, a cello case along with a bow, a few notebooks lying neatly on a small work desk. The carpet on the floor bore resemblance to Octavia’s coat color. Simple white paint graced the walls.

Those notebooks were really starting to catch your eye often, though. Did they just hold regular music sheets or something a little more personal? You let curiosity get the better of you and start skimming through one of the notebooks, to get a general feel what was to be offered. Surprisingly, no noticeable signs of musical notes were available. Instead, a rather elegant cursive writing graced the crisp white pages of the notebook. Had you just bumped into her diary?

Another annoying feeling of trespassing ebbs into your mind. This time, it came with a vengeance. Sure, Octavia seeing the only picture that was with only you and dad. What made catching this picture even more rare that the both of you were smiling, not a forced one either. He had invited an old friend of his over to dinner and he brought his wife along as well. After you excused yourself from the dinner table, you returned to your daily grind with the piano. Harmony, father’s friend’s wife, had seen you leave and trotted after you, making the others follow suit to her.

The piano was situated at the living room and you set to work. Oddly enough, you played Ave Maria that day to. Funny how that song cropped up so often in your life and still weren’t to fully grasp what the song tried to convey. To some, it was beauty while others may argue it had religious weight to it. Honestly, to you, all this little whining of its meaning was rather pointless, at the time. All that you desired was to get it down pact and move on to another long song, hopefully something jazzy.

Harmony had poked her head in the room and you instantly notice her, ceasing to play immediately at the sight of her. She interrupts your mutters of apology by asking you to play again…for her. Dad was usually the only audience member, an unpleasant one at that. Having Harmony was a nice change. When the song was finally over is when you realized that dad had a hoof on your shoulder and gave you a rare smile, which you happily returned.

Two things you learned that day. One was that lyrics can only do a song so much justice. The pure harmonic notes formed together from countless instruments are far superior to any voice. Secondly, that was that first time you realized that not everypony shared the same opinion on your talent like dad. Many were amazed a colt your age reached that level of skill. If they could only see you now… what would Harmony say? Would she to ask you to play Ave?

A small chuckle escapes you at the thought. Octavia was doing that job for her just fine. Turning your attention back at the notebook in your hooves, the words within had the vibe as if it belonged in a song. Perhaps it was just to sing?

Pull the strings of my cord, like how he pulls the strings of my heart.

With a rub of my bow, I’ll soothe the pains.

Once I stop, I find I’m back where I began.

After putting two and two together, the lyrics were pointing at you. Guilt and deep sadness course through your veins. She must have jotted this down before drinking her pains away. You cast a glance at Octavia, wondering if there was still some spite between you two. She had forgiven and tried to understand your begging. Not wanting to look at those crushing words anymore, you flip through the book for earlier entries. This one had a more happy tone to it.

With a flap of its wings, the dove takes flight to the skies.

That’s where I feel I am right now.

Hearts a flutter and I wouldn’t dare consider looking down.

Only a page separated this song from the previous one. Was the song referencing the date you two shared? A slight blush consumes your cheeks and your glade Octavia isn’t awake to see this. After placing the notebook of lyrics back on the desk, the other thick notebook pleaded for your attention now. This must’ve been Octavia’s diary.

Cold sweat and a slight shake starts to take your body hostage. The shaking sunk straight into your very bones and the sweat dripping down your forehead felt cold as ice. What was in store for you in this book? If your assumptions were correct, things were going to get more complicated. The book bared no lock, which didn’t help the situation much. After cautiously opening the book and checking the first few pages, the previous guess of this being a diary was spot on. Octavia’s elegant writing graced every page. Some entries weren’t much of a big deal, talking about how the band was performing and thoughts on the performances.

One entry did catch your eye. It mainly described how she was in a café and how a piano player was able to play such beautiful and complicated songs without much hassle. What was interesting about this entry was that it was a few weeks before Octavia had invited you to Note Theater and that it ended with a question.

Does he ever notice me?

Sadly, it took until her confrontation with you to finally notice Octavia. After that, your eyes could never stop getting enough of her. Now that she had your undying attention, what’s next? You glance over to Octavia, who was still in deep sleep, and trot over to her to plant a kiss on her forehead before leaving.


“How did it go with Octavia?” Nate asked while he sorted through the cash register.

“Honestly, how did you know it was me?” You mutter while closing the door behind you.

“That door knocks against a bell to let me know if a pony enters. Secondly, it’s getting kind of late and must of my work is through orders.” Nate explained, turning his attention to his piano now.

“Well, it went better than I expected.”

“I take it you’ve been forgiven?” Nate put two and two together pretty fast.

You give a simple nod and nearly hit yourself since Nate can’t see your silent approval. “Yeah, she let me off the hook.”

“Excellent. Now, if you have the time, mind playing a bit?” Nate gestured to the general direction of his piano.

“I owe you that much. What song?”

“Do you know Fly Me to the Moon?” Nate asked eagerly.

“Of course I do.” You reply once you take your position behind Nate’s piano.

“Think you got a shot against Melody?”

The question threw you off, but not enough to affect the concentration you had on the piano keys. “I guess. How did you know about Melody?”

“Greg came by here a while back about a song list I could help make for him. He mentioned that Melody’s father was pushing to get her in the orchestra.” Nate answered.

You can’t bring yourself to keep playing now that you remembered why Melody was so smug on getting her spot. “Does her dad really have that much influence?”

“Money talks, so anything can happen.” Nate replies sadly.

You slump your shoulders and slam on the lowest note available on the piano. The note only adds fuel to the already tense and grim environment. “I can’t do it.” As the words of bitter defeat slipped off your tongue you can’t help but wonder how you convinced yourself that beating Melody in the first place was possible.

“That’s no way to talk. You were just nailing that song. Talent can and will win out. You just need the confidence to keep going.” Nate propped a folder full of songs on them on top of the piano. “These are the songs you’ll need to play. I advise you take a look at them.”

“It’s pointless.”

“Pointless? That would be the case if you just lay down on your back and accepted this. You’ll need to fight for this spot with all you got. And now you got reasons to fight for it. Anger is one dangerous motivator.” Nate took a seat by you and his gray eyes pierced your very soul. “We got work to do.”

You pick your head up and see Nate's eyes reflecting your confident smile. "That we do."

Comments ( 13 )

One thought came to mind: Play like crazy:eeyup:

Get him to play the Death Waltz. :trollestia:

Make him play Death Waltz or "UN Owns Her?". Maybe Night of Nights would be good.

Do you still update this fic?
I hope so. It's darn good! :pinkiehappy:

Excellent chapter! I actually put this story on my back burner for reading because it was incomplete and all that, now I see why that was a good idea. This story is great, and that you stopped RIGHT at the climactic part... Ooh I am angry now. Sir, you must return to writing this story! Finish it for your fans! You have at minimum, two chapters left! You are so close to having a finished, GOOD, story!!

good story indeed, though I hope you plan to finish it sometime.

3003527
Then I shall wait for that day.....

Sooooo...you alive there pal?

Update? :D

Are you going to finish this story, or are you focusing of the other story I'm reading by you?

Login or register to comment