• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 768 Views, 6 Comments

Broadcasters - HoneyQuill

  • ...
 6
 768

Celestia

Morning always seems to come far too early for my liking. The sun streams through the tiny gaps in the stained glass window of the town hall, illuminating the ground in an array of beautiful colours. I'm resting on something solid. As I come to my senses my ears meet a barrage of chatter, dozens, if not hundreds of ponies all talking at once. I can't help it – I stir and groan a little at the noise.

And it falls silent immediately.
“Is she awake?”
“Sooner than I thought.”
I blearily open one eye.
“Morning, sleepyhead.”
“Hi, Rainbow...”
I get to my hooves and smile.

“That whole... elements thing is pretty incredible. Well done you lot.”
“I'll admit, ah panicked when ah saw you drop like that,” grins Applejack.
“Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not really all that used to magic like that. Nopony around here is. And broadcasting it is even harder.”

“How are you feeling, darling?”
“I'm absolutely fine, Rarity. No harm done.”
“Good, because Twilight says she has something important to say.”
I turn to follow the others. As we walk Pinkie rants, and I think that her basic words are something along the line of 'we came here after the golem was destroyed because the buildings were so ruined that they're too dangerous to stay by'.
“How on earth did you bring me here?” I ask, a blush playing across my face.
“Ah carried ya,” grins Applejack, “Lucky you're so little and all.”
My cheeks redden as I imagine the strong farmpony heaving me onto her back to walk across town.

“Oh... my.”
“It's okay, Indigo.”
I glance up to see Fluttershy standing timidly nearby. She paws nervously at the ground for a moment before facing me. The blush immediately returns. She's. So. Cute.
“What's up Fluttershy? Not to make fun of your namesake, but you seem a little more shy than before.”
“I wanted to ask you something...”

“Shoot.”
“Um- You have to communicate with the Princess, right?”
“Yeah.”
“I-is it scary?”
Her eyes widen as though she expects a scolding. When I nod she seems surprised. Her wings unconsciously flare along with her perked curiosity.
“Really scary,” I nod, “Nopony really realises how much is in Celestia's heart. Even broadcasters can only see a glimpse of it before she locks it away forever.”
“And she can see yours?”
“Yeah, but there's nothing in my heart that's of any interest to an amazing being like her. Most ponies won't feel as much emotion in a lifetime as she probably feels every minute.”

“Wow. That's so... deep.”
“They're not my words, Fluttershy. They're fact. The only pony who, I think, has ever seen deeply into the heart of Princess Celestia is your friend Twilight.”
Her aquamarine eyes widen more, if it were possible.
“Twilight? Really?”
I nod, walking a bit faster to keep up with her. Despite her not being huge either, her legs are far longer than mine and she strides ahead with ease.

“Yes, she is the Princess's star pupil, right? I know that much.”
“Well yes... I mean, she is – but how does that prove anything...?”
“I'll be honest Fluttershy, it looks like I know far less about the rest of Equestria than I had initially thought. I've read books about the rest of the kingdom, but I have very little first pony experience out there – until today, of course!”
The others turn, their ears perking at the subject matter.

“But even I know all about Celestia's students. Great ponies, all of them. Not all unicorns, either. There was an incredible pegasus who learned how to fly from watching an alicorn – he went on to found the Wonderbolts – and an earth pony who learned all about the art of growing crops to perfection. Throughout history Celestia has only taken under her wing ponies who have the potential to have an amazing influence on the history of Equestria. To these ponies she gives friendship, love and ultimately, complete trust.”

“R-really?”
“Yep. I don't believe for one second that Twilight Sparkle won't be able to figure out the source of this chaos and remedy it. She's this generation's faithful student.”
“Oh, am I?”

We all turn quickly – Fluttershy yelps, while Dash and Applejack start forward in awe. Up at the top of the crumbling stairs stands an intellectual-looking lilac unicorn, her magenta-streaked man bustling in the wind. A smirk plays on her mouth as she descends, heading toward us before coming to a stop before her friends.
“Everypony, I've figured it out.”

Gasps of delight and relief come from all sides, and I tilt my head to avoid questioning her out loud. She nods at me.
“The Princess has located a nest. It looks like most of the magic is being controlled from there. All we need to do is harness the elements and focus the magic on that nest!”
Amidst the excited chatter she turns to me.

“Thank you for your help, Indigo. You've done a good job.”
“Th-thank you, Twilight Sparkle.”
I bow my head a little and turn to leave.
“Hey, where are you going?”

Rainbow's pink eyes stare me in the face and I stop so suddenly that my back end slides out from under me and I land heavily on the floor.
“Um... going home? Or, perhaps the hospital?”
“No!”
“You can't do that!”
I stand up and glance around at the ponies surrounding me.
“Why can't I go? I need to make sure everypony's okay!”
“Because we need you,” says Twilight.
“Why? You've got it all figured out!”

“The elements of harmony needed one broadcaster in order to defeat a simple golem, for pony's sake. Whatever kind of magic is controlling these beasts, it looks to be about as powerful as Discord himself.”
“But you beat Discord!”

“But this constant fighting has weakened us. We need to go to the nest, and we need a broadcaster to magnify our spell.”
I sigh.
“Look Twilight. I'm happy to help out, really I am, but please don't think that my own magic is all that powerful. I can't help you.”

“Not alone, no. But there are lots of towns and cities in Equestria.”
“So?”
“Each one has a broadcaster, just like you.”
“And...?”
“How about if we gathered all the broadcasters from around Equestria, and had all of you magnify the magic together?”
I blink.

“Um. That's an insane idea.”
“You don't like it?”
“Are you kidding me? You're the faithful student of our generation. You know exactly what you're doing.”