• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 766 Views, 6 Comments

Broadcasters - HoneyQuill

  • ...
 6
 766

Elements


I smirk at the pegasus. She's much taller than me, and as she turns her head to face forward she speeds past me, leaving me struggling to keep up.

“Turn left!” I shout, “And then on to the crossroads for another left!”

Twilight, at the front, follows my directions. After a few minutes I hear a loud smashing noise that tells me we're getting close. Something akin to fear strums through me, but somehow it doesn't affect me so badly as it did moments ago. I have the greatest friends in all of Equestria with me. What is there to fear?

The golem has, during my short-lived absence, proceeded to destroy a large number of buildings. There are no screams, no sound of fleeing hooves; this reassures me as I think that maybe, maybe my broadcast got everypony out in time
.
Now I have a clearer head and stronger determination, I can see the monster for what it is. Each movement of its limbs emits a loud, horrible scraping sound of rock on rock. The boulders that form its body all seem to be different, some of black slate and others made of sandstone which crumbles ever so slightly when it collides with something.

“The sandstone is the weak spot!” cries Twilight, clearly deducing the same thing.
“Want me to distract it?” yells Rainbow Dash. The unicorn nods in response and suddenly she's in the air, those large, feathered wings beating steadily to keep her afloat.

Can I just mention, as an offhand comment, that although Trottingham is packed full of unicorns, I have seen many a flying pegasus in my life. I've always thought them graceful, a notion which is only backed up by the way in which Fluttershy slows to a stop. But the blue pony is something else. I blink and she's above the creature, a grin playing on her face.
“Hey, Rocky! Sad you missed the party?”

Pinkie starts yammering immediately, something which leads me to think that the comment is an inside joke between the two. Not that I care, of course. I'm far too busy watching in astonishment as Rainbow weaves in between the thing's limbs. Though its movements are far too clumsy to form an articulated attack, it's strong and not that slow. Nevertheless, she ducks amongst the rock, dodging and spinning and catapulting herself in every direction. The golem looks so confused, so reproachful that I almost feel sorry for the poor thing.

I wish that I could remain watching the epic show of athleticism forever, but now I become distracted by the actions of Twilight Sparkle. She opens the side of her saddlebag – how did I not notice that before? - and levitates out several gold, shiny objects. I step forward.

“What are those?”
She smiles widely, apparently very proud of the items she's holding.
“These are the elements of harmony.”
I tilt my head.
“I thought that you six were the elements.”

“Well, we are but we aren't. When a pony represents an element then they can use these charms to harness that magic, but without the necklaces even the most loyal friend is completely helpless. That's why they're stored-”
“Twilight.”
“... archives, where only Princess Celestia herself can access...”
“Twilight!”
“... magic only an alicorn can create. Oh, I'm sorry, what did you say?”

I roll my eyes. Studious can be good, intelligent is fine, but sweet Celestia, this pony's mind works far too fast for my normal pony head to keep up with. I level out my hooves and turn to look her sharply in the eye, an incredible fail when you consider that I'm about as intimidating as a ladybird.

“Twilight Sparkle!” I cry over the sound of crashes, “Use the elements and destroy the golem, now!”
Her pupils shrink and she nods; apparently even she's aware of how she ends up being at times.
“Oh my, you're right! What am I doing? Everypony gather round!”

Fluttershy steps forward first and Twilight snaps the necklace around her throat. It's ornate and gold like the others, but with a pale pink butterfly gem resembling her cutie mark. Rarity's is a blue diamond, Applejack's an amber orange. Rainbow lands nearby and accepts her red lightning bolt charm, while Pinkie runs around like a crazed filly upon being granted one shaped like a blue balloon.

“Twilight, what's yours-”
I'm cut off as the lilac pony levitates something beautiful onto her head. The crown sits delicately against her mane, the golden parts shining brightly.

“That- it looks just like Celestia's!”
She blushes madly, clearly flattered by the comparison.
“Oh, um, thank you.”
I smile back. She responds with a similar smirk.
“Um, Twilight?”

“Oh, yeah! Giant... destructive golem and stuff...”
“Go get them.”
They walk over and stand in a group. After a few moments I feel the wind pick up, and I step forward to broadcast. This time my horn ignites immediately.

“The elements of harmony are about to begin, please hold on,” I say, “Everything will be alright.”
My voice actually sounds a tiny bit reassuring! I let the broadcast end with a quiet click and turn to watch the six legendary ponies fight to save my hometown. A whisper escapes my mouth, so quiet that nopony else hears it.

"Go, my little ponies."