• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 6,584 Views, 119 Comments

Gifts and Curses - flamevulture17



It is up to unpredictable magic to determine the link between fiction and reality, pony and human.

  • ...
11
 119
 6,584

7. Honesty

[Chapter 7]

Honesty


The clock was ticking, and every second that went by, the more Andrew felt like he was never going to return to his normal form. Thoughts of feeling misplaced and helpless fueled his mind with displeasure. He could not help but to wonder what was to come of this if it were permanent, assuming the process was reversible. He was not entirely afraid of himself because he knew there was still one person on the planet that was true enough to help him through anything. That person was slumped over on his bed.

“Hey, this is not time to snooze.”

“Huh?” Dale groaned.

“You know, you fall asleep really quickly?”

“So?”

“So, we've only been here two minutes and you look like you just woke up from a coma.”

“Your point is?”

“Oh, I don't know, maybe this is where is all started!” said Andrew, rather annoyed.

Dale yawned and looked at his friend with his eyes half open and ready to close them again. He wasn't sure what to tell Andrew because he was already feeling guilty by not taking this situation seriously. He decided that lies would only make things worse and sincerity would make things awkward. From a productive view point, it occurred to him that honesty was the better option, even though it was not his favorite choice.

“I'm tired, that's all.”

“Are you gonna help me or what?”

“Sure, what do we do first?”

As crazy as is sounded, both of them agreed on taking a closer look at the horn on Andrew's forehead. It was undeniably real and in a perfect spiral shape, as depicted in fantasy culture. Forgetting that the existence of telepathy (or in this case, magic) was complete fiction, they thought of a few ideas that might have triggered the horn to glow. They assumed that the books and the desk stuff to fall on their own were somehow caused some force. That force was inferred to have emanated from the horn. Andrew tried to replicate the horn's effects by thinking really hard. Easier said that done. Dale was confident that concentration on an object would work, and if not, the only one thing he knew that would be a strong motivator in brain activity, an emotional response. Somehow motivating Andrew to think of his past was going to suck.

This stumped the both of them as Andrew decided not to get all sappy around Dale. Even though he was his best friend, there were things best left private.

“Dude, you don't have to if you don't want to, but you have to try something.”

“What do you suppose I think about?”

“It doesn't have to be sad. It can be fear, pleasure, or even hope. You know, a happy thought.”

“Okay Peter Pan, I'll try to come up with something. Just give me some time.”

“What ever you say, Doctor Who.”

After a bit of laughter, Andrew closed his eyes and sat still on the soft blue carpet of the room. All went quiet. Except for when Dale reclined back into planking position on the bed, making obnoxious noises while proceeding to sleep again. Andrew thought of some memories. The good, the bad, and the ugly ones. There weren't that many that came to mind due to his long term memory loss. He couldn't remember much that happened more than three months in the past. A weakness in terms of academics, yes, but an advantage in letting go most undesired emotional ties. The last thing that he remembered was Christmas time, a little over two months ago, but this past holiday, it was not that memorable to begin with. Instead of looking for something happy, he was thinking about the countless times in school that he wish he could forget.

Rather than finding a good memory to use for an emotional response, he began to think of all the things he has done in the recent past. Like 'the past couple weeks' recent. Because Dale asked him for anything useful, Andrew went with everything he could still remember. His past always influenced him into making important decisions, even thought they weren't always his best, or his smartest. Now that he got the chance the think about something, he used this time to do so for a very odd reason.

Then came a swift thump. Andrew snapped his eyes open and tried to find where it came from. He found that his friend was just as surprised as well.

“Where did it come from?” said Dale.

“I don't know, I thought you're supposed to monitor what happens.”

“I was getting some shut eye.”

“Right now is not the best time, dude.”

“Okay fine, I'm awake. See.”

Dale took his right hand and slapped himself in the face as proof. He then took a deep breath.

“Ouch. So what did you think of?”

“I'm not sure, I was thinking of a lot of things at the same time.”

Dale let out an annoyed sigh.

“So, what DID you think of? You couldn't have managed too many thoughts. Do you know what they still are?”

“I think so.”

Andrew closed his eyes again. Dale rested his head on Andrew's pillow, waiting for an answer from the small, blue-green unicorn. Several seconds went by and he began to get impatient.

“Yes?”

“Quiet, I'm thinking.”

“Oh... … mkay.”

Dale left his friend to do his thing. In the meantime, he had time to do some thinking of his own of how all this mess started in the first place. Well, less like a mess, and more like confusion. Dale had planned his Saturday out to the last hour, but as soon as Andrew stepped in, that plan faded from existence. It was supposed to be a day to relax and hang out with some friends. Everything had been so normal up to the point when he found his best friend Andrew to be a unicorn, but even then he believed it was a good prank.

Not anymore. After spending some time with it, he concludes it to be Andrew himself, apparently now a creature of pure myth. As scary as it sounds, he did not look like any unicorn he has seen depicted anywhere in fiction. Then after having the most unnatural lunch, things seemed to move on their own, shortly revealing that Andrew's, ahem, horn, glows like lightsaber. Then the brother shows up with no warning at all, concerned that something might be wrong with Andrew. Not like he really knows the truth, only that he knows that something is fishy. Then out of nowhere, they teleport to Andrew's backyard. What a day so far, eh?

“I got it!”

Dale snapped out of reminiscing trance to respond.

“Okay, what is it?” he replied.

“Oh wait, maybe not.”

“No come on, tell me.”

“But you'll think I'm weird. It's too embarrassing.”

Dale realized what this meant. He didn't want to believe it but, he wished it to be a good experience for a rather bizarre situation. He had known Andrew for a long time now and really needed something that could open his eyes on their friendship. Up to this point, they have just been really good friends who knew each others family, where they lived, and spent most of their time at school. Nothing like this they've done before. Other than hanging out for five minutes before doing something, this was new. He was never the sassy and emotional type, but when it involved someone he really cared about, none of that mattered anymore. After all, he would never let his BEST friend down. EVER.

“How do you know what I'll think?” said Dale. “Besides, were together on this. I'll help you as long as you need it. Just take your time to say it, if you want, but I promise it will be between us.”

Andrew took a little time to recollect his previous thoughts.

“I was thinking about us,” he said.

“Us, as in?”

“As in US, friends. You know, being friends and all that.”

“Really? That's not embarrassing at all.”

“What I mean is, my happy thought was every time you and I spent together. Nothing else I've done made me feel more happy in my life. I just couldn't think of anything else other than you because everything else that wasn't with you, hasn't been quite so memorable. When I think of us, I think that every moment felt like the best moment,” Andrew paused to take a deep breath. “So, there ya have it. Just don't take it the wrong way.”

Dale looked lost in Andrew's perspective. It looked like his brain stopped working and a blank face concealed any emotion me may have had. Seconds later, he spoke with a sentimental tone.

“Whoa dude, that's deep.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah.”

Dale did not exactly expecting to hear that from anyone, especially his own friend, besides him being a talking unicorn. Andrew just gave up everything that makes him happy in less than a hundred words. Judging by how long it took to say that, he knew Andrew meant every word with no hesitation. It took a lot of guts to open up like that. There was still one thing he needed to take care of.

“I haven't been completely honest with you either. I sorta have the same deal with you too.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“How so?”

“I kinda keep track of the good stuff we've done.”

“What kind of stuff?”

“Um, stuff, like... how much fun I have with my friends, especially you. If I don't write it down, I will most likely forget soon after.”

By now, Andrew was also not expecting to hear that from Dale either.

“So, where do you put this... stuff?”

Dale looked away to regain his composure, then looked back.

“On my computer.”

“Online?”

“No, never. I don't trust the Internet. I just have bunch of entries on my hard drive… buuuuut I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit.”

Andrew went silent. He thought that everything he had told Dale would be mimicked, but as of ten seconds ago, that was not the case. In fact, it was totally the opposite. He was totally not expecting any of this, and neither did Dale.

“Okay, we'll save this for later.”

“So, uh, do you think you could try to think about that stuff again? See if it works this time?” asked Dale.

“Yeah sure.”

By now, the both of them felt better about themselves than when the day started. Andrew remembered some things that made a good time in the past to get a response from his horn.


As the day rolled on, Luna felt like it was the longest day ever. She had only spent twenty minutes or so talking to Granny Smith, but it felt like an hour to her. The time if took to get to Ponyville didn't take long either. It felt like half the day went by as she made her way to Sweet Apple Acres.

Luna headed back to the direction of Ponyville. She had been thinking of everything Granny said to her earlier. One thing that she could not understand was the last part. Granny said she heard and saw something where a strange pony seemed to appear out of nowhere. She did not want to waste time assuming of what could have happened, and spend more time finding this mint green unicorn. There weren't that many unicorns that resembled the same color. In fact, there is only one unicorn she knew that almost exactly fit that criteria, and she was the one working on the investigation. It couldn't be a coincidence.

A good idea to do was to visit her current residence and maybe get a little more information from anypony who knows her. Ponyville was approaching just over the last hill, so she picked up the pace and made it in good time, only there were a lot of ponies still out in the streets.

Luna figured what this meant. Now that she was finished with what she came for, it wouldn't hurt to let the citizens of the town know she is here. So, as she approached the first line of houses, she felt nervous that it might raise suspicion, but confident because ponies fully respected the Princesses. No matter how foolish those thoughts sounded, it didn't stop her from acting like she's got nothing to hide. She entered the point of no return and finally made her presence known.

She walked through Ponyville and acted like an innocent bystander, tying to draw as little attention to herself as possible and paying little attention to anypony else. Not that anything she was doing was wrong, but staying within her limits of power. All Luna wanted to do was visit Lyra's home and make it look like she was here to say 'hello'. Kinda unnecessary for coming all this way to do so.

A subtle stroll through the heart of a town where the townsfolk used to fear Princess Luna. Her subtlety wasn't working as well as she hoped. Unable to conceal her glorious charms and the sun beating down from above, she had no choice but to be exposed to everypony wandering the streets. Many of the ponies that were out took their time to say 'hi' to Luna as she walked by each pony within audible range. Others either looked at her and smiled, or stopped to give her a wave. All were happy to see her. In order to be polite, Luna replied to every greeting with the same words and gestures, which took more time than she desired.

After strolling through Ponyville for a several more minutes, she finally reached her destination, the home of Miss Lyra Heartstrings and Miss Bon-bon. She paused for a second before she gently knocked on the front door.

A few seconds later, the door opened.

“Princess Luna? What a pleasant surprise,” said the tan colored earth pony.

“Hello Miss Bon-bon. Is this a bad time?”

“No no of course not. Please, come on in.”

“Thank you.”

Bon-bon made way for Luna to enter the house and closed the door behind her. Luna only needed to know some information from Lyra's closest friend, but she insisted that she'd get comfortable. Anything for the Princess of the Night. Every time a pony came close to Luna or her sister, they reacted so nicely that it almost seems unnatural. It was as if everypony forgot who they are to act so elegantly around ponies of higher authority. Luna only wished for them to consider her as a good friend, rather than pony of tremendous power. She sometimes wished she was just a regular pony with a regular life. Being the co-ruler of a country was hard work.

“Can I get you anything, Princess?” asked Bon-bon.

“Oh, um, no thank you. I won't be long, and, uh, you can call me Luna.”

“Sure thing Princess Luna.”

“Just Luna is fine.”

“Of course. So what brings you here you Highness?”

Luna gave Bon-bon a funny look.

“Sorry.”

“Well, I'm here to ask you something.”

“Yes?”

“I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about your friend, Lyra.”

Bon-bon wondered what has gone into her roommate over the past few days, especially earlier that morning. Lyra told her it had something to do with Princess Celestia, but did not fully believe it. Now that Celestia's sister Luna was here, it made a little more sense.

“Oh her, um... what do you want to know?”

“Maybe something about her family, particularly her parents. Did you know them?”

“Not really. I've only met them once on a visit to Canterlot, but they weren't as strange as their daughter. Lyra can be a little odd at times.”

Luna thought she'd ask more about Lyra and find out if her ancestor was really that peculiar unicorn of the past. She never really did get his name from Granny Smith, only that he apparently helped found Ponyville. Over the course of regular visits to Ponyville, Lyra would always ask some weird questions, one which Luna did not have the answers for.

“She can? What makes you think so?”

“Well, she has this... obsession, with some kind of beings of fiction, as far as I know. She insists that they exist and keeps talking about them around the house, but when she's in public, she tries to hide her obsession. Most ponies around here don't believe,” said Bon-bon.

“What beings we talking about?”

“Uh... humans.”

Bon-bon secretly braced for Luna to laugh at it, but no such thing came. Luna had her her shiny hoof on her chin, in thinking mode.

“Hmm, interesting.” Luna put a hoof to her chin.

“Wait, it doesn't strike you as absurd?”

“No. It is what I hoped to hear.”

“Huh?”

“Well you see, it has come to my attention that Lyra is an descendant of a founding member of Ponyville. She is the great granddaughter of a particular unicorn way back in the day, who has passed on his looks to Lyra. There is no pony else who fits that description that I know of.”

Bon-bon's curiosity rose drastically.

“But how can you know for sure?”

“Her great grandfather also knew about these creatures he called humans. Apparently he was the first to mention such nonsense back then. No pony took him seriously or believed any of his stories when he tried to reason with them. None would listen. He was convinced he was one of them, a human, but such a thought was impossible and everypony knew it. Sound familiar?”

Bon-bon took in the information as surprise. She did not know that anypony else was similar to Lyra, though it turns our it was somepony of her own family.

“Lyra used to do the same, but lately she has loosened up on her studies and spent more time on normal things. Except maybe when she tried to leave this morning without telling me first.”

“She has?”

“Yes. In fact, she hasn't mentioned a word of it in a while. I think she might be coming to her senses finally.”

“I think she might be giving up too easily.”

“Really?”

“Yes, Celestia was helping her out with a few things when she arrived at the castle. I didn't get a chance to properly talk to her yet.”

“Luna, if I may ask, why was she called to Canterlot?”

“Something came up recently that I'm not supposed the tell you, but since you are her closest friend, I'll be honest. An event of mysterious magic occurred last night and my sister and I called for Twilight and Lyra to investigate. We thought they would be the only ones who could help us out. I only hope they find what we need but went on a pursuit of my own. Since my subtle visit here to Ponyville, I have gained more information so I can try to put the pieces together, if possible. I also need you to keep this a secret, can you do that?”

“Sure thing Luna,” replied Bon-bon. She had been listening attentively and even though was confused a little, she understood what the Princess wanted.

“Great. My sister and I just don't want ponies to worry.”

“Would you believe her too?”

“I don't know if it's a matter of belief, but a matter of discovery.”

“Do you think they are real?”

“Yes, but I'll ask her later.”

“Oh, sorry.”

“Quite alright. So where can I find Lyra's parents? I'd very much like to talk to them as well.”

“They live in Canterlot. I don't know where exactly, but I'm sure you'll find them.”

“Thank you, Bon-bon. It was nice talking to you. I must be my way, I've got a lot of things to take care of.”

“You're quite welcome, and thank you too Luna, for shedding some light on what's going on with Lyra, I was worried. I still am, but less so now that I know. I promise I won't tell anypony.”

“Pinkie Promise?”

Luna had been waiting for an opportunity to try it with somepony. She was taught how it goes by none other that Pinkie Pie herself. Besides, after all the serious talk, she thought it would let some uneasiness go.

“Oh, uh, how does it go again?” said Bon-bon.

Luna began to do the gestures that constituted the promise.

“Easy. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

Bon-bon watched Luna do it and then remembered how to do again.

“Oh yeah.”

Almost immediately, Bon-bon slowly did her Pinkie Promise, making sure she did it right.

“...stick a cupcake in my eye. Done. Are you sure we are supposed to promise like that without telling her.”

“Tell me what?”

Luna and Bon-bon instantly froze. That voice was so close and so familiar. They were not expecting it at all. They frantically looked around the room, trying to find where it came from.

“I'm up here, sillies.”

They looked up to find Pinkie Pie hanging from the ceiling.

“I heard somepony made a Pinkie Promise.”

Luna let out a sigh of relief. She was always startled when Pinkie Pie would pop up in random places, but when it was in good fun, she went with it.

“Oh, uh, hi Pinkie Pie. We weren't expecting you here,” said Luna.

“I know,” said Pinkie, “I just know when a promise of mine is made, I'll be there to know about it.”

Both Luna and Bon-bon were unsure how she got in the house and on the ceiling without the slightest sound. Luna guesses she was just being Pinkie Pie, but Bon-bon could not think of anything because it has been a weird day for her, and the pink pony wasn't helping.

“So what did you guys promise on?”

“We can't tell you that, that would defeat the whole purpose of our promise,” giggled Luna.

“Oh yeah, silly me,” said Pinkie, giggling as well.

Luna glanced at the front door, then back at Bon-bon. She got up from her sitting position and started walking toward the door.

“Well, I better be off. I have some business back in Canterlot.”

Bon-bon remained the couch she was sitting in, letting all the strangeness sink in. She stayed silent ever since Pinkie appeared in the room and thought I'd be a good idea to keep calm.

As Luna was walked out the door of the house, Pinkie Pie bounced out with her. Luna was not in a rush to get to where she wanted to go, but as long as Pinkie was around, she felt that the prancing pink pony would slow her down significantly. She did not want to be mean and tell her to get lost, but Luna had no room for distractions, otherwise she'd lose too much valuable time. She decided to she would part ways with Pinkie once she reached the edge of town so she can fly back to the city.

Luna casually made her way in the direction of Canterlot and took her time strolling through Ponyville with a prancing Earth pony beside her. They arrived near the train station, but before Luna can tell Pinkie to stay, the pink pony bounced in front of her.

“Hey Luna! Do you know where Twilight is?”

“I do.”

“Oh goodie! I thought she disappeared on me. Where is she?”

“In Canterlot.”

Pinkie's smile was replaced by a perplexed look. Whatever Pinkie was thinking of, it was in her the best interest to know what's up with her best best friend. Luna was not supposed to reveal the exact whereabouts of Twilight to keep in under wraps, denying the truth from her friends, or anypony for that matter. She was also told not to speak of the reason why she is in Canterlot to avoid suspicion. Although, she was given orders by the only pony of a slightly higher power that her. This bothered Luna to some extent. However, she thought it wouldn't hurt if she just told Pinkie the general location.

“Why didn't she tell me?” Pinkie asked herself, but directed it toward Luna.

Luna began to sense the the pink pony was on to their little scheme of secrecy. She decided to stall, but was never really good at it.

“Well Pinkie Pie, I must go. It was nice meeting you again.”

“Right now?”

“Yes right now.”

Pinkie stared at the blue alicorn with doubt.

“Okie dokie loki!”

Right then, Princess Luna took off rather quickly and soared back to Canterlot.


After all the excitement that circled around the three ponies in the Mysterious Magic wing, they couldn't find anything else to do. They had most of the information they were looking for, but they were so bored waiting around for Luna to return. Princess Celestia decided not to after her sister because she knew that Luna could handle it on her own, hoping she'd return to aid in the investigation. The two unicorns were only told that Luna had to run an errand somewhere, but were not given specific reasons where or why. Twilight continued to read through the black book that Lyra had, searching through all the cases of unknown magical phenomenon. Lyra asked Spike to write down some stuff of a scroll just so she could see how it was done with an actual appendage rather than magic. She was watching Spike's claw movements the way a foal watched something it's curious about.

“Is it hard to write stuff down?”

“No, not really. It's so simple, I don't think about it. Only thing I focus on are the words I write.”

“Cool.”

“Can I ask why I must keep going?”

“Oh sorry, you can stop whenever you want.”

“Thanks.”

Spike immediately ceased his writing spree and fell backwards on a pile of books, resting his claws and his eyes. Lyra made some notes in her notepad using her magic. She wished she could write things down like Spike could, then she wouldn't have to keep wasting energy on such a simple task.

Lyra could not stop thinking of the event that happened and the event that occurred a long time ago. She remembered that her father's grandfather alive in Canterlot around the same time. He told her the her great granddad was often considered as a stranger to Equestria. There isn't much of anything from his past that might help her explain patterns, or pinpoint the origins of the magic that could put this case in the 'solved' pile. Her knowledge of her family's past is a bit of a mystery to her. Even her parents were unsure if they had any ancestors that lived in Equestria long before the foundation of Ponyville. The only piece of their history is traced back three generations, which by Equestrian standards, isn't a lot.

The more she wondered, the more she wanted to know, but at the moment, she had no means of doing that. She had Twilight and Princess Celestia by her side, what more could she ask for and who else was more qualified to help her out? Lyra thought I'd be better if she waited for some miracle to give her a little more insight on her family heritage.

Twilight had her eyes wide open while she scanned the words on each page of the black book. She didn't understand how she could have overlooked such hidden information. When Celestia read it, she seemed surprised that it ever existed, but Lyra had it the whole time and just treated like any other book.

Some of the entries in the book included sightings of strange creatures in the heart of the Everfree Forest, streaks of light across the skies in the middle of the night, and various other records of the paranormal. The paranormal activities could be easily explained with magic, the streaks of light could be explained by falling space rocks, and most of the strange creatures have now been identified. Only a few percent of the cases in the book was still deemed truly mysterious, one of them being the magical disturbance similar to the recent one they are currently working on. This got Twilight more eager to solve it sooner than ever.

Twilight wanted to ask Celestia if she knew where the book came from, but felt like Celestia might be annoyed with her for having it in the first place. She decided to avoid being put in an uncomfortable conversation with her mentor, whom was resting motionless on the couch near the rear window. Instead, her best bet was Lyra's knowledge of where the book came from.

“Hey Lyra?” Twilight whispered.

“Yes?” she responded lightly.

“Where did you get this book?”

“It- uh, I... um. I forgot.”

“You mean you don't know?”

“I mean, uh, I don't remember.”

Twilight was gonna give up so easily until she noticed the hesitation in Lyra's voice. It was as if she didn't want to reveal its place of origin, hoping to keep it to herself. This was a lousy time for secrets. So, she began using her keen sense of persuasion.

“Are you sure? You seem so sure of all that has been going on around here.”

“When you put it that way, yeah maybe.”

“I think it's imperative to know where this book came from. That way we can maybe find somepony who knows somepony who knows somepony who knows somepony who put this information together.”

As much as Twilight wanted to use her logic, Lyra was a tough cookie to crack. Not only is she smart, but she is aware of Twilight's attempt to get her to spill the beans. What she didn't know was that Twilight had another option.

“So I guess if you don't know, I might need to tell Princess Celestia about your human theory.”

Lyra looked at Twilight with discontent and distrust. She did not like where this was going. It was unnatural for the purple pony to use a light threat on a friend. Twilight had much guilt from the start of her devious plan, but hoped it would get Lyra to tell the truth.

“No, please don't,” she demanded.

“Why not? You don't have something to hide right?”

“No. I mean, yes. I mean, just hold on a second,” She paused for a moment to regain her confidence. “I do know where I got it.”

“If you tell me, I won't tell Celestia. I give you my word.”

“Okay okay. I'm not exactly sure where the original document was written. I found the it in my own house.”

“The original?”

“Yeah. This one right here is just a reprint,” said Lyra pointed at the black book with her hoof. “I reprinted it a while ago since I last saw of the original book back in Ponyville.”

“Is that where it came from?”

“No. I found the original in my great grandfather's first home here in Canterlot. My parents still live in the same house, but I moved to Ponyville when I could support myself. It was buried in the attic when I went up there to explore before I moved to Ponyville. I wasn't looking for anything in specific, just the thrill of finding new things. This book happened to be was the most interesting thing I found, even though at the time I thought is was just some vintage novel. Turns out I found all this information keeps me awake every night.”

“Did you know your great grandfather?”

“No. My parents don't know much about him either, but I was told that he was a strange pony back then. I'd like to know more about him because, if I've done my research correctly, he is the first generation in our family.”

This took Twilight by surprise. Not the part on the book, but that Lyra's family tree may not have originated in Equestria from that short of a timescale. The country had been around for over two thousand years and from what Lyra implied, her family was only around less than two hundred years. As overwhelming as all the information that Lyra gave, there was something was not right about that.

Twilight sighed with curiosity and turned her head over to the Princess. It appeared as if she was sleeping soundly on the comfortable couch, but her eyes clearly open. The conversation between Lyra and Twilight was loud enough for the whole room to hear. Even Spike was wide awake the entire time, he was just on his back trying to get some rest with annoyance that the mares kept him awake. If Celestia was listening, she would have overheard their conversation and most likely would have stepped in, but she didn't. Twilight showed much concern for her mentor since she arrived back from her excursion.

Twilight looked back at Lyra, whom also noticed the strange vibe surrounding the Princess. She then carefully stepped toward her till she was standing right next to the couch.

“Princess?” she asked.

Celestia did not respond.

“Are you alright?” Twilight repeated.

A few more attempts to get her attention failed until Twilight gave her a light tap. Celestia shook her head rapidly as if broken from hypnosis. She slowly turned to her pupil standing right next to her, then looked away at the same speed. She waited a couple seconds, closed her eyes, then sighed.

“I'm sorry girls, but I'm afraid we are not the only ones in distress.”