• Published 30th Apr 2019
  • 9,864 Views, 426 Comments

New Moon - AzuraKeres



Centuries ago, Luna was shunned by her ponies and exiled at the hooves of her elder sister. She perished in her solitude, but her soul lived on through a stone. And some unknown time later a voice calls her to come out.

  • ...
27
 426
 9,864

30: Mother of Five (2/2)

The sound of ponies resounded through the plaza of Baltimare as Bud and her party browsed through the outdoor shops. Hope had proposed they go out and find a reward for Artemis and Nebula after the small filly remained to give the grandmother a hissy fit after their dressing. However, this was no gift that the two could bring back to the apartment for their leisure but ones exclusively available at Hope’s home as bait to draw them back to her clutches. Bud did mention that Hope has her morals when it came to her manipulations, but she never said that there were exceptions.

As they searched for toys and foods to share amongst each other, Bud was beginning to notice a trend of her son’s fascination with bats. It was always something with bat wings and fangs that interested the colt. His collection of toys was filled with predatory creatures that would make most foals cry, but to Artemis, he would cuddle and nibble frivolously upon their ears. Bud grew anxious that her son may grow to pick up some odd preferences in the future.

Nebula, on the other hoof, was gullible to the food presented by her grandmother, as Bud would expect. Her little filly has shown herself to be a glutton for food and despite the mass, she would gobble in her tummy, her figure was still prim and proper as the first day she popped out of Bud. Bud had to wonder if thestrals are common to have metabolism or if it’s just something unique about Nebula. Either way, Bud will have to increase her stocks on her shelves when Nebula gets bigger.

“Bud,” Hope voiced. “Will you be a dear and get us some cotton candy from that stand?” Hope pointed to a stand on the far end of a street from the isle of other outdoor shops. “I want to sit down for a bit.”

“Sure,” Bud nodded. “I’ll get some for the rest of us as well.”

“I knew you would,” Hope smiled. As the group headed on without her, Hope grabbed onto Grace’s hindleg. “You weren’t thinking of leaving me in my lonesome, were you?”

“No,” Grace stuttered. “I thought that you wanted to be alone, that’s all.”

“Good, then you don’t mind sitting with me.” Hope guided the befuddled mare to the center of the plaza where a large fountain stood. Grace vaguely remembers this spot from the carriage she rode to the mansion of the Jaeger family a long time ago. It was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen when its water glittered in the still night. It was the only good thing she remembered before she began being groomed to become the perfect son to the heir of the Jaeger family.

“I used to bring Bud around here a lot at night whenever she felt down,” Hope said. “The fountain makes a distinct glitter and glow that always drives her out of her funk. She described them to be dancing in the air like a group of fireflies.”

“That’s a nice way to put it,” Grace said. “Though, I find it hard to imagine seeing her down. She’s so understanding that it makes it difficult to think that any pony could truly hate her.”

“Everypony is not guaranteed the love of others,” Hope said. “Some just won’t have an affinity for them, be it because of class, personality, or any other sort of value. Differences can push others away, regardless of how small it may appear. The world can be cruel in that kind of way, but that’s why we have a group of friends and families to go back to. They’re the ones that can keep us whole in this big world.”

“To go back to, huh,” Grace repeated as gazed at the statue. It was a stoned figure of a mare with angelic wings. Water shot through portions of its feather, cascading down the three pools it stood above.

“You really surprised back at the boutique,” Hope said. “I didn’t think my words could move you to tears like that. I have to wonder though; did I bring up some memories of yours when I said that?”

“You have nothing to worry about,” Grace hurriedly answered. “It’s something that happened a long time ago...I rather not talk about it.”

“…Okay then,” Hope nodded and then looked at the fountain as well. “You know, you and Bud are kind of alike.”

“Really?” Grace raised a brow. “What would make you suggest that?”

“You two are like perfectionists, trying so hard to figure everything out and become the best of what you can possibly be. Her with being a mother and you being a proper nanny. But, you two always looks to carry so much burden and yet choose not to share with others. I don’t understand why you would hold it when you have a group of friends and families here to support you, but I have to believe that you two have your reasons. However, it hurts me when I can clearly see it bothering the two of you.”

“Are you suggesting that I should speak up about my burdens?” Grace asked.

“It’s not something I want to force or trick out of you,” Hope confessed. “Though, I wonder how patient I should be before it’s too late. It’s like one of those ultimatums where either choice risks hurting the two of you in the end.”

“I’m sorry to hear about that…”

“It’s part of being a parent,” Hope chuckled. “Something Bud will understand fully well when Nebula and Artemis get older.” Hope turned to meet Grace’s gaze. “But back to my point. I just want to let you know that I hope that you can see us as ponies that you can share anything about. You don’t have to bear everything on your own.”

“Is it because we’re friends?”

“Friends?” Hope chuckled. “Oh please, you’re practically my third daughter at this point.”

“Daughter!?” Grace faltered at the mare’s claim. “Wait, third? Who’s the second then?”

“Come now, that should be obvious.” Hope grinned. “Anyhow, whenever you feel ready, I’ll be here to hear you out. Don’t feel afraid to share anything with me.”

Grace looked longingly at the hoof that Hope extended to her. If only she wasn’t cursed with this terrible task from her master. Cursed by this despicable collar that barred her from her true desires. Cursed by being a part of that despicable family that adopted her and tangled her into a life crime and pain.

If only...If only, she met this mare first. Adopted by this loving mare and to be her daughter. To be a sister of Loving Bud. To be a Loving herself, Grace was certain that she would have attained the joy that would have always sought for. A place to belong to as Loving Grace.


Once the group had their fill of cotton candy, Lazuli had requested that they make a stop at a particular place in Baltimare. Nebula voiced angrily to ignore the request of Lazuli, who stole a bite of her cotton candy. However, Nebula ended her tantrum when she noted the field of tombstones they walked through.

They gathered behind Lazuli before a tombstone that had a set of blue stones lined around it. Lazuli picked the stones and set them aside and replaced them with a new set of stones she picked out from a satchel she held. Bud and the others quietly observed Lazuli as she placed the stones around the tombstone until Grace finally felt compelled to ask.

“May I ask what is the purpose of the stones?” Grace asked.

“They’re called lapis lazuli,” Lazuli answered without turning back to meet Grace’s gaze. “My mom used to collect them a lot back in her hometown in Fillydelphia. When I was born, she would always bring me there so we can carry them back to the house. We’d hog a whole bunch to fit a whole treasure chest and used them to decorate all sorts of things. Mostly necklaces and beads to be honest.”

“That’s a unique hobby,” Grace commented.

“No, it’s not,” Lazuli grinned. “Ponies mine for gems all the time. But these stones meant a lot to us. My mom believed in all the superstitions about them. Like how they are supposed to help with relationships and make ponies more honest about themselves. I bet she figured it would hold much more meaning in our name. That’s probably why she named me Lazuli in the first place.”

“Summer Lapis...” Grace voiced. “What kind of mare was she?”

“Believe it or not, she was actually kind of an egghead. She worked as a journalist in this city and she was a really good one because she caught the eyes of the press at Canterlot. She had the chance to work under the most famous press company in Equestria, but she met dad, fell in love, and then had me. Pretty sure I wasn’t part of her plan, but because of that, she tossed her dream away and chose to stay here in Baltimare to watch over me. My dad continued on to be the famed wonderbolt that everpony idolizes while my mom settled for being a local journalist.”

“Oh Lazuli,” Hope sighed. “You know why she did what she did? You shouldn’t feel bad about her decision.”

“I know that. She practically laughed at me when I tried to apologize to her one day for ruining her dream. Can you believe the nerve of her when I tried to let out my heart and soul when I did that,” Lazuli chuckled. “She told me that nothing in the world would make her regret having me because I became a dream of hers when she held me for the first time. Pretty cliché, right?”

“She might have not gotten what she thought she wanted,” Hope said. “But she did get what she needed. You were necessary for her life, and she recognized that. And sometimes, that’s just enough for a pony.”

“You know,” Lazuli said. “I think you and my mom could’ve been great friends if y’all had the chance. You two would have really got along.”

“Your mother sounds right up my alley,” Hope said. “We probably would have become kindred sisters. I could see us now sipping some cider on my porch going on for hours about our daughters. Heaven knows I could've used some pointers in putting a reign on you.”

“That sure would have saved me from a lot of trauma,” Lazuli remarked.

“Don’t say it like that,” Hope said. “It came from the kindness of my heart.”

“I hate to think what the opposite would be then.”

“You’ve two have lost me,” Grace voiced. “What are you talking about?”

“When Lazuli and I became friends,” Bud voiced. “I brought her to the daycare center because she was curious about what I did outside of school. Lazuli got strung along with the games of the foals there and managed to tucker them out with all games she invented for them. Mom was so impressed by her that she hired her as a volunteer.”

“A volunteer? I guess that’s where Lazuli got the idea of becoming a coach then, correct?”

“Yeah,” Lazuli confirmed. “I got to figure out my life goals and dreams and in exchange, I had to unpaid labor for Hope.”

“I don’t think I like that tone,” Hope harrumphed. “I didn’t see you complaining while you got to get all nice and close with my daughter.”

“Don’t say it like that,” Lazuli voiced loudly with a blush. “You’re trying to make things weird?”

“Hey guys,” Bud pointed toward the dusk sky. “It’s starting to get pretty dark out. I think it’s about time we headed back.”

“You’re quite right,” Hope said. “I think my pictures have gotten developed at the photo center. We can head back after I’ve picked them up. I don’t want to lose time framing them.”

“Please don’t joke about that,” Grace said. “I can’t handle the humility of a random pony seeing me in such a humiliating position.”

“Don’t be so modest,” Hope chuckled. “You looked beautiful.”

As the group made their way out of the graveyard, Lazuli remained at the tombstone a bit longer to place her head upon the tombstone. The sun rays made it warm, making Lazuli hopeful to find specific warmth. At least a semblance of the same one she tugged herself town many years ago. “Thanks for everything, mom.”


“Now what should I make for my children tonight,” Hope said as she tied an apron onto herself. “Maybe I should spruce up some nice soup to warm us up.”

“I got this mom,” Bud voiced. “You should spend some time with Artemis and Nebula.”

“It’s no trouble my lovely little Bud,” Hope assured. “It won’t take long.”

“Mom just let me treat you to some food. I want to do this for you.”

Hope paused at her daughter’s words and then nodded, “Well, if you feel strongly about this, then I guess I’ll leave you to it then.”

“Thank you, mom,” Bud smiled and then headed off to the kitchen.

At the living room, Hope found her grandfoals on the couch with Lazuli and Grace. Hope skipped to the couch and grabbed a hold of her surprised grandfoals, drowning them with her streaks of kisses.

Strangely, Hope noticed how Nebula wasn’t putting much of a fight against her. Maybe her little granddaughter has finally learned to just accept her grandmother’s affection or maybe, she’s just permitting her because of the holiday. The latter sounds so much more probable, but Hope chose to lean on the former.

“My little filly is such a glutton for affection today,” Hope cooed. “Don’t you worry, my love is endless like a waterfall.”

“You have a way of making everything so cringey,” Lazuli commented.

“It is a little overbearing,” Grace concurred.

“I’m going to feel so lonely when you leave my grasp tomorrow,” Hope continued. “But those remarkable pictures I have of you and the others are sure to keep my spirits up. Hm, I think I may have to make a few copies for Blueberry.”

“Hold on,” Lazuli widened her eyes alongside Grace. “No pony said anything about copies.”

“Come now, Lazuli,” Hope said. “Something as special as this can’t stay hidden. I just have to share it with somepony.”

“You can’t be serious?” Lazuli said. “There is no way I’m letting any pony see me in those dresses.”

“Don’t be shy Lazuli, you look so beautiful in these dresses. You should really get in touch with your feminine side more often.”

“No uh, I’m drawing the line here,” Lazuli stated. “No pony sees this.”

“I’m sorry, Lazuli,” Hope said. “But I’m afraid that this is non-negotiable. It’s my day, after all.”

“How about a challenge then,” Grace voiced. “We settle this in a match and if we win, then you will have to keep those pictures locked in your room, never share it with any pony.”

“A challenge, eh?” Hope lowered the foals to the floor and then tapped her chin. “Okay then, however, should I win, then I shall be given another free session to have all of you as models.”

“You want us to do that again!?” Lazuli was shocked.

“Are we in an agreement?” Hope grinned at a disturbed Tenure Grace.

Lazuli walked to Grace’s side and whispered to her ear, “I’m not sure about this. That mare is full of many surprises than she lets on.”

“I’m well aware of that,” Grace grumbled. “But don’t worry, we happen to have a secret weapon that she's unaware of.”

“We do?”

“It’s a deal,” Grace said.

“Wonderful,” Hope clapped her hooves. “So then, how should we settle our bet?”

“A card game,” Grace answered. “And Nebula will be your opponent.”

“You want me to face my cute little devil,” Hope awed. “I never figured you would let another pony fight your own battle. Especially a cute cuddly filly.”

“Who’re you calling cuddly!?” Nebula angrily voiced.

“I’m just going with the winning strategy,” Grace said.

“Is that so,” Hope said. “Then let’s see where this strategy leads you.”

Grace picked up Nebula and set her on the other side of the living room table from Loving Hope. She then whispered to the filly’s ear, “We’re counting on you Nebula.”

“Fear not my lowly servant,” Nebula said. “It was inevitable that I would have to put this mare in her place. Now come at me Loving Hope. En garde!”

After their card game, Lazuli and Grace tugged on Hope’s hind legs as they begged for Hope to reconsider the bet. The two mares were appalled at how flawless Hope’s victory was over Nebula. It was like a grown mare playing a regular match over a baby foal. But this baby foal was a genius, who managed to make fools of Lazuli and Grace!

“Now don’t be a spoilsport,” Hope said. “A deal is a deal, remember?”

“Please show mercy, Ms. Hope,” Grace begged. “We don’t mind you sharing the pictures with your sisters. But please, don’t make us go back to that boutique.”

“Oh no,” Hope shook her head and gave a devilish grin. “You’re going back. And this time, I’m going to have Prim Hemline prepare a very special set of commissions for just the two of you.”

“How did you lose,” Lazuli pointed at Nebula who was examining the cards. “You whipped us so easily back at home. Hope bribed you, didn’t she?”

“Stop your complaining,” Nebula growled. “I put as much effort as I did in denouncing all of your confidence back then. It would seem to appear that Hope is quite the player. I must submit defeat to her skills.”

“A bet is a bet, Lazuli,” Hope grinned. “I do hope to see you later on at the boutique.”

“…” Lazuli kept her head down, too frustrated, and embarrassed to look at the mare. Something told her that she’s going to find herself in a bunch of frills and laces in her future.

While Lazuli and Grace were shaking at their inescapable omen, Hope headed into the kitchen to check on her daughter. Her daughter sighed when she saw Hope and said, “You know, you're bullying them too much.”

“Don’t say such harsh things,” Hope said. “We were merely bonding.”

“More like taking advantage of her desperation.”

“I’m a very fair pony, my lovely little Bud,” Hope assured her daughter. “I gave them a chance and they failed.”

“I see your morals are down the drain today.”

“So,” Hope skipped to her daughter’s side. “What is my sweet filly making tonight?”

“Just fruit salads, mostly on the orange side.”

“My favorite fruit,” Hope cheered. “You know me so well.”

“Of course, I do,” Bud said matter-of-factly. “You’re my mom.”

“My, it only seemed like a day ago when you followed me wherever I went as a filly. You were so anxious and scared to be around others, but now you’re so full of confidence and determination.”

“I’m not all of that,” Bud said. “I’m still anxious about stuff.”

“But you’re not afraid to face them head-on anymore,” Hope remarked. It’s amazing how much you’ve grown within a month. I’m so proud of you.”

“Thank you, mom,” Bud smiled. “But It only happened because you gave me that push to leave Baltimare. I don’t think I would be in the same place I am now if it weren’t for you.”

“All I did was make a gamble,” Hope confessed. “I wanted you to find your own special place as I did. Sure, I gave you a push and as did all your friends and family, but the most important pony that led the way was yourself. We can make all the roads we like for you, but only you get to choose which one to cross. So, don’t discount that.”

“I won’t mom.”


After a rowdy dinner with the family, Bud and the others resigned to bed for the night. The darkness returned to the halls and room as Hope decided to leave her room. Down the hall, she peered into her daughter’s room, where she found her sleeping with her foals burrowed between her legs.

Quietly walking into the living room, Hope found Grace and Lazuli sleeping on opposite ends of the couch. The two made such a fuss of who would sleep on the couch that Hope had to step in to make the final choice for them to share the couch together. If her camera didn’t need to make a flash, she would have taken a picture of the two of them.

Hope strode through the front door of her house and settled on a rocking chair on her porch. A nice piece of mahogany that Granny Smith’s late husband built for her as a kind gift on her way to Baltimare.

Hope only managed a few rocks before she heard a small knock on her door. Confused, Hope hopped off the chair and opened her door. From the other side, she discovered Artemis beaming his eyes at Hope’s.

“Now what on Celestia are you doing up?” Hope wondered.

Artemis went up to Hope and crawled his hooves on her leg. Hope couldn’t help but chuckle at her grandson’s attempt and grabbed hold him so they can sit on the rocking chair together “Wanted to spend some more time with your granny, huh? You’re such a sweet colt.”

Hope rocked the chair and caressed Artemis’s mane. There was a strange aura the moon rays aroused from Artemis. It nearly appeared like his body was glittering under its rays.

“You know,” Hope started. “If some pony told me that this would be life many years ago, I would’ve scoffed at them.” Hope rocked her chair a few more times as she noted her grandson’s ears perking to her voice.

“This might come as a surprise,” Hope continued. “But my past is filled with a lot of violence and secrecy. It came with the job I had, so it’s not a surprise. But I tell ya, I can’t tell you numbers of horrors I had to round up and lock into Tartarus. Some ponies mostly did it for just cause for the safety of everypony, but I did just to pay off bits for me and my sister.”

Hope frowned at the memory that came to her, but she decided to continue on. But why? It’s not like her grandson would understand any of this. “Our father was a heavy gambler. He promised he would one day win it big at Las Pegasus, but all he really did was bring more problems for himself. And then, it became ours when he passed. The many zeros we inherited as debt drove us nuts. There was no way I could let this burden, my sister. She had a dream to become a baker, and there was no way I was going to let my father’s mistake get in the way of it.”

Why? Why was she telling her grandson this? “I’ve...done things that I’m not really proud of and I was certain the life I chose for myself would one day lead me to a lonesome death. There are still days where I have asked if I really deserve all of this, but I’m pretty Gambi would say I most certainly do with all the flowery words no regular pony would say.” A tear escaped Hope’s eyes as she continued to rock her grandson. “I really miss that silly stallion. I hope he can see all the great things he’s done for us, and for me.”

Hope and Artemis continued to look upon the moon together that quiet night. When Artemis finally fell asleep, Hope took him back to his mother and she returned to her bedroom. After one more look at the framed picture on her dress, she went into her bed and slept through the remaining night.