• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 17,582 Views, 863 Comments

Hope and Shadows - dlazerous



Follow the lives of the main six and their children as they face an uncertain future

  • ...
33
 863
 17,582

Rescue at Demon's Run Part 3

Hope and Shadows
Chapter 23 “Rescue at Demon’s Run”
Part 3
By Steven Little
My Little Pony © Hasbro




Blueblood smiled at the shocked expressions on the faces of his new captives, he knew that as long as he held his little bargaining chip, they would not dare assault him directly. “Gordon, my good stallion, would you do the honors?”

“With pleasure, my King.” A gray unicorn said as he pushed up his half rim glasses and quickly ran his hoof through his short cut, black mane. The stallion’s horn glowed to life, as did each pane of segmented glass in the many windows surrounding the throne room. Twilight and her small band of rescuers stared in awe, as each pane of glass became a small portal showing hundreds of images from around Equestria, Images that soon filled with the faces of thousands of ponies and the occasion griffon or minotaur.

“And now we have our audience for what I’m sure will be a most enlightening debate.” Blueblood said, laughing quietly at a joke that only he understood seeing as his guards looked at each other with as much confusion as Celestia and the others.

“Well, laugh.” The demented unicorn said, his soldiers erupting into laughter. “That’s enough, now shut up!” His stallions fell silent.

“What is this Blueblood?” Celestia asked, staring at the multitude of images surrounding them.

“Every pane of glass in each of these windows is actually a portal to every plate glass window in the kingdom. Of course, the populace can only see and hear us, they can’t come through and you can’t escape.” The would-be King explained.

“If you simply wished to discuss the way the kingdom was run, it could have been done with much less difficulty than this,” Luna announced. “I suspect that your intentions are nowhere near as innocent as you would have us believe.”

“Day to day operations are of no concern to me. I speak of the grander designs of this monarchy, dire concerns that the throne would not listen to,” he shouted at the Lunar Princess. “You were always too busy with your concubine and your bastard children. Celestia had turned a deaf ear to my warnings time and time again while all over the nation, morality and decency crumbled to dust, the institution of nobility continued to be torn down all in the name of ‘fairness’.” The pampered stallion told her.

“How dare you disparage my wife and children!?” Luna shouted.

“Silence you paltry excuse for nobility!” Blueblood shouted back. “Everywhere I look stallions are treated like third class citizens while mares get away everything. And of course, while my warnings and misgivings are ignored, the throne quietly sweeps everything under the rug and goes on as if nothing is wrong, like everything is going according to some master plan.”

“What does all of this have to do with our children?!” Applejack demanded

“Yes, by what right did you abduct our children.” Octavia asked. “I thought you learned your lesson about kidnapping the last time you tried it. And if you think you’re going to get away with it this time, you have another thing coming.” The gray mare shouted, her wife desperately trying to hold her back.

“I knew the Princesses would ignore my warning and try something, being the closest allies of the Princesses, your children were taken to insure that you didn’t try anything stupid but alas it seems you don’t care about your children half as much as I hoped.”

“That’s where you’re wrong Blueblood,” Julian said, calmly. “We love our children, more that you could possibly understand. We love them so much we would risk everything to get them back.” The brown stallion said as he stepped closer to his adopted daughter.

“That’s all very touching but it hardly maters anymore now that I have all of you here. As long as I have my last bargaining chip, you won’t try anything, now you’ll have to listen and acknowledge the lies you’ve spread, the true nature of your rule, something you’ve kept concealed for centuries but no longer. All of Equestria will bear whiteness to the truth.” He said pointing to the numerous images surrounding them.

“And what particular truth would that be?” Cadence asked her brother.

“Why, the absolute truth my dear sister. The truth about Celestia’s plan to turn the stallions of the country into a slave cast since now, thanks to that peasant whore she took as her student, you don’t even need a stallion to reproduce.” Lyra, Bonbon, Vinyl, Octavia, and Twilight glared at the Prince for revealing a secret that all of them had kept quite for a reason; Gertrude and Penelope only looked to each other and then to the insulted mares curiously. Both Luna and Celestia were quickly loosing their patience with the Prince and the constant insults he hurled at Twilight.

“And I would be remiss if I failed to inform everypony watching and listing about Celestia’s crowning achievement in treachery; the fact the she, the crown Princess of this nation, sold out the entire kingdom to the dragons, not once but three times! She’s put us all in danger by giving the dragons a legal claim to the throne of Equestria!” The demented stallion announced.

“What the hell are you talking about Blueblood?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Twice, she’s tried to conceive an offspring with that half dragon freak next to her,” he said, pointing an accusing hoof at Kirin. “My ancestor, Proud Wing was able to stop it the first time. Unfortunately for my ancestor, he wasn’t smart enough to make sure the job was done properly. I would have succeeded this time if Doctor Sawbones hadn’t screwed up the whole plan by allowing Luna’s bastard daughter to take the poison instead. That’s what I get for relying on others I suppose,” Blueblood quipped to himself. “But all this pails in comparison with her most current accomplishment, it really is no surprise that Celestia didn’t tell you, not being able to conceive a child with that monster the first time, she adopted that dragon, that Spike you’re all so fond of, into the royal family.” He announced.

“What?” The majority of the rescue party shouted.

“By right of law, should something happen to Celestia and Luna, he would be next in line for the throne.” Blueblood concluded.

“Is this true?” Twilight asked her sister-in-law.

“Yes Twilight, it’s true.” Rarity told her.

“You knew?” Celestia and Luna asked her.

“What, you knew too?” Twilight asked her wife in shock.

“Yes, I knew because after you aged Spike artificially, we agreed to never keep a secret from each other, no mater what,” Rarity admitted. “And yes Blueblood, you insufferable twit, he is a Prince of Equestria, more than you could ever hope to be, but he has given up his claim to the throne barring extraordinary circumstances.”

“Spike never wanted the throne to begin with.” Celestia told them. “I groomed him for palace life, etiquette, manners, even fencing lessons but ever since I told him of the adoption he has denied himself the privileges of royalty, all he’s ever wanted was the love of a family and to help out his big sister Twilight.”

“When I came back after my banishment, Celestia told me of this and at first I had my own concerns but after I got to know the boy, I knew that he was no danger to anypony and, that aside, being adopted he would be last to take the throne; after my sister I would rule, should something happen to me, Dawn would ascend to the throne followed by her brother and not because she is a mare but because she was born first. Should something happen to them, Twilight would be given the throne, but after her, then and only then would the throne be offered to my nephew and only if he wanted it, he would never be under any obligation.” Luna explained.

“All you’ve proven is that the reptile needs to kill the entire royal family to ascend the throne, something that I doubt many dragons would find difficult.” Blueblood sneered.

“They tried once before,” Celestia told him in a dark tone. “And they failed, miserably.”

Blueblood was upset, if he didn’t turn things around quickly the populace may side with them. “All of that matters not because, under my rule, I plan to return Equestria to its greatness by rebuilding the moral and civil core that you have let erode. I shall rebuild this country under my guidance, a stallion’s guidance. You mares are far too emotional, given over to your feelings without thinking about the repercussions. You allow Pegasi, Unicorns, and Earth-ponies to interbreed with abandon, diluting the family lines and throwing the country into chaos. Earth ponies are giving birth to pegasi, Pegasi giving birth to unicorns, etcetera, etcetera. The tree tribes were separate for a reason and under my rule they will be again, restoring order to my ponies and my country.”

“You would break the unity of the nation asunder?” Luna asked. “The ponies were miserable divided.”

“Only because you refused to manage their leaders properly, instead you dethroned them and took over, forcing them together, something so unnatural that it nearly caused an all out war.” Blueblood said, defending his position.

“We were children during the unification, our mother prevented the war and she was elected ruler of the three tribes, nopony was forced to do anything.” Celestia told him.

“So you say, so you say, but as a direct and the only male descendant of the Platinum line, I will rule the three tribes as separate classes each with their own privileges and responsibilities. The nation will be shaken up a bit but when the dust settles, a new, stronger Equestria will emerge.”

“My goodness, you are demented aren’t you?” Twilight said, finally addressing the Princes accusations directly. “I could care less what you think of me, Horace but if you’re going to start throwing around allegations and recalling history, you’d best be able to back it up.”

“Twilight, what are you doing?”

“Relax Fluttershy, he just stepped hoof into my domain and I will not let a challenge go unanswered.” She told the yellow pegasus before stepping forward to challenge Blueblood assertions.

“You dare to question me,” Blueblood demanded. “Now who’s being presumptuous?”

“Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than this sage amongst her books. For to you the Kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to me they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned by the flicking of a hoof.” Twilight recited from a memory she shared from her ancestor. “You should have paid more attention to history class Horace and not so much to your racist, sexist father. For one, you are not the last male descendant of the Platinum line; actually Garnet over there holds that distinction. And something you might not have know, is that during the unification of the three tribes, should the line of Faust fall or be absolved, rule of the tribes goes to the descendants of the original three leaders with strongest claim to that throne and that currently is not you.”

“What nonsense is this?” Blueblood asked.

“Unlike you, I’ve had accesses to the original documentation, and according to the ancient laws, that all local mayors know and will most likely be made available to the citizens,” she said in a much louder voice. “You would have to not only prove your lineage but that you are best to lead. Now while you might, and I stress might, qualify to rule the unicorns, you would have no power over the other tribes, that responsibility would fall to Jato and Honey, both of whom are the last descendants of Chancellor Pudding Head and Commander Hurricane. Add to that the fact that they’re married and no doubt would produce an offspring that would have the right to command both nations, something the unicorns could never defend against.” Twilight finished, a little smug smile on her face.

“You would be wise not to underestimate my abilities or what I’m capable of.” Blueblood warned.

“I'll give you that one, I don’t think anypony saw this coming, but let's do a quick head count here: six alicorns, considered demi-gods by most; a changeling with abilities you could only dream of; a living legend amongst griffons who kind of lives up to the legend; a dragon rampaging around the castle with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple sets of parent who’ve had their children taken from them and are pretty fair fighters themselves, every royal guard in Equestria, and you, your worship,” Twilight said sarcastically. “You've managed to piss off every single one of them.”

“Your threats don’t scare me.” Blueblood said, venom dripping in his voice.

“Really, because it should.” Sweetie Belle spoke up.

“I have allies in every kingdom in the world; nations you thought were firmly in your camp have been secretly supplying me and my soldiers for months now!”

“You're missing the point!” Twilight yelled. “There's no throne waiting for you, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army wins and maybe this is all too much for us but it's all on you. Because even if you do win and somehow get all the ponies to follow you, what makes you think the other nations wont seize upon the opportunity presented by a weakened Equestria and try to take it for themselves? End this now before somepony gets hurt.”

The spoiled Prince was furious but remembered he still had another card to play. “Funny you should mention that,” Blueblood said, giving the throne next to him a swift kick. The assembled ponies stared in shock when the elaborate chair fell apart revealing a cage containing a scared and freighted Ruby.

“Ruby!” Rarity shouted. “I swear to Faust, Blueblood, if you harm a single hair on her precious head, I will kill you myself!”

“My dear Rarity, why in Equestria would I want to harm her? She’s my key to this kingdom and I want her as safe as equinely possible.” The delusional stallion told her. “Princess Celestia, you’re little guard dog gave a nice little speech but this is really very simple, all you have to do is renounce your claim to the throne, along with the rest of your family and directly appoint me as heir apparent, that will get me around that archaic contract you’re clinging to Twilight. And just for good measure, you’re also going to hoof over that freak of nature standing next to you.”

“You can’t be serious.” Celestia said, not believing the outrageous demands of the stallion in front of her.

“Oh, I’m very serious, I have your grandchild and soon I will have this kingdom and immortality itself!” Blueblood shouted triumphantly.

He smiled as he saw the astonished looks on the faces of the ponies in front of him. “Yes, I know who the kirin is, ponies of Equestria,” he shouted. “That creature standing next to your oh so beloved Princess is none other than the dark one himself, Discord. The monster that killed hundreds of ponies in the past, threatened to take over the kingdom more than once is the creature your Princess chose to share her bed with! Tell me Princess, do you lift your tail for any sociopath or just this one in particular?”

“How dare you!?” Kirin shouted

“I’ll dare anything I please you disgusting monster!” Blueblood responded. “And if you want to keep your precious Princess alive, you will grant me the same immortality you gave to that undeserving whore, Twilight Sparkle!”

Blueblood raised a hoof and twelve of the unicorns in the room raised a bow with a gleaming golden bolt pulled to the ready. Celestia’s eyes widened, instantly recognizing what the arrows were made of. “You would dare weaponize Solar-Steel?”

“Why not, after I infiltrated the palace, it was nothing to get my hooves on a few spare sets of solar armor and have them melted down into a good supply of arrows for my troops. I have to admit, it took a great deal of doing but in the end I have to admit, it was worth the expense. I and I alone have sole control over the only weapon that can kill an Alicorn.” The demented unicorn said with a smile.

“But I can’t,” Kirin told him. “That power, it was only on loan to me, I don’t have that power anymore, I never did. I couldn’t make you an alicorn if I wanted to.”

“You lie! I know you have the power; my minions saw it with their own eyes. One moment, Twilight and Luna were mere unicorns, the next they were both alicorns. You were seen in the area and you were seen performing magic on them.”

“It wasn’t him Horace, it was me, I was the one who returned Luna’s wings and it was my spell they gave them to me as well.” Twilight revealed. “If you don’t believe me, use a truth spell, I know you’re at least capable of that.”

His horn glowing, Blueblood cast the spell of the purple alicorn in front of him and was momentarily stunned by it’s results. “You speak the truth, I don’t know how but it’s true.” The crazed unicorn said, still not believing it completely. “Fine, then all of this falls to you, grant me my much deserved immortality and this can all end now.”

“Just like that,” Gertrude asked. “Get same fancy wings and you’ll let us all go?

“Indeed.” He said with a smug grim upon his face. “If Twilight Sparkle does exactly for me that she did for herself then you may all leave, provided that you acquiesce of my other demands.”

“Fine, I’ll do for you exactly what I did for Luna and myself; nothing more, nothing less.” Twilight said as she strode out from the heard of ponies that had surrounded her.

“No, Twilight, don’t do it, you can’t give into this bastards demands!” Vinyl shouted.

“Don’t worry, Twilight knows what she’s doing.” Celestia informed her. “If this is what it takes to earn our freedom, than so be it.” Luna nodded her agreement.

Charging up her horn, the lavender Alicorn stood before the prince, he legs slightly splayed to absorb the backlash the spell would unleash. “Are you ready Horace?”

“I was ready for this from the first moment I knew it was possible, but don’t try anything funny unless you want your friends turned to pin-cushions.” The arrogant Prince told her.

“Agreed, no tricks, only precisely what I promised.” Twilight said as she closed her eyes and readied herself for casting the spell. The lavender alicorns mane and tail violently fluttered and ambled about her as if blown awry by an errant gust of wind that seemed to focus on her alone. The alicorns eyes were screwed tight shut as she channeled her magic for a spell she could not perform on her own before she obtained her own pair of wings. Her horn glowed with blinding intensity, the light it gave off growing brighter and larger with every passing moment. With a final flourish of her horn, a beam of pure magical energy shot from her horn and enveloped Blueblood in it’s light. When the brightness of the room finally dimmed enough for all to see, Blueblood stood before the ruin of the ancient thrown, his chest thrust out and a new set of majestic wings unfurled in full display behind him.

“It worked, it really worked.” The deluded Prince shouted, overjoyed with his new form. “Already I can feel the ancient powers of the Alicorn line surging through my veins. This is incredible, how long have you had this ability?” He asked. “NO, it doesn’t matter, now that I know where the power lies I can safely dispose of those I find no use for. It really is a pity, monster but since you can be of no real use to me, I’m afraid I’m going to have to finish what I started.”

Twilight and the others gasped in shock. “No, Blueblood, you promised!” Celestia called out.

“I lied,” he said with a chilling smile. “Guards, kill the draconequus.”

Three of the bow-armed stallions in the room turned their weapons upon the seemingly helpless kirin when the main door of the chamber shuddered under a tremendous blow. All action in the room stopped in a second and all eyes stared at the double doors at the far end of the room. The door shock and started to crack as another incredible blow impacted their wooden surface. “What is that, what monster did you conjure here to defeat me?!” Blueblood yelled.

“We didn’t conjure anything here but ourselves,” Twilight told him. “ You don’t think…”

Twilight wasn’t able to get another word out before the doors were forcefully smashed off its hinges, their incredible mass thudding to the floor, kicking up a cloud of dust. As soon as the air cleared, they saw Emerald laying on the floored covered in bleeding cuts and other sundry injuries. Reaching out a claw to her friends she called to them. “Run, run you fools, he’s coming!”

“What, what’s coming?!” Blueblood asked in a panic.

“A monster you created Blueblood.” Luna told him, her voice cold and impassive.

All of the Prince’s would-be captives rushed to the green dragoness, the five alicorns doing their best to heal her with their considerable magic. “Emerald, dear are you alright?” Rarity asked her.

A deafening roar echoed through the corridors as Emerald tried to get to her feet. “I’m fine, it was Spike, I found him tearing through what was left of the parapet guards when he spotted me. I tried to reason with him, I truly did but, in his rage, he could only see me as a territorial rival. He’s claimed this castle as his territory and will defend it to his death, that’s why you need to run, all of you, if he finds you, he’ll kill you.”

“No, not my Spikey, he wouldn’t…” Rarity said before being interrupted by the self important Prince that was all but being ignored at this point.

“I don’t know how your dragon escaped his bonds but if he so much as sets a claw towards me, than I’m afraid Equestria will loose one of it’s Princes, but I don’t think it’ll come to that, as soon as he sees that I have his child, he’ll fall into line with the rest of you.”

Emerald glanced over at the self-important stallion holding her niece. “I suggest you release my niece and run as fast as you can before my brother gets here.” The dragoness said coldly.

“Silence monster, you don’t scare me. As long as I have this,” he said, holding Ruby aloft. “Your brother wouldn’t dare harm me.”

While Blueblood was complaining about his lack of attention at the moment, Spike rounded the corner and stared at his sister standing in the doorway, blocking his view of the other ponies. Pausing only momentarily, Spike charged at the green dragoness that seemed to be shielding an odor that was driving him to ever increasing heights of rage, an odor he recognized as Blueblood’s scent. Pounding the floor with his claws, he propelled himself forward with even greater speed, crashing his large bulk into his sister. Emerald punched and clawed at her brother out of defense, as the two dragons wrestled each other on the ground, each trying to get the upper claw on the other. The whole time Blueblood could not take his eyes off the purple monster rolling on the ground.

“Dear Sleipnir, what is that?” The white stallion asked in shock.

“That is my son, Blueblood,” Celestia told him. “Take a good look, like what Kirin had become after suffering your ancestors cruelty, this is what your own hatred has done to my precious boy.” The alabaster mare said, softly crying.

“To bad, Proudwing had not taken precautions like me,” Blueblood said, a sneer gracing his chiseled features. “Guards, kill the dragon!

“Which one?” One of the Princes minions asked.

“You have enough arrows, kill them both!” The Prince ordered.

For a moment, no guard moved a muscle lest they draw the crazed dragons attention. Blueblood was slightly confused for a moment by his guards’ inaction but soon gathered his wits. “Did you hear me, I gave you an order, kill those dragons!”

Again, nothing happened. Dusk, tired of even his families’ inaction, tried to move forward to protect his uncle when Luna put across his chest to impede his movement. “Mother, what are you doing, shouldn’t we do something, eventually one of these guards is going to fire.”

“No Dusk,” Celestia told him, she herself holding Kirin back from helping her adopted son. “Spike is dangerous right now, Emerald can hold him but if anypony tries to do anything, Spike may very well attack them.”

Finally, one of the guards bucked up enough courage to jump forward in an attempt to ingratiate themselves upon there would be king. “Don’t worry your majesty, I’ll kill the beast for you!” He shouted. The eyes of all the ponies in the room shifted to him and watched as he pulled the trigger of his crossbow, releasing the Solar-steel shaft from its cradle. The golden bolt flew straight and true towards the purple drake but in the stallions haste he neglected to aim carefully and embedded the golden shaft in the drakes’ right shoulder.

While not fatal, the arrow lodged in Spikes shoulder most assuredly hurt him considerably and drew the dragons’ attention to the unfortunate stallion that attempted to take his life. Stepping off his sister, he lunged at his attacker snuffing out the stallions’ life before he had time to curse his bad luck. Trying to keep everypony safe, Luna and Twilight ushered them into a corner and used their magic to prop one of the fallen doors up to provided a shield against flying debris. Celestia and the other hoof, was rooted in place, witnessing the savagery of her only son.

“Meddle not in the affairs of dragons my child for they find thee crunchy and pleasing to the taste when seasoned with ketchup.” Celestia said under her breath.

“What was that?” Kirin asked her, not quite hearing what she said.

“Oh, it’s nothing, just something my mother told me when I was very young.”

Kirin wrapped a wing around the alabaster mare and placed a claw on her shoulder. “Come Celest, there is nothing we can do for him now, we have to wait for his anger to subside.” The halfbreed said, trying to convince her.

“I can’t just leave him out there on his own, I have to do something.” She insisted.

“I understand your desire to help but what can you do? What can you do against a dragon caught in the intoxication of rage?” Kirin asked in an attempt to appeal to her more rational side.

While at first, Celestia took umbrage at the kirin’s suggestion that she simply abandon her son to destruction, it had the effect of sparking a memory of the past; of a time when her, then toddler son, had become so enraged by the suggestion that he should stop spending so much time with Twilight and more time with children his own age. At that time in his life, a time most parents would refer to as the terrible two’s it was even more so for dragon children as there temper tantrums could result to the laying to waste of entire forests.

Celestia had dealt with her fair share of spoiled dignitaries and royals over the years to know that you couldn’t give them an inch or they’d attempt to walk all over you, she saw her sons’ tantrums in much the same way. Thinking back to her solution then, she hoped it might prove even half as effective now. Walking away from her mate she approached where Spike was being sloppily held off with spears by Blueblood’s guards, she projected a shield in front of the dragon and pushed it forward, slamming the guards into the wall.

Princess Celestia gathered her strength and addressed her son with the volume one thought only her sister could muster. “Spike Ember Caelum! You will stop this ruckus right now young drake or so help me I will bend you over my knee and spank you in front of Sleipnir and everypony!”

The entire room went silent. Most of the guards were knocked out either by Celestia’s shield smashing them into the wall or the sheer volume of her voice. Everypony behind the Princess was stunned into silence by the volume of her threat while the dragon in front of her froze mid-roar. Turning slowly, the purple reptile met the angry gaze of the alabaster alicorn in front of him. Sitting heavily on his haunches, his head hung down, unable to look in the eye the on mare who meant almost as much to him as his murdered wife, the mare that had raised him, loved him and put up with all his tantrums and brooding as a child, his mother.

“Now Spike, what have you been told about rampaging around, causing extensive damage to the property of others?” Celestia asked in a tone that was not to be ignored.

“To not to.” The sullen dragon said, his size slowly shirking. “But they… Rarity… the children, he… They’re gone, Blueblood had them killed,” the dragon, said, his anger coming back. Blueblood quickly hid Ruby behind him. “And now, he’s gonna pay.” He said as he turned to reap his vengeance upon the stallion. Before he could turn fully, a flash of white a purple caught his good eye, poking from around the door, stopping him in his tracks. Walking further from the protection of the heavy door they used as a shield, Rarity emerged, followed shortly by Sweetie Belle and Garnet.

“It was a lie my darling boy. That monster told you only what he though would hurt you most.” Celestia told her son.

Dropping all pretense of shame in his actions, the now smaller dragon scrambled across the stone floor towards his family, his claws gouging into the stone in his mad dash to be with them. Rarity, unfortunately did not see her husband. What she saw was a blood-soaked dragon covered in horrible gashes and missing and eye and ear. The sight of the creature lunging toward her was enough to cause her to cringe back behind the door. Spike couldn’t help but watch his wife recoil at the site of him.

“Daddy?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Spike, buddy, is that you? Rainbow Dash asked, stepping out from behind the door.

The purple dragon’s single eye scanned the ponies in front of him, all his friends, his family, and even a few he didn’t recognize were there. They had all come to rescue him and his children. Moving his eye from pony to pony, he noticed that none of the younger children were there. “The foals,” he asked, a little stunned by the gruff sound of his own voice. “What’s happened to them, are they safe?”

“Yes, they were sent back to the castle with Ditzy.” Julian told him.

Blueblood seethed in anger at the recent news the brown stallion revealed. He had ordered the guards to separate the foals from the older ponies when the attack had started and now they were out of his grasp. “Ah, ah, ahh, not all of them.” The spoiled Prince said, glad he still had one last hand to play. Using his magic, he held Ruby aloft by her tail, swinging her gently back and forth. “Are we forgetting something? Unless you want something unfortunate to happen to this thing, you will give into my demands; renounce your thrown or watch this sad little thing die.”

“You pathetic waste of hide,” Spike grunted out. “You hid behind children while you plot and scheme; you stand upon a self made pedestal and think yourself tall, above others but you’re not.”

Apple Bloom stood beside her dearest non-pony friend. “He’s right Blueblood, I’ve traveled all over this continent and I’ve seen more nobility in a bum on the street then anything you’ve ever shown.”

“How dare you speak to me as if you have some moral high ground? You who selfishly abandoned your own family just so you could gallivant around the countryside, doing whatever you please.” The snobbish unicorn declared, an air of superiority in his voice. “And lets not forget about you dragon, you who on one claw would declare to want nothing but peace and family while using the other to murder ponies by the dozens; you’re no better that the rest of you’re bloodthirsty race.”

Even though the acquisition stung, the ramifications of what he had done in his rage had not completely registered with Spike and even at that point it was still a bit fuzzy to him but he couldn’t deal with that now, he had to save his daughter, no matter the cause. “You wont hurt her, you’re too scared,” the purple dragon said, staring Blueblood in the eye with his one. “Put her down and let her go now, and I guarantee you’ll walk out of here alive, but if you harm a single hair on her head, I swear to you on the grave of my father that you will beg for death before the end.”

“I think not monster.” Blueblood said as he used his magic to pluck a single hair from Ruby’s mane.

Spike lunged forward, enraged by the spoiled stallions deliberate baiting but was held back by his friends and family. “Spike, don’t rise to his bait, if you run in their now, you could hurt your daughter.” Kirin told him, pushing against his chest.

“He’s right Spike,” Cadence told him. “Rushing in will only make things worse.”

“We know you want to help her.” Lyra said.

“But who knows what traps or tricks he has waiting.” Bonbon finished, trying in vein to hold onto his tail along with her wife.

“You see dragon, even though I’m an, evil bastard I think the term was, even now you’re so called friends are protecting me from you. They protect their own kind because they know, deep down, I’m one of them and you’re just a monster.

“Don’t listen to him.” Kirin implored.

With a below of fiery rage, Spike reared up and threw off those trying to hold him back, his friends and family sent flying into the guards surrounding the room. Charging toward the treasonous prince, mouth agape, teeth flashing in the light, Spike bored a hole of hate and malice into the Prince’s eyes but his gazed shifted to his daughter for only a moment, but a moment was all it took. In Ruby’s innocent eyes he saw fear and horror, the kind of fright that a child only displays when looking at a nightmare. This realization stopped Spike in his tracks but it was too late, the damage had been done and in the split second it took for him to attempt to reach out and reclaim his child, the small, terrified infant gave out a shriek of pure terror along with a jet of crimson flame right into the face of her captor.

The unbelievable pain caused by the searing flame caused Blueblood to scream as well. Concerned with his own well being, he threw the source of his blinding pain away from him with so much force the poor child went sailing through a closed door to an antechamber a short distance behind the screaming Prince.

Forgetting about the wailing stallion, Spike rushed to his daughter, tearing the remains of the door off its hinges in an attempt to get to her. Throwing the door behind him, he reached for his daughter’s prone body but his claw stopped just short when he noticed that his child was no longer breathing. An eerie howl of pain escaped the dragon’s lips before turning his sights on the spoiled Prince that had started everything. Blueblood had finally gathered enough of his wits to cast a pain-releaving spell upon himself just in time to see the dragon charging towards him. The sights of claws and teeth seeking him out caused the spoiled Prince to do the first smart thing he’d done in a number of days, he ran.

The guards that Blueblood had stationed around the room watched as the, again, large purple dragon chased after their Princes, lusting for his blood. Abandoning their positions, they hurled themselves toward the center of the room, cutting off Spike advance and allowing the Prince to get away safely. Further enraged by Blueblood’s forces blocking his path, Spike tore into the guards, his claws gouging armor and flesh alike as he tried in vein to get through them.

“What are we going to do,” Sweetie Belle asked, worried for her father’s safety. “If we don’t do something eventually, those arrows might hit something vital.”

“We fight.” Julian told her plainly.

“Agreed.” Luna said, a gleaming set of jet-black battle armor appearing on her lithe form. “The time is nigh, these foals will learn that We are not simply a pampered Princess but a force to be reckoned with.”

“I couldn’t agree more my sister.” Celestia said as a set of pure white armor appeared upon her majestic frame.

Author's Note:

I hope this is okay, I wanted to get this out to all of you as soon as I could so all I've done is give it a read through and I hope I haven't screwed it up too much. either way, Enjoy and see if you can find the movie references in the chapter, there are a few.