• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 1,431 Views, 38 Comments

Statues: Continuation - TypewriterError



A collection of one shots to go with "Statues"

  • ...
1
 38
 1,431

The Campfire on the Hill

The fire caresses the circle of five ponies with its warmth, even though heat is not the reason it has been built. A female pegasus picks a log up in her mouth from the nearby pile and drops it into the center of the fire as its bloom of orange and red grows and occasionally opens up its tapered bud towards the smoke-struck sky. A female earth pony habitually looks around as if expecting another to join their party.

“Be patient. She’ll be here soon.” a male unicorn assures his friend.

“I just can’t wait to see what she looks like!” she pipes over the distant shriek of somepony. Everypony in the group turns in the direction of the sound but doesn’t move to help.

“It’s sad... isnt it?” an orange earth pony stallion says. Nopony replies but passes around the pot of hot cider to refill their mugs.

“I wonder... how she’ll take it...” the female earth pony muses out loud as the male unicorn magically takes the pot from her.

“She’ll be here soon.” the male unicorn repeats. The female pegasus fans the fire with her wings, helping the bloom of flames grow.

“Is that her?” the female earth pony exclaims as a figure approaches them from the smoke: a shaky unicorn stumbling blindly.

“She’s not the right color unfortunately, Gaze. Just another lost pony... trying to find a place to make sense of herself.” the male earth pony mumbles before a shiver jolts him to his knees.

“Are you all right?” the other ask at different times.

“I’m fine... I still feel... I’m fine.” he assured them as he sits his plot back down on the patch of grass he had lurched from involuntarily.

“Besides... she didn’t take notice of the fire.” the male pegasus goes on to explain. Winter Gaze looks longingly into the distance. Though they sit on a hill, they cannot see far into the valley because of the smoke. The female pegasus finally folds her wings against her back and sits on the grass for a few moments of relaxation. The earth stallion shivers slightly. Everypony stares into the fire: their beacon for the last pony.

There was room for one more: a female unicorn if the pattern was to be followed and the circle completed. Heart Forge, the male earth pony, knew what she looked like. He had seen her before or at least thought he had seen the unicorn they were waiting for.

“Thanks for bringing us the cider, Forge. I haven’t had hot cider in... who knows how long...” the male unicorn says with a smile that doesn’t reach his dark blue eyes.

“You're welcome.” the earth pony says quietly before another lapse in silence. The fire crackles. There is plenty wood left to add to it. They will keep it running until the last pony joins them.

“Let us save some for the final lady.” the male pegasus declares, nudging the pot towards Heart Forge. He nods and take it in his teeth, setting it closer to the fire to keep warm.

“I wonder if it feels cold now?” sighs Winter Gaze with a demeanor betraying her longing. Her neck straightens up as she hears the approaching shouts and sees a figure tumbling towards their fire.

“Is that...?” the male unicorn asks.

“Yes,” Forge declares after a quick look, “Lord Gale, will you help me? She might have difficulty getting here...”

The proud pegasus follows Forge towards the stumbling unicorn. Her eyes are closed. She is clawing her way forward, her hooves tearing up the dew-painted grass as she tries to move, collapsing as her legs shake with exertion whenever she attempts to stand. Her gasps for breath hint at tears in their wavering.

“Celestia! Where are you! I’m over here! Help me!” Forge canters over to dive next to her to place his foreleg across her withers.

“Majesty. It’s all right.” he offers to calm her.

“Where is she? Where’s my sword? My shield... I can't feel my shield! Celestia! Help me!” she sobs, her eyes still closed as she had a fit on the ground, blubbering. Lord Gale lies next to her and spreads his wing to shelter her. Forge brings his muzzle close to Majesty’s ear and her seizing lessens slightly.

“Majesty, you’re safe now.”

“Celestia! Help me! Where are you...?” Forge nuzzles her mane and whispers to her as a lover comforting his beloved.

“Majesty, listen to my voice. Concentrate on my voice. Celestia is safe but she can’t come to you. You’re safe here and away from danger. Just listen to my voice and concentrate on what I'm asking you. Do you feel any pain?”

“Am I wearing my shield still?” she sobbed.

“No, it’s gone. You fought bravely, Majesty.” Forge assures her, caressing her mane with his hoof. She begins to time her breathing to the motion of the hoof running through her hair. As she does her trembling is reduced to a few sporadic shivers.

“I’m injured. I have to go back. I have to find Celestia... I got hit across the face... please help me.” she begs leaning into the pressure of the earth pony's muzzle.

“Majesty, do you feel any pain?” Forge asks in the softest, gentlest whisper, “Please, trust me and open your eyes.”

Majesty twitches and the muscles of her back relax as she opens her eyes to see a group of three ponies waiting at a fire. She lifts her head slightly and Lord Gale stands up, taking his wing back to his side.

“Where am I? I opened my eyes for a second and saw lights... I ran towards them...”

“Come with me. Let’s rest here.” Forge says

“I lost my shield.”

“Don’t worry, Celestia will find it. She’ll... give it back.”

“I need to fight.”

“Majesty, come with me. You can trust me. You don’t have to fight anymore.” Majesty buries her muzzle into the grass between her hooves.

“Am I in shock? Am I injured? I thought I was hit. Why don’t I feel pain? I was so tired...”

“No, no you’re not injured. You fought well. You’re out of the smoke now... It’s safe.”

“But... they need me to keep fighting.” she says to the grass, her voice trembling.

“You fought well. Rest with us for a bit... Trust me.” Majesty’s jaw shakes as tears fall from her eyes and trail down her muzzle.

“I... I can’t move...” she sobs. Heart Forge carefully slides under her and stands to carry her on his back. She trembles suddenly once or twice but does not fall from him. He carefully kneels down again in front of the fire and she pushes and pulls herself off to sit close next to his side. He reaches out again and drapes his foreleg over her withers as she trembles again continually.

“What are you... what are you all doing here?” She asks the group of ponies.

“We were waiting for you.” Winter Gaze says with a heartwarming smile.

“You... you sound familiar...”

“I’m Winter Gaze... I was the statue for Curiosity.” she says with a bright smile.

“Who... who are are you?” The male pegasus stands erect before bowing elegantly.

“I am Lord Gale of the House of Thunder, firstborn of Lord Gust and Lady Tempest before the time of Cloudsdale and the Meriweather Republic. I was the representation of Justice in the Royal Garden. Pleased to meet you, Mistress Majesty Song, representation of Bravery.” Majesty gives an attempt to return the gracious introduction but ends up closing her mouth and giving a faint nod. The male unicorn had already poured a hot cup of cider for Majesty and set it down for her before he introduces himself.

“I’m Midnight Hymn,... son of Captain Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza... I came from Canterlot...”

“I remember you as a small colt...” Majesty declares in wonder. He nods.

“Yes, and I represented Hope.” he adds. Majesty nods nervously. The female pegasus steps forward.

“I’m Aeriel Steam. I fought during the Meriweather Revolution. I represented Diligence in the garden once it was all over.” she says before turning back to the fire and fanning it twice with her wings. Majesty nods.

“So... now that you’ve told me who you are... can you tell me something?” Majesty asks, standing shakily to her feet. Everypony looks at her warily.

“What is it?” Forge asks.

Why are none of you fighting!?” Majesty screams at them. They all look away or hang their heads. She is sobbing in her rage now as she glares at each and every pony in the group. They look to each other, their own eyes full of tears or uncertainty. Forge finally gets the courage to speak.

“Majesty... we... can’t fight anymore.” he says gently to her. She huffs angrily.

“What do you mean we can’t fight? There’s still a battle going on... Just because you’re unwilling...”

“We’re not.” Aeriel interjects, still looking away.

“Why... why can’t we fight?” she demands. Forge nuzzles her temple.

“Majesty, I think you need to sit down again...” he gently suggests.

“No!” she shouts, “No! Don’t you dare do this! Don’t you dare tell me I can’t fight! I can fight! I was put here to fight! Don’t you dare tell me...” she sobs as Forge places a gentle kiss on her cheek.

“You fought bravely... just like your statue name...” he whispers to her.

Slowly, Majesty’s legs bend to settle her back into the grass. She stares into her cup of hot cider as Forge pushes it closer to her.

“Drink this. It helps...” he assures her. She takes a few short sips through her tears, letting the steam dampen her muzzle and warm her insides.

“But... how is this possible?” she asks with a sniff.

“I don’t know...” he stops and pulls her close to himself when she shudders from within.

“What was that?”

“That’s you... your body... letting go.” A shriek rose from the battlefield and Majesty turned her head towards the sound.

“How long... does it take? To... to accept...” she stops and lets a small whimper escape into her mug of cider. Forge rubs her back in a circular motion.

“It’s different for everypony...” Midnight Hymn admits, “But... it does come... more easily when you... choose to accept.” Majesty turns her head again to the smoke she came from.

“I keep wanting to rush back in... I’ve only known... I want to fight...” she turns to Aeriel who is putting the fire out, “What are you doing?”

“We just needed the fire until everypony got here... we can go now.” she explains.

“Go?... Go... to... eternity?” Majesty asks.

“Yes!” Winter Gaze pipes with enthusiasm.

Majesty looks back at her cup and slowly finishes the last of the delicious cider, closing her eyes to enjoying it despite a scream sounding miles away. It was a luxury that had been handed out to everypony last night... as a reminder that many of them might not return to celebrate the extra joys in life.

Forge takes his leg from her back and stands up in unison with her. The other ponies watch her but are turned to go farther up the hill to the crest. Majesty controls her breathing and takes a step forward, moving each individual hoof. The others take that as their cue to begin their journey they have been waiting at the fire for.

Heart Forge, Compassion, stops when Majesty no longer moves to catch up to the others. She turns aside and stands, facing downhill towards the smoke. The battle isn’t over. She wouldn’t see what happened at the end.

She turned to look at the Stallion who nuzzles her mane. They look at each other solemnly and then back at the cloud of smoke concealing the fight in the valley.

“All those years... all that time of waiting... being ready to fight... was I... useless?” she asked.

“You would have fought even if we had all abandoned you.” he pauses a moment between thoughts, “But... because you didn’t give up on us... you didn’t fight alone. I... trust that will change everything for the future.”

“Are you coming?” Aeriel calls behind them.

“Yes, just give us a moment.” Forge calls back. He turns himself uphill again but looks back to watch Majesty turn her body but not her head. They stand there: facing uphill to eternity, with their faces turned back. A breeze blows and Majesty catches the scent of smoke. Her barrel expands as she breathes in deeply, her eyes closed again.

“I just wish I could have said good-bye to her...” she states to the air. Her eyes open and linger on the valley. Screams, more frequent, reach her, but she can’t go back.

Majesty turns her face towards the crest of the hill again and walks with Forge upwards to eternity.

The End