• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 6,365 Views, 1,624 Comments

The Multiverse in a Nutshell - Pennington Inkwell



What do you do when you accidentally break the multiverse and scatter your friends to the cosmic winds? Go on a ROAD TRIP, of course!

  • ...
17
 1,624
 6,365

PreviousChapters Next
One More Move, One Final Chance to Prove...

"What is THAT?"

"Looks like... the ink machine?"

Missy and the Doctor both stared at the huge machine. More of Isis's drones were crawling and clambering all over it, welding, adjusting and maintaining the device. The Doctor tapped on the center of his sunglasses, which gave off a high-pitched buzz.

"Scans can't get past the outer casing. Whatever it is, it's hiding what it's supposed to do... which probably means it can't be good."

Missy narrowed her eyes as she glared at the machine in question. It wasn't as big as the one Bendy had been using for his lair, but it was still large enough for them to write off trying to pick up a wrench and break it, themselves. For the moment, they had found an upper walkway to stand on and overlook the progress while they discussed their next move.

"I thought you said this was the way to Sunset and Clara!" Missy hissed.

"Yes, well, the TARDIS has never been good at following my directions, I guess she's not the best at giving them, either." The Doctor sighed as he removed his sunglasses. "I'm sure they're doing fine wherever they are."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GAH, HOW DOES PENN WORK WITH THIS?" Sunset shouted, pounding her head against the wall of references. "I can't tell up from down with the way his memory works!"

"It's a mess, but don't people say that a messy room is a sign of genius, or something?" Clara muttered with a smirk.

"There's a big difference between 'mess' and 'loosely tied together by word association!'"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Right..." Missy rolled her eyes. "So, are we gonna bust this thing up? It doesn't sound like it's running, yet."

"Well, as much as that sounds like fun, how are we going to do that with at least a hundred repair drones crawling all over it?"

Missy opened her mouth to reply, but found herself coming up short on ideas. To her surprise, another voice spoke up to fill the gap.

"Well, if you can get to the main power coupling, you could stop it from ever turning on!"

The two of them spun around, finding themselves face-to-face with the two that had snuck up on them. One was a silver-scaled dragon no bigger than a cat, giving them both an annoyed look. He was riding on the back of a large black cat, which had opened a mechanical panel in its back to point some kind of weapon in their direction. The Doctor raised his hands, clearly trying to avoid a fight. On the other hand, Missy couldn't hold herself back, leaping forward and grabbing the tiny dragon in a full-body hug.

"NOOOOOIR! You're okay!"

"Of... course... I'm... okay!" Noir gasped.

"He's not gonna be if you keep squeezing him like that."

"I'm sorry, but do you know this fellow?" The Doctor asked, starting to lower his hands until the sound of the weapon warming up prompted him to return to the surrendering position.

Missy adjusted her grip, moving Noir onto her shoulder before floating back down on top of the robotic cat. "Oh, we go WAY back! We're besties! Before Penn gave my deck to Sunset, Noir and I had some GREAT times running around Penn's dreamscape!" She poked at the small dragon. "Isn't that right, bud?"

The small dragon seemed to be doing his best to reclaim his lost dignity by straightening his posture a bit. "Yeah, sure we did, but what are you doing back HERE?"

"Dreamscape? Is that what this pocket dimension is?" The Doctor glanced around, suddenly much more interested in his surroundings. "As for what we're doing here... Well, it's a long story involving demons and time travel, do you think you could avoid shooting us long enough to tell it?" The Doctor asked, nodding towards the gun still pointed in his direction.

"Huh? Oh, right. Bastet, go ahead and stand down. If he's with Missy, he's alright." Noir hopped down from Missy's shoulder and back onto the black cat, where he gave it a pat with his tail.

"I told you not to order me around! Maybe I LIKE pointing guns at people!"

"Didn't we agree to both put aside our pride until our existences aren't under attack?"

"Fine..."

The gun retreated back into the robotic body, finally allowing the Doctor to relax. With his hands free for use again, he pointed down at the machine in question. "All those robots look like YOU, can't you shut them off?"

"Don't you think I would have done that, already?" Noir gave him an angry glare. "That ink monster's taken over Isis's CPU array and I'm locked out! The only way to stop it is to break the hard line connection to the power source!"

"Interesting... So why are you here, instead of doing that?"

"BECAUSE I CAN'T GET THERE!" Noir shouted, causing Missy to jump with surprise.

"We've been trying, but whatever took out Isis seems to be warping physical space here to keep us away. We keep winding up going in circles... which isn't that different from what usually happens around here, but usually the running in circles is more metaphorical."

"You wouldn't happen to have seen a pair of girls running through here, would you? One with big eyes and another with absurdly red hair?"

Noir shook his head. "No humans allowed in here, so that's a 'no.'"

"Right, then we've definitely wound up in the wrong place..." The Doctor sighed and scratched at his head. "We're looking for Sunset and Clara, not a French dragon and his pair of Egyptian robots!"

"I'm not French!" Noir countered. "And if ANYONE wants to get out of here alive, we can't let that ink machine start up!"

"Why-"

CHK! CHK! CHK! CHKCHKCHKCHKCHKCHKCHKCHKCHKCHKCHK!

Everyone ran to the edge of the walkway at the sound of new machinery cranking to life, and the bottom fell out of Missy's stomach at the sight of the ink machine beginning to move and churn of its own accord. The drones all assembled in a ring around it, watching intently as black sludge began to leak from the front nozzle.

"Why? Was I the ONLY one who played the game?" Noir hissed. "That machine chews up souls and turns them into cartoon characters!"

"Well, there go my plans to throw myself into the mystery machine..." The Doctor said sarcastically.

"Wait, if that thing converts souls..." Missy's face grew pale. "What happens when they set one up inside Penn's soul?"

The entire area shuddered and shook, as if being rocked by an earthquake.

"And there goes the neighborhood..."

"Okay... The way I see it, we have two options. We can either run back to the TARDIS before this place falls to pieces around us, or... we can try to get this machine turned off before it literally eats our friend from the inside out." The Doctor glanced around. "All in favor of running away?"

"Works for me."

"If we each go in a different direction, somebody's got to wind up going in the direction of the power switch, right?" Missy asked, ignoring Bastet's eagerness to jump ship.

"If Penn goes, my book never gets written, so I go kaput either way..." Noir murmured. "Count me in on trying to shut it down."

"So, divide and conquer, don't get caught..." The Doctor nodded. "And try not to get turned into soul food."

All eyes turned to Bastet. The robotic cat looked back, clearly upset with the attention.

"Fine! FINE! I'll go wandering around looking for the one thing it doesn't want us to find! It's not like I've got a soul, anyway... and this thing hurt my sister, and I don't take kindly to that."

"That's my girl..." Noir smirked and gave Bastet a scratch behind her left ear.

"Even if the odds of the four of us finding the breaker are three thousand, seven hundred and twenty to one."

"Well, I've had worse..." The Doctor shrugged.

"Alright... Then let's go!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on, come on..." Penn muttered, glancing down at his field. "Just get your turn over with... We both know you've got nothing..."

He had Bendy locked down with a single monster: Marshmacaron. Once per turn, if that monster was destroyed, he could summon two identical ones from his hand, deck, or graveyard. Their attack and defense stats were, frankly, pathetic, but they exploited a key weakness in the Malefic deck: they didn't play well with each other. Every powerful Malefic Monster came with a caveat listed in their card text: There can only be one "Malefic" monster on the field.

Which meant that Bendy could never destroy Marshmacaron as quickly as he could summon it back. All of the high-level attack points in the world couldn't do anything to clear more than one monster at once. He couldn't do much of anything to deal damage back to Bendy at the moment, but their goal was to stall for time, and this did so perfectly well. Combined with the Final Countdown spell he'd played earlier that would end this by force in 20 turns, it was possible he could manage to win this duel without dealing a single point of damage.

The problem with stalling, of course, was that it allowed both parties to build up their hands and set up strategies. Stalling was nothing but giving them both time to gather as much power as possible, and when that strategy was inevitably disrupted, both duelists would slam into each other with the full force of their decks. He had been waiting until he could draw something to destroy the field spell, like Mystical Space Typhoon. Without it, Malefic monsters couldn't stay on the field and Bendy would be defenseless.

The Ink Demon's hesitation to follow their "attack, summon Marshmacaron, repeat" pattern from the last few turns was like a warning siren blaring at maximum volume. There was a chill in the air, and something was casting a shadow of dread over his heart.

Something had changed, and not just in their duel. While his attention had been here, Bendy had just done something powerful someplace else, he knew it. But he couldn't do anything about it.

If he's about to break through, how many redundancies do I have? Not as many as I'd like, and not able to stand up to four THOUSAND attack points...

In a flash of green light, a spell card appeared beside the demon's motorcycle, bearing an unfamiliar art and name. Thankfully, the screen inside of the car showed a more easily-read version.

Malefic Territory

When this card is activated: You can activate 1 "Malefic World" from your Deck. While that card is in the Field Zone, neither player can target a card(s) in the Field Zone with card effects. The "Malefic" monster effect, "There can only be 1 face-up "Malefic" monster on the field" becomes "There can only be 1 face-up "Malefic" monster on the field with the same name". During the Battle Phase, negate the effects of face-up "Malefic" monsters on the field.

"Oh..."

"BLEEEEEEP!" A loud censor bleep came from the radio, but somehow that summed up his mood perfectly.

With that, cards began to fly past him as they were cast aside to summon their dark counterparts.

The first was a three-headed dragon made from gleaming metal.

Malefic Cyber End Dragon

ATK: 4000 DEF: 2800

Next came a dragon with gleaming white skin and blue armor fused to its body partially covered by the black armor that marked it as a Malefic monster.

Malefic Stardust Dragon

ATK: 2500 DEF: 2000

After that was a monster near and dear to his heart, now corrupted but still easily recognizable. It hurt Penn's heart to see it abused like this.

Malefic Blue-Eyes White Dragon

ATK: 3000 DEF: 2500

Counting Malefic Rainbow Dragon, he was staring at a field of four foul-spirited dragons with dizzying strength... more than thirteen thousand attack points between them.

And he was hiding behind a literal marshmallow.

The next monster to appear nearly slipped beneath his radar: a small collection of gears and wheels turning in unison. Penn's eyes widened as he recognized the card in question: Malefic Parallel Gear. On its own it wasn't a threat, but...

"He's discarding a card... he's using its effect to synchro summon from his hand!"

The collection of gears took to the air above their heads, transforming into orbs of light and a set of three glowing rings. From the sky came another copy of Malefic Blue-Eyes White Dragon, which flew into the rings. Its physical body dissolved and the lights slipped into the outline of its form before exploding into a blinding burst. When the light had faded, a new monster was descending to join their battle. It was a massive dragon, one with a body composed completely of the same black and silver metals that made up the evil armor subjugating the other spirits.

Malefic Paradox Dragon

ATK: 4000 DEF: 4000

BATTLE PHASE: BENDY read the screen.

Stardust was the first to attack, shooting a beam of black energy from its mouth that ripped through the air and completely vaporized Marshmacaron.

"I-I activate the summoning effect of my monster!" Penn stammered, still trying to get his mind around the fact that his opponent had just summoned four extremely powerful monsters in a single turn. The twin copies of his departed monster appeared in its place, each one looking at the other with worry.

Next was Blue-Eyes. In a burst of white lightning, a second Marshmacaron was completely burned away. Penn felt a chill run down his spine as he realized that Malefic Paradox Dragon was SMILING at him.

The third to attack was Malefic Rainbow Dragon. As the third Marshmacaron faded away, and with no way to use its effect a second time in the same turn, Penn's field was wide open... or so it seemed.

When the dark reflection of Cyber End Dragon launched a trio of blazing fireballs in his direction, Penn reached down and turned over one of his cards. "Activate trap! Metal Reflect Slime!" The torrent of liquid metal poured out of the trap card that manifested outside, wrapping around the car like a protective armor.

The impacts of the attack sent shockwaves through him and rocked the whole vehicle. At the speeds they were moving, even the small jostles were enough to nearly send him careening off of the road, but he managed to barely keep it driving straight. He held back a tear as he watched the now-lifeless slime slough off of the car. It had blocked the attack, but its defenses hadn't been enough to save itself.

"And then there was one..." Penn muttered, staring at the smiling visage of Malefic Paradox Dragon.

When the largest of the dragons opened its maw, Penn was already reaching for his backrow, flipping cards up and setting them back down again to confirm what he already knew he had. He took a deep breath... and braced himself.

When its attack struck, it felt like he'd run the car headfirst into a brick wall and his entire body slammed forward against the seatbelt. The windshield shattered into a thousand pieces and shards of glass flew everywhere. The dragon's breath attack didn't stop with that initial impact, however. As it continued, the initial collision was overcome by the searing, burning sensation of its beam filling the car's interior, and felt almost as if it was going to tear his face straight off of his skull. He wanted to scream, but the sound was crammed back down his throat when he tried. With a scream of tearing metal, the entire top of the car was ripped clean, leaving him exposed as it fishtailed back and forth across the street in a desperate attempt to stay on the road.

What felt like an eternity later, the attack finally came to an end.

6000 > 2000

There was NO WAY that was 4000 damage... It hurt less when I got hit by Ra... he groaned as he tried to focus on anything other than the pain his body was in.

"You triggered... my... trap card..." he groaned, reaching up with a trembling hand and turning over his card.

Damage Condenser

When you take battle damage: Discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck with ATK less than or equal to the battle damage you took, in face-up Attack Position.

The machine from the card's picture appeared above him, drawing in shining energy from the car and even directly from his body, where it collected inside of a tall glass tube. The power grew and coalesced until it had taken the shape of a familiar figure. With a crack of shattering glass, she effortlessly broke her way out of the tube and spread her wings, taking flight just above his head and keeping pace with the car.

"It's about TIME you summoned me!"

"Think... you can take 'em?"

"By myself? No. But that's why we work together, right?"

"Feels like I've been taking the lion's share, lately..." Penn coughed softly as what was left of the display changed.

TURN TWELVE: PENN

"Well, then allow me to pull my weight for a bit, partner!" She craned her neck from side to side before stretching upwards. "I can't blame this one on Shimmer, so I guess there's no reason for me to protest to dealing with the consequences." She looked down at him, giving a wink with one of her eyes. "I'll be counting on your support from the backrow, this COULD get dangerous..."

"Then let's... get... dangerous..." Penn coughed as the car began to accelerate again, pushing them to catch up with the ink demon. He reached to his deck, drawing a card off of the top. "It's OUR turn!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was SO wrong.

Noir's workshop was supposed to be a fantastical place, literally as big as the imagination and just as active, but now... it was turning into a nightmare.

Deep in her gut, Missy couldn't shake the feeling of a pulse all around her, a heartbeat she couldn't hear, but she could feel. Whatever the ink demon was doing, it was in the air, making it hot and heavy and hard to breathe. Out of all the places she could have ended up, she'd managed to find her way into the drone assembly line, where Isis's numerous bodies were constructed. On either side of the walkway, mechanical arms were jerkily moving about with shuddering motions, trying to assemble miniscule pieces while they were all dripping with black slime.

Searching alone like this made her nervous, but splitting up was the only chance they had that one of them would be able to stop the ink machine. She pursed her lips, trying to force out a whistle. You can't be scared AND whistle a happy tune, right? When her attempts failed, she resorted to quietly singing to herself.

"What's this? What's this? There's color everywhere..." she didn't dare to raise her voice much louder than a whisper. "What's this? There's white things in the air..."

Clang!

"YIPES!"

There was a clatter just behind her that made her jump up and instantly take to the air, flying out of any possible monster's reach. Once the painful pounding of her heart had calmed enough, she slowly turned around in the direction of the noise that had frightened her so badly.

One of the half-finished drones had fallen off of the line, where it was twitching and sparking in a pool of ink that had seeped out of the cracks in its body.

"O-Oh... just one of the machines..." Missy forced herself to take a deep breath to try and slow her racing pulse as she patted her hand over her heart. "No need to get so worked up... just one of the machines..." With her fears proved to be a false alarm and her entire body still pumped full of adrenaline, she floated back closer to the ground and giggled to herself. "I thought I was supposed to be doing the scaring?"

She gave the incomplete drone a small kick to make sure it wasn't going to get up, and with her fears now gone, she smiled and turned back to continue her search.

"There's children throwing snowballs instead of throwing heads! They're busy building toys and absolutely no one's..."

Where there had once been a completely clear walkway, a huge globule of ink had risen up, slightly taller than she was.

"... dead." Missy whispered, taking a cautious step backwards as the ink solidified and its shape grew more defined. As she started to recognize what was in front of her, her heart started to pound with terror again, this time twice as fast. They may have been remade in black-and-white here, but that wasn't enough to stop her from knowing who she was looking at.

She would never forget those merciless eyes or the gleam of the knife in their hand.

Her entire body was frozen. She wanted to run, to fly, to do SOMETHING to get away, but her limbs refused to respond. Her entire body had tensed and braced itself and there was nothing she could do in the face of the all-encompassing fear.

"Y-You're not real! You're not really here!"

Frisk took a moment to examine their knife more closely before locking their eyes on her. They raised one eyebrow, as if challenging her statement, before beginning to walk forward.

"You're not real! You're not- WOAH!" Missy tried to move backwards, only for her foot to catch on the drone and send her tumbling to the floor.

Before she could get her bearings again, Frisk was already standing over her with their knife at the ready. They reached out and grabbed at her wing with their other hand, roughly yanking on it until it was completely spread open. They raised the knife over their head, ready to make a chopping motion.

"N-no! NO!" Missy's body was finally listening to her again, but her struggles did nothing to loosen Frisk's vicelike grip. "PLEASE!"

"Hi-YAH!"

Missy's vision blacked out for a moment, and then Frisk was gone. Missy sat up, her eyes widening as she saw a figure standing over Frisk's body with one foot punched completely through their head. Her rescuer turned to face her, shooting her a wide grin and a quick salute.

"I'll admit, that was a little selfish of me, but I've just got this darn sense of self-preservation I can't ignore!"

"MISPRINT?"

Missy's double grinned and put her hands on her hips. "The one and only!"

Missy struggled to her feet before rushing up and grabbing her double in a tight hug. "I- I thought your world collapsed! Isis said it imploded!"

"Pfft, a little thing like a dimensional implosion can't stop ME!" Misprint chuckled and pointed her thumb over her shoulder. "Saw the Ink Demon hitching a ride out on your buddy, so I hitched a ride on the Ink Demon before everything went kablooey!"

"Well, I'm sure glad to see you..." Missy sighed with relief. "I don't know what I would have done, I was just... too scared to think straight!"

"Pfft!" Misprint waved away her worries. "We both know the only straight one is Penn!"

Both of them giggled to themselves for a moment while Frisk's body melted back into a puddle of ink underneath them.

"So, listen..." Missy forced the last of her giggles back down in favor of getting serious. "Bendy's built a new ink machine in here... INSIDE Penn's head! We're trying to turn off the power, but he keeps messing with us!"

Misprint raised an eyebrow. "Oh, so you want my help to find a giant light switch?"

Missy nodded. "I mean, it's not like the demon's going to see BOTH of us coming, right?"

Misprint smirked. "Alright, that sounds like fun! I wanna see the look on Bendy's face when he realizes he forgot to pay the power bill!"

The two of them shook hands, and there was an undeniable spark of mischief between the two of them.

"It's time for a Ghostrick double team!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Sunset, do you think we should maybe check on how Penn's doing?"

"I'm kind of busy here, Clara... Maybe you could?"

Clara nodded, stepping to the far wall and pushing her head beyond the boundaries of the "War Room." Her eyes widened as he found herself being thrust headfirst into a now-roofless and windshield-less car. Penn was shaking his fist at two dragons rampaging across the sky while half of the sky was covered by the massive wings of a third dragon, this one beige in color with black spikes protruding from its body.

"JUST STAY DEAD! STARDUST DRAGON, YOU MOTHER-"

Clara quickly pulled her head back inside.

"Well?"

"I think we'd better hurry up."

Author's Note:

A reminder: even just pledging one dollar on Patreon gives you access to post-writing vlogs where I talk about the newest chapters!

PreviousChapters Next