• Published 24th May 2018
  • 1,598 Views, 174 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sunny Flare - CapNTilfy



Sunny Flare lives a perfect life...so why is she struggling? Book Two of The Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
2
 174
 1,598

Towards a Bright Future

So. Sunny thought. Today's the day. She changed into her uniform and went downstairs.

"Good morning!" she said to her parents as she entered the kitchen.

"Good morning!" said her mother. "How are you feeling?"

Sunny made a sputtering noise. "About as good as I can feel at the moment, I suppose."

"Are you excited for the Friendship Games?" asked her father.

"A little, yes. Not as much as I thought I'd be. I still have my feelings from the funeral hanging over my head." said Sunny, sighing.

"At the very least, the Friendship Games could prove a useful distraction." said her mother.

"I guess that's true." Sunny admitted. "Lord knows I could use one or seventy after the week I've had." she said, rolling her eyes.

Glaze smiled. "The road ahead is going to be rough, that's a certainty. But remember what we told you last night."

Sunny smiled. "I do remember. My future will always be bright, no matter what I do."

"Exactly." said Stellar, smiling widely.

"Well, I had best get moving. I don't want to miss the bus now, do I?" said Sunny.

"Indeed not." Glaze said with a grin.

Sunny embraced both of her parents in a hug. "I love you two."

Her parents returned the hug. "We love you too, Sunny Flare."

The hug broke, and Sunny left the house for the bus stop.

---------------------------------------------

Sunny had arrived at Crystal Prep and took a deep breath of fresh air, then sighed. "Well...here we go." She walked towards the entrance, then stopped short when she heard an ear-splitting scream come from one of the bushes. She stood still, a chill running down her spine. What on earth?! She saw Radiant Hope run into the bush. Sunny shrugged, then walked into the school.

All of her fellow students were chattering about the Friendship Games. Apparently news of whatever happened in those bushes hadn't reached the inside, but that was fine by Sunny. She wanted nothing to do with whatever sordid business was being conducted.

Sunny sighed deeply. I know I'm trying to get over Rutherford, but I still can't stop thinking about him. What would be different right now if the car crash didn't happen? Would I still be happy? she shook her head. No. Enough of that self-talk. she admonished herself.

She scanned the hallways in an effort to distract herself. All throughout the halls were banners of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts logo, congratulating the team for winning the Friendship Games. Crystal Prep may always win, but this seems a bit premature. Sunny rolled her eyes, then moved on.

She had passed by several of her teammates in the halls.

"Trender." Sunny greeted.

"Sunny Flare." Trender greeted.

"Sugarcoat." Sunny greeted.

"Have you masturbated yet?" Sugarcoat asked.

Damn that woman! Sunny thought as she gave Sugarcoat a death glare she knew would go unnoticed. She sighed again, then moved on.

The halls were still filled with the chattering of students and out of the corner of her eye she noticed the one student that asked her out last week. She frowned a little, actually feeling sorry for the poor guy. She walked over to him.

He noticed her and slowly turned away.

"Hey." Sunny said.

"What do you want?" he said, bitterness in his voice. "Do you just want to remind me that I'm cute for thinking I had a chance with you? Or did you want to tell me that you're still taken?!"

Sunny winced out of guilt and emotional pain from the student's outburst, especially from his last sentence. She took a deep breath and sighed. "No." she said. "I came to say that I'm sorry."

The student blinked in surprise before he narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "How do I know you're not trying to trick me right now?"

Sunny sighed again. "You have every right to believe that, and I completely understand your anger."

The student blinked again. "You...you do?"

"Yes. The past week has been an absolute hell for me, and I'm not sure I want to talk about it. But at the very least, I wanted to apologize to you." Sunny said, in a most sincere tone.

"I...I don't know what to say." The student said, visibly shocked.

Sunny smiled. "Why not tell me your name?" she asked.

"My name is Sunburst." said the student.

"Sunburst." Sunny said. "That's a nice name."

Sunburst blushed. "Thank you."

Sunny smiled. "I don't know if you still have feelings for me or not, but either way I wouldn't mind being friends with you. It feels like the least I can do to make up for turning you down the way I did."

Sunburst smiled back. "You know what? I'd like that."

"Great!" Sunny said. "Well, I need to be off. I'll see you after the Friendship Games!"

Sunburst waved goodbye to Sunny, then went about his business.

---------------------------------------------

Sunny went back outside and took a deep breath of fresh air, savoring the noises in the background. The birds chirping, the air rustling the foliage around her, the airhorns...

Sunny jumped as realization hit her. Airhorns?! The noise came closer as someone in a gorilla costume rushed towards her, pelting her with...Sardines?! What the hell is going on?! she thought as she ran like a madwoman, trying to escape the clutches of some demented person that came out of nowhere.

"Great, now I'm going to smell like fish for the rest of the day!" Sunny said. Having had enough, she turned around and looked at her gorilla-costumed assailant. "What is wrong with you?!" Sunny yelled.

The person in the gorilla costume shrugged, did a dance for a few seconds, then plodded off with onlookers recording and laughing heartily.

Sunny put her head in her hands, holding back tears. Calm down, Sunny Flare! she thought to herself. You've been through enough already, don't give that weirdo the satisfaction of seeing you break down! She quickly ran inside, using what little time she had before leaving to take a quick shower in the locker room and putting on a spare uniform she brought with her.

---------------------------------------------

The time was now. Sunny stood in line where Sour Sweet was waiting while Dean Cadence was looking over a checklist. The two simply stared at each other, neither one willing to start up a conversation. The silence continued as more students joined the line until it both were broken.

"Dean Cadence?" said Twilight, cutting in line. "I'm not really sure where to go."

Cadence walked away, holding up a finger. "On second, Twilight." she said.

"You could try the end of the line." said Sour, causing Sunny to smile slightly despite herself.

Twilight turned around and adjusted her glasses. "What did you say?"

"Just that someone as smart as you should definitely go first." said Sour.

Twilight raised her arms defensively. "I...I didn't mean to. I was just asking."

Dean Cadence returned. "This is the right bus, Twilight. Go ahead."

"But...I didn't mean to cut in front." Twilight said.

Sour folded her arms. "Well it's too late now!" she said.

As Sunny and the remaining students boarded the bus, she smiled. My parents are right. My future will always be bright. No matter what happens.

End of Book Two of The Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

Author's Note:

I'd like to think of this story as a learning experience for me. I'm pretty sure I went overboard with all of the crying in this story, so the next time I write a sad story I'll try to curb that.

That aside, I'm proud of this story (like all the others) and I enjoyed writing it (like all the others)!

One last note: the Sunburst thing wasn't really meant to be a surprise. I wanted to be sure readers knew who he was based on his description when he made a cameo early on. I just decided at the last minute to have Sunny interact with him in a genuine effort to turning over a new leaf.

Comments ( 29 )

"Sugarcoat." Sunny greeted.

"Have you masturbated yet?" Sugarcoat asked.

Sugarcoat, you seriously need to stop projecting your sexual frustrations onto others. Either that or you just like to watch.

And thus end the second story in the chronicles of Crystal Prep before The Friendship Games. I look forward to the next.

8970654
It won't be too long, don't worry. =)

CSC
CSC #3 · Jun 7th, 2018 · · ·

At least Sunny realized her mistake by turning down the guy so rudely. Also, that part with Indigo Zap still cracks me up! And at least she's trying to recover. And despite everything I've written about her, I do hope things go better for her.

8970970
Sunny did say that things were never better at CPA since Principal Cadence took over in Dance Magic, so that's kind of a foregone conclusion. =) But as to how it all happened? Don't worry. I'll get to that. :raritywink:

CSC

8970993
Good. Also, what caused Sunny's miscarriage btw?

8970998
I hadn't actually thought of a reason. I don't know enough about that to give a decent one. I just thought it would be dramatic enough to make an impact.

Sunny had arrived at Crystal Prep and took a deep breath of fresh air, then sighed. "Well...here we go." She walked towards the entrance, then stopped short when she heard an ear-splitting scream come from one of the bushes. She stood still, a chill running down her spine. What on earth?! She saw Radiant Hope run into the bush. Sunny shrugged, then walked into the school.

WTF PLEASE TELL ME WE LEARN ON THIS IN ONE OF THE OTHER STORIES

8971040
Last chapter of Lemon Zest's story.

CSC

8971038
Oh. I was just curious because that kept me going throughout the story.

8971056
I didn't come up with that until I had Lemon drop Rutherford's name when Sunny confronted her.

8971071
I hope you're not disappointed.

CSC

8971081
Not TOO disappointed, just a little bit.

8971087
Ah well. It happens.

CSC

8971102
Just hope it doesn't happen often.

Sugarcoat's favorite running gag.

What a ride this one was! Definitely my favorite so far. It was lacking in a few things, the miscarriage wasn't really explained, and she never actually saw Rutherford in his casket one last time. That would have been a great scene (Maybe if you ever consider going back and adding it in)
You asked about overdoing it with the tears and crying, with this story it's understandable considering everything that happened. The Lemon Zest story though, the tears were way overdone.
One final thought. You touched on Sunny reconciling with Sunburst, would you consider a story of them getting to know each other? There's no reason why she can't move on to someone else. All be it a very slow process of course.

9196012
I can't tell you what happens with Sunny Flare, silly! Even dropping a hint might give something away. :pinkiehappy:

9196020
Then I'm hoping you have another linked series about what happens after Friendship Games. I'd read it in a heartbeat!

9196098
You can see the whole list of my stories here. "Altered Perceptions" will take place directly after the Friendship Games (The event itself, not the movie), and that's all you're gonna get outta me. =P

...Is it really that hard for these people to assume Cinch might actually have a heart? Also, why didn't you make her Sunny Flare's mother?

10499786
I simply chose not to.

Debo decir que está historia fue buena en cuanto a ser trágica, cada capítulo demostraba bien esa infernal semana, claro que era pronto para ponerse bien así que todo en orden. Yo sé que está historia incluso podría ser más emocional que la primera, pero aquí lo veo más comprensible, de hecho Lemon Zest es algo melodramática comparada con Sunny Flare XD, yo ahora que lo pienso puedo entender que estás historias tratan de chicas bastante jóvenes cuyas mentes apenas conocen más a fondo el mundo y por eso hasta la ciencia apunta a tener esa sensibilidad, pero Sunny Flare tiene motivos de sobra para llorar, primero se le muere el novio, que era la única persona que quería además de su familia, después entra en depresión, eso creo, e intenta suicidarse, luego tiene sueños en que intenta darse consuelo a si misma creando un subconsciente igual a el (tío, eso fue un golpe duro hasta para mí, en serio fue un concepto muy triste), luego intenta seguir con su vida (lo cual es bastante maduro de su parte), luego misteriosamente la directora Cinch sabe de sus asuntos personales que no le hacen la más mínima gracia, incluso se sorprende del cambio de Lemon con el chantaje, que sepan cosas tan horribles de tu pasado cuando aún te duele y te avergüenza contarlo es realmente un camino rápido a la locura, además desde antes del primer capítulo tiene antecedentes de un trágico aborto que la dañó aún más física y psicológicamente. También note que su personalidad, deseos y pensamientos son marcados igualmente, se siente cómoda o al menos conformada con el estilo de vida de Crystal Prep, pero su vida no es fácil, empezamos bien con la variedad en este caso, un defecto que tiene (que no es malo para la historia) es que tener una vida con mala suerte le hace creer tener derecho a joder a sus otros compañeros, yo aún sabiendo todo lo que le pasó seguía pensando que es una perra, en plan tu vida es tu vida y lo que pase en la escuela se queda en la escuela, así que el daño que hacía era gratuito desde mi punto de vista y si le recriminaban lanzaba su pasado de la nada, yo a este tipo de personas no las perdono tan fácilmente, pero como dije fue genial y si querías que fuese una perra pues si lo fue, ella misma se dice eso xd. El funeral estuvo bien, excepto porque no hablo mucho de Rutherford, me parece que habían más cosas entre ellos a parte de lo que vimos aquí, o solo será cosa mía... Pero el es un puto héroe. Continuando con la comida después del funeral, las palabras acerca del futuro brillante fueron tan buenas, me identifique con eso, sus padres fueron los mejores, si apoyo en tiempos tan duros y su comprensión fue algo tan hermoso. Ahora hablando del final, me gustó que Sunny Flare mantuviera la cabeza fría y fuera a los juegos, escucha un gran grito y es “nada importante”, recibe una broma pesada y aún así mantiene el control, se cambia y va al autobús dónde pasa una escena de la película, grande Sunny Flare, eso sí es superación, además antes de eso se disculpa con Sunburts por tratarlo mal y le ofrece su amistad, ahora que lo pienso eso es dar un gran paso adelante, hablo de buscar amistad (y eso que no mencioné que aceptó también los medicamentos) ¿Pero se puede crecer tanto en tan solo una semana? Sin ofender, además es un puto personaje de ficción, pero hasta en la vida real he visto casos en los que un ser querido muere pero es lo mejor que le pudo pasar a otra persona, exactamente como a Sunny Flare. Disculpa que hable por mi mismo otra vez, pero también me identifique cuando hablo con Sunburts, osea que una persona no nos interese no significa que lo tratemos mal, lo mínimo que se puede hacer después es disculparse, solo que yo tardé años en aprender eso je, je, je... Por último debo resaltar la buena conexión que tiene con la otra historia y el punto de vista tan bueno de esta, y logré encontrarte a ti autor, dentro de esta historia de algún modo como antes, precisamente con algunos diálogos de Sunny cuestionándose si está bien llorar tanto, personalmente si lo estuvo mayormente.

10614003
¡Dios mío, ese es un comentario largo! :rainbowlaugh:

Yo sé que está historia incluso podría ser más emocional que la primera, pero aquí lo veo más comprensible, de hecho Lemon Zest es algo melodramática comparada con Sunny Flare XD

Quizás solo un poquito. :derpytongue2:

pero como dije fue genial y si querías que fuese una perra pues si lo fue, ella misma se dice eso xd.

XD

Pero el es un puto héroe.

Rutherford realmente amaba a Sunny Flare con todo su corazón. :heart:

¿Pero se puede crecer tanto en tan solo una semana? Sin ofender, además es un puto personaje de ficción, pero hasta en la vida real he visto casos en los que un ser querido muere pero es lo mejor que le pudo pasar a otra persona, exactamente como a Sunny Flare.

A veces, las tragedias pueden ayudar a una persona a crecer.

Disculpa que hable por mi mismo otra vez, pero también me identifique cuando hablo con Sunburts, osea que una persona no nos interese no significa que lo tratemos mal, lo mínimo que se puede hacer después es disculparse, solo que yo tardé años en aprender eso je, je, je...

No tienes que disculparte cuando hablas por ti mismo. ¡Es bueno crecer como persona!

¡Me alegra que lo hayas disfrutado!

Sunny smiled. "I do remember. My future will always be bright, no matter what I do."

Mhm. :twilightsmile:

She scanned the hallways in an effort to distract herself. All throughout the halls were banners of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts logo, congratulating the team for winning the Friendship Games. Crystal Prep may always win, but this seems a bit premature. Sunny rolled her eyes, then moved on.

Agreed. :ajbemused:

"My name is Sunburst." said the student.

:pinkiegasp:

https://m.

Sunny jumped as realization hit her. Airhorns?! The noise came closer as someone in a gorilla costume rushed towards her, pelting her with... Sardines?! What the hell is going on?! she thought as she ran like a madwoman, trying to escape the clutches of some demented person that came out of nowhere.

That was... unexpected! :twilightoops:

As Sunny and the remaining students boarded the bus, she smiled. My parents are right. My future will always be bright. No matter what happens.

Mhm. :pinkiehappy:

While this story ended up being quite sad and overall depressing, I still enjoyed it. Losing a loved one is something I know will always hurt as we cared so much for the person we lost. But in the end, they had a good life and made many memories with them when the time was still there. :scootangel:

11513328
gotcha, I don't know over have ever learned french so this is all new to me.

Login or register to comment