• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 7,031 Views, 117 Comments

Celestia's Trust - Kitsunin



Tensions rise between the princesses as Celestia does not allow Luna to resume co-ruling Equestria

  • ...
22
 117
 7,031

The Meeting

The group sat outside of the cafe, each eating their preferred meal. It took a while for them to order something for Luna, who was unaccustomed to these sorts of foods and insisted on having the exact contents of each explained to her.

“So Luna, would you care to explain why Celestia might be so upset with you?” Rarity asked in a casual manner, “It sounds as though she was mad simply because you were in Ponyville; is there any reason that might be?”

Luna thought for a moment, “Well, we did have an argument beforehand, and I suppose it would be within reason that she would be concerned, even worried, about what I might be doing, going off on my own afterwords.” She reasoned. “But...she has often told me to come here and make friends, something I haven't done because I believed myself too mature for such a thing; I wanted to resume my position at the throne, ruling beside her. I suppose I could have listened to her a bit more than I did.” Luna looked disapprovingly at the pile of vegetables that had spilled from the back of her sandwich. “In any case, I feel that what she said was entirely out of character for her.”

“From what Applejack told me, it most certainly sounds out of character!” Rarity exclaimed, “I would really be quite surprised if she did not come to her senses soon.”

“Um, I think we should find some cover...” Fluttershy suggested; she had been anxiously watching the sky for a bit, but didn't mention anything because she didn't want to interrupt anypony. There were dark clouds covering the sky around Ponyville, and quickly moving in towards them. They were coming in at a much faster rate than usual; quickly enough that most of the ponies who were out and about had stopped what they had been doing just to watch the clouds race through the sky.

The clouds slid over their heads, making everything darker, and rain started pouring down. Everyone looked about as confused as they were irritated about the rain. “Now why in the world would it be rainin' on the day before the Summer Solstice?” Applejack wondered aloud.

The rain stopped falling around their table as quickly as it had began, though they still heard and saw the pittering of it around them. A pegasus descended from the clouds: “Now now, no need to thank me,” it said, taking a seat at their table. “although, would you happen to have any extra food? Today's a busy day, and I haven't had the chance to eat anything!”

“Rainbow Dash, is it?” Luna checked. “You may have what I have not yet eaten.” She pushed her plate over to rainbow dash, glad for an excuse not to finish eating such unfamiliar food.

Rainbow looked bemusedly at the mess Luna had somehow made of her sandwich. “Things are pretty crazy right now, we've got to have it rain right up until nightfall, and clearing stuff up before the Festival means we're going to have to work all night. To make things worse: apparently Celestia hasn't even returned to Canterlot yet, and all the higher-ups are getting worried.”

“So Rainbow, why exactly does it need to rain now? It's right before the festival and it's been so hot lately! It seems so...” Rarity paused, “...unfitting.”

“Don't ask me! Supposedly we decide the weather based on complicated mathematics and magics.” Rainbow Dash made a skeptical face, “If you ask me though, it just seems arbitrary.”

“It's more important than you might think that the weather is as it should be.” Luna said ominously. Everyone looked at her curiously, though they didn't ask anything more; suspecting it wasn't something she could reveal. “Ah, because the rain is necessary for vegetation to grow, as well as for erosion, of course,” she added, realizing that she had said something she ought not to have.

“Well, sure the weather's awful strange and all, but what's that about Celestia not returnin' to Canterlot?” Applejack wondered why everypony was so concerned with the weather; it hadn't rained in a while, so she was glad the plants wouldn't be drying out. “Surely she ain't been in Ponyville this whole time?” She suggested.

“Well I mean, where else could she be?” Rainbow asked. “If she had gone to any of the other cities then someone would have probably reported seeing her, but Ponyville doesn't have many officials, so she would be more likely to go unnoticed.”

“This is quite interesting.” Luna noticed everypony had finished their food by this point. “Do you suppose this might be related to the way in which she threatened me?”

“Don't worry 'bout it, Luna.” Applejack tried to comfort her. “Maybe she's like, watchin' you or somethin', so she'll see you ain't up to anythin', and she'll realize she was just bein' stupid.”

Luna didn't seem any less down. “But I do not wish for her to merely not punish me, I am becoming tired of her failing to take us seriously. I am practically happy that she is not simply ignoring me now.”

“Well, darling, I suspect she simply believes you need a break after all that time banished. You know, so that you can become used to the changes that have occurred during a thousand years.” Rarity guessed. “That, and because you're young, er, relatively so, I'm sure she feels you need some time to grow up properly, now that she's capable of running Equestria by herself.”

Luna still looked doubtful. “I suppose I could see that, but I was capable of co-ruling before I was banished, so how might I prove that I am currently equally capable?”

“W-well, maybe you don't need to,” Fluttershy suggested, “Perhaps you should just do what she wants and just enjoy yourself for a while, wouldn't waiting just a few more years be easy for you? I mean, considering you can live for thousands of years.”

“It would not be unbearable, however it would be quite humiliating to simply back down.” Luna was once again feeling irritated by the ponies she was forced to be in the company of, she did not wish to hear ponies taking her sister's side. “I am equal to my sister, and I do not wish to spend my time simply waiting.”

Applejack sensed Luna's mood was going further south. “Well sure, hun, but you need to understand her thinkin' too.” She said, trying to reason. “Then maybe you can think of a better way to convince her you should be involved.”

“Perhaps. Regardless, something is wrong with her at present.” Luna brought back the larger issue of the encounter they had the other day.

Applejack thought back to then. “No doubt something was wrong with her, but if I was you I wouldn't worry about it. Come tomorrow everythin'll be right as rain. If it ain’t, we'll deal with it when it happens; no sense worryin' about a problem that may or may not actually be, ya hear?”

“Very well, I shall not make an action until tomorrow comes.” Luna confirmed, feeling anxious with the thought. Celestia was not the sort to cause such an uproar and fail to have a reason.

Rarity stood, “Sorry to leave so suddenly, but I really must finish preparing the décor. I suspect some of what has been set up has been ruined by this downpour.” Rarity said, departing.

“Oh, are we separating?” Fluttershy asked.

“Well gosh, I hadn't thought of it, what with Twilight bein' so upset, but I really have gotta go check on the food preparations back at the farm!” Applejack said, rushing off. “I hope they didn't have any trouble while I was sleepin' over at Twi's.” She muttered as she left.

“It goes without saying that I'm too busy to stay any longer!” Rainbow said, before taking off back into the sky. The hole in the clouds sealed, and rain began pouring down upon the table once again.

Fluttershy looked at Luna. “Well, I suppose I had better go too, and make sure the birds are still all together...” She began slowly walking off. “I hope everything turns out alright for you, Luna.” She called back.

Luna was a bit surprised, she had been expecting she might have been stuck with company all day, and finally being left alone didn't leave her as pleased as she had hoped. She wasn't sure quite where to go at this point; it seemed best for her to next meet her sister the following morning, at the celebration, so she couldn't leave Ponyville. In the meantime, she decided to head back to the library. She knew Twilight would not appreciate it, but Luna had found herself unable to think of anything to do with the time remaining in the day, so just reading sounded fine.