• Published 3rd Apr 2018
  • 1,297 Views, 9 Comments

A Displaced Gunner - Shadow Hero



[Displacement] I have heard about so many People go missing at cons, and now it my turn as the man with the machine gun himself Laguna

  • ...
13
 9
 1,297

The Man with the Machine Gun

-The Man with the Machine Gun-

A few months back- Canterlot castle

Laguna had just arrived and many of the present soldiers had been giving him dirty looks even though the Princess herself assured them he was not at all a threat… well, all except for one.

Speed was an orange coated stallion with a short messy dark blue mane and tail and a rather infectious smile. “Sooo, feel like coming over for dinner? I bet a certain little filly would love to see her godfather.”

Speed teased while prodding the man’s arm as they walked the halls of the castle.

“Depends, what's on the menu?” Laguna responded in kind, punching Speed in the shoulder.

“Alright alright, how ‘bout I make your favorite then? Chili.” Speed said through his chuckling.

“Come on man, you know you don’t have to. Seeing Scoots is all I need... But if that's-”

Laguna did not get to finish his sentence however as the two were interrupted by one Twilight Sparkle. A unicorn mare with a purple coat, moderately sapphire blue mane with lavender highlights, and black rimmed glasses had popped into existence before the dumbstruck pair. “The Princess would like a word with Laguna.” She said as she raised her glasses higher upon her snout.

Laguna looked back at Speed, looking for some way out of his predicament. “Hey, you can’t leave the Princess waiting.” Speed said punching Laguna on the shoulder.

With a defeated slumping sigh, Laguna raised his hand in a point. “Lead the way.” With a nod, Twilight lead him to the consulate room where it was Celestia had waited for him.

With a welcoming smile, Celestia ushered the man inside. “It's good to see you in good health, things are well I hope?” She asked with a smile.

Laguna could only sigh as he took a seat close to the princess. “Alright, what's the reason you called for me Princess?”

Celestia’s smile began to waver, her face now devoid of expression. “It seems the Crystal Empire has returned and with it, an increased aggression from fiends.” As Celestia finished, a guard with a white coat walked in.

“I’m sorry to interrupt but it seems a group of soldiers are attacking some of the villages to the north.” The guard said taking off his helmet revealing his blue mane.

“It seems we are too late to reclaim the Empire. Get ready, it’s time to go to war.” Celestia said looking down at the map of Equestria. “I was hoping to drop you here...” she mumbled.


The Frozen North- a few months later

War...the great orchestra of doom and destruction. A great force of Ponies and Griffon danced and weaved upon the battlefield, swords sung with the wind, axes swam upon rivers of blood and tears...and a single warrior stood out like a sore thumb. Charging with the speed of an angry minotaur, Laguna slammed bodily into a crystal pony.

Said pony had been much too close to ending the life of one “Speed”, once safe, Laguna leveled his mighty weapon of automatic majesty into an oncoming group. With grace and precision, leaden bullets pierced both air and armor.

“You okay Speed?” Laguna, could only offer a hand as he kept his eyes focused and alert.

“Pretty good, but I totally could have taken ‘im.” Speed replied with gusto.

“Pft, sure pal...”Not but two seconds passed as several Ice Bombs formed before them.

“I got this.” The stallion said as he lifted his right hoof and shot a small fireball at one Bomb, the monster melting away.

“Man you ponies learn fast.” Laguna himself had cast Fira into the group. ‘Wasn’t all that long ago that I learned how to use this ability.’

Draw...a simple word that carried much weight. The ability to siphon magic from the world around you...as well as the enemies before you.

“Hey, war means having to go above and beyond.” Speed said dispatching the last Bomb with Fira.

Laguna looked around to see that most of the Crystal ponies were nowhere to be found. ‘Strange.’ he thought to himself.

Unbeknownst to all one King Sombra, the opposing force in this skirmish, had been biding his time so as to charge a sufficient amount of magic. After a drawing all the necessary magic from his own troops, a single beam of light had pierced the skies. “Heheheh...I summon thee…”
Laguna and Speed began to walk, managing to bump into Rainbow dash, a blue rainbow maned pegasus mare. Her left wing had been replaced by a metal prosthetic and a wicked scar ran along her left eye. “Looks like they’re retreating for some reason, cowards.” She scoffed as caught sight of the duo.

Of course before any one could say anything in response, a single piercing light stole the attention of all those present. From a ring of parted clouds in the sky did descend, one giant human like woman with snow white skin and ice blue markings.

‘Okay that's not good…’ Laguna thought as he looked upon the frozen maiden.

The being opened her eyes as freezing torrential winds swept along the landscape. It's ice began erecting massive pillars, those lucky enough to escape had been introduced personally to the outer shell of hardened towers...those not as lucky shared an intimate relation with the insides of said pillars.

“We should run.” Speed stated, calmly staring at the carnage as his compatriots frantically began to flee for their lives.

Nodding in confirmation, the trio of Dash, Speed, and Laguna began their own hurried flight. In Dash and Speed’s case, this was quite literal. For Laguna…

“Hey! Wait up! I can't run that fast!” This was not the case.

“I got you!” Speed exclaimed as he turned around and snatched Laguna up. Of course the added weight had now begun to hinder Speed.

With saddened eyes, Speed tossed Laguna as a pillar of ice began to form around his barrel.

“NO!” Laguna’s cries fell to deaf ears, Rainbow having swapped in to ensure their continued safety. She landed within a mystically sealed tent and breathed.

“What are you doing!? We have to go back!!” Laguna struggled as Rainbow kept him down.

“Look...it's too late for him, and I had to get you out of there before we lost another.” Rainbow retorted.

“What seems to be the matter?” Princess Celestia said as she walked in on the struggle.

“It seems that Sombra got his hooves on a Guardian Force.” Rainbow said with a salute.

“There is no need for formality… So what I saw then is true. We must think of a plan to counteract him, for with its help Equestria is doomed.” Celestia said as she began to pace. ‘Maybe we can find are own, but where.’ she thought.

“Princess, there were many injured during that last confrontation.” A pink earth pony mare with a darkened pink mane said as she walked in with a gray earth pony.

“Is there anyway to heal those frozen?” Laguna asked with dwindling hope.

“Far as Red Heart knows? No.” The Gray earth pony said in a monotone voice. Laguna’s hopes died, sighing as his shoulders fell into a slump.

“I have an idea, Pinkamena.” The princess turned to the pink mare. “Send a letter to my royal adviser, Twilight and ask her to search for any info on the Guardian Force.”

“On it.” Pinkamena give a salute and walked off.

The gray mare, one “Maud” turned to Laguna. “We did retrieve most of the frozen ponies, Speed is in the infirmary.” she said.

WIth a nod he turned to Celestia, eyes filled with sad resolve. “Oh! Yes well...you are dismissed, Captain.”


Laguna ran about as fast as he could, the sight before him raher heartbreaking. Various soldiers had been stuck in various states of frost, everything from frozen limbs to frozen torsos.

The further in he went, the worse off the damage was, until he found himself before a cloth flap. Clearing his throat to announce his presence, he waited until he heard shuffling from the other side.
Redheart, a white earth pony mare opened the flap. “You can’t- Oh, it’s you. Come in come in.” she said moving to the side.

With a heavy step, Laguna found himself at the side of his best friend and comrade. “This is my fault...if I was faster then maybe...” He knelt closer to Speed, his heart falling with him.

“It was not your fault he was just following his heart.” The monotone voice of Maud called out from behind Laguna.

“What do you mean?” He asked the mare without even looking up.

“That's what friends do. They put themselves before others, foregoing any consequence.” Maud said as she sat down next to Laguna.

“I-I guess so, but that doesn't make it fair. He had more to live for, he has a kid at home waiting for him! What am I even going to tell her?” Laguna began to berate himself silently, tears running down his cheek.

“There there.” Maud said as she pat Laguna’s head as he fell upon her shoulder.

After quite some time, Laguna head off to the mess hall tent to pick up something to eat. ‘Get yourself together. Sitting around moping won’t bring him back.’ He thought as he walked in, all eyes present falling on him.

He quickly got his food and sat down at an empty table, doing his best to ignore the outside world. “So how's it going?” Rainbow asked as she sat down in front of Laguna, whom had decided to play with his food.

“I’m feeling better I guess. So how are you holding up?” Laguna asked as Maud and Pinkie sat down joining them.

“We lost someone dear to us, but we must move on.” Maud said as she took a bite of her hay sandwich.

“She’s right, but it's still sad thought.” Pinkie said with shrug

Laguna’s spirits only fell further. ‘I guess they weren't as close to him as I was…’

The group finished their meals in silence, stealing their resolve for the coming days.