• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 2,403 Views, 23 Comments

Hero factory; Equestrian Breakout - SidwaysStraxus



When a breakout occurs, the villians are sent to equestria, and heroes and ponies must team up

  • ...
3
 23
 2,403

Chapter 2 - Countdown of the stars

Rainbow Dash wasn’t exactly happy after being sent to collect storm clouds from the north. It didn’t help that her companion for the journey was way too slow. She was getting impatient fast.

“Come on!” she shouted at Frostbite. “We’ll be late if you don’t speed up!” She never liked to be slowed down because of her teammates. At last Frostbite stopped and looked over to her.

“You know, Inferno was correct about the clouds.”

“Really? After all this time of me rushing you to get the job done faster, that’s all you have to say?! No, ‘quit rushing me’ or ‘it’s better to get a job done right, rather than fast?’!”

“You’re stereotyping me because you believe this mask makes me look like a ninja, aren’t you?”

Dash flinched. She actually had been doing that. “Um… well…yeah”

“Just as I thought, and for the record I’m not going fast because I doubt you have the ability to keep up with me for the duration of the trip.”

Rainbow dash turned to look at the stallion. “Are you saying that you’re faster than me!?”

“That isn’t what I’m saying-”

“Then prove it!”

“But I-”

“Right now!”

“What?”

“From here to Stable town! Last one there has to drag all the clouds back home!”

“It’s no use.” he thought. “She’s not going to let it drop, like Inferno.”

“I’ll even give you a head start!” Rainbow Dash boasted “just to see the look on your face when I leave you in the dust”

“Fine.” Frostbite could already see how this would end. Badly.


Fluttershy was wandering around the edge of the Everfree forest. The mayor had asked her to help out with the new weather pony after an accident in market square. Angel was riding along on her back, nibbling on a carrot. Fluttershy looked around. Sparker told her that the new pegasus was arranging clouds that had drifted towards the forest. “I hope she isn’t in a bad mood.” she whispered quietly to herself.

“Lousy stupid rainclouds!” a voice cried out. Fluttershy jumped up and hid in a bush. The only time she had ever heard a voice that angry was when Gilda the griffon shouted at her. She peeked out of the bush and looked around. In the sky was an orange coated pegasus with a red mane and a fire cutie mark. Fluttershy stepped out of the bush.

“Excuse me” she called, in a whisper.

The Pegasus didn’t hear her, and kept trying to move a large cluster of rainclouds.

“Excuse me” she called again, barely louder than the first time.

The Pegasus still couldn’t hear her, and tried to push the clouds away from the forest.

She drew in a deep breath and tried to shout.

“Excuse me”

Once again, her attempt to get her attention had failed. Angel bunny just face pawed. She jumped up on Fluttershy’s head, snapped of a bit of the carrot and threw it at the pegasus.

*Boink*

“What the?”

Then the rabbit whistled to get the pegasus’s attention. Inferno had finally noticed the shy pegasus and the rabbit, and glided down in front of them. The look of anger on her face had subsided to one of confusion.

“Is there a reason you need me, or do you two go around throwing bits of food at others for fun?”

“Oh no not at all, I just couldn’t get your attention, I’m very sorry” Fluttershy apologized.

Inferno stood well over Fluttershy’s height, about the same size as Princess Luna, and just about as intimidating to Fluttershy. “well?” the pegasus started, “is there something you need me for?”

“um well… mayor mare said that you needed some help-”

“I don’t need help with these rainclouds.” the pegasus growled. “If she believes that I don’t know what I’m doing, then she’s wrong.”

“umm, it’s not with the clouds-”

“When I am asked to help with the weather, the job gets done better and faster, so go back to your mayor and tell her I don’t need help!”

“It’s not the clouds; it’s something more about your temper.” Fluttershy whimpered, quite startled by her sudden change in mood.

“What.”

“She said that you needed someone to help with your short temper.”

Inferno looked like she was about to snap at the startled pegasus, but she stopped herself. She thought for a moment before turning to face her again. “Fine” she groaned. “I’m sorry I yelled at you. But there’s one thing I want you to do.”

Fluttershy smiled, she was quite happy about the new pegasus. “And that would be?”

“Just don’t tell me how to do my job.”


“So you’re Princess Celestia’s star pupil?” Sparker asked

“Yes, I was sent here originally to oversee the setup for the summer sun festival about a year ago. But now I stay here to study the magic of friendships.” Twilight was quite happy talking to Sparker; he showed a lot of interest in the town.

“It sounds a lot easier than my job; I work at the interdimesional research facility of Equestria in the Everfree forest.”

Twilight was shocked, most ponies wouldn’t even dare enter the Everfree forest, and the only one she knew lived there was Zecora. “You live in the Everfree forest!?”

“Well, the research facility is top security, and what better place to put it than in the middle of the one place no one dares set foot in.” Sparker replied, looking rather smug.

“So you know about the supernova?” Twilight questioned.

Sparker’s face quickly turned from smug to melancholic “Oh, right that’s happening tomorrow night.” He groaned. “it’s going to be another one of those weeks.”

Twilight didn’t expect his reaction. “what’s wrong?”

The stallion unicorn sighed. “It means that there is a very high chance of dimensional incursions, which means I’ll have to go all across the country, trying to see if anything got dropped in, or fell out of our world, and then I have to regulate the power to open the dimensional portal in order to send or bring back the foreign object. And none of it is a walk in the park.”

“Well, at least you’re keeping Equestria safe…” Twilight Sparkle said, in an attempt to comfort the sad stallion.

“Yes, but since we’re so top secret, we never get any thanks other than from a bunch of stuffy bureaucrats, the princess, and our leader.” He complained “and personally I doubt that the princess even means it when she thanks us. It’s always the same form letter I bet.”

“But it’s an important job to do, and you know that-”

“What? Someone has to do it? like managing the elements of harmony? Of course you six get plenty of recognition, but I doubt that you have to go through the same grueling hard work that comes with keeping or world safe from things from other dimensions! All you have to ever do is charge up those little trinkets and point them at whatever has put the kingdom in a state of disaster! We have to hunt down anything that shouldn’t belong here day or night, and don’t even get me started on how hard it is to put them back!” with that he turned and ran off, grumbling all the way.

Twilight was speechless. She thought about it for a moment, even after the Nightmare Moon incident, they weren’t by any standards famous. Ponyville was a small town, and almost everybody knew everybody, especially Pinkie Pie. The closest they ever were to famous was when Fluttershy had a brief stint as a supermodel. And the fame they had gotten from defeating Nightmare Moon and Discord faded rather quickly. “Maybe he just feels unappreciated.” She thought.


“Ugh….” Rainbow dash groaned. She felt weak, and her wingtips heavy. “What happened?” the last thing she remembered was challenging that boastful pegasus to a race, and after she took off after she gave him a head start.

“so you’re awake” a voice called. “I was getting rather worried after you crashed.”

“I crashed? How!? When!?”

“Settle down, you flew too fast in cold weather, and the ice on your wings caused you to crash. You’re lucky you didn’t break your wings, with the speed you crashed at.” Frostbite called “However you’re in no condition to fly I’m afraid, I tried to warn you that you would crash in this weather, however you paid no mind to my advice and learned your lesson the hard way.”

Rainbow Dash looked around. She was on top of a raincloud that was moving slowly. She looked over the edge and saw Frostbite pushing the clump of clouds along smoothly. “uh… thanks…” she mumbled. Inside however, she was somewhat upset. Not only did she wind up crashing and hurting her wings, she also wound up leaving all the work to a pegasus she hardly knew. Not a very good first impression to make with a newcomer. “look, I’m sorry that you have to do the work all by yourself.”

“it was part of the deal.”

Rainbow dash blinked. “I’m sorry, what? I didn’t catch that.”

“you crashed right into the middle of town square, several minutes before I arrived, you won.”

Rainbow Dash felt a bit better then. “well I did tell you I was the fastest.”

“For the record, I said you couldn’t keep up with me in the weather. It is standard procedure to routinely remove ice and snow from your wings in order to properly and safely fly through cold climates. I’m much more used to flying through freezing climates.” He then stopped and turned to face the rainbow maned pegasus. “You, however sped at dangerously high speeds through a cold high altitude storm climate and nearly paid the ultimate price. Any other pegasus could have broken their neck.” He finished sternly. “Just like Inferno would have done. I can see why you two cannot stand each other, you’re almost exactly alike!”


“What do you mean ‘Just like her’?” Inferno asked. She and Fluttershy had been working with the clouds over sweet apple acres for several hours now.

“Well…” Fluttershy started “you two are both very devoted two your friends, for starters, you both are prideful from what you’ve told me.” She was quite happy that Inferno had warmed up to her company.

Then the heard a voice from below. “You’ve done a great job with those clouds” Fluttershy looked over to see the weather team leader. “You’ve managed to more than make up for lost time!”

Inferno certainly was proud, and it showed. “so we’ve got nothing to do until tomorrow right?” The weather manager nodded.

“Yes! I’ll see you tomorrow Fluttershy!” and she flew off into the forest.

Fluttershy simply waved back and flew back towards her cottage as the sun slowly began to set.


Twilight sparkle was staring through her telescope at the night sky, searching for the star the princess had wrote about.

“Whatcha doin’ twilight?”

“Gah!” the unicorn jumped into the air. “Pinkie! Haven’t I told you to not sneak up on me!? What if I was practicing a spell and you caused it to backfire!?”

“Don’t be silly, the author won’t be using that silly excuse for this fanfic!”

“What do you- never mind…” Twilight sighed. As always, Pinkie Pie was being Pinkie Pie. “I’ve been trying to find that star that’s supposed to be going supernova tomorrow night.”

“Let me try!” Pinkie pushed Twilight away from the telescope, and span it as hard as she could. When it came to a stop, she peered through it. “Found it!”

Twilight stared at her in disbelief, checking the telescope to see that, indeed she had found the star. “how did you do that?”

“oh, it was easy-woah!” the pink pony began jittering like crazy. “f-f-full b-b-b-body shud-d-d-der”

Twilight gasped. She knew that meant a real doozy was about to happen. She was about to rush over to her friends side when a gleam of light caught her eye. She looked up and saw a blinding light in the sky. “The star!” then, before she could react, she was blinded by a light brighter than Celestia’s sun, a light that blanketed all of equestria.

However, unknown to all the ponies below, from the light, a group of twenty figures decended to the planet below.