• Published 20th Mar 2018
  • 4,609 Views, 56 Comments

The Best Poker Face - Chemtest

  • ...
38
 56
 4,609

Fear

Fear... innocence... food... awaken!

He slowly gains consciousness from his thousand year nap, quickly absorbing the environment around him.

He quickly picks up on the fact that he is trapped in stone, and seems to be in the middle of a garden.

We must feed.

A class of foals, taking a field trip to the Canterlot Garden from Ponyville, walk up to his statue. The teacher, Cheerilee, smiles, “Here, we have a statue made in the likeness of the fictional character known as Slendermane. It is said that he reigned terror across Equestria for a decade, and that he is the Spirit of Fear itself. This statue was apparently carved from three different types of stone by Adolf Hoofler. It is apparently the most accurate representation of him in all the lands!”

One foal raises their hoof, “Why did he do the stuff with the terror, Miss Cheerilee?”

She nods, “Very good question, and one that was never answered in any tale about him. However, some ponies theorize that he may be a Changeling Crossbreed that needs to feed off fear to survive.”

The same foal asks another question, “Why does he just eat regular food?”

She looks at the foal, and smiles, “Well, certain creatures need to use magic in order to hold their form together. We are lucky enough to make magic, and not use enough of it, so we can exist on only physical food. However, creatures such as changelings need to feed off magical energy, namely emotions, so that they won’t turn to dust.”

Another foal raises their hoof, “Why is he wearing that strange dark suit?”

Cheerilee looks back at him, “It is not known exactly why, but just like before there are many theories. Some say that the dark suit is a representation of his soul and magic, and that it serves as a type of barrier so he won’t be harmed. Others say that he uses it to blend into the darkness of the Everfree Forest. Even more say that he was once a pony who was turned into this form when at a fancy party. We can’t say for sure, all we know is that every tale describes his suit, so he always had it.”

A yellow filly raises her hoof, “W-What happened to his face?”

Cheerilee motions her hoof, “It is said that he might come from someplace very dark, so he naturally lost his eyes. Others say that his face is a giant eye, or a giant nose, or a giant egg. This, as well, was not covered in any tales. But, if you look close, you may see the hint of something underneath. Some say that the blank face is only a mask, and his true face is underneath.”

The foals all look at his face, and the voice inside of him screams.

Feed!

He summons the little remaining energy to his face, and distorts it’s look.

The foals all back up as they see a large smile break out on his face, yet none can look away as it begins to drip blood.

Slight bits of fear are fed to him, giving him more and more power.

Stone starts to break off, and his dark tendrils spread out around him.

The fear increases even more, giving him a surplus.

He gathers all of it up into a single burst, and breaks out of the stone prison.

The voice shouts once more.

Feed more!

He looks towards the children, but he takes control at the last second.

He dusts off his suit, and nods, “Hello, I suppose I should thank you.” He stretches his limbs, “Oh, and your teacher got it wrong, my name is Slenderman.” He turns from them, “Sorry for the scare, but I needed it.”

He searches his body, and finds very few of his powers still intact. He can only feel enough energy to Slender Walk, and sense those around him.

He uses this power to retreat from the situation he finds himself in, not wanting to see the terrified faces of the children.

He arrives in the middle of his territory, only to look around with confusion written all over his face.

What used to be the middle of the Everfree Forest is now a peaceful cottage with animals running all around it.

They cut down your domain... slaughter them! Take their fear!

He staggers, holding a hand to his head as he is assaulted with the angry voice.

He shouts, “Shut up! We will not do anything to them!”

You are weaker than I, you know you will fall.

He shakes his head, “I will never allow you to have control! Not if you are going to kill everything!”

We need more powers! We need more fear!

He staggers, only to find something supporting him from behind.

He looks down, and sees a fluffy husky sitting at his feet, looking at him with concern. He reaches down, and rubs the dogs’ head.

He takes a few deep breaths, and sits on the ground.

He allows his tendrils to spread around him, and he continues the repetitive motion of scratching the dog’s head. He takes deep breaths, and loses himself in the nature around him.

———

Spike burps suddenly, a letter flying out of the green flame.

Twilight takes the letter, and reads Celestia’s call to arms.

She nods, and sets off the get the other Elements.

———

Six sets of hooves walk up the path to the Everfree Forest, ready for their enemy to jump out of every shadow around them.

Slenderman stirs in his meditation, hearing the six get closer.

He looks at the animals that have decided to land on him as he meditated, “You might want torte out of here, things might get violent.”

They all listen, going to the woods or the cottage.

Slenderman stays still as the six approach.

Twilight looks at him, “Odd, usually there’d be a monologue of some sort before we fight.”

Slender looks towards her, using the fear from the yellow one to unlock a new power. His mind is automatically filled with information about her. Fears, joys, name, major actions. After he is done, he nods, “Saying such implies that I want to fight, Miss Sparkle.”

Rainbow snorts, “Whatever, let’s just take him down.”

Slenderman looks right at her, “Please don’t. I have no wish to harm you.”

Rainbow flies at him, her hoof leading the way.

But she is stopped when her hoof is caught by a tendril, “You are very brave to charge at me like that, but I do not wish to fight.” He looks past her, to Twilight, “You have the ear of Princess Celestia, don’t you? I ask of you a simple favor, to pass along a message. That I still wish for peace, and am willing to forgive. All I want is to talk, not fight.” He nods, “Please, think over sending it to her. Or perhaps you wish to speak to me more before you do? It does not matter to me. I retire to my forest.”

Twilight is left with his words in her head as he dissapears into the Forest.