• Published 3rd Aug 2012
  • 1,201 Views, 44 Comments

A Different Kind of Pony - thatwheelchairguy



Can a pegasus born into an earth pony family find his place in Equestria?

  • ...
1
 44
 1,201

A Beginning

“Gather around now, everypony, and listen to my tale. This isn’t your everyday normal pony tale, no for this is a special story. Some say it never happened, some say it’s over exaggeration and all hooha. But believe me when I tell you my dearies, the story I am about to tell you is one near and dear to me. For you see, I was there. This is the story about a young, extraordinary Pegasus, who was born to two earth ponies. Some say what happened was impossible, while others, such as myself, believe it to be a miracle. This is his story, for he was indeed, a different kind of pony.”

<<(@)>>

Bass was born and raised in a small town on the edge of Manehatten to the parents of Rolan and Abigail Iron. His father worked as a farm hoof on a nearby produce farm while his mother ran and owned a small book store. When the Irons found out they were pregnant, they were excited, however, as the delivery date approached Abigail Iron began having complications, forcing her to have her baby a month and a half early. The two nurses brought the incubator into the room for the newborn foal.


“Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Iron, it's a baby colt," the doctor proclaimed.


Both parents eagerly looked through the see thru top of the life support machine, seeing for the first time their brand new child. He had a soft grey coat, the mane and tail a dazzling white. They couldn't see the baby’s eyes since they were squeezed shut. What surprised the couple most were the objects attached to the colt's back; Wings.


The next time the doctor came Rolan asked him, explaining how nopony on either side had a family member with wings for generations. The doctor immediately summoned two technicians and had blood drawn from both parents and the baby. They waited anxiously for hours before the doctor came back with a chart.


"I have good news and bad news," he said, looking sympathetically at the new parents. "The good news is, this baby is indeed both of yours." Abigail sighed in relief while Rolan just held his wife's hoof. "And the bad?" he asked quietly. The doctor put the chart down and walked over to the couple, looking down at the baby pegasus sleeping soundly. "Mrs. Abigail, you have anemia. The reason you had these complications is because your heart wasn't pumping enough blood to support both you and your baby. There is medication however, an iron pill once a day and you'll be fine. By the way, have you come up with a name for him yet?"


Both ponies just looked at him in shock; they had been so excited at the thought of becoming parents they had neglected to think of a name. Abigail was the first to speak up, "Not yet, but as soon as we know we will be sure to tell you."


Some techs had been kind enough to bring in a small cot for Rolan to sleep on so he could stay with his wife and child, as if he was going to let them keep him away from his family. He was so excited he couldn't sleep. Of course during the day, with the doctor coming and going he had been strong and stoic for his wife. He looked over at her now, passed out in her bed, the poor girl had an exhausting day. Roland decided he may as well try sleeping; he had a busy day tomorrow. Closing his eyes, he could hear the soft snoring of his wife, the low beeping of the machine holding his child. HIS! He smiled at the thought; Rolan Iron was officially a father! Just as he began drifting off he heard a sound.


Thud thud thud thud


These young ponies nowadays and their music, didn’t they know that some ponies were trying to rest after a strenuous day?


Thud thud thud thud


There it was again and this time it was louder. Rolan sat up angrily, he didn't want his family being disturbed after the day they had had. He cocked his ears, waiting to hear it again so he could inform a nurse or at least security. However, when he finally did hear it he couldn't believe the source.


Thud thud thud thud


It was coming from inside the room; the noise he had been hearing was coming from the life support machine holding his baby. Getting up and walking towards the glow of the machine, the stallion looked as if in a trance.


Thud thud thud thud


Gathering up his courage, Rolan looked through the viewport at his son. Instead of being asleep, the baby was looking right back at his father. Dark blue eyes meeting brilliant turquoise. He couldn’t believe it!


Thud thud thud thud


Looking down at his son's back, he saw that the wings were flapping, hitting the sides of the machine.


"Abi!" he whispered excitedly. “Abi!” Rolan trotted over to her, shaking his wife awake. Abi was not exactly happy about being woken up. Right as she was about to tear into him, she looked over and saw her husband with a goofy smile on his face, "Look!" was all he could say, lightly tapping on the machine holding their son. Leaning her head over, she gasped at what she saw. Two brilliant turquoise eyes staring back into her brown ones. That’s when she heard it.


Thud thud thud thud


Looking away from the baby pegasus’ eyes, Abigail saw what was making her husband so excited. Sitting there with his tiny legs folded under him, the baby was flapping his wings and they were hitting the sides, creating the thuds she had heard. "Sounds like a drum, no?" she asked her husband quietly. Rolan could only nod. He looked up and met the eyes of his best friend and knew immediately what she was thinking.

"Let’s name him Bass."