• Published 11th Feb 2018
  • 295 Views, 1 Comments

the game of the mad god - vustrunreyth



fun, mayhem, metal and death. the ultimate intergalactic and interdimensional game show.

  • ...
 1
 295

let the games begin!

Twilight sparkle. One second, happily embroiled in yet Another late night study session. An instant later, the world around her vanished fallowed closely by the sensation of a sudden transition through time and space. Like that of a teleport spell but one forced upon rather then initiated by her. however, This forced teleportation did not feel like a normal teleportation. It was slower and much more turbulent. She felt in that instant, the sensation being disassembled on the molecular level and whisked away piece by piece across a vast incalculable distance where she was being reassembled in a similar fashion. In this instant, she could feel her body where she was and where she was going at the same time.

It was not pleasant.

The world around her popped in as suddenly as it had popped out. her scrambled brain realized a moment before gravity took effect that she was, in fact, up in the air. She screamed as she fell a short distance and landed on something solid with a metalic clang! A few seconds later as her head cleared enough that she became aware of metal platform she was currently laying on gently bobbing up and down as if it where floating. She opened her eyes and looked around, she saw that she was laying on an angular metal plate surrounded by a thick fog that obscured the world around her. A short distance to her front was an oblong dome of opaque material set in a large depression that curved away from her. She felt the platform under her vibrating gently as it slowly rotated in a circle.

She soon became aware that audio was returning slowly. First came a muffled groan that developed into a low rumble that matched the vibrations perfectly. As the sounds around her faded in she was able to make out a voice, it was feminine, soothing, but with an urgent undertone

"Mam? Mam, are you unharmed? Can you hear me? Please respond if you can."

Twilight shook her head groggily as a wave a nausea washed over her "I think so... Who are you? Where am I? Whats going on?"

The voice responded with a note of relief "my designation is JJ-8801. We are in an arena called the thunder dome. Apparently, you have been selected as my replacement teammate."

Twilight's head snapped up as she looked around for the source of the voice. "Wait. What? Replacement teammate? What happened to the last one!?"

"Deceased. Cause of death, catastrophic blood loss." the voice said matter of factly.

A shiver ran up Twilight's spine "why me? Why am i here?" She asked nervously, still trying to locate the source of the voice.

"I am a technological combatant, You are a magical combatant. According to the rules of the arena. A technological is to be paired with a magical. My previous teammate was a bipedal canid specialising it pyrokinesis. I survived the requisite 168 hours since my teammates time of death, and the game masters selected a replacement M.C from a list of candidates." The voice replied mater of factly.

Twilight stood up, flaring her wings "What?! Candidate?! Game?! You just told me that you're last partner died! And this is some sort of game?! I never signed up for anything! I demand to be returned home at once!" She yelled stomping her hoof in frustration. Producing a a sharp clack as her hoof met metal.

After a short pause the voice replied soothingly "Mam, Please calm down. To answer your questions. Yes, wile I am not privy to the selection process, I do know it is not voluntary. Selections are based solely on aptitude in a given category. Yes, this is a game, the announcer is likely presenting you to the viewing audience as we speak. Yes my last partner died a week ago. No, They wont send you home. Once you are here. You are here till you win... Or die. At witch point you will be returned to your place of origin shortly after your time of capture. In whatever condition you are in when leaving the arena."

Twilight paled, shrinking back slightly "You mean... If I die... My dead body will be transported back home? That's horrible! Your're horrible! How could you let your teammate die? And then turn around and speak so nonchalantly about it!? Like it was nothing! How could you talk about him like you didn't care that he died? Wasn't he your friend?!" She stomped her hoof for emphasis, producing another loud clang.

The platform shuddered as the voice growled "Stop striking me! I just saved your life! I did not know my last teammate very long. I don't even know his name. The hellhound was transported in much the same fashion you were. But unlike you, he was much to large for me to catch and we where driven to the ground where a swarm of Culicidae descended upon us. I could do nothing while I was pinned under his thrashing body as he was feasted upon. I sat there for an hour, pinned under his corpse until the last of the Culicidae left the immediate area and his corpse was transported away. After which I returned to the air and set about surviving until your arrival was announced. I located the arrival beacon and waited beneath it so I could catch you... your welcome by the way."

twilight glared at the mist around her "striking you? I'm not striking...you..." she gazed down at her forhooves. "oh dear... I'm standing on you... aren't I?" she sat down and stared glumly at the plating beneath her "I'm sorry. I didn't realise... I didn't hurt you did I? This is all so sudden... I don't want to die... I just want to go home."

loud pops erupted from somewhere beneath twilight. a moment later she herd the voice of her savior say urgently "hold on tight. The other combatants fighting, likely over the opportunity to kill the new arrival, you. I have to get you
somewhere safer so I can properly acclimate you to life in the arena. I cannot guarantee our survival. but I promise you, I will protect you to the best of my ability. I do hope you get the chance to return to your friends and loved ones one day."

Twilight hunkered down, hooking her forehooves on the edge on the depression in front of her as she felt her savior accelerate away from the sound of combat "thank you. what do I call you?

"A long time ago, someone I considered a friend called me JJ." the voice said quietly

Twilight nuzzled the metal beneath her "Thank you for saving me JJ. my name is Twilight."

"Your welcome twilight."

Author's Note:

i am new to this. any constructive critique is alway welcome. hope you enjoy!

Comments ( 1 )

All in all a very well thought out story! There are a few capitalization errors and missing commas in a few places (once i get to my laptop I can proofread it better), but other than that, this story looks really promising. Keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment