• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 2,330 Views, 30 Comments

A Secret Never Told - NightmaresKiss



A short story about Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

  • ...
10
 30
 2,330

Chapter III - A Funeral For A Friend

A Secret Never Told
By NightmaresKiss
Chapter III – A Funeral For A Friend

Rainbow was roused by the sound of Twilight's voice. She slowly opened her eyes and saw the purple mare standing in front of her. Twilight was wearing a concerned expression, and was looking at Rainbow with a saddened look.

“Are you OK, Rainbow?” Twilight asked.

“Of course” Replied Rainbow. “Why wouldn't I be?” She was trying to hide her true emotions, but didn't do a good job. Twilight saw right through her.

“I used the same spell as the one I used on the Best Young Flier Competition, so I could come see you” Twilight said.

“I figured” Rainbow replied. She seemed a bit annoyed.

Twilight looked at all the mess in the room, and became even more concerned. All the empty bottles. The night table buried in tissues. All the furniture that was damaged and out of place, and not to mention the broken mirror with all it's pieces strewn across the floor. Rainbow was still laying on the floor, with her head bend down so she didn't have to look Twilight in the eyes.

Twilight spoke in a soft voice; “Oh, Rainbow. You mustn't do this to yourself. It wasn't your fault.”

“Yes it was” Answered the cyan pony, with her eyes still staring down.

“There was nothing you could do...” Twilight started, but Rainbow got up and cut her off.

“Yes there was! You weren't there. You don't know what happened!” Rage was blazing in her eyes, much like it had done the previous night. “I just stood there and let her fall.”

Rainbow turned around and stared into the wall. “I want you to leave” she said.

“But Rainbow...” Answered Twilight.

“Please, just leave” Rainbow interrupted, still staring into the wall.

Twilight stared to walk her way out of the room, but stopped in the doorway. “The funeral is tomorrow morning at 10. You have to come.” She said.

Rainbow continued standing still, silently staring at the wall. Twilight closed the door and reluctantly left Rainbows residence. As she heard the door close, Rainbow closed her eyes. She didn't want to go to the funeral. All the unfriendly eyes looking at her, judging her. Everybody would think it was her fault, everybody would hate her. She didn't want to go, but deep down she knew she had to. She had to pay her respects, and say her final goodbye.

The day was slowly going towards Evening. The sun was waning and the sky outside was turning orange. Rainbow was looking out the window. The sky reminded her of that horrible night. It seemed so long ago. Like some distant memory, or a dream. But she knew it wasn't. She knew it was all the cold reality. She spent the rest of the night pacing back and forth in her bedroom, dreading the day that would come. The funeral of the pony she loved, and everybody that attended knew she was the reason they all were gathered there.

Time went by. Stars appeared in the sky and the moon shined brightly. Rainbow wasn't tired at all, in fact she wouldn't be able to sleep if her life depended on it. Fear kept her awake, and suddenly her bedroom started to light up. The sun was rising, shining its beautiful light through her windows. She had stayed up all night, without realizing. She wished she could stop time. Rainbow laid down in her bed, but she didn't close her eyes. She just laid there, staring intently at the pictures on the wall. The only sound to be heard was her own breath.

The clock had barely struck nine when there was a silent knock on the door. Rainbow was unsure that she had heard something, and thought that it may had been her imagination. Then after a few seconds there was another soft knock. Rainbow had an idea about who it was, and she got out of bed and started walking towards the door. She opened it and wasn't surprised. The knock came from a yellow pony with a pink mane. Rainbow had guessed that it was Fluttershy that was at the door, but she seemed different from the pony she knew. She was wearing a black dress and a veil that hid her saddened face. Her eyes was at the brink of tears. Soft sobs could be heard from behind the veil.

“Are you ready?” The yellow pony uttered. Rainbow noticed that Fluttershy wasn't even looking at her, she kept her gaze towards the ground. As much as Rainbow didn't want to go, she couldn't say no to Fluttershy. Seeing her in this state tore her heart apart, and she finally realized that she wasn't the only one burnt by the fire she had lit.

“How could I be so selfish?” She thought to herself and she answered Fluttershy. “Give me a minute.” She said and walked back into her house.

As she walked towards her room she could her a faint “OK” coming from Fluttershy. It was as low as a whisper, but Rainbow heard it clearly as daylight. Rainbow started tearing up, but controlled herself. She hated seeing Fluttershy like this.

As Rainbow got inside her room, she opened her wardrobe and quickly rummaged through her clothes. She didn't own any large amount of attires, but she knew she hat one particular black dress. She pulled the dress out of the wardrobe and put it on. As she began to walk back out, she caught a glimpse of herself in one of the larger mirror shards laying on the ground. She didn't look any better now then she had done in the last encounter of her reflection, and she couldn't even look herself in her own eyes. She continued walking out of the room. Fluttershy had turned around, and was looking out towards the horizon.

It was a warm summer morning. The sun shone brightly from behind a few morning clouds. It seemed unreal that a beautiful day like this was filled with so much sorrow. Fluttershy heard Rainbow coming, and slowly started walking to the edge of the cloud. Rainbow came up to her side. She looked at Fluttershy's face, but the yellow pony continued to stare forwards. Fluttershy spread her wings and flew off. Rainbow stared at her for a few seconds before she flew after her.